PDA

View Full Version : Old school judo power exercises

WELSHPOWER
09-11-2009, 06:28 PM
After 7 years of doing Judo and training all over the UK, I came across the power exercises the japanese used to develop huge amounts of strength!

So here we go guys hope some are helpful and kind of unique!!

Jefferson Lift (Leg and lower back)
Designed to promote leg power and flexibility, also develops lower back strength.

http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/jefferson.jpg

WELSHPOWER
09-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Incline dumbbell cris-cross (Chest)

Like a standard incline flye, but the palms are facing your legs, not palms facing. and at the top of the flye you cross hands.

Upright rows

Hands close thumb touching thumb, when you bring the bar up dont stop at chin level, bring it to the forehead.
Doing this brings in more traps and neck!

Barbell strict curl
Like a normal curl but you do it back against the wall so you cant cheat!

Seated dumbbell curl and press
curl the dumbbells and then press them overhead!

Heavy dumbbell cleans

One-arm dumbbell swings

Barbell power cleans

Barbell pullover and press

Power clean curls

Hack lift

WELSHPOWER
09-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I have a extremely strong grip that i have developed from years of Judo, when i was training i used to use my GI (training suit) as part of my workout.

By this i mean i used to put it over my chinup bar grab the lapels which are thick and start doing chins, its the same as towel chins but harder!

I also did this with t-bar rows, Jefferson lift etc.

Also from Judo and constant randori (sparring) gripping the GI all the time you develop such a strong grip.

Its the same as my leg strength, i developed it from Judo constantly lifting people that were double my weight and squating them, running up hills with someone on my back.
You dont always need a bar to development leg strength, think outside the box.

Do farmers walks up a hill or up a set of steps!
You'd be surprised how much more benefit you'll get!!

just thought id post up some usual info on training and gripping!!

JLucas
09-12-2009, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the contribution, Im a blue belt in TKD but would like to pursue some Judo training to develop my clinch/takedown ability for my MMA bouts.

Larry C
09-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Very cool, I did judo for a few months learning from a Russian guy and the first thing I noticed was his crazy grip strength. Would you do the weights workouts during your judo sessions or earlier in the day? I want to get back to martial arts and lifting so have to sort out a decent routine where I can make muscular gains but not be destroyed for the martial arts classes.

WELSHPOWER
09-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Very cool, I did judo for a few months learning from a Russian guy and the first thing I noticed was his crazy grip strength. Would you do the weights workouts during your judo sessions or earlier in the day? I want to get back to martial arts and lifting so have to sort out a decent routine where I can make muscular gains but not be destroyed for the martial arts classes.

never weight train during judo training for obvious reasons, yeah the russians are extremely strong!! for judo best doing a powerlifting routine, bodybuilding is no good!

GREENMACHINE23
09-12-2009, 11:33 PM
After 7 years of doing Judo and training all over the UK, I came across the power exercises the japanese used to develop huge amounts of strength!

So here we go guys hope some are helpful and kind of unique!!

Jefferson Lift (Leg and lower back)
Designed to promote leg power and flexibility, also develops lower back strength.

http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/jefferson.jpg

Great post! Took a semester of Judo while in college. I learned a lot more in that class about life in general. Would like to pick it up again someday.

WELSHPOWER
09-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Great post! Took a semester of Judo while in college. I learned a lot more in that class about life in general. Would like to pick it up again someday.

yes its a good martial art to learn, you develop alot of grip, leg, back and all over body power.

BrotherIron
09-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Some bbers have the Jefferson Lift in their routine. I believe Kai Greene attributed it to helping his leg development.

A lot of strength athletes perform this movement, SM and Oly lifters.

WELSHPOWER
09-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Some bbers have the Jefferson Lift in their routine. I believe Kai Greene attributed it to helping his leg development.

A lot of strength athletes perform this movement, SM and Oly lifters.

Yes kai does it super light he doesnt go heavy from what i read in MD, never heard many athletes do it to be honest.

BrotherIron
09-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Yes kai does it super light he doesnt go heavy from what i read in MD, never heard many athletes do it to be honest.

I don't consider bbers athletes. I know several strength athletes who do them in SM and Oly lifting.

WELSHPOWER
09-13-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't consider bbers athletes. I know several strength athletes who do them in SM and Oly lifting.

ok no need to take it personal. im from the UK and dont know any BODYBUILDERS or athletes that do them here

BrotherIron
09-14-2009, 12:15 AM
ok no need to take it personal. im from the UK and dont know any BODYBUILDERS or athletes that do them here

lol, I'm not taking it personally bud. I was just saying that several peeps I know use old school exercises like that.

bad bad leroy brown
09-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Great stuff, always good to be on the lookout to add new things to your arsenal