PDA

View Full Version : Surprise, surprise...

Gaoshang Xiongshou
02-23-2009, 10:05 AM
For the average, everyday, casual gym goer, the sight of a woman seriously training (and harder than them, I might add) is probably quite the eye opening experience. Anyone get any really strange or shocked looks when you pull out a really good old school exercise, or move weight that would make most men cry?

Sistersteel
02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
haha! Its a sight for sore eyes.

I do not get the stares too often anymore though. I been training at the same location for so many years that most of the crowd knows me. Sometimes I feel like I blend in because hardly anyone notices me anymore.
The other day though, a friend of mine was in the sauna and told me that he overheard the guys in there talking about me. So I guess people make an effort NOT to stare anymore but whisper about in the men's room. I guess I should be flattered. lol

Kelly Baker
02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I'll tell Valkyrie to check out this thread. She gets this stuff with her single arm DB rows.

tiramisu
02-23-2009, 12:46 PM
I fell into the opposite world by accident and in the last gym I spent time in there were about a half dozen fairly serious women. One made it to the olympia and I have no idea how the others did. I just thought it was normal for women to squat more than me. I figured it had something to do with carrying babies... lol.

Seriously though one's perspective of what is normal is shaped by the environment you find yourself in. I had no idea whatsoever that there were "elite" athletes in the room. I just figured I was a beginner and I'd get there soon enough.

The women were clearly stronger than me and they squatted and dead lifted. The men were mostly young, generally doing biceps curls and dumbbell presses and mostly weren't that strong.

So I learned to work out like a girl.

GirlyMuscle
02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
I fell into the opposite world by accident and in the last gym I spent time in there were about a half dozen fairly serious women. One made it to the olympia and I have no idea how the others did. I just thought it was normal for women to squat more than me. I figured it had something to do with carrying babies... lol.

Seriously though one's perspective of what is normal is shaped by the environment you find yourself in. I had no idea whatsoever that there were "elite" athletes in the room. I just figured I was a beginner and I'd get there soon enough.

The women were clearly stronger than me and they squatted and dead lifted. The men were mostly young, generally doing biceps curls and dumbbell presses and mostly weren't that strong.

So I learned to work out like a girl.I like you already!

SallyAnne
02-23-2009, 01:09 PM

So I learned to work out like a girl.

That's freakin' awesome. lol

quadrablue
02-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Too funny. On Friday I asked two young guys if one of them could spot me on db shoulder presses. They looked at each other stunned. It wasn't even heavy!! For the heavy set I asked a girl lol Jackasses!!!!

SallyAnne
02-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Too funny. On Friday I asked two young guys if one of them could spot me on db shoulder presses. They looked at each other stunned. It wasn't even heavy!! For the heavy set I asked a girl lol Jackasses!!!!

I have the opposite thing going on. There's a power lifter in my gym and when he needs a spotter, he bypasses all the posers and asks me. It's a great thing, because he now returns the favor for me. I don't think we've spoken 10 words to each other over the course of 6 months, but we spot each other. lol

Angela123
02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
haha...when you are waiting for the leg press and the stupid ass college guy gets off it and starts to take the plates off. you just smile say, "no, keep them." then move him out of the way as you load it up with more plartes. while he watches out of the corner of his eye while he pretends to be busy doing something else.

or standing side by side doing DB curls with the same weight as the guy next to you. then u see the guy next to you notice it and they go to heavier DBs but they clearly have a hard time with them but refuse to go back down to the "same weight as the woman is using."

sassy69
02-23-2009, 04:04 PM
The security guy at my gym asked if I'm a pro bodybuilder on Saturday.

That made my whole week.

Made a guy feel bad about his 70 lb DB row when I moved around him for the 100 lbs & was complaining about still recovering from my shoulder surgery.

Angela123
02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
wow sassy. that would make my week too..it make my whole year. id tell people about it all the time lol.

lol at ur last comment. damn 100 lbs and a shoudler injury....

SallyAnne
02-23-2009, 05:28 PM
wow sassy. that would make my week too..it make my whole year. id tell people about it all the time lol.

lol at ur last comment. damn 100 lbs and a shoudler injury....

lol Sass is grumbling "damn light weights. I wish my shoulder would heal". :D

sassy69
02-23-2009, 05:59 PM
lol Sass is grumbling "damn light weights. I wish my shoulder would heal". :D

LOL I have to go to a different gym to go > 100 lb DBs....

That's what I really hate... but I guess I don't hate it enough to bring my own roll of duct tape to add 10 lb plates to the DBs...

An option is to add resistance bands tho... haven't explored that.

Valkyrie
02-23-2009, 06:45 PM
The security guy at my gym asked if I'm a pro bodybuilder on Saturday.

That made my whole week.

Made a guy feel bad about his 70 lb DB row when I moved around him for the 100 lbs & was complaining about still recovering from my shoulder surgery.
That's great! :cool:

I split a knuckle wide open pinching it between 85's. I was putting them back to get the 90#...

I've had guys stop and check the weight on their DB's after training next. to me.

I had three guys stop dead and watch me do my rack pulls a few months back in the "Y" I was training in until I got home.

And the guy that took the cage to do barbell curls (light) while I did Romanian deads next to him...he was not so happy with me when I slapped two 45's on the bar to warm up.

A few times I've had guys not check the stack after I did legs on the seated press and not be able to press what I was just pressing.

I have a guy that shows up to train near me quite often when I get ready to do my pull-throughs. He has not made the mistake of getting directly behind me...that would really tick me off.

Today I was stripping off the 45 degree sled and a guy told me to leave it loaded. I looked over later and he had stripped off a plate each side. I'm down a couple plates. Good thing he didn't see what I was working at before I took a longish break!

The day I hit 195 on my squats garnered me some stares too.

Forgot about my zercher and pin-suspended work. (GM's and bench) That got me stares for a looong time! LOL!

Most everyone is used to me at my gym now. It's funny when I train away from home.