PDA

View Full Version : Where do you go now?

Gaoshang Xiongshou
02-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Another thread here talks about the use of drugs by Figure competitors today. Somewhere along the way, the conversation took a turn, and the "winning look" was brought up, and the example (NOT to suggest that the woman in question used any type of enhancement drug) provided was Meriza DeGuzman. In response to that, it was said that based on the current look that is being rewarded in Figure, Meriza's physique might still be too much.

The question I have is this: Where is one supposed to go if you or anyone can bring it on the stage like Meriza? Most women do not want to sacrifice the muscle, and like the shredded look for the stage. But at the same time, some do not feel like they can (or want to) make the move to bodybuilding, and Fitness is not a preferred option. Bikini would be unheard of.

So what is one to do? It seems that you are damned if you do, and damned if you do not, no matter what you choose.

Suzanne
02-23-2009, 10:51 AM
I love her look and it is what figure should be

but where to go i don't know
each person should bring to stage what makes them happy even if it means placing lower

DarinD
02-23-2009, 10:56 AM
I agree with Suzanne. My wife listened to the judges and lost alot of size to drop from the heavyweights and make the Light Heavies. She wasn't happy at all. She couldn't train the way she wanted to and had to eat next to nothing when dieting. She gains VERY easy even when being completely clean. You need to be happy with your body. I mean if all you really care about is the Pro card then you have to do what the judges dictate but if it's competing that you love then go in looking how you feel the best.

banger
02-23-2009, 11:07 AM
my wife making the switch from figure to bodybuilding... i can tell you that she is not happy, she has the type of body that requires her to be very lean for her waist to be small. she is dieting for two show's in late april earily may.

Kelly Baker
02-23-2009, 11:10 AM
I want to be happy with how I look on stage and I don't care what the judges think. It's so different show to show, why bother with what makes someone else happy? I love Meriza's look and I wish that's how it would be.

Allifit
02-23-2009, 10:15 PM
When you find out where the "tweeners" like me should go... by all means, inform me. Because right now I get teasingly called "a figure-builder" or "bodybuilder lite".

I'm homeless :)

lil mama
02-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Ahhhh Ali ur not homeless.... you belong wherever da heck u wanna b:D you have a awesome body and if you wanna do FBB then do it and if figure is where you'd rather b then do it:) your a go getter so go get mami;)

When you find out where the "tweeners" like me should go... by all means, inform me. Because right now I get teasingly called "a figure-builder" or "bodybuilder lite".

Melissa
02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
No doubt that Meriza's look is what figure should be and what most figure competitors/fans would like it to be. And being a "tweener" like Alli, I,too, have struggled with how to handle the changes.

Everyone is entitled to have their own reasons for participating in this or any other sport, but let's be serious, one of those reasons is to WIN. Maybe that reason is a higher priority for some, as I know it is for me, but the bottom line is you still participate in a competition/race/match, etc to win. And in a subjective sport, you win by bringing what the judges are looking for (the inconsistency in figure judging aside, here).

That being said, I definitely do this sport for myself and the sense of accomplishment I get from it (which also comes with placing well). But I also decided that I don't want to look like what the judges are pushing for figure. That made the decision to switch to bb pretty simple. The hard part was figuring out how to go about making that switch without looking like a figure girl that was told she's "a little too muscular for the new direction of figure." I want to look like a bb.

I know that I could have taken my usual 3 or 4 month offseason and competed again this spring as a bb, albeit a very small one. But I still would look like a figure competitor. Instead, I made the decision to take over a year off from competing and put on weight. For the past 7 months (and also for the next 5 months), I have been eating and training like a bb, and it couldn't be more different from my figure regimen. While I have made incredible strength and size gains, I have also had to learn how to be ok with being bigger and fatter at times. I have had to keep in mind that this is a means to an end, and I don't have to look like this every offseason. But if I want to look like a bb when I step on stage this year, these are some of the sacrifices that have to be made.

No, my offseason look is nothing like a lot of the women on here right now, or even like my own offseason look in the past. I'm smooth and fat, but I've meticulously followed a plan all along and have managed to keep some of my shape throughout. At this point, all I can do is hope that my work will pay off come show time.

After all my rambling, THAT is where I go now:D

Allifit
02-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Ahhhh Ali ur not homeless.... you belong wherever da heck u wanna b:D you have a awesome body and if you wanna do FBB then do it and if figure is where you'd rather b then do it:) your a go getter so go get mami;)

Aw thanks Beni....

as I've posted before I love FBB.... LOVE it. Many of the women I draw on inspiration from are FBB's. Many physiques I admire are FBBS. My trainer says I have "the soul of an FBB"...and I love to lift...

BUT

and this is a big but...

I am 5'6" 1/2 and I have long muscles, long limbs, long legs, none of which lend themselves to bbing as easily as one might think. have I considered the switch- yes of course. Does it still hang around in the back of my mind- most definitely. But I've only done ONE national level figure show.... just one. I need to do more to get a good idea of whether or not I have a shot at a pro card in figure.......after a few more under my belt I'll re-evaluate. Until then- expect to see my ass on the stage reppin' the muscular conditioned figure ladies.

:)

Angela123
02-24-2009, 11:10 AM
my wife making the switch from figure to bodybuilding... i can tell you that she is not happy, she has the type of body that requires her to be very lean for her waist to be small. she is dieting for two show's in late april earily may.

omg...i feel so bad for her! why would she switch if she is not happy? i switched but i am very happy! you should do what makes you happy. b4 i switched..i came in as hard as i wanted to and kept right on lifting heavy and i also was flexing on stage even tho my trainer told me not to...all knowing i would get points taken off and get last call outs...but i was happy bc i looked damn good. i wasnt happy trying to come in like how they wanted me to come on. so i finally said, screw it, im doing this for me.

banger
02-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Ondrea,

you bring up a good point, i'm in a position where i can only be supportive. imho opinion she has a body that belongs in fbb. she is 40yrs old with a lot of mature muscle. her legs, hammy's and glutes are out of this world. i think its easier said than done to accept a softer competitor being picked first over you. male or female we are all competitive, ya were suppose to be doing this for ourselves, but its nice to win also. no matter what she'll look great, and i will help her look her best.

carrie ann simmons
02-24-2009, 12:06 PM

I'm right with you! Too big for figure, not big enough for BBing...

You gotta go into whatever one you want HAPPY with yourself. You see those judges a few times a year, if that. You have to live with yourself every day.

Allifit
02-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm right with you! Too big for figure, not big enough for BBing...

You gotta go into whatever one you want HAPPY with yourself. You see those judges a few times a year, if that. You have to live with yourself every day.
You compete as a bb though right? I've seen your physique you're stunning.... freaking GORGEOUS!

carrie ann simmons
02-24-2009, 06:50 PM
You compete as a bb though right? I've seen your physique you're stunning.... freaking GORGEOUS!

Thank you! I did BBing 2006-08. Last show was the Arnold Amateur last year. Before that it was Fitness, but honestly I sucked in the routine round.

Allifit
02-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Thank you! I did BBing 2006-08. Last show was the Arnold Amateur last year. Before that it was Fitness, but honestly I sucked in the routine round.
I know I remember seeing your physique and being shocked you looked stellar.

When you find you home let me know where its at- I'll join ya. Two tweeners!!! lol.

BadAssBarbie
02-27-2009, 05:13 PM
You said crossing over to Fitness isn't a preferred option. I wish more girls would though!! It's alot of work, but so much fun in the end. It's also the most entertaining part of the whole show usually!! More girls need to consider it IMO!!!

Melissa
02-27-2009, 09:04 PM
You said crossing over to Fitness isn't a preferred option. I wish more girls would though!! It's alot of work, but so much fun in the end. It's also the most entertaining part of the whole show usually!! More girls need to consider it IMO!!!

If I wasn't such a chicken-shit, I totally would try fitness. I do have a significant competitive gymnastics background (not that's it's necessary), but practicing the routine and dieting honestly scares the crap out of me. I have the utmost respect for fitness athletes...they truly embody all traits of an athlete.