PDA

View Full Version : muscle failure

clw3f
09-13-2009, 07:39 PM
I was just wondering about muscle failure. Do you take every muscle to failure on every set? I was just wondering because I will be training on my own in the next few weeks. I am very new to this and don't want to hurt myself. Thanks for any advice.

Ninja Loco
09-13-2009, 08:41 PM
True muscle failure is when you cannot do another rep in good form. It does not mean when you cannot do another rep without throwing a ton of body english into the mix.

If you are a beginner with less than three years straight and solid workout experience I dont recommend training to failure. Everyone needs a base before they start throwing in advanced techniques like that. Thats just common sense. There are plenty of other intensity techniques available if you search. I train on my own too so Ive had to learn plenty of them.

Sledge
09-13-2009, 10:51 PM
I totaly agree with Ninja.
It's been my experience that most new trainers reach mental failure before actual physical failure. If your really new to this I'd recommend not training to total muscular failure but the last 1 or 2 reps of every set should be close to the edge when done with good form, and maybe the last set of a given exercise might reach failure on the last rep. increase weights by small increments when you can and when you do really concentrate on form (i bet you surprise yourself and raise the weight more regularly than you thought). Concentrate on form much more than weight, and leave your ego at the door when you walk into the gym. :)

Oh and also if your training alone select exercises that allow you to do so safely. ie dumbbell bench press instead of barbell bench press, that sort of thing.

mr intensity
09-14-2009, 01:30 AM
i was fortunate enough to have a very good coach at the begning of my training he taught me the concept of progressive overload supradded with excellent form.
first
you need to know how to perform every exercise PERFECTLY. without the perfect form one cannot totally dominate the muscle he or she is working.
secondly then you need to CONCENTRATE.
i m not talking about mere awareness of muscle contracting but actually being inside the muscle, becoming one with it , fighting for your life to go beyound that final rep.
but that comes with experience meaning that you should know your self and what are you capable of... beginers are not aware of the capabilities... and the only way of knowing your capabilities is to give yourself some years time and within that time do a lot of hard training....

clw3f
09-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Thank you all for your advice. I have learned so much just from reading this site. I am sure I will have more questions in the near future.

Ninja Loco
09-19-2009, 12:24 PM
As long as you ask with humility and a positive attitude (meaning you offer lotsa money, nudes, or hardcore man love) we will be more than happy to help, my son.

Womanthrower
09-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I was just wondering about muscle failure. Do you take every muscle to failure on every set? I was just wondering because I will be training on my own in the next few weeks. I am very new to this and don't want to hurt myself. Thanks for any advice.
Depends on how many sets you're doing. If you're doing a typical volume routine, I'd only take the last set of the exercise to failure. and since you say you're very new to this, I don't know how solid your form is. I wouldn't advise pushing to failure if you're not confident with your form. If you are confident with your form, I'd try to make a conscious effort that you're keeping the rest of your body/neck/face relaxed on those last few reps, so the only strain that you're feeling is in the target muscles you're working. at this point definitely don't break form to try to push out extra reps.

B7emm
09-21-2009, 07:58 PM

i have been using H.I.T for a long time and we usually only go to positive failure if training more than two times a week if we are in our two workout a week program we will go to negative failure also. Dr.darden speaks about static failure some in his books but i have never used any static exercises I'm sure its a blast. i just haven't used it. if you are new to HIT or bodybuilding in general i would work my way up to training to failure and work on good form first because if your form is bad heavy weights to failure will get you hurt fast trust me i have been there. good luck!

TONYT82
09-23-2009, 12:25 PM
True muscle failure is when you cannot do another rep in good form. It does not mean when you cannot do another rep without throwing a ton of body english into the mix.

If you are a beginner with less than three years straight and solid workout experience I dont recommend training to failure. Everyone needs a base before they start throwing in advanced techniques like that. Thats just common sense. There are plenty of other intensity techniques available if you search. I train on my own too so Ive had to learn plenty of them.

I call bs on this lol....three years experience ?

B7emm
09-23-2009, 05:44 PM
I think ninja was just trying to be conservative about his advice so that someone wouldn't get hurt. training to failure is very taxing to the C.N.S. I would hope that someone was properly wormed up before the attempt. a side note you will vomit the first few times if you are training correctly with good form. ninja has some of the best training advice on here. in my opinion. good luck!

Ninja Loco
09-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Cool then. Go out and train somebody to true muscle failure with less experience than that. Let us know how far you get.

True muscle failure is both an individual thing and more mental than physical. First of all you have to have and understand and actually have the mind muscle connection or the trainee will never know true muscle failure, they will always think it's total failure, and they wont even have that. All that takes time. Ive trained many people who thought they went to failure only to find out they had one, two, or even a few more once they found out what to look for.

B7emm
09-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Cool then. Go out and train somebody to true muscle failure with less experience than that. Let us know how far you get.

True muscle failure is both an individual thing and more mental than physical. First of all you have to have and understand and actually have the mind muscle connection or the trainee will never know true muscle failure, they will always think it's total failure, and they wont even have that. All that takes time. Ive trained many people who thought they went to failure only to find out they had one, two, or even a few more once they found out what to look for.
qft i agree 100% its hard at first. and still with out someone training with you its hard to do it alone.