PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone do this on DL?

7_Deadly_Sins
09-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Does anyone train /w a double over hand grip, and at PLing events use a under/over to move more weight?
Reason I'm asking is it's alot eaiser to tear something /w a under/over and didn't know if everyone trained the same way they lift at meets.

crashcrew56
09-13-2009, 08:38 PM
I don't, but there's a very good powerlifter on my team and he deadlifts double overhand in training and competition, but he does use a hook grip

realmccoy
09-13-2009, 09:20 PM
I also train with a few people who prefer the hook grip ( ouch). I however train with a overhand underhand grip when I am deadlifting

BrotherIron
09-14-2009, 12:18 AM
All the Oly lifters use a hook grip. I use a over/under grip.

7_Deadly_Sins
09-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Ok what about this, does anyone have a muscle imbalance in say the traps or anything b/c of the under/over grip?

tjoe
09-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Ok what about this, does anyone have a muscle imbalance in say the traps or anything b/c of the under/over grip?
I feel that way sometimes.
You have to ask yourself "WHY" are you deadlifting?
To compete: mixed grip since no straps in comp)
Big back: go dbl over and use straps... your back doesn't care about straps :)
Strongman: straps are OK (unless it's an axle that is testing grip)

toddbz
09-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I pretty much use dbl over hook grip all the time on deads. But I've injured the right side of my back before and I feel this lets me pull 'straighter'.

7_Deadly_Sins
09-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks Joe,
I'm actually wanting to do BBing and PLing..the PLing is alot closer to my house..so it'll be a while before I do a BB show..hell once I start PLing I might not wana stop..only bad thing is the meets are once a year locally. :(

tjoe
09-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks Joe,
I'm actually wanting to do BBing and PLing..the PLing is alot closer to my house..so it'll be a while before I do a BB show..hell once I start PLing I might not wana stop..only bad thing is the meets are once a year locally. :(In this case I would pull EVERY week... however I would alternate like this:
week 1 - reps in the 8-12 range, dbl overhand, straps, touch n go
week 2 - reps in the 1-5 range, mixed grip (no straps), deload every rep

I always liked working up to ONE all out set on deadlifts. No matter if it was a heavy week or a rep week... it was always 1 all out set.

7_Deadly_Sins
09-14-2009, 07:52 PM
In this case I would pull EVERY week... however I would alternate like this:
week 1 - reps in the 8-12 range, dbl overhand, straps, touch n go
week 2 - reps in the 1-5 range, mixed grip (no straps), deload every rep

I always liked working up to ONE all out set on deadlifts. No matter if it was a heavy week or a rep week... it was always 1 all out set.

Thanks Joe.
I'm going to run the 5 3 1 starting the 28th..I'll try 1 cycle of it /w under/over and see how I like it..might not wana switch back to double over. I've always liked moving heavy stuff(weights in the gym) that's what's funnest to me..lots of reps bore me..so PLing might be my thing.
Anyway thanks alot.

BrotherIron
09-14-2009, 08:02 PM
I've always DL'ed with an over/under grip and never had any issues with an muscular imbalance. I don't use straps b/c honestly it only weakens your grip and forearms to use straps.

7_Deadly_Sins
09-14-2009, 08:20 PM
I've always DL'ed with an over/under grip and never had any issues with an muscular imbalance. I don't use straps b/c honestly it only weakens your grip and forearms to use straps.

Yea i wish I had never used them now.
Ah well..I dont think it'd take to long for my grip to catch back up.

BrotherIron
09-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Yea i wish I had never used them now.
Ah well..I dont think it'd take to long for my grip to catch back up.

Yeah personally I don't use straps for any of the exercises I utilize. It's a hindrance imho.

You can actually do grip strength exercises which will help expedite the process of getting a stronger grip. Check out the sticky in this section and you'll find many helpful exercises you can do.

7_Deadly_Sins
09-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah personally I don't use straps for any of the exercises I utilize. It's a hindrance imho.

You can actually do grip strength exercises which will help expedite the process of getting a stronger grip. Check out the sticky in this section and you'll find many helpful exercises you can do.

I'd assume I need crush and static..any suggestions where to work them into on a 5/3/1 4 day split? And on exercise selection for them too.

BrotherIron
09-14-2009, 08:55 PM
I'd assume I need crush and static..any suggestions where to work them into on a 5/3/1 4 day split? And on exercise selection for them too.

I usually throw them into leg and back days. There is a HS plate loaded machine which I use to strengthen my grip and also static holds with bumper plates. They are smooth without grooves.

artificialaspirations
09-14-2009, 10:21 PM
I do double overhand until grip fails or impedes the number of reps. Then I go mixed on top set. This is to keep balance and increase grip strength.

7_Deadly_Sins
09-14-2009, 10:44 PM
I usually throw them into leg and back days. There is a HS plate loaded machine which I use to strengthen my grip and also static holds with bumper plates. They are smooth without grooves.

I actually think my gym has one of those oddly enough..didn't even think about it until you said something.
What would be a good rep range? 10-15 and progress weekly.

BrotherIron
09-14-2009, 10:55 PM
I actually think my gym has one of those oddly enough..didn't even think about it until you said something.
What would be a good rep range? 10-15 and progress weekly.

I like to keep my reps mid range for those; 8-10 with pauses.

tjoe
09-15-2009, 07:18 AM
I use straps (usually on higher rep sets)... never had a problem with grip either. I don't do deads to work on my grip strength. Pulled 655 from the floor with no straps and 725 from the rack with no straps. I DO feel slight imbalances from a mixed grip (which is why I like to use straps and a dbl over on higher rep sets)