PDA

View Full Version : The Area of Balance

BrotherIron
09-15-2009, 11:40 PM
This concept may seem so basic that is does not require any explanation. Yet many times the fundamental factors are overlooked or forgotten, while more complicated factors are stressed. For this reason, I am calling your attention to the basic law of lifting in the following paragraphs.

In lifting, the Area of Balance is created by the base of your feet. Any time the bar travels beyond this base, whether it is behind or in front, you have lost control of the barbell. When this happens the barbell will control your movement if you want to save the lift.

The Area of Balance is between the middle of the heel bone and the balls of the feet and the first joint of the big toe.

The barbell is not like a yo yo, which you can throw away from you and pull back with the snap of the wrist. If you weigh 200lbs and swing a 400lbs barbell (or for that matter a 200lbs one) away from you, you will end up traveling forward with the barbell if you want to regain control of it.

In all your lifting, whether it is for push jerking, snatching, or deadlifting keep the bar traveling within the Area of Balance for maximum efficiency. The bar must travel within the column of air space created directly above the area your foot covers.

In pulling, keep in mind that for every forward or backward movement of the barbell out of the Area of Balance, you are losing the height of the pull in direct proportion to the distance the travels out of the Area of Balance, besides loosing control and efficiency.

Sistersteel
09-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Great post BI!

crashcrew56
09-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Good post, I think thats the thing that really hinders a lot of people deadlifts. They are too scared to have the bar, go up their shins

BrotherIron
09-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Good post, I think thats the thing that really hinders a lot of people deadlifts. They are too scared to have the bar, go up their shins

I tell people the tell tale sign of a good deadlifter is their shins. If their scarred then the person is deadlifting properly and with alot of weight. If there clean and spotless, that person doesn't have proper form.

My shins are scarred from just above the ankle to the top of the knee.

crashcrew56
09-16-2009, 01:13 AM
I tell people the tell tale sign of a good deadlifter is their shins. If their scarred then the person is deadlifting properly and with alot of weight. If there clean and spotless, that person doesn't have proper form.

Mine arn't really scarred, just bruised, but I also pull sumo style so that might have something to do with it

BrotherIron
09-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Mine arn't really scarred, just bruised, but I also pull sumo style so that might have something to do with it

I pull conventional (traditional) style.

toddbz
09-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Do you pull the bar up your shins performing snatch grip? Now I know you can't do snatches right now because of your shoulder, but on snatch grip deads I meant. I was unser the impression that on those you are supposed to keep the weight over the ball of your foot.

On regular deads long socks are my very good freind. It's like you're already wearing the band aid.

BrotherIron
09-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Do you pull the bar up your shins performing snatch grip? Now I know you can't do snatches right now because of your shoulder, but on snatch grip deads I meant. I was unser the impression that on those you are supposed to keep the weight over the ball of your foot.

On regular deads long socks are my very good freind. It's like you're already wearing the band aid.

Yeah on snatch and cleans I don't actually run the bar against my shins. I keep them close but that close. You have to keep your shoulders over the bar until the brush at the hips which makes it impossible to have the bar skin the shins.

toddbz
09-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Yeah on snatch and cleans I don't actually run the bar against my shins. I keep them close but that close. You have to keep your shoulders over the bar until the brush at the hips which makes it impossible to have the bar skin the shins.

Got it. Thanks. Once I grow a set of balls to hurl the weight over my head we'll talk ;)

BrotherIron
09-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Got it. Thanks. Once I grow a set of balls to hurl the weight over my head we'll talk ;)

You can do just cleans which doesn't require you to "jerk" the weight or "press" it overhead. Clean will really build explosive power and help build your shoulders, upper back, and quads.

toddbz
09-17-2009, 02:24 PM
You can do just cleans which doesn't require you to "jerk" the weight or "press" it overhead. Clean will really build explosive power and help build your shoulders, upper back, and quads.

Thanks for the pointer. I've been doing a lot of high pulls and kettlebell snatches lately. Course those are nothing compared to a full Oly snatch. But I'm getting there. But like you said if I did more cleans I'm sure the confidence in timing would come.

I must say that you and Sis are putting up some great info lately. So thank you

BrotherIron
09-19-2009, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the pointer. I've been doing a lot of high pulls and kettlebell snatches lately. Course those are nothing compared to a full Oly snatch. But I'm getting there. But like you said if I did more cleans I'm sure the confidence in timing would come.

I must say that you and Sis are putting up some great info lately. So thank you

I've been wanting to incorp some kettlebell work into my routine but that's probably the one thing we don't have at coffee's. I was thinking of buy some and leaving them there.

I'm glad the info helps bud. You're very welcome.

toddbz
09-21-2009, 03:19 PM
I've been wanting to incorp some kettlebell work into my routine but that's probably the one thing we don't have at coffee's. I was thinking of buy some and leaving them there.

I'm glad the info helps bud. You're very welcome.

Kettlebells are my new love for sure. I will tell you this that hopefully you can find some used cause they are expensive! But as far as unilateral dynamic strength, they work very good.
Plus you get to do fun stuff like this
YouTube - Picture 204

just a bit of balance and mid section strength involved.
My wife and training partner talkin about people dying n shit in the back ground lol

BrotherIron
09-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Kettlebells are my new love for sure. I will tell you this that hopefully you can find some used cause they are expensive! But as far as unilateral dynamic strength, they work very good.
Plus you get to do fun stuff like this
YouTube - Picture 204 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXYPenIXyD8)

just a bit of balance and mid section strength involved.
My wife and training partner talkin about people dying n shit in the back ground lol

I'll be looking for some used a lil later in the year. I'd like to get a pair of 80, 90, 100, 110lb kettlebells

toddbz
09-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I'll be looking for some used a lil later in the year. I'd like to get a pair of 80, 90, 100, 110lb kettlebells

That will be a lot of fun for you.
You can get them straight from Apollo new for $1.10/lb, but yeah if you can find some poor bastard that's going out of business that would be the find.
Now doing a C&J with 2 48kg's would be sick!

BrotherIron
09-24-2009, 12:06 AM
That will be a lot of fun for you.
You can get them straight from Apollo new for $1.10/lb, but yeah if you can find some poor bastard that's going out of business that would be the find.
Now doing a C&J with 2 48kg's would be sick!

Yeah that would be pricey if I bought them new. There are always gyms going out of business around here so I'm sure I'll be able to find some. The real key is trying to get John to buy them.:yep:

toddbz
09-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah that would be pricey if I bought them new. There are always gyms going out of business around here so I'm sure I'll be able to find some. The real key is trying to get John to buy them.:yep:

Ha! Heyyyyy buddy lol
Tell him they make great door stops ;)