PDA

View Full Version : Question for you natty pros and amateurs

Rsardinia
09-16-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm new to the site but only found it because the forums I normally surf didn't have enough natty BB information. I know a few natural guys @ my gym and I've asked them this but I wanted your guys' take on it as well.

For natural muscle building, whats your theory on how your workouts should be performed for optimal growth?

Short and quick with high intensity?

Long with a good amount of rest between?

Whats your take on compound exercises vs isolation exercises?

Supersets? Dropsets? Pyramids?

Heavy @ low reps or Light @ high reps or switch off between the 2?

I have a good understanding of what works well for me in the gym but I'm always interested in finding a better way of doing it. Obviously diet plays into muscle building as well but that's a whole different story.

Bacon Boy
09-16-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm new to the site but only found it because the forums I normally surf didn't have enough natty BB information. I know a few natural guys @ my gym and I've asked them this but I wanted your guys' take on it as well.

For natural muscle building, whats your theory on how your workouts should be performed for optimal growth?

I have a good understanding of what works well for me in the gym but I'm always interested in finding a better way of doing it. Obviously diet plays into muscle building as well but that's a whole different story.

I am not sure if I am included in this, as I am OTC natural, I count it others dont, but I believe it is just as individual as people on AAS, I am a high volume guy I only grow on high volume, even before I took Halodrol Liquigels, I was able to flat smith bench 450 and trained high intensity and didnt grow nearly as much until I broke into the 20+ set per workout zone and havent put anything on the bar past 3 plates on the bench...

AVBG
09-16-2009, 07:32 PM
It is very individual to what works for some may not work for others and would surmise that there is no one right way to get to your goal.

I myself would suggest (for the most part), workouts not lasting for more than an 45 - 1 hour when working with high intensity principals ie super sets, drop sets, rest pause.

If you're inclined for volume style training with 20+ sets for smaller bodyparts then taking time between sets will assist in hitting the muscle fibres. ie drop sets.

A common theme amongst some of the biggest (not nec the strongest) I have spoken to is that "low reps barely tickle the muscle fibres" and some of these guys advocate going to 15 reps for their sets.

Rsardinia
09-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Agreed. I personally switch it up week by week from high weight low rep, to high rep low weight, to pyramids/dropsets, to slow negatives with pauses at full contraction, etc. etc. just to try and keep my body from plateauing.

I was looking to get stronger by doing that however I feel like my goals are changing to a more well rounded physique rather than just gaining strength. My thinking for a while was as my strength goes up that means I must have more muscle mass to push more weight but I'm getting to the point where strength isn't my biggest concern.

At the beginning of my serious training I got caught up in doing the same routine week in and week out and I plateaued quickly and wasn't seeing any gains. I still don't know what method of lifting works best for me as far as stacking on lean mass. I guess I'll just have to keep going with trial and error until I find a good formula for myself. I'm not that far off as it is, I walk around at 6'2 195lbs @ 7.4% bf but I'm looking to take it to the next level.

fitcorps
09-16-2009, 09:49 PM
There is so much that can go into your answer. YOu first have to consider how long you've been training, age, lifestyle, diet, etc...

The biggest thing I can say is that someone starting off should stick to the basics and utilize a simiple split/lifting protocol until they start to slowly see a stagnation/plateau and then make adjustments to avoid a plateau.

Personally, I believe in moderate volume and high intensity. I train 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off and it has paid dividends (as opposed to 5 or 6 days of training/week). My personal favorite protocol is Power Rep Range Shock. The stimulus and training technique varies every single week so there is no room for adaptation/stagnation.

I highly recommend looking into the P/RR/S method of training.

NaturalPhysique
09-17-2009, 10:59 AM

As many have already said, that really is a tough question to answer because everyone is different. As a general rule, I would say for a natural bodybuilder thebest training style would be low reps (6-10) and heavy weight. But more important than your training style is your diet. Are you eating enough? Are you eating enough of the right foods?

NATURAL-1987
09-17-2009, 12:00 PM

Like everyone else has basically said it depends on the individual a lot. From my own experiences I have not had a "set" training program in 2 years and have grown like mad. I stick to the basics mostly but train purily on instinct.For example,I was on my last set of decline bench a little while back and hit 3 plates for 6, I told my partner I'm drop setting this and then did 2 plates then one...think that was it? no.then I said I'm going back up, 2plates again, 3 plates again.By the time I got back up to 3 I could barely do 2 reps....But it was what I felt the muscle needed to get the most out of the set. You will also never see me do the same thing 2 weeks in a row. I switch back width and depth every week, and hams and quads every week, upper,lower and mid chest, as well as tri's or bi's first. I believe as far as training grows to shock my body into growth, it also keeps training more enjoyable by always doing something different.

Rsardinia
09-17-2009, 01:31 PM
There is so much that can go into your answer. YOu first have to consider how long you've been training, age, lifestyle, diet, etc...

The biggest thing I can say is that someone starting off should stick to the basics and utilize a simiple split/lifting protocol until they start to slowly see a stagnation/plateau and then make adjustments to avoid a plateau.

Personally, I believe in moderate volume and high intensity. I train 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off and it has paid dividends (as opposed to 5 or 6 days of training/week). My personal favorite protocol is Power Rep Range Shock. The stimulus and training technique varies every single week so there is no room for adaptation/stagnation.

I highly recommend looking into the P/RR/S method of training.

Good info there. I've been training seriously for about 4-5 years, but lifting all together like 8.

As many have already said, that really is a tough question to answer because everyone is different. As a general rule, I would say for a natural bodybuilder thebest training style would be low reps (6-10) and heavy weight. But more important than your training style is your diet. Are you eating enough? Are you eating enough of the right foods?

I have been thinking about upping my calorie intake but the problem is as I tend to eat more, I don't keep it as clean as I should. I don't like doing the typical BBer bulk because I like being lean year round but maybe that's just something I'll have to deal with. I found that when I got to 200lbs I was seeing a little something tacked on to my midsection that I wasn't happy about. Might just have to deal with it knowing it will go away when I diet down.

Like everyone else has basically said it depends on the individual a lot. From my own experiences I have not had a "set" training program in 2 years and have grown like mad. I stick to the basics mostly but train purily on instinct.For example,I was on my last set of decline bench a little while back and hit 3 plates for 6, I told my partner I'm drop setting this and then did 2 plates then one...think that was it? no.then I said I'm going back up, 2plates again, 3 plates again.By the time I got back up to 3 I could barely do 2 reps....But it was what I felt the muscle needed to get the most out of the set. You will also never see me do the same thing 2 weeks in a row. I switch back width and depth every week, and hams and quads every week, upper,lower and mid chest, as well as tri's or bi's first. I believe as far as training grows to shock my body into growth, it also keeps training more enjoyable by always doing something different.

That's pretty much what I figured. Variation is the key and making sure you aren't getting in a rut of doing the same thing week in and week out.

Mr. Dead
09-17-2009, 04:10 PM
It definitely varies from individual... My legs can only grow and thrive on high volume, but my upper body, only responds to the low volume approach... (Only just found out that last part recently, and the hard way... *LOL*)