PDA

View Full Version : Trying to diet w/o keto

KBigz81
09-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Didn't really know how to put it all in the title. But my last competition I dieted using Dave's keto diet. It worked wonderful! But that was in May, since then I have been trying to add mass and now up 25lbs since the competition. I also had shoulder surgery 4 weeks ago and put on another 5 lbs. Now I want to get my weight back down to about 140 which I would have to lose about 15 lbs. Now I don't want to use the keto diet but ever since I used it my body will not adjust to carbs. I've tried adding them in slowly and I just put on more weight. I want to get away from the keto diet and maybe only use it to get the last few pounds off. Anyone else have this problem?

KZ
09-17-2009, 09:41 PM
One thing I've noticed is that it helps to keep fats very low. Only direct sources can be 2 tsp cod liver oil in am and pm. All else - incidentals. Less protein, occasional higher intensity cardio....

Technically, if the cals are the same then there shouldn't be much difference aside from a little water retention.

DAVIDHARDY
09-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Didn't really know how to put it all in the title. But my last competition I dieted using Dave's keto diet. It worked wonderful! But that was in May, since then I have been trying to add mass and now up 25lbs since the competition. I also had shoulder surgery 4 weeks ago and put on another 5 lbs. Now I want to get my weight back down to about 140 which I would have to lose about 15 lbs. Now I don't want to use the keto diet but ever since I used it my body will not adjust to carbs. I've tried adding them in slowly and I just put on more weight. I want to get away from the keto diet and maybe only use it to get the last few pounds off. Anyone else have this problem?

If this keeps it up after a few days or a week, then it's a problem with your body actually storing them as fat. However, this is going to happen for a few days to a week since you are re-introducing carbs back into your diet. The carbs are making you hold water when you add them back in; no matter how slowly you do it, water weight will be gained. If you notice that your weight remains steady after a few days, then it's just the water that you added, but if it keeps going up, then you could be gaining fat, so be careful since fat loss is your primary goal.

tammyp
09-22-2009, 01:59 PM
what is your diet like? macros cals etc...

lomox
09-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Now I don't want to use the keto diet but ever since I used it my body will not adjust to carbs.

This is my worst nightmare right now. After seeing what a sudden influx of carbs will do to me I am terrified of this being a permanent condition. Is that possible? To permamnetly alter your metabolism like that? Can it be reversed? I guess low fat makes sense.

DAVIDHARDY
09-22-2009, 06:05 PM
This is my worst nightmare right now. After seeing what a sudden influx of carbs will do to me I am terrified of this being a permanent condition. Is that possible? To permamnetly alter your metabolism like that? Can it be reversed? I guess low fat makes sense.

Your body uses carbs as energy. If you do not use up that ingested energy, then it is stored as fat. It's as simple as that. You haven't altered your metabolism and it's not irreversible, you are just simply overfilling the tank and it is getting stored for future use. If you notice that you are getting fat, then cut them back and only eat what your body can efficiently use at once.

DAVIDHARDY
09-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Damn it, I tried to edit, but it was after 5 min. Another possibility is that you might not have ever really handled carbs well in the 1st place and have a "fat type" metabolism. If that is the case, then you will have to be even more careful eating carbs. The drastic changes at 1st could simply be water though.

KBigz81
09-24-2009, 12:54 AM
macros as of right now post keto...I'm down to 148.
180-200 protein
60-80 carbs
30-40 fat
I know the calories are pretty low right now but my metabolism is slower than death right now. If I start losing weight to quickly I'll probably add some calories in.
And yes before the keto diet I was very carb sensitive. In the offseason I would have to limit my carbs to 150-170, anymore and I start adding bodyfat quickly. When I do add carbs into my macros I have keep my fat intake low also. I was told to add in some HIIT cardio to help use up the carbs while losing weight right now.
When I diet for a show my calories have to come down very low...2 shows ago w/about 3 weeks left my calories were down to 900. Its horrible. And I want to find a way to reverse that problem. I know I'll probably end up hiring a trainer for the offseason but right now I'm jobless.

KBigz81
09-24-2009, 12:56 AM
I also I have 1 clean refeed day where I bring my carbs up to about 130 and its on my leg day when I need it the most.

tammyp
09-24-2009, 06:27 AM
suzanne would be a good one to chime in here. she has major metabolism issues from a bad trainer and worked 2 years to fix it.

Suzanne
09-24-2009, 11:37 AM
I went thru this from being dieted on cals that were too low and excessive cardio

My body fought for months while we tried to fix it. With the old trainer i was 1500 cals and 70 min cardio daily off season and gaining! I changed trainers and started working with Jeremy Minihan and we did 2 shows in 2007 we prob should have fixed me first but we didn't know how bad it was. After those shows we spent the first 6 months of 2008 trying to fix me my body wouldn't respond to anything. What we did know was we needed to work calories up and cardio down. So he picked a starting point and every 2-3 weeks upped the calories. I had a 15 months offseason before prepping for Jr Nats this year. He got my cals to about 3000 and cardio to 30 min 3xweek.

After fixing me my prep for jrs was almost easy my body responded so well.

We found i don't need protein really high and i now do extremely well on high carb. My off season between jrs and starting Nats prep i was over 3000 cals about 450 grams of carbs.

But it took a long time and the guidance of a trainer who could really watch how my body was responding.

BIGSNOR
09-24-2009, 06:50 PM
women seem to diet themselves into a corner more often than not. If you've dropped things down so low, really you just make it that much harder on yourself, because you almost always have to go even lower...to continue progressing. Or you could opt to add in T3 and clen to really give the metab a kick in the ass.

May just have to let the weight come until your body stabilizes....then diet back down without keto, once your metabolism has revved back up. Sometimes in severe cases it can take a severely overdieted female 2 to 3 months to fully recover.

KBigz81
09-25-2009, 06:30 PM
I went thru this from being dieted on cals that were too low and excessive cardio

My body fought for months while we tried to fix it. With the old trainer i was 1500 cals and 70 min cardio daily off season and gaining! I changed trainers and started working with Jeremy Minihan and we did 2 shows in 2007 we prob should have fixed me first but we didn't know how bad it was. After those shows we spent the first 6 months of 2008 trying to fix me my body wouldn't respond to anything. What we did know was we needed to work calories up and cardio down. So he picked a starting point and every 2-3 weeks upped the calories. I had a 15 months offseason before prepping for Jr Nats this year. He got my cals to about 3000 and cardio to 30 min 3xweek.

After fixing me my prep for jrs was almost easy my body responded so well.

We found i don't need protein really high and i now do extremely well on high carb. My off season between jrs and starting Nats prep i was over 3000 cals about 450 grams of carbs.

But it took a long time and the guidance of a trainer who could really watch how my body was responding.

Good advice Suzanne! I think I'm going to try starting at around 1700 cals and see where it goes from there. I wish I could afford a trainer but its just not possible right now. It is very frustrating for me right now. I probably shouldn't have done the show in May, but I too didn't realize how messed up my metabolism was, which is why I had to resort to the keto diet.