PDA

View Full Version : night sweats

tammyp
09-19-2009, 05:50 AM
ok im too young for this.

i go to bed, wake up soaked in sweat and freeze the rest of the night. i have a light cover, dont think im too warm but sweat like im doing HIT! anyone else have this...???:hypno::mad::confused:

Lilr24
09-19-2009, 07:19 AM

i go to bed, wake up soaked in sweat and freeze the rest of the night. i have a light cover, dont think im too warm but sweat like im doing HIT! anyone else have this...???:hypno::mad::confused:
ME!!!!! My bf gets sooo mad. He always say i'm the most thermogenic person he knows lol. I go to bed all bundled up because I'm always cold then half way through the night i wake up SOAKED and have to strip down...then freeze after that! Drives me nuts!

GirlyMuscle
09-19-2009, 07:50 AM
I have it too. I thought it was age related but now I realize it was "supplement" related.

NPCfigure
09-19-2009, 09:05 AM
It could still be hormone related, some women can enter peri menopause in the late 20's early 30's. I am sure you have done it lots of times, but have you had your hormone levels checked recently? Just a place to start. Night sweats can mean many things. I would start with a regular doc visit, and go from there.

tammyp
09-19-2009, 09:39 AM
estogen is low. no period in years.

Lilr24
09-19-2009, 10:07 AM
estogen is low. no period in years.

I'm not even on anything that would effect my estrogen but I got an IUD a year ago Mirana, so don't get a period either....you think that could be why? Prob just all the caffeine i take in tho lol

margo
09-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I experienced this too and it was because of too low estrogen level in my body.
I didnīt have periods for years but suddenly this year they started again... thank God :)

NPCfigure
09-19-2009, 01:44 PM
IMHO,I think the low estrogen is the problem....Have you ever tried BC to bring up your estrogen levels, and bring on a period? It could help...also, make sure you are supplimenting with Vit D since your estrogen is low, no period in years, you don't want to start having to worry about bone density too :)

in the mean time, try a ceiling fan at night if you have one, light sheet, no covers, even sleep in clothes with dry wick(sp?) - shirt/shorts (keep you and the sheets dry) These are some tricks I used when trying to get my HR meds balanced correctly.

ps LOVE your new Avi Tammy!

Mr X
09-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Could be a blood infection.

tammyp
09-19-2009, 02:44 PM
IMHO,I think the low estrogen is the problem....Have you ever tried BC to bring up your estrogen levels, and bring on a period? It could help...also, make sure you are supplimenting with Vit D since your estrogen is low, no period in years, you don't want to start having to worry about bone density too :)

in the mean time, try a ceiling fan at night if you have one, light sheet, no covers, even sleep in clothes with dry wick(sp?) - shirt/shorts (keep you and the sheets dry) These are some tricks I used when trying to get my HR meds balanced correctly.

ps LOVE your new Avi Tammy!

thanks! not doing the pill thanks, at 39 and a fixed hubby, not!

funny thing is...im not too warm when i go to bed, im comfy with a light blanket and the window cracked, and we are getting 40s at night!

MR X..blood infection? where did you come up w that with night sweats?

musclemilf
09-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Sounds like low estrogen. There are periods in which estrogen levels reach "new lows" which can trigger symptoms such as hot flashes, anxiety, night sweats. It's all age related. The ladies in my mom's assisted living community still complain about having (although not as much) hot flashes in their 70's! ugh. :drool:

jlgiller
09-19-2009, 03:22 PM

funny thing is...im not too warm when i go to bed, im comfy with a light blanket and the window cracked, and we are getting 40s at night!

Do not go on BC! Thats about the dumbest thing you could do. If your estrogen levels are low use the cream. It doesn't work for everyone. If you can ask your mom and grandparents how old they were when they started with menopause. If your levels are low get on something right away don't wait until they are 0.

This could also be caused by your thyroid and a insulin problem during the night, so have a full thyroid panel make sure they check for TSH, total and free T3, T4, reverse T3 and TPO some dr.s don't test for all of these.

musclemilf
09-19-2009, 03:33 PM
My estrogen level is very low and I function just fine. You can't get to zero estrogen because our fat, ovaries and other things I can't think of off the top of my head still produce estrogen well into geriatric-hood. I never went the BCP, hormone or bioidentical route when I went through perimenopause. I toughed things out until things leveled off.

tammyp
09-19-2009, 04:46 PM
ill take night sweats over that time of the month any day:)

triceptor
09-19-2009, 05:10 PM

This is absolutely hypoglycemic episode. Do you have an awareness of your heart beating a little faster or harder? Any anxiety? Do you have periodic nightmares? Do you awaken worrying about the bills or things in your life?

two things you can try.. one is an experiment..

Go to Walgreens and buy a cheap glucometer.. 19.95 includes 20 test strips. Take you blood glucose right before bed and record it. This is just a baseline. If you haven't eaten less than an hour before bed and its not starchy carbs it should be well below 150 ng/l And more like 90 ng/l.

Now leave the glucometer next to your bed and next time you have one of these night-sweat episodes have the presence of mind to sit up and take your blood glucose. I predict what you will find is one of two things. Either you BG will be very high.. like 180 ng/l or very low like 70 ng/l. This will vary by how long it takes you to awaken once the hypoglycemic episode occurs. if you wake up spontaneously when it occurs the reading will be low but if you awaken after a while.. it will be high because what you will be seeing is your body responding to teh episode by liberating glycogen from the liver and it will over compensate to correct the event.

Generally we will have these episode at the same time on the nights they occur. When I used to have them it was like clockwork - 2:00 AM give or take 5 minutes!

Now.. do you eat starchy carbs in the evening? I'm assuming not. With that being said.. take 500mgs of Vitamin C right at bed time. See if it prolongs the episode and you wake up later or not at all. Vitamin C acts like glucose and can also help to maintain blood glucose levels. This is why one should NEVER take vitamin C when you are having a blood glucose tolerance test as it will artificially push levels up for a prolonged period and make the insulin response curve look longer.

One last note.. in a study produced by a group over at Rutgers I believe ( I did a show about this) they showed that 300mgs of caffeine artificially raises BG levels for 12 hours and then causes a boomerang effects precipitating a hypoglyceminc event. If you have you LAST cup of coffee at 3:00PM and its the Grande Tall Boutique coffee that's got about 500mgs of caffeine in it you will have a hypoglycemic episode for sure around 3:00 AM.. and if you eat starchy or sugary carbs right before bed you'll have a hypoglycemic episode anywhere from 1.5 hrs to 4 hrs later.

Estrogen Progesterone and GH help to regulate these during sleep BTW.

Let me know your thoughts on any of this please.

Carl

Mr X
09-20-2009, 03:58 AM

A familly member of mine had these symptoms, at night sweats followed by freezing and they had a blood infection that was caused by having had dental work done.

Which is why I said it could be a blood infection.

tammyp
09-20-2009, 05:49 AM
This is absolutely hypoglycemic episode. Do you have an awareness of your heart beating a little faster or harder? Any anxiety? Do you have periodic nightmares? Do you awaken worrying about the bills or things in your life?

two things you can try.. one is an experiment..

Go to Walgreens and buy a cheap glucometer.. 19.95 includes 20 test strips. Take you blood glucose right before bed and record it. This is just a baseline. If you haven't eaten less than an hour before bed and its not starchy carbs it should be well below 150 ng/l And more like 90 ng/l.

Now leave the glucometer next to your bed and next time you have one of these night-sweat episodes have the presence of mind to sit up and take your blood glucose. I predict what you will find is one of two things. Either you BG will be very high.. like 180 ng/l or very low like 70 ng/l. This will vary by how long it takes you to awaken once the hypoglycemic episode occurs. if you wake up spontaneously when it occurs the reading will be low but if you awaken after a while.. it will be high because what you will be seeing is your body responding to teh episode by liberating glycogen from the liver and it will over compensate to correct the event.

Generally we will have these episode at the same time on the nights they occur. When I used to have them it was like clockwork - 2:00 AM give or take 5 minutes!

Now.. do you eat starchy carbs in the evening? I'm assuming not. With that being said.. take 500mgs of Vitamin C right at bed time. See if it prolongs the episode and you wake up later or not at all. Vitamin C acts like glucose and can also help to maintain blood glucose levels. This is why one should NEVER take vitamin C when you are having a blood glucose tolerance test as it will artificially push levels up for a prolonged period and make the insulin response curve look longer.

One last note.. in a study produced by a group over at Rutgers I believe ( I did a show about this) they showed that 300mgs of caffeine artificially raises BG levels for 12 hours and then causes a boomerang effects precipitating a hypoglyceminc event. If you have you LAST cup of coffee at 3:00PM and its the Grande Tall Boutique coffee that's got about 500mgs of caffeine in it you will have a hypoglycemic episode for sure around 3:00 AM.. and if you eat starchy or sugary carbs right before bed you'll have a hypoglycemic episode anywhere from 1.5 hrs to 4 hrs later.

Estrogen Progesterone and GH help to regulate these during sleep BTW.

Let me know your thoughts on any of this please.

Carl

very interesting carl. i wake early with this problem. within 2 hours of going to bed, and my last meal isnt long beofre that. i got this prepping w/ the increased heart rate, due to stims, now not at all.

i will try this...thanks!:flowers: