PDA

View Full Version : OMG this is a perfect forum.

needtogetaas
02-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Well hello I am a addict. I am addicted to alcohol. Over the last 2 years I been sober though and have only drank twice. One time of course I got screwed which just reminded me why I need to stay sober.

Strikerrjones
02-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Well hello I am a addict. I am addicted to alcohol. Over the last 2 years I been sober though and have only drank twice. One time of course I got screwed which just reminded me why I need to stay sober.

How did you realize you were addicted? I have a friend that I'm pretty worried about, but I don't want to be a dick and call him out if there's no reason.

Tatyana
02-23-2009, 10:28 PM
I never knew you when you were drinking, but it doesn't sound like it was a very nice situation.

Congrats on being sober big guy.

Sistersteel
02-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Hello need2 and welcome home brother. I find your screename very appropriate. Reminds us of how much "we needed to" have that one drink but yet we chose not to and so we live to tell out story and reach out to others.

In light of what you just shared and I quote: " I got screwed which just reminded me why I need to stay sober", I would like to remind you of a quote that appears often in the basic text of AA and NA, a famous quote by Ol Winston Churchill:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

So keep coming back brother and remember where you've come from. Good to have you with us.

Respect,

SS

Sistersteel
02-23-2009, 10:36 PM
How did you realize you were addicted? I have a friend that I'm pretty worried about, but I don't want to be a dick and call him out if there's no reason.

An addiction is, by definition, a repetitive unhealthy behavior (does not necessarily have to be a chemical dependency) that affects a person's life negatively. So does your friend drink often enough to where it has caused a problem for him or his loved ones?
Really not very hard to spot an addict. Reach out to your friend. He will thank you for it one day.

needtogetaas
02-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Bro the rpoblem with us addicts is no ones going to tell us we have a problem. In fact for me. The more I was told I had a problem by others the more I resented it and ran from it.

Rock bottom is the only way IMO. Now some have a lower bottom then others (hah ha no jokes here).

For me I new I had a problem a long long time ago. Way back in aah 2003 when I was in the army. I was drinking my ass off. 12 pack every night and well over 30 on the week ends. I knew I had a drinking problem back then but I was fine with hiding it and pretending I did not have one.

It took my second stay in jail for braking some duds jaw before I realized wtf am I doing this is crazy.

You see I was a chef and looking around all my friends and coworkers were all drunks coke heads and the like. It was all to common to see half the weight staff blowing lines in the back room. Close up shop and start passing the drinks around. It all seemed normal and such a great life for me.

My advice. An addict will never quit so long as there life enables them to keep doing what they do with no consequences. As long as life is going good then keep the drinks coming. At least for me anyway.

Sitting in jail looking at my daughter on the other side of the glass. God damn it it makes me cry right now to this day to remember that moment in my life.

Have a had a drink since that day? yes I have a few times. And it almost cost me that price once again. Thank god it did not but it could have. One day at a time though. Can't beat myself up over it. Get back on the horse and ride that shit. Its a life long struggle that never ever goes away.

Falling off the wagon starts long before I pick up the drink. Its a mind set that I start getting into. Over time I have been learning how to see the signs. How to tell when I am falling and pull myself back.

Anyway sorry for going off on this one bro. Bottom line the best you can do for your friend is leave him. Tell him I love you bro but I can no longer be in your life and enable you any longer. I love you but I will not be a part of your life any longer. When enough people in his life do this he may open his eyes and see what he is losing. But imo if I never lost anything from my problem well then it must not be a problem.

needtogetaas
03-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I been feeling alright these days. My recovery is going great. I been sober and really have not been thinking about drinking to much these days.

Some days are worse then others though and I guess most of us know this.

Sistersteel
03-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Can you tell us what are the triggers for you and how you cope?

needtogetaas
03-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Can you tell us what are the triggers for you and how you cope?
You know what a big one is for me. I know it may not seem like much to most but it is to me.

A hot ass summer night. God something about it screams in my brain. Telling me I should be fucked out of my mind at some bar. Or a hot summer day. Just brings my mind there into the place. Where I can't stop thinking about it.

I guess this is one of the harder ones to deal with to. Because its not like some of the other triggers.

Hungry,angry,lonely,tired. I mean eat,work out,call a friend,sleep. These are easy ones.

But the hot summer, or the fresh cut grass after spending hours mowing the lawn. The moments in which there is nothing wrong with me. I just get lost in a trance of thought.

I know I could try to think about something else. I know but damn it really sticks with me. I almost always fall off the wagon once or twice during the summer. I get right back on but its been a bit of a down fall to me.