PDA

View Full Version : any need for squats?

bigcountry86
09-20-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm 6'7'' is there any tall guys out there that still do squats? jw i got bad knees and i hear they are bad for u if ur over six feet. whats yalls thoughts?

BrotherIron
09-20-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm 6'7'' is there any tall guys out there that still do squats? jw i got bad knees and i hear they are bad for u if ur over six feet. whats yalls thoughts?

My thoughts on that.... quite frankly thats bullsh^t bud. I'm 6'2 and I squat below parallel. I've also had total knee replacement on both legs from a degenerative bone disease and I squat every week.

Also, squatting below parallel isn't worse on the knees than squatting at parallel, it's actually alot better for your knees. Stopping at parallel puts ALOT more stress on the knees than continuing down in the squat.

Bolan
09-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Squatting dosent only make your legs grow, it makes your whole body grow!!

HEFTY-express
09-21-2009, 03:11 AM
Squatting dosent only make your legs grow, it makes your whole body grow!!

aim in brother :yep:

jbruno7272
09-21-2009, 09:55 AM
My thoughts on that.... quite frankly thats bullsh^t bud. I'm 6'2 and I squat below parallel. I've also had total knee replacement on both legs from a degenerative bone disease and I squat every week.

Also, squatting below parallel isn't worse on the knees than squatting at parallel, it's actually alot better for your knees. Stopping at parallel puts ALOT more stress on the knees than continuing down in the squat.

Very true.

tjoe
09-21-2009, 11:31 AM

Yep... we're all in agreement on this one.

bad bad leroy brown
09-21-2009, 12:31 PM
You may just have to take a wider stance, other than that, get under the bar!!!!

toddbz
09-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Not jammin on th origonal poster but I never understood where that myth came from that taller people can't/shouldn't do a particular exercise.
My wife is 6'1 and has to duck to get under the shower head...but she can squat just fine ;P

homegrown
10-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Im 6'9 and I squat all day long!! I may not squat as much but none the less i do box squats below parallel and have no knee problems at all..

ANADROLicfreak
10-05-2009, 02:40 PM
squats suck!

HammerStrength12
10-10-2009, 12:47 AM
Yes, they suck. That's why there's no better exercise.

Everyone's gotta squat. Bodybuilder, powerlifter, weightlifter, tall guy, short guy, casual strength trainer, skinny girl looking to "tone." Squat heavy and often! It's the one exercise that's mandatory for everybody!!!

crashcrew56
10-10-2009, 01:00 AM
I have a guy on my team that is 6'5 or 6'6 and he squats all the time and is damn good at it

bigwade
10-12-2009, 03:50 PM
There is less shear pressure on the knee from squatting than the leg extension.

Make sure you are warmed up, squat away.

I train a client who has posed in Playboy...her main leg movements....squats. She's got a booty you could chip a tooth on from squatting.