PDA

View Full Version : Which tanning product do you use?

SAMSON
02-24-2009, 06:24 AM
I've used both Protan and Dreamtan in the past. I used Dreamtan simply because of the fact you need only 1 coat backstage minutes prior to going onstage. I think that Protan gives a better colour, its just a hassle applying it! I havent used any Jan Tana products as of yet, but im considering using it for my next show.

chucksm00th
02-25-2009, 05:05 PM
ive used pro tan and to finish it off b4 i go onstage i used ultra bronze from protan...
Jan tana products are good for a quick coat but they require much more time applying since its easy to look blotchy, since ive used protan i wont go back...

What did you think about dreamtan???? Hows the color with it? does it give you a copper penny look??

pnohe
02-27-2009, 06:45 AM
I use protan with almost all of my clients. I have found dreamtan to work very well on lighter skinned black men and women.

SAMSON
02-27-2009, 02:44 PM
ive used pro tan and to finish it off b4 i go onstage i used ultra bronze from protan...
Jan tana products are good for a quick coat but they require much more time applying since its easy to look blotchy, since ive used protan i wont go back...

What did you think about dreamtan???? Hows the color with it? does it give you a copper penny look??

I thought Dreamtan was too thick, a bit like tar which can hide defenition if not applied perfectly, and yeah I thought it gave the body a copper/red look to it rather than the more natural look of Protan under the lights.

Koubs
03-03-2009, 10:34 PM
I've had opposite experiences... I used the pro-tan for my first few shows, but most recently used the jan tana... It worked great... Easy to apply, looked great... I used the 'pad' to apply the High Definition Color, 3 coats and I was ready to rock...

indianamonster1986
03-03-2009, 10:46 PM
I think both dream tan and pro tan look the same on me.

Kinda weird for me

indianamonster1986
03-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Me with dream tan

indianamonster1986
03-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Me with pro tan.

Koubs
03-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Different lighting in the 2 pictures, but they look pretty similar, yeah (you look great by the way bro!)

Rob
03-04-2009, 09:35 AM
I use a combo of protan and Jan tana...seems to produce the best color on me...For me personally, I will never use Dreamtan again. I used it for my last show and found it to be a pain in the ass and it truly ruined my appearence! (I should note however, that I used Dreamtan formula #2...maybe the original formula is a better look)

Koubs
03-04-2009, 01:37 PM
I use a combo of protan and Jan tana...seems to produce the best color on me...For me personally, I will never use Dreamtan again. I used it for my last show and found it to be a pain in the ass and it truly ruined my appearence! (I should note however, that I used Dreamtan formula #2...maybe the original formula is a better look)

Rob: How did you do this? Which did you do first and how many coats of each??

fitiron
03-04-2009, 05:51 PM
I used pro tan my first show it freaking turned me orange. Not to mention it got pretty streaky once I started sweating under the lights.

I used Jan Tana the next show and it was awesome. The application of Jan Tana was very smooth and even compared to pro tan as well.

I also finished with a coat of dream tan, and had a really good finished color...

Rob
03-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Rob: How did you do this? Which did you do first and how many coats of each??

Hey Koubs,

This is what I do for a Saturday show:

Thursday evening - 1 coat of Protan
Friday morning shower (rinse only)
Friday during the day - 2-3 coats of protan (depends how your color is looking)
Friday evening - 2-3 coats of Jan Tana (generally 2 seems to suffice)
Saturday morning - 1 coat of Jan Tana (mainly for touch-ups)
Saturday at the show, only fix areas that require touch-ups (generally armpits etc.)

This strategy worked well for me and others that have tried this. This combination seems to stay on the body very well and negates the requirement of having to put on coats of tanning product prior to going on stage...having one less thing on the list to worry about is always a good thing come contest day.

*Make sure to purchase Jan Tana's tan removal...this worked wonders for removing both the Jan Tana and the stubborn Protan.

Protan - use a larger applicator sponge then what is provided, otherwise it will take forever!

Jan Tana - I have found that application by hand works the best...unfortunately, bare hands work much better than wearing gloves, so you have to find someone who is willing to do this. :)

Using only Protan for the face is definitely good enough.

SAMSON
03-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Is this the Jan Tana that you guys like to use?

http://www.keysupplements.com/images/jantan.jpg

SAMSON
03-08-2009, 12:51 PM
I think both dream tan and pro tan look the same on me.

Kinda weird for me

Which dreamtan did you use mate, the #1 (bronze) or #2 (red)

indianamonster1986
03-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Which dreamtan did you use mate, the #1 (bronze) or #2 (red)

I used the bronze.

SAMSON
03-09-2009, 04:54 PM
That's usually used as a finishing touch after all "paint on" tans are used. Jan Tan makes something called "Hi Definition Color" that is their version of Pro Tan.

Thanks Mike, i'll look out for that. Is Jan Tana the most popular tanning product in the States now?

Carl

fitcorps
03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
I have had great experiences with:
Pro Tan
Pro Tan/Dream Tan
Spray Tan + Pro Tan
Jan Tana

My favorite is probably Jan Tana. Very easy to do. I've always had good color though. Luckilyl I get dark easy and I tan before hand which helps to make the color look more natural.

BigPablo300
03-16-2009, 03:29 PM
I perfer Jan Tana but I never used the Hi-Definition Color. I usually apply about 3 coats of "Show Tan" then I apply about 2 coats of "Competition Tan". I usually tan for about 10 weeks before the show also to help bring out the full color. Then before I go onstage I use the body Glaze which also helps bring out the color and lock it in. I use that instead of oil.

the mighty stu
03-16-2009, 03:59 PM
I will be using Pro-tan for my contest in May, but will be starting using the tanning beds at my gym twice a week this week to (hopefully!) get some sort of base. Are there any good lotions I could use to ensure I don't get all dry? I've been told that if you dry out your skin on a tanning bed, your paint-on tan won't look right.....?

S

Bob Smith Jr.
03-16-2009, 05:31 PM
^x2

tdcoach
03-17-2009, 06:06 PM
For This year, I just purchased a spray machine off of ebay and I am going to use Jantana competition color

Bob Smith Jr.
03-17-2009, 06:23 PM
what are some good lotions to use to help with dry skin and just an overall 'crisp' look to the skin while tanning?

BigPablo300
03-17-2009, 07:06 PM
I will be using Pro-tan for my contest in May, but will be starting using the tanning beds at my gym twice a week this week to (hopefully!) get some sort of base. Are there any good lotions I could use to ensure I don't get all dry? I've been told that if you dry out your skin on a tanning bed, your paint-on tan won't look right.....?

S

what are some good lotions to use to help with dry skin and just an overall 'crisp' look to the skin while tanning?

I would experiment with a couple of lotions at the place where you intend on tanning. Tell them what you are looking for in so far as bronzers and skin sensitivity. If you have real sensitive skin you may want to stay away from intense bronzers. You will just have to try a few to see what works best for you. I personally like a product called "Hemphatic" by Designer Skin. I also like "Almost Famous" for the results plus it is economical. It is a good idea to start exfoliating as well from now till the show. I like the gentle exfoliant by Dove that can be used every day if need be. Exfoliate at least twice a week though. You also want to get a good all around lotion. I use St. Ives with Collagen and swear by it. Keeping your skin at it's peak will really help the tan to sink in and stay longer. Plus as an added bonus it helps to balance your PH levels so you don't end up Orange!!!

HeavyDutyGuy
03-18-2009, 08:08 PM
I've used mostly ProTan. I have to do more than the recommended number of coats (even with a base tan) because when I start sweating, and I sweat a lot, it tends to run off and streak. I have used Dream Tan, the bronze a few times when this happened. I am trying a different tack this year. Base tan for 16 weeks instead of 4 to 6. Then getting a spray tan the day before the show. Then, either Pro Tan or Jan Tana the day of, to 'refresh' the tan and cover any weak points.

fitcorps
03-19-2009, 08:59 AM

Just do yourself a favor and get the whole Jan Tana Kit and buy 2-3 extra bottles of their moisturizer and their exfolient. They both work wonders. I thik you can get teh exfolient and moisturiziner on teh web for between 9 and 12 dollars each.

Legend
03-24-2009, 03:53 PM
No question....Jan Tana

-Z-
03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
No question....Jan Tana

Yep

DAVIDHARDY
03-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Hey Koubs,

This is what I do for a Saturday show:

Thursday evening - 1 coat of Protan
Friday morning shower (rinse only)
Friday during the day - 2-3 coats of protan (depends how your color is looking)
Friday evening - 2-3 coats of Jan Tana (generally 2 seems to suffice)
Saturday morning - 1 coat of Jan Tana (mainly for touch-ups)
Saturday at the show, only fix areas that require touch-ups (generally armpits etc.)

This strategy worked well for me and others that have tried this. This combination seems to stay on the body very well and negates the requirement of having to put on coats of tanning product prior to going on stage...having one less thing on the list to worry about is always a good thing come contest day.

*Make sure to purchase Jan Tana's tan removal...this worked wonders for removing both the Jan Tana and the stubborn Protan.

Protan - use a larger applicator sponge then what is provided, otherwise it will take forever!

Jan Tana - I have found that application by hand works the best...unfortunately, bare hands work much better than wearing gloves, so you have to find someone who is willing to do this. :)

Using only Protan for the face is definitely good enough.

I go to wal-mart and buy a package of the handi-wipes and use those. They work great. I get really dark from just one bottle of the pro-tan when I use these. I just squirt the handi-wipe a few times then rub it on. It really allows you get the most out of your dollar, because you can apply like 25-30 coats out of one bottle!

ellocogrande
03-25-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't compete but I have a question regarding this. Does anyone that competes use MT-II?