PDA

View Full Version : Bill Starr or Louie Simmons?

chasebny
02-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Im caught in a conundrum right now folks. Im tied between two programs focusing on getting me stronger this offseason. I plan on eating my face off, and catching the rebound from this diet, so keep in mind these will be bodybuilding intesive programs.

So right now the question is, a simple 5x5 by bill starr/madcow, or Louie simmons' conjugate method. My issues with each are as follows
-The WBB program seems focused on equiped lifting, and thats not my focus. I want my big three to improve so I can improve in size.
-The good morning frequency in WBB is going to be extremely challenging to progress on with my height (6'5")
-Starr has me squating three times a week. Not sure how this fairs for my knees.

As well, my cardio will be GPP/boxing. Two nights of tire flips/drags/sledge swings, and one night of heavy bag and jump rope rounds. This will be on either program, regardless of choice. I want to be at least SEMI athletic, so I need to focus on maintaining cardiovascular health in the offseason.

Body-wise, my arms and legs are my strong points, with my torso and shoulders lagging. Anyone with experience or opinions is welcome to chime in.

chasebny
02-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Bumpity bump.

greuceanu
02-25-2009, 01:04 AM
They might work different depending on where you are right now. I like to design my own stuff, but if you must chose out of the 2, give each one a shot for 6 months and see which you like better.

Hardly Krishna
02-25-2009, 01:56 AM
whoa! I made a huge post about this yesterday, and now its not here.

Cliff Notes:
1. 5x5=A phenomenal short term program
2. just don't get caught up in your rapid strength gains and stay on the program for too long
3. A warning, Squatting w/ pressing 3x a week is going to play hell on your wrists and shoulders.

Also, I noticed you're boxing, This is the program my boxing coach got me started on, and in turn I got more into weight lifting and stopped boxing. He liked the compound movements because doing Iso arm work will give you heavy arms, and big bi's will open up your guard.

DOUBLE ALSO!!! Learn to power clean and throw out those deadlifts.

BK
02-28-2009, 08:40 PM
You can put together a hybrid program that involves West Side and Bill Starr. If I were you I would'nt worry about goodmornings ro heavy deadlifts. Focus your training on box squats (both dynamic and max effort), power cleans, bench press, and overheads. With all of the boxing, tire flips, etc that you will be performing, make sure to pay special attention to volume and intensity. I would do a three day program and alternate movements every three weeks and deload evvery fourth week.
Ex. Mon: ME box squat, GHR 3x8, Pull-up 3x10-15, Abs
Wed: ME bench, DB C & P 3x8, Push up 3x20, Abs, Low back
Fri: Cleans 3x5, DE box squat, Push Jerk 3x5, DB Row 3x8, Abs