PDA

View Full Version : Just when..,.

esplendido
09-26-2009, 02:02 PM
....I am making the best gains of my life, I find myself in the ER with a potentially detatched left serratus. And it happened with a sneeze and a golf swing! Wednesday evening, I was sitting in the lounge of my cigar store watching T.V. when I sneezed....hard! I felt an immediate burning pain in my left side. I figured that I strained some muscle in that area and ignored it. It felt like a sore muscle the rest of the night and next morning. I went to play golf Friday morning and on my first drive, on the finish of my swing, I felt a pop and the sensation similar to being stabbed by a large knife. By evening, my side was swollen but not discolored. I barely slept, so here I am waiting to see a doctor.

I'll let you know what they say.... X

lilfella
09-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Good Luck Brother. My thoughts are with you.

gman
09-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Throwing some prayers your way Rick!

Baldiewonkanobi
09-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Dayum...thats a first. Ouch. About six weeks ago I had a 'tear' in my abs just to the left oh my navel. I heard an internal sound like paper ripping. It hurt like a mo fo for a few days. Could not touch the area. Then like a fool I continued to train. Still it hurt like a 3rd degree burn to the touch. Even my clothes hurt the area. The Doc tells me that I tore the nerve...what? Anyway...six weeks later I am healed. Lets hope your diagnosis is as simple and repairs lightning speed.

Golf?

Baldie

APOSTLE
09-26-2009, 02:53 PM
I will be saying a prayer Rick for a quick recovery.

esplendido
09-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks fellas. Still &!*%# waiting on the doctor. I hate ER's!

Yes Baldie...golf! And I'm not bad, even at 280lbs and a partial backswing because of my size!

APOSTLE
09-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Keep us updated please, hope it is not as bad as you think.

esplendido
09-26-2009, 04:13 PM
So far, got a chest xray to see if I cracked a rib (waiting for results) and getting a script for Hydrocodone (yay!). Then off to see my regular doc on Monday to decide if an MRI is needed, which with the obvious swelling, I think will be ordered.

esplendido
09-26-2009, 04:17 PM
The (female) ER doc said that because of my size and muscularity, I could've easily cracked a rib with a sneeze. They barely got my whole chest, front and side, in the xray, and the blood pressure cuff popped off my arm and they had the biggest one on me. It's great to be a freak of nature...LOL!

APOSTLE
09-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Get some rest and hopefully whatever it is heals soon so you can get back to training.

Freak of nature, LOL!

esplendido
09-26-2009, 04:45 PM
LOL...the ER doc said, and I quote, "you are a really, really big man, very muscular". That wouldn't have been as poignant if she wasn't an attractive, mid-thirties woman. I'm not trolling, mind you, but the compliment felt good to a 52 yr. old geezer!

APOSTLE
09-26-2009, 04:46 PM
You were just sharing your freakiness with her, it was a public service.

esplendido
09-26-2009, 07:04 PM
They sent me home with a rib wrap, a clean xray, a script for pain killers, and the advice to see my GP if the swelling doesn't go down or the pain doesn't subside in 5 days. Then, it would mean an MRI to assess the damage. Hopefully it's just a tear, but I can't work out for 7 days either way :-(

APOSTLE
09-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Use the time to rest up and heal any other aches and pains and then come back at 100%.

Baldiewonkanobi
09-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Can't train for 7 days?? I had an Inigual Hernia surgery 10 days before the Masters Mr. America some...yipes!!... 25 years ago."NO TRAINING", said the Doc. "Oh yeah"...I'll show him I thought. My routine:

Seated calf

Machine curls and tricep extension. Seated real low so 100% of the pressure was on the underside of my arms and being sure that no core muscles were involved.

Light slo mo super hi rep pec deck flies and rear delt flies.

Turtles. On the dip bar start with straight arms and slowly drop body down like a turtle going into his shell then using traps pop head to the ceiling. Do not engage core muscles.

Light slo mo leg extensions being sure no core muscles used. Same with seated ham curl backs.

Are we having fun yet?

My wife has stated that when I'm buried keep and eye on the coffin lid. If it moves, the old man is doing lid presses.

Baldie

Rocco1943
09-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Hey Rick, welcome to the "how the hell does that happen", "you've got to be sh*tting me" time of life. lol. Hope it isn't more than just an aggravating thing. I'll pm you later.

esplendido
09-27-2009, 12:05 PM
So I wake up this morning after a blessed Hydrocodone induced 8 hours of floating-above-the-bed sleep, and head to the shower. I look in the mirror and there it is....blood pooling under the skin at the injury site approximately 6" long by 3" high just above my hip bone. So it is a major tear and I know my GP will order the MRI tomorrow, and knowing what a complete tear sounds and feels like, assume it will require surgery. I'll keep you all abreast...

HeavyDutyGuy
09-27-2009, 02:57 PM
THAT SUCKS! Sorry to hear that Rick. Hope it works out ok and you get well soon.

Luv2Hurt
09-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Awwh man sorry to hear that, speedy recovery to you.

esplendido
09-28-2009, 11:26 PM
The doc ordered the MRI for tomorrow at 4:30. Results on Thursday. Crossing fingers...

bodyhard
09-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Whats the update? Hope all is well

esplendido
09-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Whats the update? Hope all is well
MRI at 4:30 this afternoon. Blood is pooling above my hip.....I have a beautiful royal purple stripe about 8"x3" (or is that my Johnson...LOL!) above my hip with marked swelling. The pain is dull and noticable only when I cough or take a shit. That is indicative of a complete tear. If it was partial, the pain would be burning and sharp....

Baldiewonkanobi
09-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Holy shit....not going in the right direction. HOWEVER, I did tear my groin really bad a few months back. My inner ear could hear the 'riiiiiiiipp' inside. Stung like a wasp. The blood pooled really bad and by day 3 was from crotch to ankle. When I get home tonight I have a nasty pic I will attach. 3 weeks later I was in the squat rack. We Bodybuilders heal like lizzards growing a new tail....SO WILL YOU!!

Hey....RU you liking my playmates I brought over??

Baldie

lilfella
09-29-2009, 03:20 PM
With your knowledge this will be an easy recovery. Best of luck.

esplendido
09-29-2009, 04:55 PM
I tore my left triceps off the elbow the end of Sept. '06. It happened during a chest workout on the bench. All the youngen's who were getting excited about me getting back into competition were saying "your career is over". I looked them in the eye while holding my swelling elbow and said "I'll be on stage in May". You should've seen their eyes roll!

I got the triceps repaired the 1st of October and was benching full strength by the 1st of March. I competed in May and June, netting 2nd in the first show (50-over) and winning the second show 2 weeks later!

Those newbs and youngsters just don't get it :no:

Quadsweep
09-29-2009, 05:20 PM
As a Vet muscle tearer...2 quad tendons and 1 bicep tendon I feel ya man! It is terrible when you see something wrong and know it will have to be an operation situation to fix it. (my left patella was laying on my shin bone when it tore and I could see 7 inches of femur under my skin after a ladder collapsed under me!) And I come back and I come back and I keep coming back! Glad it sounds to be less serious than you first thought.

Jeff

sassy69
09-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Jeebuz... ouch is about all I can say.

Hope that bad boy is fixed quickly!

Enjoy those pain killers until then tho!

Baldiewonkanobi
09-29-2009, 09:24 PM
OK boss...pick of my groin tear. The next morning the blood was down to my ankle. Within weeks....squat city. We heal FAST as you know.....

Baldie

esplendido
09-29-2009, 09:40 PM
OK boss...pick of my groin tear. The next morning the blood was down to my ankle. Within weeks....squat city. We heal FAST as you know.....

Baldie

OUCH! Did the tear heal in its proper location or did the insertion sink a little? I'm assuming a partial tear?

Baldiewonkanobi
09-29-2009, 10:41 PM
My legs are so skinny hard to tell.....Doc said a partial tear. Said I would be out months. Sorry Doc. I was on the stationary bike within days....real slooooow at first.

Baldie

esplendido
09-30-2009, 01:04 AM
The tear.....whole side, across lower abs are swollen with fluid. Bruise is below the tear by about 3".

Baldiewonkanobi
09-30-2009, 06:16 AM
As long as this little 'baby' doesnt pop out you're goona heal up fine...

Baldie....just trying to make the Boss smile

esplendido
09-30-2009, 11:27 AM
LOL! if I starve it from carbs, it'll wither and die!

Truly, it's the fluid from the injury flooding my belt line. I can still see the upper 4 abs...not that I care putting on the extra pounds while bulking :-)

esplendido
10-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Just got info on my injury. The MRI showed a level 2 strain (scale 1-5) of the oblique. Evidently the oblique can bleed quite a bit with a strain (small tear).

Doc said I could return to any exercise that doesn't cause pain!

pig
10-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Excellent news, sounds like you are on the mend and will be back hard at it soon. Give it some time to heal and thanks for all the info you share here.

Rocco1943
10-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah, real good news. You sure dodged the bullet this time. I bet you were smiling from ear to ear when you heard that. lol

gman
10-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Awesome news!

Sledge
10-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Just got info on my injury. The MRI showed a level 2 strain (scale 1-5) of the oblique. Evidently the oblique can bleed quite a bit with a strain (small tear).

Doc said I could return to any exercise that doesn't cause pain!

That's awsome news.

esplendido
10-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Going to do chest today, since that group seems to involve the oblique the least. I haven't touched a weight in nearly 2 weeks...and am actually happy about the down time. I had some nagging tendonitis in my right forearm that needed that time to recoup.

I think back is going to be the tricky workout with the injury in mind. But hell....I'm full of test...35 years of training under my belt....you guys know the drill. Back at it like nothing happened and without a care in the world. The newbs and youngen's just don't get it!

bodyhard
10-03-2009, 12:05 PM
ESP That av is sick man!!! Is that you now?

esplendido
10-03-2009, 12:12 PM
That was 1 hour after the finals at the Masters Nationals last year. I'm a tad smoother now :D

Baldiewonkanobi
10-03-2009, 12:13 PM
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

This news rocks but does not surprise me at all.

Baldie

esplendido
10-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Here's a pic from the parking lot of the gym about 3 weeks ago..280lbs vs the 233 I weighed in the avi.

bodyhard
10-03-2009, 12:15 PM
That was 1 hour after the finals at the Masters Nationals last year. I'm a tad smoother now :D

Fucking ripped man, what was your bf?

bodyhard
10-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Here's a pic from the parking lot of the gym about 3 weeks ago..

HA love the yellow gold string top! I used to own hundreds of those!!

I see the size if there!

esplendido
10-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Fucking ripped man, what was your bf?

I couldn't tell you, BH. The mirror is my only guide. And I only knew what I weighed because I had to weigh in, too. I do know that I started out at 265lbs 21 weeks prior and ended up 233 at weigh-in. Keto diet all the way!

esplendido
10-03-2009, 12:34 PM

I see the size if there!

Hell....I'd work out in no shirt if the gym allowed it. I'm so old school that I'm the only one wearing a string tank and mid-thigh shorts in the gym. In the "DAY", no one cared about sweat. In fact, you hoped that whatever the big guy benching 500 was taking would rub into your skin as you settled down for your turn at the bench.
We farted, belched, hollered, grunted, bitched, whistled, threw plates down, dropped dumbbells.....it was a cacophony of the sounds of growing muscle!
I still drop the 120's when I'm done with my set of bench flies. I drop them flat so they don't break....but it thunders out that some big, bad, sonofabitch just handled real-man weight, don't give me any lip youfaggotylimpwristed gym manager. I'm makin' the girls wet and the men jealous!

bodyhard
10-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Hell....I'd work out in no shirt if the gym allowed it. I'm so old school that I'm the only one wearing a string tank and mid-thigh shorts in the gym. In the "DAY", no one cared about sweat. In fact, you hoped that whatever the big guy benching 500 was taking would rub into your skin as you settled down for your turn at the bench.
We farted, belched, hollered, grunted, bitched, whistled, threw plates down, dropped dumbbells.....it was a cacophony of the sounds of growing muscle!
I still drop the 120's when I'm done with my set of bench flies. I drop them flat so they don't break....but it thunders out that some big, bad, sonofabitch just handled real-man weight, don't give me any lip youfaggotylimpwristed gym manager. I'm makin' the girls wet and the men jealous!

Dude you have no idea how you and I are alike in that aspect. I hate these fucking new gyms that turned into some fucking kind of fitness center for these bitch ass politically correct assholes.

I would kill to find a hardcore gym here in NY, they don't exist anymore. :mad:

My gym they didn't allow deadlifts nor chalk, fuck em I get deadlifting and I kept using chalk, they allow me to now :D

esplendido
10-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Dude you have no idea how you and I are alike in that aspect. I hate these fucking new gyms that turned into some fucking kind of fitness center for these bitch ass politically correct assholes.

My gym they didn't allow deadlifts nor chalk, fuck em I get deadlifting and I kept using chalk, they allow me to now :D

See my latest thread!

Baldiewonkanobi
10-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Thinking of my old training partner Brian Knapp, RIP. He cut open his hand once while we were doing deadlifts. He started rubbing the blood over his white Golds string top and his light gray sweat pants while growling. The morning manager came up to him and said...."you can't be doing that". 'FUCK YOU", Brian shouted as he rubbed the blood over his face. I still have and use Brians blood stained formerly white wrist straps and will NOT wash them.

Baldie

sassy69
10-04-2009, 03:04 PM

I see the size if there!

I was gonna say - OLD SCHOOL all the way! Are you wearing a do-rag & your Otomix hightops w/ the black & yellow striped spandex shorts?

sassy69
10-04-2009, 03:05 PM

What about Bev Francis? Jees you should see the pussy-whipped state of Friggen Venice Gold's. I was the biggest one there the day I went.... Very sad indeed. :byeg:

HeavyDutyGuy
10-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Thinking of my old training partner Brian Knapp, RIP. He cut open his hand once while we were doing deadlifts. He started rubbing the blood over his white Golds string top and his light gray sweat pants while growling. The morning manager came up to him and said...."you can't be doing that". 'FUCK YOU", Brian shouted as he rubbed the blood over his face. I still have and use Brians blood stained formerly white wrist straps and will NOT wash them.

Baldie

Now THAT'S hardcore. If I didn't lose straps so much... lol. I used to draw blood on my shin everytime - deadlifted. Sadly, in recent weeks its healed up so I haven't. Feel like someone kicked my dog or peed in my cheerios.

esplendido
10-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Went to the gym last night to do legs with the wife. I threw 300lbs on the leg press for a light warmup. As I lowered the weight to where my thighs hit my chest, I could feel the injury begin to pull....so I abandoned presses and spotted the wife through her heavy moves, then jumped in on leg extensions and curls. Both of those didn't bother the side, so I used normal weight on those exercises. Finished with calves and went home.

Today, did chest for the first time in 2 weeks. Repped with 365 on bench but dropped down to 105's on flat flies because getting the damn db's into place strained the side a little. Used 90's on incline flies for the same reason, but it was an excellent chest workout. Finished with cable flies and an awesome pump from being off so long. The new college rats in the gym at the time (Kansas University fuels some of the membership) stood mouth agape at our workout and the new, middle-aged-not-in-shape gym attendant asked how long I'd been working out. Nothing changes.....

mr intensity
10-11-2009, 08:25 PM
hi there sir,
how are you?..... been a long time
i have started my training after my injury....its been six weeks ..... i am try to get back in shape .... i really screwed up my physique during the lay off..... lost a lot of muscle and gained fat......

wud really appreciate if you cud check out my training journal..... i am working really hard
i wud be needing alot of motivation and tips.....
thank you

esplendido
10-11-2009, 08:51 PM
hi there sir,
how are you?..... been a long time
i have started my training after my injury....its been six weeks ..... i am try to get back in shape .... i really screwed up my physique during the lay off..... lost a lot of muscle and gained fat......

wud really appreciate if you cud check out my training journal..... i am working really hard
i wud be needing alot of motivation and tips.....
thank you

Glad to hear you're back at it. Injuries are just speed bumps. You'll get everything staight again soon. I'll look at your log from time to time.