PDA

View Full Version : Shankuan - The Journey continues 2010 and beyond

shankuan
09-28-2009, 09:20 PM
With me about to embark on a new chapter in work life...it made sense to start up a journal to keep myself accountable and in line (with holdiays approaching) and get the input of as many ppl as possible. Knowing I have to report here and getting feedback will definitely keep me motivated.

Its been 3 months since my last competition and though thinking about competing again this year...too many variables prevented that. So here I am now in my off season. But this time i want to make it one with a purpose...of improving on areas that need work and get soo much stronger.

So here I am...now completely back in the gym and so far things have been going well. Will post pics on the weekend.

Stats - 5' 8"
Off season wght - app 160lbs
Contest wght - 142-145lbs

Cardio - 5 days @ 45 mins
Lifts:
Mon - Chest/Shldrs/Tri's
Wed - Quads/Hams/Calves/Abs
Fri - Back W/Back T/Biceps/Forearms

Basic compound moves have worked beautifully with the above split and i've made some progress on my back (by far the most stubborn bp) shoulders, biceps, hams and calves. More still needs to be done. I'm also gonna try to incorporate some PL moves every 8 weeks or so just to shake things up and see how i respond. Also having my training partner back helps the drive alot more and will definitely keep me motivated.

So here it goes.

sweetjane57
09-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Looks like a DC Split.

I am def gonna keep an eye on this one.....I am 5'7" and weight is about the same....not very often do I see a 'taller' competitior.

Do you compete in BB or Figure?

shankuan
09-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks for checking in sweetjane. I saw the pic you posted in another thread and damn your looking good!!! You have long lines...and looking lean. How much longer before yoru show? I wish you teh best of luck!!

Looks like a DC Split.

I am def gonna keep an eye on this one.....I am 5'7" and weight is about the same....not very often do I see a 'taller' competitior.

Do you compete in BB or Figure?

Not exactly DC despite having the same kinda split and using basic compound movements (deads, DB presses, squats, pulls) nothing fancy. I did DC in 2007 and damn if it didn't wear me out and i found myself aggravating injuries far more often which slowed progress alot. I use a std 2 exercises per body part, 2-3 workin sets with higher rep range for legs than upper body. Aim of course is to beat the log book each time.

Its funny how I wouldn't consider myself tall when on a volleyball court matched up against some very big girls...and yet here being 5' 8" it would seem I'm a giant of sorts! lol!

did BB for the 1st time last yr, and loved it. I competed in June this year, had fun but so want to go back much more improved. Conditioning was the main problem and i plan on fixing that for my 3rd attempt (tentatively late summer next year).

shankuan
09-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Mon:
Cardio - 30 min Stepper; 30 min TM

Incl DB Press - 50~15; 55~11
Fl DB Press - 50~12, 45~15,12 (started wobbling so i dropped poundage)
DB shldr Press - 35~15,12 10 (slight rib pain hence i stayed light)
CB Side Laterals - 25~20,20
Incl Skulls - 50~20, 55~15, 57.5~10
DB Ovhd ext - 40~12, 35~12 - i could hardly lift my arms

Tues:
Cardio - 30 min Elliptical

shankuan
10-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Wed
Cardio (am) - 45 mins spin bike

Squats X3~20,16,10
Hack SquatsX2~20,15
Lying leg curlsX3~15,12,10
Standing calf raisesX3~20,16,15
Hack calf rasisesX3~20,15,15

Thurs:
Giant set:
Leg Ext X3~20,15,16
Under leg lungeX3~15,15,15
SLDLX3~15,12,12
One leg pressX3~20,15

Abs
Hanging leg rasiesX3~20,20,20
weighted crunchesX3~20,20,20

Cardio - 30 mins stepper

last night i had to wait too long for the machines and without my ipod I just didn't feel like i got the intensity i needed so i left the very crowded gym pissed :mad: and moody (without the music to drown out everything it sure as hell is distracting in there). So i went back this morning to finish it up with the lighter stuff (sldl/one leg ext/leg ext/lunges). Suffice it to say i had a very very good session with absolutely NOOO CROWD!

Perfect start to my day :yep:

shankuan
10-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Fri:
Cardio- 40 min spin bike

WGPD - 120lbX15,12,10
DB one arm row - 50lb~15,15,10
Floor Deads - 225lbs~12,10,8 (back felt very stiff so i kept it lighter)
EZ Bar curls - 60lbs~16,15,10
DB Curls - 30~15,10,10

Sat:
Cardio - 30 min stepper/ 40 min spin (took part in a charity ride)

shankuan
10-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Sun: rest, rest rest + cheat meal

Mon:

Cardio - 45 min stepper

Incl DB Press - 55lbs~15,12
Decl DB Press- 50lbs~15; 40lbs~,10,12 (for some reason my triceps start to burn after a few reps on this and fatigue despite me not lockin the elbow out)..
DB Shldr Press- 40lbs~15, 35~10,10
Db Side laterals- 25lbs~20,16
Decl Skulls (EZ Bar)- 32.5lbs es~15,13,12
O/hd ext (EZ Bar)- 45lbs~12,12,

Tues:
weight - 159lbs
Cardio - 30 min elliptical

I've got my 1st volleyball practice session 2nite after taking 6 months off to give my shoulder a break. So we'll see how the shoulder handles it (especially the right one) which is usually pretty sore after all that swinging and blocking. The hitting arm's shoulder has never been the same since coming back from rotator cuff damage a few years ago. I'm hoping the flexibility exercises i've incorporated since the start of my last prep have helped. I'm optimistic...so let's see.

sweetjane57
10-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks for checking in sweetjane. I saw the pic you posted in another thread and damn your looking good!!! You have long lines...and looking lean. How much longer before yoru show? I wish you teh best of luck!!

Not exactly DC despite having the same kinda split and using basic compound movements (deads, DB presses, squats, pulls) nothing fancy. I did DC in 2007 and damn if it didn't wear me out and i found myself aggravating injuries far more often which slowed progress alot. I use a std 2 exercises per body part, 2-3 workin sets with higher rep range for legs than upper body. Aim of course is to beat the log book each time.

Its funny how I wouldn't consider myself tall when on a volleyball court matched up against some very big girls...and yet here being 5' 8" it would seem I'm a giant of sorts! lol!

did BB for the 1st time last yr, and loved it. I competed in June this year, had fun but so want to go back much more improved. Conditioning was the main problem and i plan on fixing that for my 3rd attempt (tentatively late summer next year).

lol, that's funny. TRUE. Well, good luck. Training looks really solid. You keep alot of cardio in for an "offseason", GIRL...I dunno if I could handle that!!!!!

What's your diet like during offseason if ya don't mind me askin?????

BTW: my show is Oct 24th......ALMOST THERE! WOOTWOOT

shankuan
10-07-2009, 11:15 AM
lol, that's funny. TRUE. Well, good luck. Training looks really solid. You keep alot of cardio in for an "offseason", GIRL...I dunno if I could handle that!!!!!

What's your diet like during offseason if ya don't mind me askin?????

I've started playing volleyball again so that much cardio in the a.m. will soon cease to exist..lol. But I did keep the cardio in just to stay sane and so that i don't get too big in the offseason. But I've found that since i switched to bbing and worked with a coach to get my diet/metabolism going, i put on weight even with eating clean foods (and low carb). Its weird, i've cut out the oatmeal, sweet potato, breads etc and still have managed to put on 15lbs since June consuming lettuce, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, corn, the occasional fruit. WTF??? And that's because i keep the cardio in...so imagine what would happen if i didn't?!! lol!

I also teach aerobics so I can't help getting cardio in. I still do HATE doing steady state cardio so for now 30 mins in the am is great...but when contest time comes around and its bumped to 1hr+ i start bitchin for sure!!

My diet for now is not very different from what contest diet is. Protein/fats most days and a refeed on sunday's. The only thing i measure now is protein...i estimate the fats and i sure as hell don't measure the veggies which i have with most meals, except for post workout. Protein staples, incl eggs, chicken tuna, shrimp, the occasional piece of red meat (VERY RARE that i have this..doesn't sit very well on my stomach). Plenty veggies, fats like peanuts/almonds/canola oil/fish oil.

shankuan
10-07-2009, 11:18 AM

Well i wish you THE BEST OF LUCK...you're looking great and you'll knock 'em dead! Which show is it?

shankuan
10-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Wed:

no cardio - volleyball the night before wiped me out!

rack squats- 225~20, 21, 235~21
hack squats- 160~25, 20
lying leg curls- 90~15,13,11
seated calf raises- 120~25, 21,20
leg press toe press- 150~21,20,20

very good work out despite me swearin at Mike (my training partner/boyfriend) for making me do the xtra rep or two... :mad:

i am definitely gonna have to bring the rep ranges down...which means going heavier. I've been conservative with going heavier because of my knees and lower back...i want to push myself and step out of my comfort zone but NOt at the risk of injury. I'll just have to pay att'n att'n to how they feel.

IslandGirl
10-11-2009, 02:36 AM
Hey Shankuan. It's been awhile. Hope all is well. Enjoy your off-season. I'm enjoying mines wayyyyy too much.

shankuan
10-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Hey Shankuan. It's been awhile. Hope all is well. Enjoy your off-season. I'm enjoying mines wayyyyy too much.

Hey IG...its been ages!! How ya been? Im enjoying it so far as seeing my strength go up...but not so much the weight gain. ive accepted it though and am working on keeping it as clean as possible.

Didnt get to lift last week fri or any day on the weekend due to work committments. So i'm back on track this week.

Mon:
weight- 160lbs

incl DB press: 55lbs~10,10 (had trbl getting 'em up and ROM was off)
flat DB press 55lbs~12, 10, 10
DB shldr press: 40lb~12, 10, 10
Cable side laterals: #20~25,20
Lying skulls: 50~16; 55~12,10
DB o/head ext: 45lb~12, 10

IslandGirl
10-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey IG...its been ages!! How ya been? Im enjoying it so far as seeing my strength go up...but not so much the weight gain. ive accepted it though and am working on keeping it as clean as possible.

Busy as usual. Just got back in the gym after about 2 months of relaxation. My body needed the break.

I hear ya' on the weight gain, but if you're keeping calories clean then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Are you incorporating cardio too?

shankuan
10-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Busy as usual. Just got back in the gym after about 2 months of relaxation. My body needed the break.

I hear ya' on the weight gain, but if you're keeping calories clean then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Are you incorporating cardio too?

I was incorporating 30-45 mins light cardio, everyday just to keep me sane. But now that i've resumed playing volleyball again (with a few tournaments over the next 3 months) this will be cut down significantly with me at practice now twice a week. That plus my teaching (aerobics) schedule (3X a week)...is more than enough cardio.

shankuan
10-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Tues:
Cardio - 1.5hr volleyball

Wed:
Cardio - 45 min spin bike

Had crazy pumps throughout the entire workout and even though i had no training partner today it hurt no less to squeeze out as many reps as possible (all i did was think of him there making me squeeze out and extra rep when i honestly felt i couldn't).

Squats - 235lbs~20, 245lbs~15,16
Leg Press - 450lbs~20,16; 540~12. all this time i was doing these with the back support in the lowest postion...and hence why i always felt like i couldnt push more weight. I absentmindedly didn't adjust the bench this time and i realised i was fluid in the reps and my lower back gave me no issues...reason...it was @ 45 degrees...so i will be doing 'em this way from now on! :yep:
Machine lunges - 135lbs~20,20,18
Toe press - 180lbs~30,25,22
Seated calf raises - 140lbs~20, 150~15,14
Machine crunches - 25, 30, 30

IslandGirl
10-16-2009, 03:53 PM
I was incorporating 30-45 mins light cardio, everyday just to keep me sane. But now that i've resumed playing volleyball again (with a few tournaments over the next 3 months) this will be cut down significantly with me at practice now twice a week. That plus my teaching (aerobics) schedule (3X a week)...is more than enough cardio.

Oh yeah. That seems like enough gym cardio to me. With all your other extra, that keeps you active.

Workouts look great too! Have a great weekend.

shankuan
10-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Fri:
WGPD - 120lbs~12,5,7
Vgrip Seated row- 100lbs~15, 110lbs~12,11
DB pullovers - 50lbs~18,14,12
DB Shrugs - 55lbs~20,15,15
EZ BB curls - 60lbs~17,10,10
DB Curls - 30lbs~12,10

Mon
its a public holiday (heroes day) today so i can hit the gym this morning (something i rarely get to do). Then its off to a BBQ.

shankuan
10-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Mon:
Incl DB press - 55lb~17, 60lb~10 ....new PR!!:yep:
Decl DB press - 45lb~17, 50~13,13
Shldr Press (mach) - #60~20, #70~20, #80~15
DB side laterals - 25lb~20,20
Incl Skulls -60lbs~20,15,12
BB o/hd ext - 45ls~13,15

Good pumps, strong lifts. I've been working on getting stronger on these body parts, and am starting to see some reall progress. I'm loving this offseason!

shankuan
10-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Tues:
2hr vball training session (a ton of passing, jump serving and blocking drills)

Wed:
45 min spin bike

Squats - 265lbs~10,20,20....new PR on reps!!
Hacks - 200lbs~25, 220~20
Lying curls - 90~20,15,10
Toe press (calf) - 180lbs~35; 230~25,20
Seated calf - 135~20,20
Abs - 3X20

To say i was whooped would not be sufficient enough to describe the torture!! I suspect i shall be feeling this real soon in my arse...:drool:

shankuan
10-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Fri:

WGPD - 120~15,15,10
BBrow - 125lbs~15; 135lbs~13,11
Deads - 225lbs~16,9
EZ Bbell curls - 65lbs~16,13,11
DB Curls - 30lbs~13,11

With my teaching schedul changed, i now get to do my cardio earlier on a sat morning. This will fit nicely when prep stats...thank god!

IslandGirl
10-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey! How are you doing? Hope all is well.

shankuan
10-30-2009, 04:06 PM
I've been MIA this week for two main reasons. 1 - i've had one of the worst migraines i've had in my life lasting 4 days and 2 - a general lack of energy due to being sick from a severe sinus attack. And after day 2 of trying to remedy the situation myself i decided to visit my doc. because I am unable to take aspirin (allergic) she ruled out the usual meds (NSAIDS) of choice. So I was stuck with panadol and zyrtec. But in addition she prescribes 'frisium' - a relaxer to help me sleep and 'relax'. this after racking her brain to come up with something that wouldnt make me break out in hives or swell my face up like balloon.
So with the 1/2 pill in the morning and 1 @ night dosage of frisium - I went home. Took it along with the others and slept fine...woke up with much less of a pounding in my forehead and ok enough to go to work. But after taking the 1/2 in the morning after breakfast...i was a walking zombie thereafter! I was like WTF??? She said it was to make me 'relax' but i sure as hell didn't expect it to shut down brain function and motor skills?!!! i was literally tripping over my own feet and unable to focus within 1hr of taking it. It was soo horrible I had to go home via cab - and sen d my bf back for my car...cause I sure as hell could NOT drive!

Suffice it to say i went home @ 11:30 a.m. fell right into bed and didn't get up again until 6 p.m.!!! So i decided to ask a my volleyball team doctor about frisium and told him what i was given it for...and he was like WTF??? Its the equivalent of prosac...given to psychiatric and epileptic patients!!! Of course, my headache dissappeared after a 3hr volleyball practice session last night and a very restful sleep WITHOUT the meds. So i'm calling this week a bust in the gym.

My appetitie has gone thru the door (a RARE occurence), and i've dropped maybe around 4-5lbs and suspect that it'll continue dropping if i don't get back on balance. Hopefully I can use this weekend to do so.

shankuan
11-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Well, having recovered beautifully from my last migraine episode...i ended up not hitting the gym until this week! Volleyball has been the main reason. Two 3 day competitions 3 weeks apart is plenty work. So my gym time was cut down next to nothing with practice schedule being what it is (4 times a week). Thankfully after this weekend, i'll have 2 months of solid gym time before the practice sessions take off again, although it will be back to twice a week and prep starts.

Despite not being in the gym, it is definitely obvious that my training in the volleyball off-season (time in the gym/spinning) helped my fitness on the court. I'm usually not so fit during the off-season because i don't do as much cardio but i'm glad i kept it in this time around. Its also helped me refocus on my goals for next year, in terms of competing. I am definitely motivated (more so than usual this late in the year) to keep things in check during the holidays. January 3, 2010 is my start date.

I'm ready to do this!!!:yep:

sweetjane57
11-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Well, having recovered beautifully from my last migraine episode...i ended up not hitting the gym until this week! Volleyball has been the main reason. Two 3 day competitions 3 weeks apart is plenty work. So my gym time was cut down next to nothing with practice schedule being what it is (4 times a week). Thankfully after this weekend, i'll have 2 months of solid gym time before the practice sessions take off again, although it will be back to twice a week and prep starts.

Despite not being in the gym, it is definitely obvious that my training in the volleyball off-season (time in the gym/spinning) helped my fitness on the court. I'm usually not so fit during the off-season because i don't do as much cardio but i'm glad i kept it in this time around. Its also helped me refocus on my goals for next year, in terms of competing. I am definitely motivated (more so than usual this late in the year) to keep things in check during the holidays. January 3, 2010 is my start date.

I'm ready to do this!!!:yep:

:headbang:

shankuan
11-25-2009, 09:43 AM
What a hectic and fun weekend. The tournament was a success even though my time lost in the finals to Trinidad and the men had to settle for 3rd place. My team played well and we looked good too (i'll post up a pic later) in what i considered to be very cute and creative team jersey/short getup to date...:yep:.

Anywayz, i had to take Mon off from work to try and recover from 10 games in 3 days. Even though I am back at work, the rest of the week will see me NOT in the gym except for teaching my classes and training clients. But come next week..its back into the gym.

I've decided to do a mini cut (of sort) for the next 6 weeks (starting November 31) as I have a big beach volleyball tournament in January and damn it if i don't have to look cut in the suit. I only got my invitation letter last week and with my partner out I have a new partner to get accustomed to. So with just over a month to go, i've got to get back into training quicker than planned. I'm kind of happy because it will keep me under more control during the holidays and will kind of have me in the mind set ready for the REAL prep starting in January. I also found that i like being fit...now come June i plan to fit and freakaliciously fabulous :D.

shankuan
11-26-2009, 07:10 PM
So to hold myself accountable for the holidays and in preparation for the start of the 2010 beach volleyball circuit, it makes sense to post up some pics of the suit i will don come Jan 3. Its also a good way for me to ease into the pre-contest preprations which start immediately after my tournament. Most pics ive posted have only been with me in 'comp' suits so its a relief to be able to done a suit that isn't. I wouldnt think of wearing pink but the 'camouflage' mix made it a must have.:yep:
So here's to the first 5 weeks.

MsGuns
11-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Stay focus! Migraines are not joke. I had them bad in HS...due to stress.
ROCK the TOURNEY.
Is this a city league you play in?

shankuan
11-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Stay focus! Migraines are not joke. I had them bad in HS...due to stress.
ROCK the TOURNEY.
Is this a city league you play in?

That they are. I stay away from cheese which is a trigger especially if i have too much but other than that i don't get them nowhere nearly as often as i used to early in college.

I sure am gonna try and do some damage in this tournament. Yes i play the city league. But this is an invitational tourney which if we come out on top means automatic invitation to the national qualifying tournaments later on in the year.

MsGuns
11-26-2009, 08:58 PM
That they are. I stay away from cheese which is a trigger especially if i have too much but other than that i don't get them nowhere nearly as often as i used to early in college.

I sure am gonna try and do some damage in this tournament. Yes i play the city league. But this is an invitational tourney which if we come out on top means automatic invitation to the national qualifying tournaments later on in the year.

SWEET deal! ROCK the SAND!
What show will you be prepping for?

shankuan
11-30-2009, 09:31 AM
SWEET deal! ROCK the SAND!
What show will you be prepping for?

INBF Barbados in June and NANBF Grand Cayman two week later.

Day 1 has begun...40 more to go.

shankuan
12-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Now i'm back in the gym and it felt good. I also decided to try my version of FST-7 as a way of changing things up. I'm trying to work it to maintain my current workout split so this week is really a test run to see how it pans out.

Mon:
a.m. cardio- easy easy jog for 30 mins.

Chest/shoulders/triceps
Flat Smith Press: 95X12, 115X12,10
Incl DB Press: 45X12, 12, 10
Pec dec: #4X10,10,10,10,10,9
Seated DB shldr press: 40X12,12,11
Cable side laterals: 25X10,10,10,10,9,8 (shoulders were screaming very loud)
CGBP:85X12,12,10
DB o'hd ext: 35X10,10,8,7,6,6 (my tri's were fried like whoa!!)

Tues:
Cardio - easy easy jog for 35 mins

Back/Biceps
NGPD: 80Xfail (warm up)
WGPD: 90X15,12,11
OARow: 45X10,10,10
Pullovers: 45X10,10,10,10,10,10
EZ Bar curls:55X15,12,11
DB Curls: 25X10,10,10,8,8,8

shankuan
12-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Wed

Did legs and this program definitely wiped my ass on the floor pretty badly reducing me to nothing but streaks of my own sweat!

Squats: 185X12, 205X12,12
Hacks: 180X15,15,15
Leg ext: 2X100X12 5X90X10
SLDL: 115X12,12,12
Lying curls: 7X70X10
Standing raises: 120X15,12,12
LP Toe press: 7X12X180
Abs: 7X15Xmachine crunches

*reduced to driveling puddle of sweat and had to be mopped off the floor into the ladies room.:drool:

shankuan
12-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Had a great back workout last fri - forgot the numbers but it was pretty intense and i was pretty pumped.

fri - 04/12/09
wgpu - 12,10,8
cgpd - 12,12, 10
deadlifts- 225X10,10,10
srow - 12,12,12,10,10,8,8
DB bicep curls - 30X12,10,10
DB hammer curls - 30X10,10,10
ez bar curls - 45X7X10

It was a busy weekend last week. Had a beach tournament (fun) all day sat. I now have to change up my gym/training days as sand/beach practice sessions now have to be factored in (3X a week) and it is indeed intense. So my cardio (steady state) has been cut, completely as its counterproductive. I was trying to keep it in even at 30 mins to keep the mini-cut consistent but it makes no sense. Besides the FST-7 in the gym has me sweating like whoa you'd think i was running miles.

2nite is chest/shldrs/tri's

IslandGirl
12-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Hey! Haven't been on in a while. Just wanted to peek in and say hello.

shankuan
12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Hey! Haven't been on in a while. Just wanted to peek in and say hello.

Hi IG. Glad you stopped in...right back at ya!

Last week was a pretty hectic week traveling and such so i hardly had any gym time.

Started this week off ok except for my tonsils swelling up on me (the size of golf balls) on Monday. So while i got cardio in, i had no energy and bitch ass earache by the end of the day. Took some OTC sinus meds + panadol and hit the sack b4 8 p.m. It helped because i was up and able to hit the gym this morning. Having seen the doc and stocked up on meds, i'm hoping it gives enough relief to be able to hit the sand 2nite. Still have 3 weeks to go and plenty work to do.

Tues:
Back/Biceps

WG rack Chins: BWX12,12,12
Wg Pulldowns: 90X12,12,12
WG BB row: 95X12,10,10
V-grip Pulldowns: 90X10X3
Pullovers: 30X10; 40X10X7
DB curls: 30X12,10,10
EZ Bar curls: 45X12; 50X10X6

shankuan
12-16-2009, 07:34 AM
So the sinus infection saw me heading home early and to bed. So no vball last night. Don't know if its the meds but I had a very restful night and woke up way ahead of my alarm (and that RARELY happens). So I am thankful. I also had good enough energy to hit the gym. I couldnt teach my class afterwards however because I have no voice (or rather i sound like a scratched cd...lol).

I am still trying to work out the best workout split using FST-7 (keeping it <=1hr) so i'm trying 5 days this week in the gym.

Chest/Shoulders
Incl Smith Press: 95~15; 105~12,10
Flat Bench: 95~12,10,8
Pec Dec: 45~12,10,10
Cable Cross: #3X10X7
DB Press: 30~12,12,10
Upright row: 55~12,12,10
Front raise: 25lb plate~10,10,10
Cable laterals: 20~12; 15~12X6

shankuan
12-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Feeling much much better now but my voice has taken a mini vacation it seems (i sound liked a scratched cd teh way i'm chipping in and out)..lol!

Had a good leg workout this morning but my shoulders and chest are sore as hell. It was almost unbearable trying to place the bar across my shoulders.

Legs/Calves
Front Squats: 135X12,12,12
Hack Squats: 2 1/4 plates e.a X15,12,12...
Leg Press (legs high): 360X15,12,12,10
Machine Lunges: 105X3X12...felt like such a wuss doing these so light..
Adductors - 110X3X20 ...threw these in while i waited for the nxt machine
Leg extensions: 90X7X10
Standing calf raises: 130X15,12,12
Seated calf raises: 135X3X12
LP Toe Preses: 180X7X10

Tonite a hit the sand again...that'll be cardio. But dang if i'm not sore!!

shankuan
12-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Christmas was good but I'm glad its over. I'm also happy that i kept things under wraps. I didn't over indulge just had enough of everything to satisfy the feeling.

Training has been going great the last week and a half and its winding down to my tournament. I've had to back off the poundage in the gym because i wasn't recovering fast enough to be able to work thru my volleyball practice sessions. With just under 2 weeks to go I'm excited and I am happy with the progress made on the court.

And even more excited because i've decided to just start my prep as originally stated...JANUARY 3, 2010. I'm easing my way into it so that after the tournament i can go str8 to it! Reading how many of the women on this board stay motivated has helped tremendously and I'm excited to get this show on the road because of it!

shankuan
01-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Day 1 HAS BEGUN!

I won't be starting slow and steady cardio till next week after my beach tourney which is this weekend! But the diet has definitely kicked off.

Cardio - 2nite (2 hr volleyball session).

Happy New Year!

shankuan
01-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Had a GREAT weekend! Havent had so much fun playing volleyball in a very long time. Me and my partner, despite NOT getting to the finals, did what we set out to do, qualify for the national qualifying tournament in March. i was beat but happy, sore but content, sun burnt but feeling good. We now have some more work to do if we want to make it through the qualifiers.

So with that, the prep steps up for REAL today. Having rested sunday and yesterday i was pretty fresh and raring to get back in the gym. At 4 a.m. it was pretty quiet and free...just the way i like it!

cardio - 1hr TM

worked back/biceps.

22 weeks to go.

shankuan
01-12-2010, 06:43 PM
what i thought was a dizzy spell from the diet turned out to be the aftershocks of the 7.0 earthquake that hit Haiti over an hr ago. now they've issued a tsunami watch for surrounding countries (cuba, dom rep, bahamas). I am praying for all those ppl affected!

shankuan
01-14-2010, 12:20 PM
wed -

legs/shoulders (started fairly light and didnt worry about rep range, just went with what felt good)

squats - 185~25,20,20
leg press- 270~25, 360~20,20
adductors- 90X3~20
leg extension- 90X20, 100~20,15,12
Db shoulder press- 30~15,12,10
upright row- 55~12,12,12
front/side cable laterals- #2X7X10

cardio (p.m.) - 1hr spin bike

diet has been great so far. i've realised that cravings (for me) are sight & mind driven. each time i see someone having some sweet treat, i STEP away and find that the moment i do that and tell myself it aint necessary, the craving goes away! :p

thurs - cardio only (1 hr TM)

i'm having some flu like symptoms which has cut my appetite, (a good thing with dieting - eliminates cravings) and has given me the sniffles. i'm hoping that with upping the vit c, early nights (which i've been doing all week) and plenty water will help drive this out as quickly as possible.

shankuan
01-19-2010, 12:28 PM
So i was hit with the flu last week after fighting it for most of the previous week. It hit me full force on thursday str8 thru the weekend. For the most past i am happy it didn't zap my energy, i just had a big ole sniffle & sneezing fest with a late bout of a headache. Thankfully, some serious sleeping, upping my vitamin c coupled with the meds provided by my doc, i am almost back up 100%. I was able to hit my workoust just the same and somehow i think the sweating and the adrenaline may have contributed to me feeling better so quickly. (i'm reaching here..when generally they'll tell you to REST completely http://www.intensemuscle.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif)

So now i'm left with an annoying head cold which i'm hoping to get rid off very soon. The work continues http://www.intensemuscle.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Fri - 15/1/10
Back/Abs

Vgrip pulldowns - 100~15; 110~12,10
Seated row - 100~15; 110~15,12
DB Pullovers - 50~17;15;12
Shrugs - 60~20,15,12
Reverse pec deck (7) - 35~10X7 (it was really hard to do these with my forehead/neck in a comfy position...didn't want to risk injury so i kept it light)
cable oblique wood chops ss leg raises - #30 ~20,15,15 (each side) ss 15,15,15
cable rope crunches on ball ss weighted oblique twists - #40~15,15,15 ss 25lb plate~ 20,20,20 (each side)
Cardio - 40 mins Treadmill @ 4.0, 3.5 mph

Sat - 16/1/10
Legs/Calves
Hack squats - 180~20; 230~15; 250~12
DB SLDL - 45~20; 50~18,15
Abductors - 90~20,15,15
Leg curls (7) - 60~10,10,10,10,10,8,8
Standing calf raises - 110~20; 120~15,15
Seated calf raises - 115~20,15,15
Lep press toe press (7)- 180~20, 12,12, 12, 10,10,10
Cardio post w/o- 30 mins TM @ 4.0; 3.5mph

hammies were pretty sore sunday but definitely doing better today.

Mon - 18/1/10
Chest/Triceps
Inclined Smith - 105~15,12,12
DB Flat press - 50~12,12,12
Pec deck (7) - 45X10; 40X10, 35X10,10,10,10,10
Lying skullcrushers - 50~12,12,10
Bench dips - bw~15, 35lb plate in lap~12,10
Tricep pressdowns - 50~12,12,12,10,10,10,10
Cardio post w/o - 1hr TM

triceps were ready to burst by the time i got to set 4!! Chest is the hardest to train for me because of my right shoulder and somehow i progress the least quickly on these exercises. I am working on it though! I refuse to be a WIMP!

tues -19/01/10

Went to bed maybe 30 mins later than normal and had to struggle to pull myself outta bed! arghh...

attempted to warm up my shoulder using the broom but holy crap...my chest was pretty sore i could barely get my arms behind me...ouch!!! Did some light pulls instead...

Back/biceps
wide grip pulldowns - 100~15; 110~12,10
wide smith bbell rows - 95~15; 105~15,12
underhand grip pulldowns - 90~15,100~10,10
straight arm pulldowns - 50~12; 40~10X7
dumbell curls - 25~15; 30~12, 12
ez bar curls - 45~15; 50~12,10
cable curls - 40~10X7 (my biceps were pretty shot from reverse grip pulls so i did these by sheer force of will with some teeth grinding thrown in)http://www.intensemuscle.com/images/smilies/wacko.gif

cardio - 1hr tm @ 6%, 3.5 mph

essmonet03
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
So i was hit with the flu last week after fighting it for most of the previous week. It hit me full force on thursday str8 thru the weekend. For the most past i am happy it didn't zap my energy, i just had a big ole sniffle & sneezing fest with a late bout of a headache. Thankfully, some serious sleeping, upping my vitamin c coupled with the meds provided by my doc, i am almost back up 100%. I was able to hit my workoust just the same and somehow i think the sweating and the adrenaline may have contributed to me feeling better so quickly. (i'm reaching here..when generally they'll tell you to REST completely http://www.intensemuscle.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif)

So now i'm left with an annoying head cold which i'm hoping to get rid off very soon. The work continues http://www.intensemuscle.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Yea they say that you are suppose to rest and that working out makes it worse (especially if you have a fever) because the heart works harder even more when you are sick... I appreciate the fact that you took care of yourself first! Because that is most important.

I had the flu and was knocked out for 2 days so i know how you felt... its no fun when you cant get to the gym! looking forward to seeing what you bring to the stage!:yep:

shankuan
01-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Yea they say that you are suppose to rest and that working out makes it worse (especially if you have a fever) because the heart works harder even more when you are sick... I appreciate the fact that you took care of yourself first! Because that is most important.

I had the flu and was knocked out for 2 days so i know how you felt... its no fun when you cant get to the gym! looking forward to seeing what you bring to the stage!:yep:
Hey..THANKS for stopping in! :) Being sick SUCKS big time, especially when it affects doing the things you most enjoy! So i made sure to rest as much as i could. Even now that most of its over, i'm still trying to get as much rest and not overdo it.

IslandGirl
02-01-2010, 02:18 AM
You put on some nice muscle girl!!!

I started up on FST-7 too! So far, I am liking it. Very different from DC training. Just wanted to try something different. Going to run this for about 8 weeks or so and see how it goes.

Good luck with your prep!

~gymdiva~
06-20-2010, 07:47 PM
hey so did you get to compete last weekend? how was it if you did?

shankuan
06-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Yes i did. Took 2nd in the open. Need to come in much much tighter with more condition. I so definitely want to nail this but I'm NOT mentally ready for an off season. So with my current condition, i'm using the next 12 weeks to make some adjustments (for want of a better word) to improve on this and get back on stage on September 18 in NYC @ INBF Naturalmania.

shankuan
06-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Yes i did. Took 2nd in the amateur open. It was a fun show and I met some really cool people. Met WNBF Pro - Toni West, who's physique i really like plus she's pretty to boot. She along with a few other pro's offered up some good advice and seeing them do their thing has left me totally motivated for the next show in 2011. Thanks for asking GymD!

Judges comments - need to come in much much tighter and more conditioned. I agree but was still happy with the improvements I made this time around but it hasn't gotten me where i would like - i can be a bit competitive, so my way of thinking is if i'm busting my chops as hard as I am then i'm working not just to place top 3 or 5 but to win. I'm beginning to realize either i need to have a longer prep (> 6 months) or i keep my weight gain in the offseason no more than 10lbs (last one was 15lbs). Right now however I am so NOT mentally ready for an off season. I'd like another crack at a improving my condition, so with my current condition as a start i'm using the next 12 weeks to make some adjustments (for want of a better word) and get back on stage on September 18 in NYC @ INBF Naturalmania.

~gymdiva~
07-02-2010, 10:37 PM
how's the transition and continuing prep going?

GirlyMuscle
07-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Congrats! Will you post pics from your shows?

shankuan
08-12-2010, 09:57 PM
how's the transition and continuing prep going?

Pardon me for like being such a douche bag and NOT responding for so long! GD, the transition was pretty simple. I took a week off from the gym and watching the diet - i ate pretty much the same things just didnt measure everything out.

The continuing prep...well that was 6 weeks ago and its getting harder and harder because it really just SEEMS harder and harder and the body wants to not cooperate sometimes (alot of the times really) this run. 5 weeks to go and i'm trying to kick my own ass into submission by then. I trust the process and the coaching to get me there but damn it if its just as hard as if i was prepping for a full 16 weeks an dhad a ton of fat to get rid of.

Congrats! Will you post pics from your shows?

see the pics form the show. only 3 competitors. the shorter woman won.

feedback and comments on thinsg to improve on are always welcomed.

shankuan
10-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Its been a while but i thought i'd share pics from my last show (Sept). Won the heavyweight but lost the overall to the lightweight winner. So now its offseason time, albeit a bit more active than normal due to beach volleyball season. Time to work on growing a bit and improving on things for next year. With a structured offseason plan now in place I think i can make good on that promise. :)