PDA

View Full Version : What would you expect from this...

Jason Newman
02-24-2009, 06:16 PM
workout routine
M-1 set 20rep squat and 5x5 military press

W 2 sets 10 rep squat same weight as Mon, 3x12 dumbell pullover

F 2 seets 15 squat same weights again,

Sat 8x3 bench superset with 8x3 rows or weighted pull ups:confused:

Orca
02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
If it's a big change up from the normal routine, it would be good for shocking the muscles. It's at least intermediate level though (supersetting triples on bench and row) so despite the basic nature, not really a basic or beginner routine.

Most of the success would come from the shock value, just doing 3 squat days (at the same weight and only 5 total sets) wouldn't be enough to produce dramatic gains in squat numbers. To be fair, I was just reading about the Smolov cycle so I may be biased =P

What are your goals? And/or the alleged goals of this program?

Jason Newman
02-24-2009, 09:48 PM
my boss laid it out for me to bring up size strength and density to my upper body, my legs are good for strength but my upper body is really lacking, bench 240 at 195lbs 6'1 and deadlift 400 or so but squat at least 400, 230 for a set of 20 roughly

Jason Newman
02-24-2009, 09:49 PM
supposed to try it for 2 months, i like the raw strength i feel on it

Orca
02-24-2009, 10:03 PM
I definitely like the exercise choices and the overall volume for the week. What I'm wondering is A) Why Chest and Back are on the same day? and B) Why the instructions for the squat are so precise?

On the other hand, I see no reason why it wouldn't help you meet those goals. Good exercises, hit them intensely and you'll grow. If you are liking the routine then that's half of what you need to know about it, the positive attitude and the motivation to lift hard and consistent is what will really get results.

Also, I wouldn't call a 240 bench lacking, unless you're a powerlifter.

Jason Newman
02-24-2009, 11:11 PM
well my boss liek strongmen powerlifting things, he looks like a powerlifter with bber abs, we eat like bbers and train like powerlifter, but ya 240 is pretty weak for me, i benched 225 in HS so i havent gone up much

greuceanu
02-25-2009, 01:06 AM
I would expect different results based on the point i'd be at relative to my strength.If you like the results, keep doing it until you don't like the results anymore. 2 months is a short time to try a program, might as well try it since you are in the experimentation phase.