PDA

View Full Version : Dieuretics Year Round

figurebre
09-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Is anyone here prescribed dieuretics year round? A few of my trainer friends told me that their clients take them year round as prescribed by a doctor.
Just wondering if this helps at all? I tend to naturally carry around a ton of extra water, you can visibly see the retention after pressing on my skin, or if I wore socks/elastic on my legs.

musclemilf
09-29-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm no expert taking diruetics (sp?) year round for the sake of shedding water to look good has to be dangerous to the electrolyte balance in the body. Maybe the trainer is referring to clients who have high blood pressure? Some doctors prescribe direutics (there goes that spelling...) in addition to some HBP meds.

Suzanne
09-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Believe me if this were a good idea i would be the first to jump on board as i carry tons of water year round but doubt it is good thing to do

I am thinking this be be my project after Nationasl to figure out why some people hold water. Could be be hormone levels estrogen to testosterone to progesterone etc

I also get the sock thing, i have all kinds of lines in my skin in the morning from the sheets

our bodies ten to go to homeostasis so i would think once you take the diuretic long term your bod would respond somehow to bring you back to where you were and then the diuretic would not work then you would also have tons of probs trying to drop water for show

Lee Penman
09-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Diuretics year round is not a good idea. You will throw your electrolyte balance and you NEED a certain amount of water in your body for normal function.

TheTransformator
09-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Duretic are strong meds...not to joke around with...

STACEYK
09-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Believe me if this were a good idea i would be the first to jump on board as i carry tons of water year round but doubt it is good thing to do

I am thinking this be be my project after Nationasl to figure out why some people hold water. Could be be hormone levels estrogen to testosterone to progesterone etc

I also get the sock thing, i have all kinds of lines in my skin in the morning from the sheets

our bodies ten to go to homeostasis so i would think once you take the diuretic long term your bod would respond somehow to bring you back to where you were and then the diuretic would not work then you would also have tons of probs trying to drop water for show

With Suzanne on this one! diuretics should not be taken year round some people are just prone to excessive water retention. I will say this awhile back I used to NEVER salt my foods with anything that said garlic salt, or salt in any form and that caused me a lot of my problems with rebounding, etc. This year, I season my food regularly in the off season and precontest until I have to cut it out and use salt and my water retention has gotten better and less due to me not having a sodium phobia-

Wolfpack
09-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Don't you work with someone? Why don't ask him, he seems to be a pretty intelligent guy.

sassy69
09-29-2009, 03:56 PM
I'd also counter w/ the question of WHY would you choose to follow that protocol year round. I assume there's a valid reason to even consider it?

IMO anythign that is considered part of a short-term manipulation is not somethign that you should look at as a full-time maintenance protocol. The more you can rely on your lifestyle and your body to run as it is supposed to (i.e. maintenance) in the off-season, the less it has to figure out how to respond to / rely on. I'd also venture that those treatments will work less well when you would want to include them (e.g. peak week for a show).

neofarq
09-29-2009, 04:36 PM
You also have to consider what some people may consider a "diuretic". Drs. prescribe mild diuretic/salt pills to people suffering from all kinds of ailments. I have a cousin who is 30 and has Rumatoid Arthrittis (spelling?) and she is prescribed Hyrdochlorothiazide by her Dr. to reduce the swelling in her joints. She takes 10 mg. basically whenever she feels like the swelling is unbearable or inhibiting movement.

It's a Dyazide/Aldactone mix (if i'm not mistaken) and I used the stuff leading up to my last show and the stuff worked wonders, dry as hell and hard as a rock. I used about 70 mgs. of the stuff over a 48 hr. period, that's an extreme dose though for an extreme situation, not recommended for every day usage.

For a normal/everday person a good clean/low sodium & carb/high fiber diet along with drinking a lot of water usually will kep the sub-cute water down as well.

RealLilSwole
09-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Bre,
I also carry a ton of water in my legs but I would NEVER use ANY dieuretic year round. Dieuretics are used for many reasons but the obvious one it to controll blood pressure. There are many types of dieuretics for different things but ANY of these drugs wether they are potassium sparring or not can really mess up your VERY important electrolye system. Potassium and Magnesium are of the most important to the heart's electrical system and keeping it working. If you start messing diuretics year round, you could very possibly do some cardiodamage to your heart. Especially with all the cardio that I read that you do. NO doctor with ANY intelligence or that cares for his patients at all would never prescribe this unless you needed it for a health related issue. I have read many of your postings on here. I would say we are alot alike. I HATE my body offseason and its hard for me to accept it. I weigh in at showtime at 114 then I blow up to over 150lbs, and believe it or not, I am eating clean for the most part. Now if there is something I really want I have it. But carbs just put the weight on me QUICK. But I am trying to bulk right now....and I hate that look too! LOL! But its just part of the game.

You and I BOTH need to love ourselves more and learn to love our WATERY legs and Booties!

I hope you have a great day!

neofarq
09-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Watery legs......... a bi-product of that damn thing called gravity!!!!!!!

Suzanne
09-29-2009, 05:54 PM
you do not need to go low sodium your body will balance sodium potassium etc

sodium should only be reduced final week for water drop or if you have medical issues that require it otherwise only changes in sodium will cause changes in body water and that is temp

Quadsweep
10-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I knew (past tense note) a girl who was actually a world class powerlifter that used lasix on a regular basis and burnt her kidneys up and had to have a transplant that she rejected and is no longer with us. Really not worth it. Try herbal products like Dandilion root.

RealLilSwole
10-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I knew (past tense note) a girl who was actually a world class powerlifter that used lasix on a regular basis and burnt her kidneys up and had to have a transplant that she rejected and is no longer with us. Really not worth it. Try herbal products like Dandilion root.

Dang.....thats awful!

SallyAnne
10-13-2009, 03:52 PM
I know people who take dandelion root year round as a way to control their water fluctuation. I have not heard that it causes any problems, provided you don't overdose yourself with them.

s2h
10-13-2009, 09:01 PM
try drinking more water,kinda simple drink more= pee more=hold less water!!!

JillyRev
10-13-2009, 09:47 PM
I know people who take dandelion root year round as a way to control their water fluctuation. I have not heard that it causes any problems, provided you don't overdose yourself with them.

i think a natural way for year round (if you feel you really need to) is the way to go... but a perscription taken year round?? that just sounds crazy to me.

militantmuscle
10-14-2009, 03:51 PM
No way, natural or otherwise. Your body will simply get acclimated to it. Then when you really need to drop water what are you going to do?

Tatyana
10-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Diuretics year round are for people who have serious medical conditions like congestive heart failure, hypertension, renal problems, or cirrhosis of the liver.