PDA

View Full Version : looking to compete.

crazycenter
10-01-2009, 03:18 AM
hi all,

i have been training on and off for 3-4 years and have always struggled with commitment.

i have been thinking recently about competing and using this as a goal for my training.

i am 6ft, 265lbs and using the various online bodyfat calculators have around 20% bodyfat.

i was toying with the idea of trying to get ready for a first timers event next july, but am wondering if it would give me enough time to prepare, would i be better off looking at events a year or so away.

if i was to aim for july, what would be the best way to prepare, would i have time to cut, bulk and then cut again or would i be better off cutting slowly for the whole 36 weeks?

cheers in advance.

The gift
10-01-2009, 04:49 AM
hi all,

i have been training on and off for 3-4 years and have always struggled with commitment.

i have been thinking recently about competing and using this as a goal for my training.

i am 6ft, 265lbs and using the various online bodyfat calculators have around 20% bodyfat.

i was toying with the idea of trying to get ready for a first timers event next july, but am wondering if it would give me enough time to prepare, would i be better off looking at events a year or so away.

if i was to aim for july, what would be the best way to prepare, would i have time to cut, bulk and then cut again or would i be better off cutting slowly for the whole 36 weeks?

cheers in advance.

Since I never competed its hard to give advice but since no one else gave you any I will give it a shot.
If I was you I would not do a cutting, bulking and cutting phase. That just sounds confusing. I would stay on matience for right now and mabye a little on the calorie + side. And then if you were to compete in july next year I would start getting ready pretty long before mabye 6-4 moths and start of by doing light cardio and carb down but do not cut them out completley. Watch your bodyfat at all times so its decreasing nice and steadily, then slowly as your getting closer to the comp cut more and more of your carbs while upping your fat and protein intake. Do alot of amino acids in between meals and/or at night to keep as much muscle as possible. The last time berfore the show you will however most likley be in starve mode. Are you planning to compete as a natty?

The Thinker
10-01-2009, 05:08 AM
This forum has so many competitors you can learn from. Take some time to participate and learn from all of them. Once you feel like you've learned enough to make a plan, identify what show you want to do and go for it. Welcome to RX

Sledge
10-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Their are a few first time competitors with logs on the board mate. Have a look through there experiences to get a feel for what you should do.

I've never competed, but was thinking along the lines of yourself as setting it as a goal and committing to a comp to keep motivation going.

From reading other peoples logs it seems the first time you try and diet down to those very low body fat ranges your body fights you the whole way both mentally and physically. And even though you can read what the seasoned competitors say you can't really relate to it without the experience. So I'd say do a 12 week cut. Do it 100% do it hard and serious and see what your body does and how it reacts. See where your own mental barriers lay and work through them and get past them. Also you can see whats under there, what do you need to work on etc etc. Then do a clean bulk put on some muscle and work on weak areas. Then 16-12 weeks out from the comp you can start the cutting process again and you know what to expect, your not going in blind and you'll recognize the barriers when you hit them. You'll also most likely not be starting at a high BF% either.

I'm sure some here would disagree with me. And while my method would be the way I'd do it, it may not be the best for yourself. Maybe jumping in and committing to a show and going all out the first time would suit your personality better, have a think about it read some logs, talk to some competitors and go from there.

MusclesMarinara
10-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Best advice i could give you is to get a coach!! Doing your own diet especially your first time will be extremely tough because you dont know how your body will respond.

crazycenter
10-02-2009, 09:46 AM
thankyou all for the advice, definitely gonna have a better look around, see how others have gone about things, will definitely post back once i start, maybe try posting my own log to keep me further committed.

sweed
10-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Set a date for which comp you want to be in, tell everyone you know so you are bound to compete! win or lose the show, you will be a winner in your own mind I am sure!

milesfitness44
11-10-2009, 02:33 PM

No spamming please :)