PDA

View Full Version : Types of Grip

Sistersteel
02-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Well Rob the strongman and I were talking grip in another thread and I came across another member who had mentioned trying to improve grip strength, so I thought I would post some useful info on the subject. If you've ever asked yourself which is the best one and what is the difference, then you might want to read this thread.

The types of grip are:
⇒Closed
⇒Hook
⇒Alternated

Closed Grip ~This is the most common/natural grip. The fingers are wrapped around the barbell with the thumb positioned along side the index finger, the grip remains like this for the remainder of the exercise. While under low loads this remains an effective grip, when the athlete begins to perform near maximal lifts the grip strength will generally fail before the muscles in the or back are fatigued. That is generally when most lifters use use straps to wrap round the barbell, but straps are not always the best option for all. The thing about lifting straps that I don't like is that it keeps the athlete from actually developing sufficient grip strength. There may be times when straps are necessary, i.e. when returning from injury, however grip strength will develop as body strength improves.

Hook Grip ~ In weightlifting (clean and jerk/snatch) the athletes are taught to use the hook grip when lifting. The thumbs wrap around the barbell first, and then the fingers wrap over the top of the thumb and barbell. This means that the thumb is applying pressure to the barbell and fingers are also applying pressure to the thumb and barbell. Experience has shown us that athlete’s who use this grip can lift heavier than athletes who use the closed grip. Therefore, for the long-term development of the athlete if they begin using the hook grip when training then their grip strength will be stronger.The negative side to the hook grip is the soreness to the thumb and thumbnail when first using the grip. Athletes will experience soreness to the thumbnail due to the applied pressure to the nail of the thumb when exercising. However, generally this will reduce within 6-8 training sessions and the body adapts to the effects of the grip.
I use tape on all my fingers and lots of chalk and I am good to go.

Alternated Grip ~ The alternated grip is predominately used by powerlifters (Bench press, squat and deadlift) in the deadlift. One palm faces towards the body and the other faces away from the body. The athlete can use either the hook or closed grip. The grip allows the athlete to pull on the barbell when deadlifting and results in greater use of the biceps during the lift. Generally this is stronger than a closed grip and similar to a hook grip in terms of amount of load that can be lifted before grip failure. The drawback of this grip is it can only be used in exercises up to waist level e.g. deadlift and Romanian deadlift. If the athlete is developing clean technique then this grip is not recommended as when performing the Olympic lifts the barbell finishes above head height. Therefore the alternated grip cannot be used to perform this movement.

Conclusions and Recommendations

As a strength athlete it is necessary to develop a strong grip. When in the weight room it is nearly always necessary to grip something when performing exercises. Therefore sufficient grip strength is necessary to excel in your chosen sport. When competing in your sport there may be occasions when an alternated or closed grip will be necessary as the quickest option. For lifting for maximal loads my advice would be to use a hook grip as any movement can be performed using this grip. The other two types of grip can also be used and developed so that grip strength improves under different environments.

The END :)

Viking
02-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Always nice to read about grip...

Sledge
02-25-2009, 10:31 AM
GI Joe had a Kung Fu grip.

militantmuscle
02-25-2009, 12:25 PM
I know powerlifters love the alternated grip, but you guys are trading off strength for potential injury in your spine, the way the hands are alternated places undue strength at different points to cause a great imbalance to the lower back.

robert da strongman
02-25-2009, 05:19 PM
going to have to give the hook grip a try.

sven karlsen has used the alternating grip to clean an axle. strange but effective.

greuceanu
02-25-2009, 07:19 PM
I know powerlifters love the alternated grip, but you guys are trading off strength for potential injury in your spine, the way the hands are alternated places undue strength at different points to cause a great imbalance to the lower back.

Hook grip is extremely difficult if not impossible for someone with small hands.Someone who can otherwise deadlift significant amounts of weight, i mean.

Sistersteel
02-25-2009, 07:56 PM

sven karlsen has used the alternating grip to clean an axle. strange but effective.

I've tried cleaning an axle with an alternating grip. That shit will mess your back all up. By the time I get through the first pull and switch grips and go for the second pull to get it on my chest, my spine is ready to snap in half.
Never again.

robert da strongman
02-25-2009, 07:59 PM
it is painful looking.
i suppose as long as a continental is allowed it is worth the try.

but i would rather do it regular.

GameofInches
02-25-2009, 08:53 PM
When I do axel presses I almost always have to do an alternate grip clean then rest it on my stomach (significantly leaning back) and then switch grips to snap it up for my press. It is almost impossible to double overhand axel clean heavy weight. I don't care for this method, but it is the only way to do it with heavy weight.

tjoe
02-26-2009, 06:52 AM

sven karlsen has used the alternating grip to clean an axle. strange but effective.So does big Derek and most of the guys he trains with...

s9rUrxVInj8&feature=channel_page

robert da strongman
02-26-2009, 12:56 PM
again he is one sick lifter!!

cant wait till monday!!