PDA

View Full Version : At-a-a-a-a-ck them! (the weights, that is)

Pages : [1] 2 3

partsRheavy
10-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Well, I guess I'll try doing a journal here.

I've been lifting a couple of years but took a break this summer to get some projects done around my house.

Prior to lifting, I did a bunch of distance walking i.e. 10K walks.

More next post before the computer logs me out...

partsRheavy
10-02-2009, 08:38 PM
OK, so the above post tells you my rallying cry, which is "At-a-a-a-a-ck them!" referring to the weights.

I aim to w/o 3x/week. I occasionally miss a day owing to schedule issues or soreness.

Also, a few pics of me. Not on a diet and no competition prep of any sort anticipated for a long time. I pretty much lift for fun and to see what I can do.

Here are a few more stats and stuff about me -

-Overall goal = To increase strength and put on a little more size
-Philosophy of life. Not a member of any organized religion and rather lacking in faith. That being said, I sort of admire Zen, non-military Shintoism, and maybe Buddhism. I also appreciate and have a background in science.
-Age = 45
-Height = 5'2"
-Weight = currently 140 lbs
-Pants size = misses' 8.
-Top size = medium
-Fave body part to work = back because I have decent strength in the back and the soreness isn't too bad afterward
-Least favorite body part = abs...they get sore!
-Why I lift = First it started out as part of a job. Then, for fun. I realized that I am better at weights than at basketball because I'm short LOL. Lately, after having two sedentary friends develop serious health problems within one month of each other, I also have a more serious reason to lift.
Fave cars - Toyota, followed by Subaru.
-Fave brands = Liz Claiborne, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger but for tops only
-Fave stores = thrift stores!!!!
-Fave healthy foods = chicken, swordfish, curried chicken. catfish, olive oil, sometimes eggs
-Cheat foods = dark or mint chocolate, beer, Mexican food
-Music = classic rock, Motown, and sometimes international stuff or even old time hard country
-Music ya don't play unless you want a 10 lb plate thrown at ya = Anne Murray, smooth jazz, sappy country

partsRheavy
10-02-2009, 08:46 PM
No workout today. Today I went to help some friends clean and sort out their office. He's a part time accountant and also owns a small business.

Taxes and expense reports of clients from 1999, 1998, 1997 ---- yum!!!!!

We filed the newer things away today and deep-sixed some goodies from 1933, um, I mean 1973 or was it 1993?

Yesterday's w/o, from which I am still sore, involved

30 lb DB Rows - 3 sets x 8 or 9
70 lb Low Row - 3 sets x 10
Preacher Curl - 2 sets of 15. Curl bar (unknown wt) + 5 lbs
Calf Raises 110 lbs. 2 sets of 9. A little heavy. Haven't done them in a while

SallyAnne
10-02-2009, 08:49 PM
lol @ Anne Murray. :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Q-tJBsOsboM

partsRheavy
10-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Kill that Anne Murray earworm!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj7UBgVVew8&feature=related

partsRheavy
10-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Try again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj7UBgVVew8

For some reason I can't Youtube! It's the curse of Anne Murray!!!!! Arrrrgh!

partsRheavy
10-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Third try....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyU7BbQSm98

musclemilf
10-02-2009, 09:35 PM
It's the spirit of Anne Murray not allowing you to post! LOL!!

Seriously, I haven't figured out how to post a you tube video yet.

partsRheavy
10-03-2009, 10:49 PM
More 1993 taxes going into the dustbin LOL.

Still a little sore from Thursday's w/o, plus the tax office work is 30 miles in the opposite direction from the gym.

However, 2 sets of 25 squatties with an unloaded 45-lb bar.

And, some beautiful sunny fall weather!!!! :yep:

freebirdmac
10-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Glad to see you're back in the gym! Now we have to stop your long breaks :yep:

partsRheavy
10-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Freebird ---- you are so right!!!!

Well, today, I did shoulders after a little warmup on the leg sled. Shoulders are one of my weaker parts.

Leg Sled
2 plates/side for 3 sets of 12. Depth OK but nothing to write home about. Usually, I do 70/side (45 + 25) but the gym was really crowded and I couldn't steal 25's from the benches LOL.

Shoulder w/o:

Incline bench - 65 lbs
Back down to 55 lbs

Standing Overhead press with Fixed-Wt Bar - 32 lbs
Try 36 lbs

Did a few DB shoulder presses right after with 10's

Standing Bicep Curl - 32 lbs
Try 36 lbs

As you notice, this gym has some odd-weight fixed bars. Great for females!!

And, I picked up a Benjamin (100-lb plate) for 1 rep. :)

My friends' office is 70% clean. Gonna finish it tomorrow. I'm going to insist that the 1996-era stuff in the filing cabinet gets thrown out so he can use the cabinet for 2002-2004 stuff LOL.

partsRheavy
10-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Moved several boxes of books/papers around and threw out an old TV today. Decluttering!!

Then, went to the gym.

Worked back today:

DB Rows - 30lbs
13-13
Try 35 lbs
9-9
Back down to 30 lbs
13-13

A few Standing Sorta-Rows in the Smith Machine with 45 lbs including Smith bar
Sucky because the motion is much more at my sides than the other exercises

Sit-down Row - 70 lbs

Lat Pulldown - 40 lbs

Diverging Seated Row Machine - 70 lbs

Saw an acquaintance who works at a local Mexican restaurant. He was looking _muy bravo_ on the cable x-over.

Dinner was catfish at Earth Fare buffet!

partsRheavy
10-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Today was sort of crosstraining cardio. I did an approx. 45-min. uphill hike on a section of the Appalachian Trail while wearing a pack with a 32-lb piece of metal (origin: scrapyard) in it. The section of trail goes up to a viewpoint with several switchbacks along the way.

It was a beautiful warm day with leaves just starting to turn, and this hike worked up a sweat!

partsRheavy
10-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Glute Ham Raise (BW only)

Bench - 70 lbs
down to 65 lbs

Cable x-overs - 10 lbs

Chest Press Machine - 70 lbs

Low Row - 75 lbs
(some gruntin')

Abs 'n' Back Rope Pulldown - 60 lbs
I don't know the name of this exercise, but ya kneel on the floor, grab the tricep rope and pull down. Looks pretty funny when ya do it

Had a fun and busy Saturday, too. Gotta have fun before cold weather arrives! Visited an organic farm, watched salsa music, and watched Tennessee walking horses strut around an arena! No, I can't salsa dance and I'm really rusty with horseback riding, but I enjoyed both!

What I did at the organic farm was fun! I gave pruning "haircuts" to some lavender bushes and kept the leaves! You prune about 1 1/2" off the lavender bushes to get them ready for fall. Mmmmm - fragrant!

The horse show was unplanned and happened on the spur of the moment. It was going on next door to the salsa concert and admission was just $5. Watched some very pretty horses and immaculately dressed riders do their thing. I knew nothing about how the horses are judged, but asked a few questions of the person sitting next to me. Basically, active high-stepping horses with consistent gaits do well in the open classes, but in the classes with women or child riders, the horses are graded more heavily for "manners" like not jostling the rider too much, etc.

Fitness (general concept) is about being able to do lots of things without doubts about any aspects of moving around.

Two people whom I know out of state have lost substantial mobility recently, and that's a situation I want to avoid. Neither of them could do the things I did yesterday, much less actually dance or ride horses. Both are substantially overweight. One person's mobility loss is probably related to obesity, while I can't really say whether or not the other one's situation is or is not.

TheTransformator
10-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Give it HELL...and make it a walk in the park...good luck!

IslandGirl
10-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Sj7UBgVVew8&f

Is this what you were trying to post?

partsRheavy
10-14-2009, 11:49 PM
You go IslandGirl and thx Transformator!!!!! :yep:

partsRheavy
10-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Tuesday's w/o:

Work on Squat Form with Reference to ATG concept. Very light weight in Smith machine, but the Glute Ham Raise 'machine' has helped me to be able to squat all the way down.

Row w/Cambered Curl Bar - 50 lbs
55 lbs
Try 60 lbs
Back to 55

Work a little bit on BP form to stop bowing out my arms

Low Row - cables - 80 lbs

Diverging Seated Row Machine - 75 lbs

Wednesday's W/o.

Running Late and Just Did Shoulder and Arm Stuff so left notebook in car

Brief summary -

DB Inclines with the 25's - 3 sets

DB Hammers with the 20's - 2 sets of about 9

a few flyes with lt wt

Cable x-overs let's try 15 lbs instead of 10
2 sets of about 9
Felt good about these

partsRheavy
10-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Glute Ham Raise BW only

Bench - 75 lbs
Try 80 lbs
Back to 75 lbs
Back down to 65 lbs

Chin-up Assist (-110 lbs)

Back Extension Machine - 70 lbs

partsRheavy
10-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Legs today

Moved a bunch of boxes a couple hours before w/o. Beautiful fall weather and sunshine.

Leg Sled - 80 lbs/side

Seated Calf Raise (Hammer Strength) - 55 lbs/side

Seated Leg Curl mfg. by Strive - 55 lbs

caused hammies to burn! :-)

one set of baby-sized lunges - 15 lb DB
First time doing lunges.

a few leg extensions light wt

Dinner at Earth Fare - free-range chix breast, brn rice.

Tonight's snack is tuna from Earth Fare

partsRheavy
10-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Seated DB Press - 20's

DB Row - 30 lbs
13-13
L-R
Try 35 lbs yeah!
9-9
9-9

Seated Low Row - 80 lbs
Try 85 lbs
felt heavy

Some light leg presses

I wasn't all that much in a workout mood this evening but was happy with results on the DB Rows and the seated row.

Am enjoying the beautiful fall weather and trying to get caught up on lots of odds and ends.

GirlyMuscle
10-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Wow! How did I miss your journal??? Following along....

partsRheavy
10-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Hey GM -----

Thanks for visiting!!!!! I'm following you over at MAS and I think you will do awesome!! There's no substitute for years of hard work lifting!!

"Break a leg" on stage!! :doggy: :photo: :headbang:

GirlyMuscle
10-22-2009, 07:36 PM
ssshhhhhh...MAS is a secret. Glad you're there though. :)

partsRheavy
10-22-2009, 11:08 PM
This afternoon, 40 min walking at the Carl Sandburg property, which is covered in fall color right now.

http://www.nps.gov/CARL/index.htm

Mrs. Sandburg bred prize-winning goats, while Mr. Sandburg was the famous poet originally from the Midwest. Plenty of nice goats at the barn, but fortunately didn't see any :sheepshagger: going on!

[had to make an excuse to use that smiley!]

Take advantage of your public parks and facilities for cardio! Lot of nice people and some very friendly pooches! Of course, beautiful 70-degree weather doesn't hurt! :doggy:

Usually I don't w/o on successive days, but I drove right by the gym on my way home and decided to do a brief workout.

Few light leg presses to warm up

Bench - 75 lbs
not so hot - let's try something else

Smith Machine - 20lb Smith Bar - Upright Row then Press - 7.5/side
Put 10 lb/side

This isn't a bad exercise to work on skills to be be a jerk! (sort of like clean and jerk, just controlled range of movement).

P. S. Girly I'll keep it hush-hush. It's that site for the Mexican corn flour called "MASeca." ;-)

sexydoc
10-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi PRH!
Not sure how I missed on your journal.. just noticed it..

Good Going...
btw are you doing a full body split every other day ?

Oh, and what are ham glute raise machines? lol I should try to find those in my gym,...

have a great weekend
xxx

partsRheavy
10-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Split is approximately every other day but not set in stone. Today actually I stayed home and recovered (and did housework LOL).

A glute-ham raise machine is a contraption that looks like this. Your feet go between the two rollers and your quads are on the semicircular pad.

partsRheavy
10-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Few sets of leg presses to warm up - light weight

Bench - 75 lbs
Down to 70 lbs

Work on form with Smith squats and with BB and DB Rows
few sets here and there
(The gym where I w/o has trainers available for occasional questions)

DB Shoulder Press - 15 lbs

DB Hammers - 15 lbs

Standing Curls - 35 lbs
Down to 25 lbs

Have increased my calories in last 3 weeks. Trying to eat fairly clean. Eat at a natural foods supermarket that has a buffet. Chicken, usually fish, brown rice, salad etc.

My two vices though are dark chocolate and beer.

Checked BP at supermarket - 124/74. OK considering I'm 45 years old.

Waist 30" and weight 142 in clothes/sneakers.

sexydoc
10-26-2009, 11:00 PM
GOOD going PRH..
The vices get worse when I tend to eat more protein than fat,,hey but I can always fall back on diet coke, it always got my back..
Well probably not so much anymore that I am addicted to it, not sure how that happened. Cant be good lol

partsRheavy
10-27-2009, 12:43 AM
The funny thing is I never really liked soda (any kind) except for a brief period around 1996 when I enjoyed watery fountain cokes LOL. Lost the taste for that cr*p when I quit the job with the fountain soda machine.

I'm a water person except when it comes to beer.

Tonight I'm munching on almonds (good) and whole-grain baked chips by Revolution Foods - "Calif. school lunch approved" (yummy but so-so dietwise but better than potato chips).

I have enough vices as it is, and fortunately don't have really bad cookie or cake cravings. But then again, I've never dieted down to contest shape.

I have a 14-year-old pic from a backpacking vacation to Latin America where my bf got fairly low. I wasn't paying attention at the time (not a lifter then), but my activity level went way up and I ate a lot of grilled chicken plus had diarrhea once or twice down there. LOL. I just remember that my need for sleep went up, but I was having so much fun that it was hard to snooze enuf!

partsRheavy
10-28-2009, 11:11 PM
It was such a beautiful afternoon that I HAD to visit a local park. I took 27 lbs along in a backpack, and thoroughly enjoyed the walk. Slowed me down just enough to stop and look at the leaves, the ducks in the pond, and that rare clear fall light.

Back
=====

Rows with Cambered Curl Bar - 55 lbs

Try 60 lbs
12 but harder

DB Rows - 35 lbs
9-9
10-10
10-10

Seated Row - 85 lbs

Assisted Pull-Ups - (-90 lbs)
Pretty hard. Make it (-95 lbs)

Strive Low Back Extension Machine - 75 lbs
Try 80 lbs

Overall, I thought it was a good w/o. I just wish the weather would stay the way it was today. I'm not really into winter.

partsRheavy
10-31-2009, 09:58 PM
Bench - 75 lbs
12 (surprised I got 'em!)
chatted with someone for 5 minutes
Down to 65 lbs

(obviously the long rest helped a little "too" much) ;)

DB Bench - 20's
Try 25's

Preacher Curl - 35 lbs i.e. 5/side on cambered bar
Down to 30 i.e. 2.5/side

It was a good w/o. I took an extra rest day on Friday, which seemed to help.

Earth Fare had fresh tuna and chicken and spinach for dinner! And, I've been snackin' on crackers w/olive oil!

partsRheavy
11-02-2009, 09:31 PM
DL in Smith Machine - 110 lbs

Upright Row then Press in Smith Machine - 40 lbs

DB Row - 35 lbs
10-9
12-10
11-11

Low Row - 85 lbs

Assist Pull Ups (-95 lbs)

Two sets of standing rows with 20 lb DB's
(try to exhaust muscle)

I saw a guy doing a rowing type thing on the cable with the tricep rope. He stood up, leaned back, and pulled it toward him. So, I tried doing that with...
42.5 lbs

Try 50 lbs

A lot of people in the gym today. Maybe the time change brought everybody in from outside.

partsRheavy
11-03-2009, 10:11 PM
My upper back and shoulders were sore this morning!!

Had to go to the vicinity of the gym doing errands today, so I decided to do a small w/o. I won't be in the vicinity of the gym tomorrow, so that's my rest day.

Calf raises - 45/side

Preacher Curls - 30 lbs

Two sets of standing cable curls - light weight.

Tomorrow I get to catch up on things around the house, and stay out of traffic.

Wanna see a gory wreck that happened today less than a mile from my gym?

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20091103/NEWS01/91103064

Fortunately, I wasn't in the area at the time....

Let me know if you want to hear more crazy highway stories. I've got some!

partsRheavy
11-07-2009, 07:57 PM
A few DL's with 35 lb DB's to warm up

Overhead Press with Fixed-Weight Bar

36 lbs

42 lbs

36 lbs

Wide-Grip Overhead with Fixed-Weight Bar - 20 lbs
(you grip it wide, arms extended, and lift it overhead)

Behind-Neck Press - 26 lbs

Wide-Grip Overhead - 20 lbs

Behind-Neck Press - 26 lbs

Standing Curls with Fixed-Weight Bar
Logic behind this is that I can't yet do 8 with the standard 45-lb bar, and I want to work up to that

32 lbs

36 lbs

Try 42 lbs

Assignment: work with the 42 lbs next week or two and try to get the reps up.

"cardio:"

Some random walking around beautiful downtown Asheville NC and around a mall. There is a real pedestrian culture downtown nowadays. The downtown is still going strong despite the recession, especially when the weather is nice. Shops are rather expensive, but there is lots of art and food and street life.

Among the things that can be seen are multicolored (un-natural) hair, and a "nun" who rides a bicycle who has, erm, serious hormonal problems if 'she' is truly a nun!

Next post: Yard sale find - Consumer Culture that Saves the Back!

partsRheavy
11-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Plenty of commentors have noted that America is a "consumer culture." You can observe that by going to yard sales and Goodwill and observing/purchasing all the goodies that people have bought but have either worn or used only a few times or are brand new.

The yard sale habit is a bit dangerous in that it can lead to clutter, but there are occasionally amazing finds.

Today we had warm sunshine after several weekends of rain, so I figured the yardsales might be good this weekend.

At the first yardsale, I found a blue Under Armour sweatshirt with orange lettering, size small, in pretty new condition with no dirt around the cuffs or anywhere else. It gets washed and goes up on my clothesline tomorrow morning!

Second yardsale wasn't productive. Then I went to an art fair/craft market. Lots of cute things, but I held off buying.

Third yardsale ---- there it was sitting on a table beside the garage - a brand-new Everlast lifting belt, size medium! Still had the tags on it. The lady had bought it at TJMaxx a few years ago and never used it. I acquired it for $4.00!! Wondering if she had a son who had given up lifting, I asked the owner about it.

Turns out there was no son or other lifter involved. The lady said she bought the belt a couple of years ago, and "didn't know what she was thinking." She said, "I don't weightlift!"

I figured she had "shopped 'till she dropped" sometime back in 2005 or 2006, and since then the poor lifting belt had spent its time in the back corner of a closet, jealous of its well-worn peers who hang out at the gym.

Also purchased a small wooden nightstand-type thingy for $5.00.

Went to another yardsale where a nice wooden secretary and some miscellaneous pictures were still available at 11:30 am, but by that time, my car was full!! I didn't have a place for the secretary, anyway.

The belt got its tags clipped and enjoyed its first, belated visit to the gym, this afternoon! :yep:

And, my back is happy!!!!

partsRheavy
11-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I read a post by WillBrink on another forum that got me to thinking about training. I've been doing the 8-12 rep thing quite a lot, and I think it's time to change it up for the week and work on strength.

So, time for some 5 x 5. Five reps for the first four sets, max effort the last set. Relax and take longer than normal rest periods.

Warm up with a few leg presses - 2 plates/side.

Row with cambered curl bar - 70 lbs (25/side)

DB Rows - 40 lbs
5-5
5-5
5-5
5-5
6-6

Seated Row - 100 lbs

W/o didn't feel extremely hard. Not as much pump as usual. Properly tired a few hours afterward, however.

P.S. I wore my new belt!

partsRheavy
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Had a little hitch in my schedule yesterday, so didn't make it to the gym till today. However, I did 5 x 5 standing curls with the bar yesterday. (I have one at home)

Today was:

Bench - 85 lbs
Form wasn't perfect, especially regarding touching the chest.

DB Bench - 30 lbs

Chest Press Machine - Strive - 120 lbs

About 3 sets of flyes with the 15-lb DB's. Seated upright on the bench with the back up.

Enjoyed watching some other lifters. Sometimes size has little correlation with strength....:p

freebirdmac
11-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Sounds like you're doing good :) I like the 5x5 program. You can make nice size and strength gains. But beware, you'll need to eat and get good rest!

partsRheavy
11-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey freebirdmac -----

It's great to see you here!! Actually, what I'm doing is kinda crazy. It's from a post that WillBrink made. Unfortunately, he posted elsewhere, so I don't know if I should link here or not.

It's called "non-linear periodized training. It's

Week 1: sets of 12-15 reps

Week 2: 4-5 reps

Week 3: 8-10 reps

Week 4: Repeat week 1

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

The concept came from a study done with experienced lifters in the J Strength Cond Res. 2009 Jul;23(4):1321-6 by Monteiro et al. The lifters who did this had more strength gains than the ones who did a basic 8-10 rep program or a more common "linear periodized routine."

So, for this week I do normal 8-10 rep stuff. I just need to watch it that I don't go up into 11 or 12 reps. I need to look through my log book to get the weights correct.

I've been sleepin', nappin,' and eatin' LOL! Just had a nap 4-6 pm after doing some cleaning out in the garage/shop.

BTW, Saturday's w/o was abbreviated. Did:

15 min walk - minor cardio

Leg sled - 2 1/2 plates/side (45, 45, 25)

Overhead Press with Curl Bar - 45 lbs

Gym closed early so that's all I got in.

freebirdmac
11-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah, there are a lot of periodization programs like that. I did a modified HST program over the summer. I think pretty much any program will work, at least for awhile. And it's fun to change things up. I'm hoping to get back to a 5x5 program within a few months. It's a killer :D

partsRheavy
11-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Was rarin' to go this evening! I felt like the 5 x 5 stuff last week gave me quite a bit of energy. I look forward to when it rolls around again.

This week's assignment is 8-10 rep stuff, and today I did back.

Row with Cambered Curl Bar - 60 lbs

DB Rows - 35 lbs
8-8
9-9
9-9
8-8

Seated Low Row - 90 lbs

Diverging Seated Row - a machine mfg. by Strive - 90lbs
Cut to 85 lbs
There are cam settings on this machine that vary the intensity at the beginning, middle or end of the move. Kinda neat from a mechanical standpoint.

Finished up with some light rotator cuff work on the tower.

Went to my favorite post-w/o eating place and got some tilapia and chicken!!

freebirdmac, you're looking awesome!!!! You oughta start a journal, girl!! :popcorn:

freebirdmac
11-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks! At some point I may start a journal, I dunno. I've never been much of a journal writer. I'm close to 5 months into a year long lean bulk. Gotta feeling it'll turn into a 3 year bulk :eek:

partsRheavy
11-19-2009, 10:35 PM
You may change your mind when summer weather comes around LOL.

By your pic, you started quite lean, so you should be good for quite a while.

How are strength gains coming along?

Thanks! At some point I may start a journal, I dunno. I've never been much of a journal writer. I'm close to 5 months into a year long lean bulk. Gotta feeling it'll turn into a 3 year bulk :eek:

partsRheavy
11-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Legs today. Bench was busy but Smith machine was open.

Smith squats - 60 lbs/side

Leg Press - 90/side

Seated Leg Curl - 65 lbs

Seated Calf Raise - 55 lbs/side. Start wt. is 60, so 60 + 110 = 170 lbs. Still not much considering if I just stand on my tippy-toes that's 140 lbs LOL.

Two sets of 20-lb DB lunges. These are a lot more easy on the knees where there's a mat on top of the carpet haha.

ActionTan
11-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Some really interesting training PRH! Very technical lol. I wish I could have your enthusiasm for cardio....I hate it with an absolute passion! The only thing that gets be through is trashy mags that numb my brain :0)

juggernaut
11-20-2009, 07:17 AM
I was under the impression that wanted us to attaaaaaack tightbooty humongous breastisis.

freebirdmac
11-20-2009, 08:21 AM
You may change your mind when summer weather comes around LOL.

By your pic, you started quite lean, so you should be good for quite a while.

How are strength gains coming along?

Strength gains come in fits and starts :) I was on a good roll then had about 7 weeks of one thing after another (injury, illness, life stuff) that impacted, but didn't stop, my workouts. Back on a good roll now and hopefully for quite some time. This week I finally got my flat bb bench up to 105# and db flat press is ready for 45# Deads are up to 145#. I was doing 15# weighted pull ups until we added bent over rows before pull ups. Quads are a bit stalled out but we've been doing a 2-day split twice a week and doing hams in the first split, quads in the second. That will change next week. I need quads to go first again.

I'm following Oldsupe's lean bulk advice. So fat gains are very small. When stuff happens, like it did over those 7 long weeks, I just drop cals a bit to compensate and use the time to lose whatever fat I gained. Which has not been much. I'd like to end the year long bulk with a gain of 6 pounds of solid muscle. I think that's reasonable for my 3rd year of lifting and for my age/stats.

partsRheavy
11-20-2009, 07:27 PM
freebirdmac -----

Dang girl your bench is looking good!! Wooo-hoooo!!!! How many reps at 105#? Double? Triple? How often do you use a spotter? :yep:

I use a spotter pretty rarely, but I'll probably try to see what I can do with one sometime mid-December.

I'm heavy in the legs and glutes, so I'm a long way off from a pull-up. I'm not sure how much is thigh and leg muscle and how much is "pear-shape" estrogen-mediated fat deposition.

Do you have a glute-ham raise at your gym?

I'm lagging behind! :p

freebirdmac
11-21-2009, 08:06 AM
freebirdmac -----

Dang girl your bench is looking good!! Wooo-hoooo!!!! How many reps at 105#? Double? Triple? How often do you use a spotter? :yep:

I use a spotter pretty rarely, but I'll probably try to see what I can do with one sometime mid-December.

I'm heavy in the legs and glutes, so I'm a long way off from a pull-up. I'm not sure how much is thigh and leg muscle and how much is "pear-shape" estrogen-mediated fat deposition.

Do you have a glute-ham raise at your gym?

I'm lagging behind! :p

That was 8 reps at 105#. My wo partner had his hands on the bar, just in case, but he only helped a couple of pounds worth for the last couple of reps. If I didn't have a wo partner I'd be benching in the squat rack! We do pyramids so the progression went like this, bar x 12, 65 x 10, 85 x 12, 95 x 10, and 105 x 8.

No glute ham raise at my gym :( I tried using the lat pull down cable station to do them but was really uncoordinated :eek: Fortunately my glutes, hams, and glute-ham tie in are responding well to machine hack squats (down to the limits) and RDL's. I added cable kickbacks this week.

Yeah, lower body fat sucks. Especially when the upper body is so freaking lean. I can easily "pinch an inch" on my thighs. I can barely inch anything on my upper body. *sigh*

partsRheavy
11-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Bench - 80 lbs
DB Bench - 30 lbs
Down to 25
Back to 30 lbs

Chatting with someone for a couple minutes

Hammers - 20 lbs

Tricep Kickbacks - 20 lbs

Woodchoppers (one DB over the head) - 25 lbs

30 lbs DB was possibly hazardous to my mental faculties, so I stayed with the 25-lb one

Preacher Curl - 35 lbs

Good and sore for two days from previous leg w/o and this one....

partsRheavy
11-24-2009, 11:36 PM
This week and the next, I'll be doing 12-15 rep stuff, so we've got lighter weights...

Bench - 65 lbs
Try 70 lbs
Down to 65 lbs

Decline DB Press - 20 lbs

Incline DB Press - 20 lbs

DB Standing Curls (simultaneous) - 12.5 lbs

1 set of DB Hammers - 15 lbs

partsRheavy
11-24-2009, 11:38 PM
That's impressive!! It's cool you've found a w/o partner! I've only seen one or two women lifting seriously in my area.

That was 8 reps at 105#. My wo partner had his hands on the bar, just in case, but he only helped a couple of pounds worth for the last couple of reps. If I didn't have a wo partner I'd be benching in the squat rack! We do pyramids so the progression went like this, bar x 12, 65 x 10, 85 x 12, 95 x 10, and 105 x 8.

No glute ham raise at my gym :( I tried using the lat pull down cable station to do them but was really uncoordinated :eek: Fortunately my glutes, hams, and glute-ham tie in are responding well to machine hack squats (down to the limits) and RDL's. I added cable kickbacks this week.

Yeah, lower body fat sucks. Especially when the upper body is so freaking lean. I can easily "pinch an inch" on my thighs. I can barely inch anything on my upper body. *sigh*

freebirdmac
11-25-2009, 06:31 PM
That's impressive!! It's cool you've found a w/o partner! I've only seen one or two women lifting seriously in my area.

My wo partner was my trainer! After about 9 months it kind of evolved to where we were working out together. It's great! He competed in the past, is anal about form, and is pretty much an exercise encyclopedia. We're both interested in size over strength. We do however have to negotiate workouts. I read all of this stuff and want to try new things, he doesn't buy some of it due to knowing how his own body responds, so we compromise.

Higher reps and lower weights are great for deloading and giving everything a rest from the heavy weights. Plus you're growing other muscle fibers. I need to do that more often.

partsRheavy
11-25-2009, 07:37 PM
That's great!! It's great that you guys worked out (no pun intended!) a situation where you trust each other for reliability and willingness to stick to the program! I guess the only downside would be that his weights are probably a lot higher, so there's a lot of switching around during sets. It's a bit of a w/o fetching several 45's ha ha! :p

For me, training is beyond my range of affordability. However, the employees at my current gym are allowed to spot if necessary. Wasn't allowed at my old gym.

Today: 30 min of walking.

My wo partner was my trainer! After about 9 months it kind of evolved to where we were working out together. It's great! He competed in the past, is anal about form, and is pretty much an exercise encyclopedia. We're both interested in size over strength. We do however have to negotiate workouts. I read all of this stuff and want to try new things, he doesn't buy some of it due to knowing how his own body responds, so we compromise.

Higher reps and lower weights are great for deloading and giving everything a rest from the heavy weights. Plus you're growing other muscle fibers. I need to do that more often.

ActionTan
11-30-2009, 08:13 AM
:spy: Where have you disapeared to???? I'm hoping you've not got lost on your walk!!!!:p

partsRheavy
11-30-2009, 11:15 PM
The PartsMeister is back!! After a few days of nothing but cardio, I was antsy this afternoon!

Few light leg presses to warm up

Bench - 65 lbs
Do 70 lbs

Glute Ham Raise
The last 2 sets, I held 10 lbs, and then 25 ;)

Flat DB Press(twist) - 20's
Try the 25's

Chest Press Machine mfg'd by Strive

Standing Curls - 30 lbs

Sun - 30 min walking
Sat - 60 min walking
Fri - 30 min walking
T'giving - not enuff of anything but turkey!!

partsRheavy
12-03-2009, 12:28 AM
What an annoying evening!! I went into my town's Staples office store for a very minor errand. After about three minutes, I realized I had locked my keys in the car! About an hour and $47 later (is that the key to the Universe, $47?) I was on my way to the gym.

Doing the 12-15 rep stuff this week.

DL in Smith machine - 35/side and 90 total
Make it 40/side and 100 total (bar is rated at 20 lbs)
Some clueless girl took a nickel off one side while I had my back turned chatting with an employee. Thank goodness he saw that and told her it was in use. She was using the legpress, which is next to the Smith. I told her to be careful about making sure that weights left on bars are actually abandoned, because if it happened on a bench or the like and someone came back from the water fountain and didn't check their weights, they could have a wreck and get hurt with the unbalanced weights. Better for her to learn the lesson from me, semi-nicely, than from a guy doing a big set on the bench or something!!

Standing Row with Curl Bar - 50 lbs

DB Row - 25 lbs
16-16
16-16
15-14

Low Row - 80 lbs

Gym about to close so I cut off 1 set of Low Rows.

Got home and wrote out my Christmas cards to those relatives etc. whom I contact 1x/y. I actually send out a few paper Christmas cards.

Least interesting address/contact info: educational psychologist in Kansas City. Most interesting address/contact: works for a telescope company. This person literally has stars in their eyes!!! In between/normal: Mayor of Podunk, Ohio; MD in rural Texas; Professor in NY State.

Tomorrow's to-do: Post office to mail Xmas cards. Other stuff, also.

Next week the 5 rep stuff comes back around!!

partsRheavy
12-03-2009, 01:42 AM
oops - no title

partsRheavy
12-03-2009, 01:43 AM
So, Baldiewonkanobi over in Masters' discussed dreams today. I gotta post my crazy dream from this morning.

He dreamed about the NPC ca 2019. Wonder what will be going on in 10 years??

I dreamed about the NPC last night, too, except that my version of the NPC was full of ag science and ag chem people!!

First of all, let me mention that many years ago in college, I studied some topics relating to agricultural pest management. I was a student at the University of California. I've been reading about the UC's financial problems lately and thinking about my old colleagues...many of whom still work there. A few are passed away, and a few have received promotions....

Back in university, I studied agricultural subjects....

I studied the whole range of approaches, mostly with insects, ranging from natural to not-natural.

Natural/organic: Crop rotation, intercropping, milpa system, organic nutrient management, biological control (ladybugs, vedalia beetles, lacewings, rearing parasitoids, insect diseases like Beauveria)

Integrated Pest Management: Use organic and natural pest controls until pests go above economic threshold, then apply chemicals selectively.

Insecticide toxicology/physiology: How to mess with insects so they either die immediately, or fail to develop to the adult stage.

I should also mention that right now, I eat a lot of free-range type of meats/eggs since there are several venues in my area that sell them for reasonable prices. Sure, the high-priced stuff is around, but I know where to get grass-fed beef for $3.49/lb. :)

So .... what did I dream about?

I was at an NPC show in the audience. Woo-hoo!!!!

I knew that this was the organization that permits chemical usage, and I knew it wasn't an organic affair.

For some reason, they moved the show from a nice auditorium to a large dining hall. The first people in the show were a bunch of plant scientists demonstrating herbicides!! They were guys in white coats with little plots of plants showing their little experiments! (Note that I ~~didn't~~ study herbicides in college - it was mostly insect-related).

The bodybuilders were scheduled for later!!

I had taken my shirt off (I don't know why!) and I hurried to put on my blue denim shirt. A couple of ppl noticed my undieted, naked chest!! How embarrassing!!

The bodybuilders who were scheduled to demonstrate enhanced feed efficiency techniques were going to show up on stage later! (History: back in the 50s the agricultural scientists were all about juicin' up the livestock to utilize the feed more efficiently!! Solve world hunger!! LOL!!) :p

Then, I woke up! I was sooooo relaxed!

If I have a vivid dream, it usually comes in the morning during the 7th or 8th hour of sleep. They are more common on non-w/o nights but usually the next day after a w/o.

When I first started lifting, I had a lot of dreams!!

Baldie says they're good for growth hormone!! I say they're crazy and fun, but too many stories about them might land one in the loony bin!! :p

partsRheavy
12-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Well, the first snow of the season is supposed to arrive early tomorrow morning, so I did everything today. I sent out my Christmas cards (!!) and went to the mall to try to find something with Betty Boop for a good friend of mine who has been recovering from an illness. Didn't find anything CUTE, so I guess I need to order online.

Boop boop a doop doop!!!!

I plan an intense decluttering session for tomorrow as the lawn gets covered and the roadways get messed up!!

12-15 rep stuff

Calf Raise 45/side mfg. by Hammer Strength

Wood Choppers - 30 lb DB

Seated Leg Curl mfg by Strive - 60 lbs

Preacher Curl - 35 lbs

Tired...

Next week, I go back to the 4-5 rep heavy stuff!

partsRheavy
12-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Two posts got lost here earlier today. A lot of posts throughout the whole site got lost - there's a bunch of weird stuff going on.

I'll try to re-do.

ActionTan asked about my w/o split and asked what woodchoppers are.

In brief: No well-defined split but I usually work back early in the week. I work out what isn't sore. I usually do light leg presses to "warm up" before w/o. I work upper body more than lower because lower body is heavier.

Woodchoppers are where you lift a DB with both hands overhead. (careful not to hit head)

More details later, hopefully.

ActionTan
12-06-2009, 12:47 PM
PRH - I thought I was going mad! Well a bit madder than normal! Just been in my journal and could have sworn I'd replied to you bu it wasn't there lol!

freebirdmac
12-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Just letting you know that I started a bulking journal in the Masters forum. I figured it wasn't fair for me to harass the others in there and not have one :)

partsRheavy
12-08-2009, 11:54 PM
This week is a 4-5 rep week.

DB Row - 40 lbs
6 (rt)
Let's go up to 45 lb
5-4
4-4
4-4
Back down to 40 lbs
6-6

Row with curl bar - 75 lbs

For some reason, I decided I wanted to bench a little. This wasn't really a full bench set. It was more an attempt to hit a PR and make some use out of those 25 lb plates.

a few warm up sets

85 lbs

90 lbs
5 (last rep was so-so) - YEAH! Previous PR was 3

95 lbs
1 with a so-so 2nd rep - YEAH!

No spotter. (I did ask someone to watch from a distance for safety).

P.S. Freebirdmac - I know you're reading this and laughing at this scrawny PR! Aaargh!! :p

Saw a guy doing a neat little trick on bench. He had his legs up in the air at about a 45-degree angle. Idea was to hit the core a little bit at same time as pecs. He wasn't benching heavy, but doing more of a circuit-training thing.

partsRheavy
12-09-2009, 12:24 AM
It's pouring down rain today, but that doesn't mean that things can't be interesting.

Talked on the phone with a very good friend whom I've known at least 10 years. His wife is having some major health problems. At the same time, they have a daughter who has turned driving age within the past year or so.

Back to 1981....

Well, pretty much everyone in my generation got their license instantly at 16 (learner's permit at 15 1/2) and anyone who grew up in the country already knew how to drive at 13 or 14. Every teen wanted the keys! Gas cost a dollar a gallon, or maybe 89 cents a gallon.

My teenage years were a little awkward because our family owned a stick shift car and the driver training car was an automatic. My mother was NOT a driver (nervous), and my father was seriously ill at the time I was 16. So, they couldn't help me learn to shift with the clutch LOL. [Now, I daresay I'm pretty good at it. I like a nice quick 5-speed manual!!]

My mother and father both loved to ride bicycles, and my dad learned he was ill when he started having trouble pedaling up the 2-block-long hill to our house. My mother was from an older generation and had lived in Chicago where the El was a good public transit system.

So, although I knew how to drive a little bit in high school, I never got my license until I was in my Sr. year in college. When I was in college, I walked and rode the bus.

I always felt that I was a little strange and that my family was a little strange in the American automotive culture. It's hard being weird when you're a teenager!!

Fast forward to 2009....

Well, my friend, who has driven since he was a teenager and has driven long commutes in a series of very trusty Subarus for many years, told me that his teenage daughter doesn't like driving!?!? I was a little surprised at the concept of a teenager not wanting to drive, but I opened up about this part of my family history.

Let me say that until a year or two ago when gas hit $4 a gallon, it has been hard to discuss this, because the assumption always was that everybody likes to drive, and it's the only way to go. "Automobility" as the old catch phrase went.

Remember that song "Nobody Walks in LA"? The irony is that LA has some of the most perfect weather for riding bikes and walking....but it was never engineered for anything other than cars.

Today, I had one of the most understanding conversations about a less-car dependent lifestyle than I've had for many years.

I've read on the forums about two and perhaps three BB'rs who don't usually drive. All of them are very very good.

I'm fascinated by the concept of what might happen if we were to become a less car-dependent society.

freebirdmac
12-09-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm not laughing at your numbers. They're not far from mine! Plus having a spotter every workout makes a huge mental difference. Any way you can drag a bench to the squat rack and set the rails as a safety? That'll give you mental confidence.

Funny about the driving. My daughter will be 18 in Feb and still doesn't even have a leaners. She just isn't interested. Walking, riding bikes, and public transportation isn't viable here so mom and grandma taxi her to work and school (community college). It drives me insane!!! On my 16th b-day all I wanted was to go to the DMV! And I did!

partsRheavy
12-09-2009, 11:14 PM
OMG someone not wanting a license or learners' permit at 17 3/4 y.o. in an area w/o bike lanes/sidewalks/buses??!!

I think there's something going on w/ young ppl and [cars\NOT]. LOL.

I think they notice all the metabolic syndrome and obesity and type 2 diabetes in their elders and want to do everything to avoid that happening.

That or it's the climate change thing LOL....

It's a shame that municipalities and counties have been so slow with building greenways.

Unfortunately, my current gym only has a Smith and no squat rack. But it's a great idea!!

partsRheavy
12-11-2009, 02:18 AM
So today is the first really cold day of the season and there's NO WAY I will go walk in the park, even though there are two cars parked there and I see a brave guy walking on the trail!

So, after getting a haircut and visiting the grocery store and the recycle area, I did:

Bench - 90 lbs
Down to 85 lbs
Form not perfect, but trying to work on CNS this week

Seated Calf Raises - mfg'd by Hammer Strength 75/side
Try 75/side; wt. of eqpt. is 60 lbs so (75 x 2) + 60 = 210 lbs total

Shrugs in Smith Machine. Never done these before. Few trials, then 45/side

Strive Chest Press - 130 lbs
Why can I do so much on the machine when I can barely bench 90-95?? LOL

25 minutes cardio expresso bike.

Someone already is messing up the eqpt. at this nearly-new gym. :cloud: There aren't even that many clients there, and there are a lot of newbies who aren't exactly heavy lifters. Several times I've watched GUYS at the preacher curl bench put 5's on the cambered bar and I'm tempted to ask if I can work in with them, but out of politeness I don't. :p

1) The threads are stripped off the bolt that ya use to set the Glute-Ham Raise correctly. :chainsaw: Some ^&%$$#@ lazy idiot pushed it all the way back to where it's only useful for someone 6'4" or so, and neither I, one of the trainers, nor a MALE gym regular were able to set it back correctly for a short person. (The trainers aren't as strong as most of the trainers on this board. They will just have to order a new part i.e. a bolt with proper threading, and hopefully ppl will be more gentle with it. :cloud:

2) Some awkward lunk stumbled over the power plug for one of the Expresso bikes. Despite two bent prongs, including the ground prong, it has been successfully re-initiated to operation and is connected to Da Good Nuke Juice!!! :p (I rode the other bike, which remained operational in an uninterrupted fashion).

C'mon people!! Lift heavy and don't step on power plugs!!!!

I will say there are 5 or 6 regulars who ARE good lifters and actually know what they're doing. One loves Nike shirts, one works at a Mexican restaurant, and the others are pretty tall but work really hard! :-)

The haircut is a laugh riot!! I am certified LICE-FREE without POISONOUS INSECTICIDES!! :p It also takes maybe 5 minutes to dry and is TANGLE-PROOF!

freebirdmac
12-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Benching 90 pounds! :D

partsRheavy
12-12-2009, 10:07 PM
If I'm not snowed in tomorrow, I'll swing by the gym on Sun. Got there too late today to do much more than a few leg presses, preacher curls, and DB rows.

partsRheavy
12-13-2009, 07:36 PM
So, the weather warmed up today and there really wasn't any sleet, snow, or freezing rain. :)

Time to go see what's happening at the gym on Sunday:

Bench - 85 lbs
Try 90 lbs

Down to 80 lbs

The trick is to think about "feathers." I thought about mailing Christmas gifts like feather pillows and a down jacket! :D

Incline DB Press - 30's

Seated Overhead Press - 20's
Also did a set standing but I felt I was arching my back too much.

Strive Shoulder Press - 45 lbs

Lots of winter visitors etc. in the gym. Some of the guys I saw need to spend more time practicing their lifting, because they were, well, let's say, benching considerably less than 135 lbs. Most of the gals were in a yoga class or were on treadmills.

partsRheavy
12-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Ran around doing a few Christmas-related things and stopped by the gym briefly.

Tried the leg press with 3 plates/side and actually got 4 sets of 7-8 reps! Depth not super-deep, but still I was happy with 'em!

Calf raise - 70/side

Four sets on the Strive back extension machine and a set of ab crunches on the crunch machine.

freebirdmac
12-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Good job on the leg press! Keep working on the depth. It's easy to get caught up in the numbers and ignore the declining rom. Before too long 3 plates will seem easy :)

partsRheavy
12-15-2009, 09:34 PM
So today I have some DOMS in the butt and thighs LOL.

Walked and did some stairs for 30 min.

Mailed some packages and the real Christmas stuff goes out in the 2-3 day flat rate box tomorrow Woo-Hoo!!

partsRheavy
12-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Christmas mailing is all done now!! Yeah!!! And, that's most of my holiday running-around!

I did a whole lot of other miscellaneous running-around today because a big ol' snowstorm is predicted for tomorrow!

Fairly quick w/o at gym:

Bench - 90 lbs

Back down to 65 lbs

Few reps at 75 lbs

Standing Curls - 40 lbs

A few sets on the back extension machine, plus a little bit on the thigh machine.

Next w/o will probably be a limited thing from home, because 4-5 inches of snow are predicted!

partsRheavy
12-18-2009, 10:05 AM
It's heeeeere!!!!!! Sh*tstor....er....I mean snowstorm!!!:p

The non-4WD car is parked at the bottom of a hill, in a regularly-plowed location.

K-1 is in the tank, with a day or 2's worth in reserve.

A great big pot of chili is on the menu for this evening!!!

You guys in the Northeast watch out it's coming your way!!!!! Nor'easter predicted!!!! (go buy bread, milk and beer LOL)
:yep:

partsRheavy
12-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Today's w/o:

Leg Press - 2 plates/side
3 plates/side

DB Bench - 30 lbs
3 sets of approx. 8 reps

Flat Bench - 75 lbs
3 sets of approx. 7-8 reps

Glute-Ham Raise
3 sets x 12-15

Standing Curls - 35 lbs
3 sets x 8-9

Cardio (1 hour later)
uphill walking carrying groceries - approx. 30 min.

=====

The last few days weren't very productive. Did 30 minutes of walking Sun. and Mon. but it was slow walking.

Why so slow?

Because of.....

THE SNOW

=====

THE SNOW has been a foot deep!!

The Partsmeister has finally plowed herself out of the biggest snowstorm this area has seen since 1993!! This wasn't just snow.

This was THE SNOW.

Imagine, instead of those lovely warm movies featuring tinsel, ornaments, Baby Jesus in the manger, Virginia and Santa Claus, as if .....

The following Christmas movie were produced:

A campy fake horror production that features the week before Christmas, where the effect is more humorous than terrifying, but there are some scary moments.

Scene 1:

Stranded cars, huge traffic backups on the freeways around town, and jackknifed tractor-trailers. Amazingly, there were few injuries and only 1 death in a distant county. The freaking National Guard and some local fire departments were taking people out of stranded vehicles to their homes or to motels and hotels.

Scene 2:

Pine trees uprooted all over town. Some of those pine trees fell onto roofs. These are longleaf pines, not the good spruce or fir trees that actually grow well in the snow. Longleaf pines have shallow roots that are adapted to the red clay of the Southern Piedmont. The problem is, they don't really belong in the mountains. But, they're here now that most of the native forests were cut down by Dan'l Boone and his cohorts in the 1800s. There are spruce and fir trees at higher elevations.

Scene 3: Power outages. Some 30,000 lost power. Lots use electric heat....lots of people spent the night under blankets.

Scene 4:

Christmas shoppers who have arms full of..... (not packages...those are scattered on the parking lot's SNOW and ice)

Broken bones! You see, THE SNOW is EVERYWHERE.

It took a full two days to plow down the major roads and highways. The third day was spent plowing residential roads.

That didn't include parking lots. THE SNOW becomes ice after it melts in the sun and refreezes overnight.

Christmas shoppers + ice in parking lots = broken bones. The local hospital told the paper their ER was swamped with at least 100 cases of broken limbs on Sunday and Monday.

I think a good producer and some third-rate actors could make a pretty good low budget horror-humor movie out of all that!

Maybe Dave and John have a new use for their new studio!! :)

=====

I make nowhere near enough money to pay for wrecking my car or breaking my bone, or even minor things like a traffic ticket or unplanned motel bill. Thus, I stayed home for a full three days while THE SNOW was sort-of brought under control.

There's still plenty out there. It's night, and it's becoming ice. Have you done your core balance stuff lately? :p

THE SNOW might come to your town next.

Just wait for a low pressure zone to come off the Gulf, which is likely now with El Nino. Rainy summer, snowy winter....

freebirdmac
12-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Hehe. We got a dusting. And rain. The price of living so close to the ocean in the mid-Atlantic. Glad you're burrowing out!

partsRheavy
12-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Right now, I want to live where you live!

Or, better yet, the tropics!

Hehe. We got a dusting. And rain. The price of living so close to the ocean in the mid-Atlantic. Glad you're burrowing out!

partsRheavy
12-23-2009, 01:47 AM
I doubt this is a problem for most of the readers here. However, I am posting it to remind myself to work legs in case THE SNOW comes back for a return visit, along with its accomplice "ice."

CRASHEVILLE — The snow of the worst winter storm in more than decade may be melting away, but not before lingering black ice sent hundreds to the emergency rooms with injuries from falls and accidents.

Frigid temperatures in the 20s overnight refroze whatever snow had thawed on roads, sidewalks and parking lots, turning seemingly clear asphalt into a hazardous glaze. More black ice could reappear early today, the National Weather Service warned.

Mission Hospital emergency room staff reported more than 100 cases related to falls Monday and even more Tuesday as patients arrived with injuries, said Merrell Gregory, a hospital spokeswoman.

“It's been very steady and busy. We've had a large number who have slipped and fallen on ice. They're coming in with back pain and fractures and injuries to ankles, elbows and knees,” Gregory said.

ER staff had only piece of advice to those who would venture out on the icy surfaces, Gregory said. “Please stay home. There's no safe way to walk on black ice.” ......

For those who wanted some technical advantage traveling by foot on icy surfaces, Black Dome Mountaineering Sports was selling instep crampons, said owner Trent Thomas. “They're like chains for your shoes, and usually they gather some dust on the shelves, but sell well in a storm.”

Using ski poles to stabilize yourself can also help, Thomas said.

They didn't mention any "body breaking" competitions, per se, but it looks like "body breaking" is currently a popular sport.

[Apologies to anyone reading this who has an injury]

musclemilf
12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
parts - you crack me up :p I love reading your posts.

freebirdmac
12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Funny, your post this morning, plus some other article I read on line, led me to these http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1875697&cp=2367438.2367827.2623689.2632306

They have some in the store and I am going to pick up a couple. My 74 year old mom gets a pair as a gift! So many times she's talked about walking out to get her paper, or taking the trash to the curb, or just walking to her car and almost slipping in the winter.

I called the store to see if they even had any. Around here I wouldn't have been surprised if they said no. But they did! The guy said he's never had anyone ask about them. I said I bet people don't know about them! I didn't.

partsRheavy
12-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Freebird ---- what a sweet gift for mom!!!!! Let us know what she says when she unwraps the Yaktrax!! You're a true Santa's elf!!!!!!:hmn:

freebirdmac
12-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Well I don't know about sweet, but if they save her from falling they're well worth it!

I picked up 3. I'm almost betting my mom will say so-and-so really should have these before she falls. Then I can go out to the car and get them for her to give away. I'm keeping one for myself and my daughter to have around.

partsRheavy
12-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Freebird -----

Care, consideration, and taking care of Mom are all sweet and are right in line with the meaning of the Season. You're a champ!!!:hugme:

partsRheavy
12-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Wednesday w/o

The gym closes at 2 pm tomorrow, which is sort of early for me. It was really quiet in there this evening.

Had fun shootin' the breeze with one of the employees @ the gym. He's more of a bicyclist/swimmer than lifter. I showed him T-Bar Rows. Surprised he hadn't seen these. There's only one Oly bar in this gym, and I set my jacket in the corner so the end of the bar wouldn't scrape the wall. I was amazed that he found my weight a little heavy, because he's a young guy who is active.

T-Bar Rows - 50 lbs (2 x 25 lb plates for better ROM)

Rows w/ Curl Bar - 55 lbs
Change to 60lbs

Try some rows with regular Oly bar - 60 lbs

Low Row at Cable Machines - 75 lbs
Change to 80 lbs

Glute Ham Raise - no weight - 2 sets x ~15

Overhead Press - 45 lbs

(should have added a little here, but was sort of messing around yakking)

======

Next week, I'll be switching over to the 12-15 rep stuff

======

THE SNOW :p

THE SNOW is now hanging out in yards and as big dirty piles at the edges of roads and parking lots.

The body-breaking events of the last few days are largely finished, as most sidewalks have ~finally~ been salted and shoveled.

I bought a few gallons of kerosene tonight. There was a sign about "Long Lines --- Please Prepay". Apparently, the demand for kerosene had spiked over the past week. I have no idea why. :) Fortunately, the price was the same.

Christmas Eve should have OK weather, but Christmas Eve night may bring rain, ice or (less likely) the Return of THE SNOW. They don't know....:p

partsRheavy
12-29-2009, 11:15 PM
This week is 12-15 reps

Bench - 70 lbs

DB Bench - 25's

Tricep Rope - 30 lbs

Assisted chin-ups

Couple sets of Glute Ham Raise

============

Father and his 2 sons each about 15 years old and a little overweight were in the gym today. The kids were obviously sort of couch potatoes even though they weren't extremely overweight.

Father gets on bench, warms up with 45 lbs, then does a few reps with 135. (one set)

Kid gets on bench after having warmed up w/45 and tries to do the 135. Ain't gonna happen. Bar sprawls across his chest and Dad pulls it off of him.

The only trainer in the gym at the moment is a young girl who isn't a hearty lifter. The only other people in the gym are on the treadmills or machines - there aren't any regular lifters there at the moment.

Normally, I really avoid telling ppl what to do, because I think it's rude. However, I felt like I had to try to help these ppl out before someone got injured. I told them they need to warm up more, and to aim for 8-12 reps.

I feel sorry for some kids today. They grow up around too many computer games and electronic stuff. They're not learning physical common sense stuff like walking to school or the store or trying to find the correct weight with which to start lifting.

partsRheavy
12-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Deadlift - 95 lbs

Try 105 lbs

Rows w/Cambered Curl Bar - 50 lbs
Try 55 lbs

DB Rows - 30 lbs
14-13
13-12
13-12

Low Row - 80 lbs

Preacher Curl - 30 lbs

Bad weather coming in for NYE, so will be pretty quiet around here. The weatherman keeps switching between snow, sleet, rain. C'mon, decide!!:p

partsRheavy
01-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Happy New Year's!!!!

I have 2009's deadlifts in my lower lats!!!! :)

partsRheavy
01-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Walked 10 km = 6.2 miles today. It took 2 h 15 min and was chilly but enjoyable. Was entertained by a few friendly dogs along the way.

partsRheavy
01-02-2010, 07:43 PM
1 h of walking split up as follows:

am - 15 min @ 15 F - uphill
pm - 30 min @ 20 F - mostly flat
pm - 15 min @ 15F - downhill/uphill

During the 30 min walk I cruised through a small college close to where I live and a few residential streets. Very few people outside. One lady walked out of her house to get her mail. College kids not back yet. Saw people leaving the college gym after a class.

partsRheavy
01-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Today was another walk-in-the-cold-weather day. 45 min @ 20 F.

Saw a neato aggregation of Canada geese. at the park. Those guys really bulk up during the fall getting ready for this kind of weather.

Also attached a couple of progress pics. No, I can't pose for scheiß!!

partsRheavy
01-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Tuesday w/o

Few sets of light leg presses to warm up

Bench - 75 lbs

Standing Curls - 40 lbs

"Rickshaw" - like machine - 70 lbs/side

15 min walking @ 18 F

Very long spell of really cold weather. Neighbor's pipes are out, library's water main is broken, and so are mine - all are unconnected. We all dripped the faucets....didn't do much good after such a long period of cold weather. Therefore, some stress, so maybe not the best w/o ever.

I notice that I sleep more after going out in the cold weather.

musclemilf
01-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Nice pics!!! I love your tagline dedication to Sir Issac Newton :D

partsRheavy
01-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks!!

We would be nowhere without Sir Isaac's conclusions about mass and gravity!! ;)

It's so cold right now that this is the only kind of "Fox" on the run around here!! :p

freebirdmac
01-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Yeah, it's freezing around here too. We're seeing ice along the edges of the rivers and the bay. You can keep your outside walks!

Nice muscle in your picts. Got any earlier picts for comparison? I can't pose for shit either. But the picts get the idea across.

partsRheavy
01-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Today was 55 min walking @ 30 degrees F. At least it was sunny, and I got some kitty luv along the way!! :-)

Thanks freebird for the compliment!! I have an earlier pic or two, but light and pose were different. I am 145 lbs now and maybe 137 in this pic from March '09.

freebirdmac
01-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Looks like you've gained in your arms and back. Congrats!

partsRheavy
01-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks freebird for the compliment!! I don't see it, but lifts have gone up some.

Yesterday, I was down a bit from, um...eating the wrong meatballs or maybe chicken. Ironically, this was at my favorite "healthy" buffet. I think they had sat out a little too long.

This afternoon, the power went out for a couple of hours, part of which I was out of the house, doing this:

Bench - 80 lbs
Down to 75 lbs
Down to 65 to keep reps up

Bent-Over Rows - 50 lbs

Low Row - 80 lbs

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Shoulder Press - 25 lbs/side
Change to 27.5/side

Fortunately, the power was on :yep: when I got back home. Still no water - things have hardly gone above freezing even during the daytime since the beginning of the year. Pipes in the rural South are not insulated nearly as well as they are in the North and Midwest.

partsRheavy
01-10-2010, 05:57 PM
I may be away from the computer for a few days. My computer has developed a virus problem that I'm having trouble removing even with Housecall and BitDefender.

I don't think I can access this site at the library (it's probably filtered).

So, if I suddenly disappear, rest assured that it is my computer (rather than me) that is out of commission (along with my and several of my neighbors' plumbing....).

partsRheavy
01-11-2010, 10:14 PM
This week, I'm doing lower-rep stuff.

Warm up with a few leg presses - 2 plates/side.

Bench - 85 lbs
Try 90 lbs
Back to 85

Incline - Bench is a little awkward so I went lower with the weights
65 lbs
Try 70

DB Bench with sl. incline - 30's

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Shoulder - 35/side

Hammer Strength Seated Dip - 50/side
Try 55/side

Finish up with some hack squats - not extremely deep. But, I was able to put 3 plates + 25/side!!! 3 x 8 or 9. I have been doing quite a bit of uphill walking (often in a bit of snow) and I think this is helping out the legs! My legs are proportionately bigger than upper body, so I usually do them as warm-up/cool-down. The reason they're bigger, relatively speaking, is that I rode a bike a lot as a teenager.

freebirdmac
01-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Deep hack squats kick my ass. I'm lucky to have 80# on the damn machine. I really lack strength getting out of the hole :(

Glad you're back online!

freebirdmac
01-19-2010, 08:20 PM
*chirp chirp*

partsRheavy
01-22-2010, 05:29 PM
My computer indeed has a virus problem that is difficult to repair. Aaaaargh!! So, I will be posting quite infrequently for a while. I am accessing a computer in a library, which is not an ideal situation.

Last week, did 2 h walking on each of 3 days, and 1.5 h bicycle ride.

Also a terrific w/o, but I left the notes at home.

partsRheavy
01-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Freebird -

You ever tried box squats with relatively light weight as practice for "getting out of the hole" on the hack squats? :)

Forgot to mention 40 min walk today. To my relief, the weather is warmer at the moment! It's called a January thaw....

Just wait for February though....guess what will be baaaaaaaaaaaaack?!?!?!?

The SNOW!! (Break out the jolly Christmas music once again....):p

partsRheavy
02-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm just checking in briefly at a library computer.

Took the week off in order to get some projects around the house finished during the last snowstorm. Also replaced a couple of tires on my car.

Hope to have a much more active week next week, especially considering that my household projects should be mostly completed by Monday. :)

Guess what is starting outside??

The SNOW....iteration no. 5 or is it 6??:p

freebirdmac
02-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Rain? That's what we're going to get. Nothing like cold rain.

partsRheavy
02-04-2010, 07:22 PM
I have about 2,500 feet of elevation on you. We get snow here.

Just remember....it all flows downhill from here!! :p

When I lift at home, I always am very careful that I don't drop the weights on y'all's heads down there in the lowlands. I set them down as gently as I can....

There is a saying here...."altitude affects attitude." :p :p :p

partsRheavy
03-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I have some workouts in my logbook that I should put here, but today I'm tied up with applying for a job, so it will be a couple more days.

However, I'm doing well and have had some good days in the gym lately. :)

partsRheavy
03-11-2010, 03:25 PM
I've missed logging some workouts, but I'll post some recent ones:

February 27th

Incline Bench - 75 lbs

Flat DB Bench - 30's
Down to 25's

DB Hammers - 15 lbs

Upright Rows - 50 lbs

Try 60 lbs

March 1st

Bench - 85 lbs

Preacher - 45 lbs with cambered bar

Leg Curl - 50 lbs

Leg Extension - 60 ;bs

partsRheavy
03-11-2010, 03:27 PM
March 3

Upright Rows - 50 lbs
Try 60 lbs

Low Row - 90lbs
Try 97.5 lbs

Tricep Pulldown - 40 lbs

Had to go home - started blizzarding, hoperfully for the last time this winter....

partsRheavy
03-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Sat in library taking a test for the Census. OK, so I won't count the dogs and the cats....

Went to gym.

Bench - 85 lbs
Try 90

DB Hammers - 15 lbs

Tricep Rope Pulldown - 110 lbs

partsRheavy
03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Sunday, March 7th

Push/pull w/o

I've been sore from this w/o for 3 days! Some guy left a bar on the ground that was perfectly set up for deadlifts....

Deadlifts - 95 lbs
105 lbs
Try 115 lbs
12 (oof!)

Bench - 85 lbs
90 lbs

Low Row - 90lbs
105 lbs
11 (argued with the weight LOL!)

A few pushups

partsRheavy
03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Monday March 8th

Arms and Abs

Just a small w/o with preacher curls and tricep rope tugging

Tuesday March 9th

45 min walking

Weds March 10th

45 min yardio - started cleaning up the yard for spring

partsRheavy
03-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Just checking in quickly this afternoon.

Had a terrific w/o on Friday --- hit a PR on bench and got 95 x 5. I was happy to finally get the 25's on the end rather than those measly 5's and 10's!!

Sun worked back emphasizing traps i.e. wide-bar low rows and wide-bar pulldowns.

Will post the w/o's in a couple of days.

partsRheavy
03-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Thursday March 11

Bench
(warmup w/ 3-4 reps each of 45, 65, 85)

95 lbs
5 (4 w/good form)

Never underestimate the benefits of the gym radio playing the song "Iron Man..."

Incline - 80 lbs

Hammer Strength Isolateral Chest - 40 lbs/side

Try 45/side

Try 47.5/side

partsRheavy
03-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Back trying to focus on traps

Clean & Jerk - 50 lbs with fixed-wt bar

Upright Row in Smith Machine - 25/side

Shrugs in Smith Machine - 40/side

Wide-Grip Low Row (use wide-grip attachment) - 90 lbs
Try 95 lbs
Try 97.5 lbs

partsRheavy
03-23-2010, 07:18 PM
I've had several terrific workouts lately, but haven't been close to a computer very much. And this time, I left my logbook at home!! (the computer is away from home). I promise an update in a couple of days.

partsRheavy
03-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Bench - 85 lbs
Try 90 lbs

Incline - 65 lbs
3 sets, did not go to near failure

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Pull Down - 25/side
3 sets of 8-10
Tried a couple overhand and one set underhand

Ab pulldown with tricep rope - 70 lbs

The weight was lower than last time because I was using a higher pulley. This is the correct weight for this exercise.

partsRheavy
03-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Row - 60 lbs with the cambered curl bar

Try 70 lbs

T-Bar Row - 70 lbs (2 x 35 on the end)
5 ---- too heavy!

Down to 35 + 25 = 60 lbs

DB Rows - 35 lbs
9-8
10-9
10-9

Wide Grip Low Rows

3 sets of 10-11. I had some form problems that I'm working to address.

partsRheavy
03-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Bench - 85 lbs
Try 90 lbs
6 <--- close-grip

Preacher Curl - 40 lbs
Try 45 lbs

Hammers - 15 lbs

partsRheavy
03-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Light Calf Presses to help my right knee. I messed it up a little bit while kicking a soccer ball around a park back on Friday.

Incline Bench - 80 lbs

Standing Mil. Press - 40 lbs
Try 50 lbs

Low Row - 90 lbs
Down to 75 lbs

Tricep Pulldown with the V attachment - 40 lbs

partsRheavy
03-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Yeehaw!!!!! This was a good workout!!

First, I did the light calf raises for the right knee again. The knee isn't a real bad situation, but it means I need to stay away from heavy squats or leg presses for a little while, and I should avoid kneeling, which is a bad habit I have around the house. I get in the habit of kneeling on the floor (usually on a cushion) rather than sitting in a chair....

Then, I did the bench. Warmed up with 65 and 85 lbs, and then....

95 lbs
8 <----PR
9 <----PR

Try 100 lbs
5 <----PR!

Down to 95 lbs

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Chest Press - 45/side
Try 47.5 lb/side

Tricep Pulldown - 40 lbs
Try 50 lbs

partsRheavy
03-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Went to a local college campus that has a farm today There is a trail around the farm and alongside a river. Spent a very enjoyable hour or so walking the trail and observing spring. It's been a tough winter here, so the crocus and daffodils are barely out. It's an organic farm and I could smell the earthy smell of the manure in the greenhouse area --- a sure sign that things are coming to life after the dead of winter!

partsRheavy
03-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Thursday's w/o

Bench - 95 lbs

Incline - 85 lbs
Down to 75 lbs

Standing Curls with the Regular Oly Bar - 45 lbs
Try 50 lbs (a baby 2.5 on each side)

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Pulldown - 15/side
better form with the lower weight

partsRheavy
03-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Bench - 95 lbs
3 to warm up
Try 105 lbs
Down to 95 for some normal sets

DB Rows - 35 lbs
12-10
12-12
12-12

Preacher Curl - 45 lbs
Down to 35 lbs because wrist was feelin' it

Overall, a good workout!!

Had lunch, went shopping at my favorite Goodwill store (they have everything, sometimes new) and took a 30-minute walk.

SallyAnne
04-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Went to a local college campus that has a farm today There is a trail around the farm and alongside a river. Spent a very enjoyable hour or so walking the trail and observing spring. It's been a tough winter here, so the crocus and daffodils are barely out. It's an organic farm and I could smell the earthy smell of the manure in the greenhouse area --- a sure sign that things are coming to life after the dead of winter!

I actually LOVE that smell. lol I'm a gardener, so dirt/compost smell always makes me long for summer.

partsRheavy
04-13-2010, 03:59 PM
I've been away from the computer a lot lately, but have had some good workouts. Will update in a few days!

Spring weather is lovely, and I'm getting in some walks too!

The little boo-boo I did to my knee is all better now!! I just gotta watch trying to play soccer...my 46 year old knees aren't 12 years old anymore!! :-)

partsRheavy
05-03-2010, 02:45 PM
I've been away from the computer pretty much all last week and have been very busy doing some stuff with the Census.

In fact, I've been doing so much running around that I have lost 4 or 5 pounds and am down to 136.4, with better definition in the calves, arms and back! Waist, butt thighs still a way to go.

Last few workouts have focused on bench and rows, with a few calf presses and hack squats thrown in.

Still happily putting 95 lbs up on bench and hopefully will get to the gym tonight for a good w/o!!

partsRheavy
05-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Just wanted to drop by for a moment. Have had good w/o's lately, including one where I was taking a break at work, and was wearing a (long) dress. I stood up and did some tricep stuff on the cables!! See, you can even work out in office clothes! :)

partsRheavy
05-28-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm still running around doing lots of stuff with the Census. Overall have lost perhaps 7 pounds just owing to increased activity, standing, nervous energy, and a slight cleanup of the diet. :p

Benching 95 x 8-10 and about a week ago, put up 105 x 4 for two sets.

partsRheavy
06-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Found a bit of time to get back on the computer! Here's an update on what I've been doing.

Yesterday, I did one of the most hardcore workouts I've ever done, and it wasn't even in a gym. I helped a friend load thousands of pounds of heavy old defunct 1960s-1970s-era radio equipment into a U-Haul, and then we went and dumped it. If any of you guys are familiar with old radio equipment, it was ~heavy~ in the days before they put everything in a plastic case.

We did THREE dump runs in a 14-foot U-Haul truck. There was a certain amount of _throwing_ the equipment into the truck, and there was a LOT of throwing it into the Metal Recycling dumpster. My friend was more guilty than me of throwing the iron, because I was worried about scratching up the interior of the truck.

By the end of it all, I felt like I had w/o'd in a really hardcore gym!!!!

On the way back to the truck rental place, we saw something really crazy....a wheel (tire and all) came flying down the road, fortunately going the other direction around a curve. A couple of seconds later, a truck came along, skidding and throwing MAJOR sparks from its axle as it ground against the pavement. Apparently, he had lost all his lug nuts!!!! It truly looked like a NASCAR wreck! Fortunately, no one was injured!!!

Today, I'm pretty much sore all over, but am eating some extra cal's to compensate and recover.

Current weight is 133 lbs
waist is 29.5" (empty stomach in morning)
arms are 12"
calves about 14.5"
thighs are about 21.5" (but I don't know if I'm doing measurments correctly
neck is 14"

partsRheavy
06-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Wednesday w/o was a brief chest/biceps w/o.

Flat Bench
95 x 11
115 x 2
95 x 9

Preacher Curl - 35 lbs
2 sets of ~15

Rode bike ~1.5 h on Tues. and ~1 h today. May go out again later this evening.

Census is mostly over, except for a week or two of finishing-up work.

I may be moving in a couple of months - the friends from whom I rent have a lot going on in their lives right now and are looking to sell the house.

partsRheavy
09-06-2010, 11:54 PM
There are a lot of changes going on in my life right now.

Obviously, the Census is over. It was good while it lasted....but the job market in the area of NC where I have been located isn't particularly good.

Also, the person who owns the house where I have lived for the past several years needs to sell the house (ASAP). So, he is completely remodeling the house and I am no longer living there.

So, I am needing to move...

I've been considering several different locations over the past couple of months. I'm looking for a community with

----shorter overall commutes (this one narrowed things out quite a bit)
----decent job market (this one narrowed things a lot)
----active community i.e. bike lanes etc.
----climate where it doesn't rain every day during summer and doesn't snow much during the winter. Some rain/snow OK, just not LOTS.

At the end, it got narrowed down to 2 (or 3) possible choices:

-Portland, OR
-Austin, TX
-(teach English overseas)

I know that I'm not logging a w/o here, but I'll mention that I just came back from the get-acquainted mission to Austin, TX, and I'm SORE! :p A combination of several bike rides + a really awesome w/o did it.

I'm impressed by the community in Austin and the number of active people. I saw active people at all levels and from a wide variety of different backgrounds. Kids walking to school...random ppl riding bikes just for fun or to go someplace...all the way to a guy in a gym who looked like he could compete within a couple weeks!

The things I'm giving up related to this move include an assortment of odds and ends like some books, a bunch of clothes that I haven't worn in a while, some antique-store goodies (vases etc.), and some members of my agate collection. I'm also giving up the spot by a gurgling stream where I've lived the past several years.

But, I'm gaining other things, like being able to drop by the taco truck and get some real-food protein the way it's meant to be eaten...piping hot with salsa wrapped in a corn tortilla. (throw out the tortilla if too many carbs that day).

My computer access should improve in a couple of weeks.

partsRheavy
10-06-2010, 12:04 AM
I have computer access now, and am settling down in my new location!

First impression is that there are a LOT more active people here than back in NC! It's a great influence!!

I've worked out 3 times at a true Old Skool gym and had great w/o's every time. Didn't bring my log book, but the w/o's were similar. Each time, I started out with a few sets of squats with 95-115 lbs.

Then, I did bench similar to this:
95 lbs
105 lbs
Back down to 95 lbs
around 6

In a couple of the w/o's I followed up with as many reps of 65 lbs with close grip as I could do.

Then, I did either T-bar rows, preacher curls, or dumbbell hammers.

I really need to dig up my log book from the moving boxes so I can do a better job logging stuff.

partsRheavy
10-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Today, I rode the bike for about an hour (slow) and then went to the gym. Didn't bring my logbook, so this is just a vague report. I'll bring it next time.

Hack Squat - 4 sets of 10-12

T-Bar Rows - 5 sets, each of 8 reps. Had to switch weights around a little because it's a T-bar row on a stand (COOL!!), rather than just setting up a bar in a corner.

Dumbbell Rows - one set with 30 lbs and then did three sets of approx. 8 with the 35-pound DB.

Calf Raise - 5 sets of 9-11. Had to switch weights around because I'm just barely getting used to this equipment.

Some tricep pulldowns with 60 lbs.

Little bit of abs.

Diet is D-Lish around here - lots and lots of chicken fajita tacos around!!!!

General observations include that average ppl are in better shape than back in North Carolina. They walk around more on the average and there are lots of bike riders in town.

The gym itself would be universally loved by RX members!! Everyone lifts heavy and does serious work, and that includes women!! :)

Will bring logbook next time!!

One more note. I am trying some BCAA's and they are really helping knock down soreness.

partsRheavy
10-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Worked out Saturday but the logbook is elsewhere (in the car), so I will post it with tomorrow's w/o.

Rode bike an hour each on Sunday and today.

I'm enjoying riding the bike in a location with lots of bike lanes and other bike riders!!

partsRheavy
10-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Hack Squat

2 plates and a 25 per side.

Bench - 95 lbs
100 lbs
Up to 105 lbs
Down to 95 lbs
close-grip - 65 lbs to burn it out

Standing Curls with cambered bar - 10/side
Try 15/side
Down to 10/side

Tricep Pulldowns - 30 lbs
Try 40

Seated Calf - 2 plates + 25 lbs

partsRheavy
10-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Squat - 130 lbs

Incline - 75 lbs
Try 80 lbs

Seated Overhead Press - 55 lbs

Standing Curls - 35 lbs
Try 45 lbs

Deadlifts - 95 lbs
Try 105 lbs

Calf Raise - 2 plates + 25

partsRheavy
10-13-2010, 12:13 AM
By the way, I'm happy to live in a community where a lot of people do active things. The intramural fields and parks seem to always have people kicking around a soccer ball or playing basketball, and bikes are a common sight on the streets. Also, a lot of the kids WALK to and from school, which is SOOOO different from back in North Carolina where they either rode the bus or Mom's Taxi.

freebirdmac
10-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Nice workouts! I'd like to have your squat and hack numbers. Deep squats and hacks are the bane of my leg workouts.

Glad you like your new city!

partsRheavy
10-15-2010, 11:16 PM
I can't say the squats and hacks are all that deep. However, I have comparatively more strength in the legs and calves than in upper body because I rode a bike a lot as a teenager. It's my theory that the best time to build a solid base is as a teenager. The funny thing is that for years I wandered around with a size 8 lower body and a size 4 upper!! I just thought I was born with a big butt LOL. I didn't really understand that riding the bike had built muscle in my legs and that I needed to do something about the upper...

Nice workouts! I'd like to have your squat and hack numbers. Deep squats and hacks are the bane of my leg workouts.

Glad you like your new city!

partsRheavy
10-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Rode bike yesterday for a couple of hours around Lady Bird Lake. Saw the famous bat roost under the Congress Street bridge.

Worked out today but left notebook in car. Will post in a day or two.

freebirdmac
10-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah I'd like to have started with the lower body mass I had in my younger years. That mass was long gone :(

partsRheavy
10-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Hack Squat - 2 plates + 25/side
Try with 3 plates/side

Had a good day because legs weren't fatigued.

Strength day for bench:

Bench - 95 lbs
Try 105 lbs
Try 110
Try 115
Try 120
Back to 95

Hammer Strength Iso-Incline - 25/side
Try 35/side
Down to 25

Few standing curls and couple sets of 50-lb t-bar rows to finish.

partsRheavy
10-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Hack Squat - 3 plates/side

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Shoulder - 35/side
Try 37.5/side
Down to 35/side

Found the challenge weight with this one!

DB Bench - 30 lb DB's
Felt a little twinge in shoulder so stopped.

HS iso-incline press - 35 lbs

Few sets of tricep pulldowns and calf raises to finish.

partsRheavy
10-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Saturday did an approx. 2 hour bike ride and today I rode a little over an hour (slow-medium).

I am middle-aged now...optometrist gave me a bifocal prescription but I am just going to order reading glasses separate from the regular glasses because I don't want the ground to be blurry when I'm riding the bike or walking. Need to be able to see those bumps in the pavement and chuckholes that seem to jump out at ya when ya ride a bike....

partsRheavy
10-19-2010, 11:41 PM
My upper can't catch up with my lower LOL!

Yeah I'd like to have started with the lower body mass I had in my younger years. That mass was long gone :(

partsRheavy
10-22-2010, 01:22 AM
Beat up my legs and back today!!

Squats - 135 lbs

T-Bar Row - 55 lbs on the end
Try 60 on the end
BTW, this is a setup on a wooden stand, not a 45-lb bar in the corner

Deadlifts - 115 lbs
Down to 95 lbs

Finished up with 5 sets of 14-15 rep calf raises - 2 plates and a 25

Then, I drove a few miles to an area around a lake for a little bike ride. What I didn't know was that....I would accidentally hook up with a social bike ride and the little bike ride turned into a nice slow but fairly long bike ride!! I wound up riding about 27 miles overall, but it was great fun in the midst of only a few HUNDRED bikes riding down the streets!!

freebirdmac
10-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Hehe, bust your legs in the gym then get caught up in a marathon social bike ride. Can you walk today? :D

partsRheavy
10-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Well, I was able to walk but I was sorta knocked out the day after...

partsRheavy
10-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Friday and Sunday were rest days.

Saturday, went riding the bike for a couple of hours. Knee complained a little afterward.

Monday's w/o was mainly shoulders/chest:

Incline Bench - 85 lbs
Down to 80 lbs

Hammer Strength Isolateral Shoulder - 25 lbs/side

Bench - 90 lbs

T-Bar Row - 45 lbs on end
55 lbs
Try 60 lbs
Try 70 lbs

Did a few sets of calf raises to wind it up. The calf raises seem to help my knees and I like doing them.

partsRheavy
10-26-2010, 02:49 PM
It's as if the tornado that dropped Dorothy into Oz got me.....:p

I came to the hotel lobby to get some rather boring info to put on job applications and in walks a dude who looks like he could get on stage in the middleweights.

The irony is guess what he came to the lobby for? A TV remote control!!!

I joked and said, "You don't need to be watching TV! I can tell that you'd be better off riding a bike or running around down by the Lake!!" He said, "Thank you!"

It was only once in a blue moon that I saw a serious-looking BB'r outside a gym in my former location. One time about two years ago, I saw a heavyweight guy delivering water (those 10-gallon Sparkletts-type containers for the office water cooler) to a Goodwill store. Another time, saw a couple guys who looked like they had at least 10 years under the iron in a food court at a shopping mall.

Around here, of course there are the usual out-of-shape ppl, but I also see a LOT more ppl who are in shape. Of course, most are runners and cardio folks, but the BB'rs aren't nearly as rare as they were in, um....Kansas....before the tornado dropped me off here....:p

Gotta abandon the computer for the moment and hop on the bike....

partsRheavy
10-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Rode about 20 miles today. Rode through residential areas, central business district, and explored a greenway I just only found today!

I couldn't believe it and still don't think I did it, but I scammed a pullup out of the bars that were there. There were two bars - a short one good for children or for a half-rep. I did one or two on that one, and then decided to try the tall bar. Couldn't believe it, but got one!

Several people at the greenway - kids, moms, and a small outdoor exercise class.

Odd observation of the day. I see fewer dogs in the parks here than I saw back in North Carolina. I do see dogs, but just not as many as I saw back in NC. I like meeting ppl and their dogs!

partsRheavy
10-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Worked mostly back and triceps yesterday. Journal is elsewhere so will post in a day or two.

Rode 14 miles on the bike today, part of it at night!!

partsRheavy
10-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Rest day today.

Rode a little over 25 miles on the bike yesterday. Went to the Tour de Fat [Tire] which is sponsored by the New Belgium Brewing Co.

I know it sounds like some sort of beer-belly event LOL but actually, it's sort of a bike festival/circus. It came to several cities this year. The event is free but the proceeds from sales of beer, bike accessories etc. go to some local bike-related organizations. The bottom line is to promote bikes - the kind that one rides on the street and not just in the gym! They also had a solar-powered stage (fortunately it was sunny yesterday....).

There was even a Bike Pit! What is a Bike Pit? Well, just imagine every conceivable sort of mal-engineering that goes on approximately two (i.e. 1-7) wheels and is human-powered.

YouTube - Portland BTA Tour de Fat Bike Pit

The sign said, "WARNING: Bikes May Attack!"

Another video of what the Tour de Fat is all about....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pChGFDlwSXohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pChGFDlwSXo

Definitely lots of frivolity and hilarity!

:p

partsRheavy
11-01-2010, 10:50 PM
These are some of the things that can go WRONG with a bicycle!!:p

partsRheavy
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Deadlift - 125 lbs
Try 135 lbs
4 - grip a problem
Down to 115 lbs

T-Bar Rows with Fixed Setup - 65 lbs on the end
5 - hands were bothering me. Yeah I know...gloves...
9 - got it!

Cable Pulldowns - 50 lbs

Plate Row - 2 x 25 lbs
12 - good burn in triceps

Preacher Curl - 40 lbs

partsRheavy
11-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Took an extra rest day for Monday, and it paid off today.

Warmed up with a few hack squats and leg presses

Bench - 105 lbs
Go to 110 lbs
Try 115 lbs
Down to 105 lbs
Glad I was able to keep strength after a lot more than usual bike riding last week!

Hammer Strength Iso-Incline Press - 35 lbs/side

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Decline - 45/side
First time I've tried this machine

Calf Raises - 150 lbs on apparatus

partsRheavy
11-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Did an abbreviated w/o yesterday.

Deadlift - 145 lbs
sorta heavy

Plate Row - 2 x 25 lbs

T-Bar Row - 65 lbs on end of device

Form off - down to 45 lbs

Went away because the Thursday night social bike ride was waiting!! Went to the Blue Starlight Drive-In (bike-in) with about 150 other bikes and watched Quicksilver (1986 - Kevin Bacon and Jamie Gertz). A wild ride ensued afterward!

partsRheavy
11-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Rode bike today approx. 17 miles. Had the shifter cables replaced.

freebirdmac
11-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Versa grips!!!!

Nice workouts. Glad you could fit some in between your bike rides :p

partsRheavy
11-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Today was a rest day. I did some miscellaneous shopping and errands.

Also, finally got some progress pics taken. I'm happy with the way the forearms and calves are leaning out, but seems there's the usual female fat deposits thighs and hips.

partsRheavy
11-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Rode 20 miles on the bike today. Here are some of the things that I saw:

The device in the park is a body-weight leg press LOL. Completely ineffective!

You know you're in Texas when a church has a steeple shaped like an oil derrick!

Many streets have good bike lanes and sidewalks. A few, unfortunately, don't.

partsRheavy
11-07-2010, 06:05 PM
And, I saved the best for last. The highlight of the bike ride was a stop at a nursery that specializes in tropical plants and orchids.

The orchids and beautiful and some are prizewinners! The owner explained that if she comes to an orchid show to sell plants, she is also required to enter an exhibition in the show.

The last pic is the pitchers of a pitcher plant. These are fascinating - they are carnivorous! They live in areas with poor soils and use the flies etc. that they capture to form a solution of amino acids and nitrogen-containing minerals to supplement their lives!

partsRheavy
11-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Few Sets Hack Squat to Warm Up - 2 pl/side

Bench - 105 lbs
Down to 95 lbs

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Shoulder - 25 lbs/side

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Decline - 45 lbs/side

Preacher Curls - 10 lbs/side of cambered curl bar

My weight is down a few pounds to around 130 - probably from the bike riding.

partsRheavy
11-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Rode 18 miles on the bike today.

Great ride - visited the university campus. Awesome library!

partsRheavy
11-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Squat - 115 lbs
125 lbs

DB Bench - 35 lbs

HS Isolateral Decline - 45 lbs/side

HS Isolateral Bench - 25 lbs/side supersetted with T-Bar Rows - 60 lbs on end.
3 sets each. Bench sets approx. 11 reps each; T-Bar row sets approx. 8 reps each.

Finished up with 4 sets of calf raises and a few minutes standing on the upside-down Bosu ball.

partsRheavy
11-13-2010, 09:14 PM
I didn't bring my logbook to this one, but I did a quick w/o with 3 sets of:

-T-Bar Rows
-Preacher Curls
-Calf Raises

Sorry I forgot the lifts....

partsRheavy
11-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Today, I rode about 28 miles around town, mostly in bike lanes but a bit on a bike/walk trail.

Some of the cool things I saw include a direct-from-Mexico classic VW bug, a classic Texas parking spot for my bike, and a fall sunset by the lake.

The last pic is my shadow next to some permanent installation artwork that decorate the LAB - the Lance Armstrong Bikeway!

partsRheavy
11-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Yesterday, I went to the expo for the San Antonio Rock 'n' Roll marathon. (No - not going to run or walk the marathon ---- just wanted to check out the stuff at the expo).

After a product demonstration, I bought the wristband that is pictured below.

I am not sure how this product works, but it is working for me. The demonstration involved comparing my ability to keep my balance on one foot with arms stretched out, without wristband vs. with the wristband. My strength and balance were better wearing the wristband than without, and the difference was perceptible.

The folks at the booth selling the wristbands (also a necklace and a dog tag available) explained that a lot of MLB players are wearing them. They were also selling well to the marathoners.

So far, I believe my endurance for today's bike ride was a bit improved, and also a bit of soreness in the knees from Thursday's squats was reduced.

I plan to log my next few workouts and compare some lifts next week.

freebirdmac
11-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Progress picts! Yay! I need to do that soon.

Leaning out is going well. Don't fret the lower body, it'll come in. Just enjoy the muscles being revealed in your upper body! It's looking good!

Not quite convinced about the magnetic wrist bands :)

partsRheavy
11-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Freebird!! Great to hear from ya!!

Thanx for the compliments re: upper! :)

I would never have been convinced about this bracelet thingy until I tried it. I saw an ad in a magazine out here and totally didn't get it. Basically, it looked like a shoe ad i.e. very few details. Actually, it isn't magnetic. Of course, I've seen magnetic and hematite bracelets and copper bracelets, but this is different.

I took today as a rest day. I actually feel pretty good after yesterday's ride, but didn't want to overdo.

partsRheavy
11-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Bench - 95 lbs
105 lbs

Hammer Strength Isolateral Incline - 25 lbs
Try 27.5 lbs

HS Isolateral Decline - 45 lbs
Try 47.5 lbs

HS Isolateral Front Lat Pulldown - 35 lbs
Try 40 lbs

Few Calf Raises, and Leg Raises on the dip stand for abs.

partsRheavy
11-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Deadlift - 115 lbs
Try 125 lbs
Try 130 lbs
Used ~3 minute rest periods the last set.

T-Bar Row - 70 lbs on end
Down to 65 lbs

Tricep pulldown - 40 lbs

partsRheavy
11-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Midday, rode bike 18 miles

Then, this evening went to gym for shoulders and biceps.

Overhead DB Raise - 30 lb DB's

Behind-neck DB Raise - 22.5 lb
Try a 25 lb DB

Overhead press with straight bar - 50 lbs
Try the 55 lb bar

Preacher Curl - 40 lbs
Try 45 lbs

partsRheavy
11-22-2010, 12:35 AM
Rode 25 miles today on the bike. Had fun! Will post Saturday's w/o tomorrow - left the log book elsewhere.

partsRheavy
11-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Bench - 95 lbs
105 lbs

Incline - 85 lbs

HS Isolateral Shoulder - 25/side

Standing Curls - 40 lbs
Try 50

Gym closed for the night.

partsRheavy
11-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Couple light squats to warm up

Deadlift - 135 lbs
Down to 115 lbs

T-Bar Row with Bar in Corner - 50 lbs on end
Try 60 lbs

Plate Row - 50 lbs (2 x 25)
Try 60 lbs (2 x 25 plus a 10)

Wanted to ride my bike this evening, but I got about a mile down the road, found out that I had a flat tire, and had to turn back! So tomorrow, need to go to a bike shop...

I have a funny anecdote about Austin. I'm reading stuff about bike thieves in Austin and I can't help but laugh.

Back in North Carolina, thieves didn't want bicycles! A bike was sort of the last thing that thieves wanted. See, most criminals like thieves are lazy. It's much more interesting to steal laptops, DVD players, jewels, xboxes, maybe a car?? you know - expensive stuff that doesn't involve exercise.

It's hilarious that there is apparently a bike theft problem in Austin. I guess that's a bad aspect to having a fitness-oriented community. The bad guys get healthy and then they want to steal a bike ha ha.

partsRheavy
11-22-2010, 09:52 PM
This is a photo off another website. This happened at around 2 am on a major INTERSTATE in an urban area not too far away from where I now live!

It would have NEVER happened in North Carolina!

For the information of those who might be wondering about my opinion....I think it's totally insane. Apparently this guy wasn't worried about possibly dying while trying to get bigger calves!

It might not be so insane if gas went up to $7.00 a gallon...

freebirdmac
11-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Interstate?? It's illegal as hell for a reason! You can't even walk down the interstate.

He gets the Darwin award

partsRheavy
11-23-2010, 07:48 PM
I know that LOL.

Interstate?? It's illegal as hell for a reason! You can't even walk down the interstate.

He gets the Darwin award

partsRheavy
11-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Stand Up Row in Smith Machine - 12.5 lbs/side

Assisted Dip - 40 lbs assistance. BW is 135 w/clothes
Try 28 lbs of assistance

Standing Curl - 40 lbs

3 sets of ~12 lat pulldowns weight unknown. The machine has numbers, not pounds.

Flat tire on bike fixed. Rode just a few miles on quiet residential streets - had residual soreness from yesterday.

partsRheavy
11-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Bench - 105 lbs
Try 110 lbs
Down to 100 lbs

Incline - 75 lbs

Hammer Strength Isolateral Wide Pulldown - 35 lbs/side
Try 37.5 lbs/side

HS isolateral Decline - 25 lbs/side

Few sets of calf raises to finish

Rest day for Thanksgiving!

partsRheavy
11-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Deadlift - 95 lbs
Go to 115 lbs

Standing Calf Raise - 90 lbs
Raise to 140 lbs
Raise to 160 lbs - new machine for me

Squat walkouts twice with 145 lbs and did ~5 squats after walking around approx. 45 sec with bar.

partsRheavy
11-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Bench - 110 lbs
Down to 95 lbs

Clean and Jerk - 55 lbs

Standing Curl - 50 lbs
11 <---- There was a touchdown on the TV football game LOL

Triceps Extension - 40 lbs

Leg Extension Machine - 30 lbs

Lying Leg Curl - 50 lbs

A few calf raises to finish up

partsRheavy
11-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Showed up @gym today and decided to do a higher-rep back w/o.

T-Bar Row - 45 lbs

Plate Row - 45 lbs

Assisted Dip - 34 lbs assist
Change to 28 lbs assist.

Few calf raises and few min on stair stepper (enough to work up a sweat)

partsRheavy
11-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Squats - 95 lbs
3 sets of 16-18

Bench - 115 lbs

Down to 95 lbs

Incline - 85 lbs

HS Wide Chest - 45 lbs

Few calf raises and a bit of abs to finish up.

partsRheavy
11-29-2010, 09:26 PM
As I mentioned above, recently I moved from North Carolina to Texas. I notice that there are a lot more good lifters around here. I don't really know why that is, but I have a couple of hypotheses:

1) Culture. Texas is big. So, Texans want to be big LOL.

2) I think maybe the football coaches here are better. HS football is a big deal here. It's pretty big back in NC, but I remember seeing pics of some of the local coaches in the newspapers and some of them were fat as all get-out. I don't mean just a little bit paunchy, but really obese. I just don't think someone like that is a good fitness mentor to HS kids. I also think maybe the school funding during the boom years was a little better so the HS's bought a lot of good weightroom eqpt. for the kids, and they got a good early start.

3) The traditional food 'round here is protein rich - steaks, BBQ and tacos.

4) It seems there are fewer religious hang-ups of various sorts and that the really, really vocally religious ppl who try to run other ppl's lives are a small minority. I know that doesn't seem like it's related to lifting, but it kind of relates to people's family's (and friends') attitudes toward stuff. Social perception and all that....

Especially if the lifter is a girl. I've seen a LOT more girls lifting here than back in NC.

freebirdmac
11-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Your bench numbers are climbing nicely! :)

partsRheavy
11-30-2010, 08:08 PM
!Gracias!

Today was a rest day.

My former landlord's (and a good friend's) wife passed away yesterday. She had been ill a long time. I actually didn't share all that much in common with his wife, but Tom and the kids are avid mineral collectors which is how I met them through shared hobby interest.

Some of the first lifts I did were actually buckets of mineral specimens out of an old quarry. Then, back around 2004, I visited Tom and the family while I walked a marathon that was near their home. (no, I don't run)

Then, around 2007, I started work in the factory that led to my screenname about "parts." And that's how I discovered the iron.

freebirdmac
11-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Interesting hobby! I remember my sister and I having a rock collection growing up. We had some neat specimens from our family vacations.

I love rest days!!!

partsRheavy
12-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Yes - Minerals can be really interesting. Unfortunately, over the years my collection grew a little too large and a whole bunch of agates and other miscellaneous things got left in a corner of the yard back in North Carolina.

That's cool that you gals dug rocks when you were kids. It's always fun seeing what there is out there at a vacation spot! One time I went out to Oregon and found these wonderful round, smooth rocks at a beach. I brought an entire bucket home!! Wound up giving some to a neighbor for her kid to do a painting project, and some others are in the North Carolina yard...

Interesting hobby! I remember my sister and I having a rock collection growing up. We had some neat specimens from our family vacations.

I love rest days!!!

partsRheavy
12-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Standing Overhead Press - 50 lbs
Try 60 lbs
Down to 50 lbs

DB Triceps Extension - 40 lbs

Standing Curl - 50 lbs
Down to 40 lbs

Assisted Dips - 28 lbs assist.
Try 16 lbs assist.

partsRheavy
12-02-2010, 10:34 PM
D/L with 110 lb fixed-wt bar
The last 2 sets I avoided touching the ground between reps to keep under tension continuously.

Standing Row - 60 lb fixed-wt bar
Try 70 lbs
11 (sort of a surprise!)

Stand and do arms'-length arcs with 30 lb fixed-wt bar

45 min on the cardio bike then 20 min walking on the treadmill. My new gym has a ~~~~Cardio Cinema~~~~ and Christmas with the Kranks (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388419/) from 2003 was playing. I'm a sucker for comedies and wanted to watch something to get into the Christmas spirit! This was the first time I tried a cardio cinema and it was fun!

freebirdmac
12-03-2010, 09:25 PM
45 min on the cardio bike then 20 min walking on the treadmill. My new gym has a ~~~~Cardio Cinema~~~~ and Christmas with the Kranks (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388419/) from 2003 was playing. I'm a sucker for comedies and wanted to watch something to get into the Christmas spirit! This was the first time I tried a cardio cinema and it was fun![/QUOTE]

My gym has a cardio cinema. Never wandered in there. Of course I haven't done cardio since spring :eek:

partsRheavy
12-04-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm a bit heavier than you, so I sorta need to keep after the cardio at least sometimes LOL. I'm 133 lbs 5'2" and usually wear a size 8 or 10 although fortunately some of those are fitting a little looser than before.

As you see by the outdoor bicycling and the movie, I get too bored just walking on a treadmill and watching TV. Gotta do something interesting while doing cardio like watching for cars, mowing down pedestrians, and making sure the bike doesn't get flipped by 6-inch deep, 6-inch wide round utility meter holes that lurk in the middle of bike lanes like evil bike-eating black holes!!!!!

45 min on the cardio bike then 20 min walking on the treadmill. My new gym has a ~~~~Cardio Cinema~~~~ and Christmas with the Kranks (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388419/) from 2003 was playing. I'm a sucker for comedies and wanted to watch something to get into the Christmas spirit! This was the first time I tried a cardio cinema and it was fun!

My gym has a cardio cinema. Never wandered in there. Of course I haven't done cardio since spring :eek: [/QUOTE]

partsRheavy
12-04-2010, 09:57 PM
I did something different this w/o. I put 135 on the squat bar, and then added dimes, doing a rep or two each time, up to the point where it was almost too much.

Wound up with 175 lbs. Did 2 sets of 8 reps each. (not super deep) On the second set, I walked out briefly with the bar. Then I did a third walkout for a bit and got 4 reps after that.

Legs felt it this morning of course!

Then walked around the block to cool down a bit and did a strength w/o on bench.

Bench - 120 lbs
Down to 105 lbs

HS Iso-Lateral Decline - 50 lbs

Few calf raises

partsRheavy
12-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Went to the gym briefly today (it's close to where I'm staying)

Got in a few sets of standing rows in the Smith machine and 3 sets of t-bar rows with 60 lbs on the end.

Did a few kettlebell swings, and that was enough after yesterday's heavy stuff...

partsRheavy
12-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Incline Bench - 85 lbs
Try 95 lbs. The 85 lbs didn't feel real difficult

Bench - 120 lbs (after warmups of course)
Down to 95 lbs

HS Isolateral Incline - 25/side
Try 30/side
Try 35/side

partsRheavy
12-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Deadlift - 135 lbs

Standing Row in Smith Machine - 10/side
Make it 15/side

Standing Curls - 50 lbs

Tried a partial range of motion with dips on dip stand (no assistance)

Few rows on row stand - light weight

Few calf raises to finish up

partsRheavy
12-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Well, after yesterday's deadlifts, I needed to take it a little bit easier today, but I still showed up @the gym.

Did some kettlebell swings (about 4 sets of 18-20), some tricep extensions (3 sets of ~12 with 40 lbs), and a few tricep pulldowns.

Earlier in the day, rode 11 miles outside on the bike.

partsRheavy
12-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Bench - let's see what happens with 125 lbs...
4 (shaky, shaky...)
Down to 105 lbs

Incline - 90 lbs

A set of declines, a set of decline hammer strength.

5 sets of calf raises with 3 plates on the calf raise. It's the sort of machine with just one place for the weights.

For some reason, the ppl in the gym notice the weight on the calf raise more than anything else. I explain that I rode a bike a lot as a kid, including uphill to my childhood home LOL.

May be a few interruptions in the next two weeks or so. I have some items in a storage unit. They raised the rent on me...so I need to find another place for the tchotchkes...

Also may need to find a cheaper place...and/or some work. However, the gym is close by and has several locations around here, which is definitely a +.

partsRheavy
12-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Rode 10 miles on the bike today. :-)

partsRheavy
12-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Fairly short workout tonight. Did some high-rep t-bar rows, some curls, and some tricep pulldowns.

What is more dramatic than the workout is that I talked with a friend who lives back in North Caroliina. It is literlly 7 degrees fahrenheit there now, and today's high temperature was 10 degrees F. They have 6-8 inches of snow on the ground.

Another friend of mine will be flying out to North Carolina later in the week for a funeral in their family. Hopefully the weather will be a little better by then.

partsRheavy
12-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Showed up at Gold's this evening and did:

Bench - 120 lbs
Try 125
Get gutsy and try 130 - bar looks all nice with a 25, 10, 5, and 2.5 each side!
Down to 115
only got 6

DB Press with 35's - bench set to sl. decline

Couple sets of light curls

In other news, showed up at the local department store (Dillard's clearance center).... A couple of my pairs of pants have been looking sort of baggy lately. So, I decided to try a couple of size 6's. Guess what? They fit!! A third pair was too small, but I was thrilled that I could buy pants in size 6!!!

In other department store notes, I was amazed at how many baggy blouses in hyuge sizes they had....as bad as Mall_Wart...I'm old enough to remember when fashionable meant size 4 or size 6 and not size 14......

Also, 8 miles on bicycle (to and from gym).

FBB ELISA CHARM
12-15-2010, 10:44 AM
:gm:

Stopping to say hello.

I am Done w/Cardio & Abs! :)

I am feeling great! :yep:

Training Chest, Tri's & Calves later on today!

:peace2:
Elisa

partsRheavy
12-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Thanks for stopping by Elisa!

Did mostly back today. Left the ol' log book at home today but basically, I did.

-T-Bar Rows - 5 sets of 10-12.
-DB Rows with 35 lb DB - 5 sets of approx. 14 reps
-Rows holding a 55-lb DB in both hands (not the usual one-hand) - 4 sets of approx. 12-13.
-few sets on the HS incline press.

FBB ELISA CHARM
12-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for stopping by Elisa!

Did mostly back today. Left the ol' log book at home today but basically, I did.

-T-Bar Rows - 5 sets of 10-12.
-DB Rows with 35 lb DB - 5 sets of approx. 14 reps
-Rows holding a 55-lb DB in both hands (not the usual one-hand) - 4 sets of approx. 12-13.
-few sets on the HS incline press.

How about chin-ups, pull-downs on your back wo day?

partsRheavy
12-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Good point! I should try some assisted chins next w/o.

And of course I can always have fun making a racket with the lat pull-down!!

How about chin-ups, pull-downs on your back wo day?

partsRheavy
12-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Did a mixture of strength and high-rep work today on bench.

Bench - 125 lbs
Down to 95 lbs
yeah!!

HS Isolateral Pulldown - 35 lbs/side
Try 40/side

HS Isolateral Decline - 45/side
Try 50/side

Few sets of ab stuff i.e. ab coaster etc.

FBB ELISA CHARM
12-18-2010, 01:06 AM
Did a mixture of strength and high-rep work today on bench.

Bench - 125 lbs
Down to 95 lbs
yeah!!

HS Isolateral Pulldown - 35 lbs/side
Try 40/side

HS Isolateral Decline - 45/side
Try 50/side

Few sets of ab stuff i.e. ab coaster etc.

"Down to 95 lbs ... 15 ... 15 ...yeah!!" one more...set ?!? push....!

NICE :yep: !!!

partsRheavy
12-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks!!!! Never did 6 sets. Might try it sometime....

Yesterday and today were rest days. Today was laundry...ugh!

freebirdmac
12-19-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm doing more drop sets after maxing out on my sucky chest and shoulder presses. Hoping it will help :p

Nice workouts!

partsRheavy
12-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks freebird!!

Curt James
12-20-2010, 12:28 AM
Third try....

qyU7BbQSm98

Did anyone ever fix that for you?

:dunno:

Great journal!

partsRheavy
12-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Oh Tina Turner - I love that song!!

I rarely go over the old posts in the journal, so don't know the answer to the question....not important now but thanks for the video!!

partsRheavy
12-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Warmed up with a few hack squats and did some bench warm ups. Then

Bench - 130 lbs
Down to 95 lbs

Attempted 135 w/a spotter. Got a rep but I wasn't very happy with it.

DB Bench - 30's

Didn't have a very long rest between the last bench set and the first DB bench set.

DB Shoulder Press - 20's

Few sets of calf raises w/3 plates on the calf raise thingy.

Sunnyday
12-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Nice!

partsRheavy
12-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Did something different today - attended a "Body Combat" class.

I was a little awkward, but really worked up a sweat!!!

FBB ELISA CHARM
12-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Did something different today - attended a "Body Combat" class.

I was a little awkward, but really worked up a sweat!!!

:gn:

It is fun to try something new!

Elisa

partsRheavy
12-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Deadlifts - 115 lbs

Squats - Practice Going Low - 95 lbs

T-Bar Row - 25 lbs
30 lbs

Some calf raises and then tried a leg curl machine by Hammer Strength where you sit down rather than lie down. Tried 35 lbs

partsRheavy
12-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Today I mostly did arm-type stuff. A little tired from yesterday's deadlifts.

Standing Curls - 40 lbs

Triceps Press - 40 lbs (lying down on bench)

3 sets kettlebell swings.

Curt James
12-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Oh Tina Turner - I love that song!!

I rarely go over the old posts in the journal, so don't know the answer to the question....not important now but thanks for the video!!

Glad to help. :)

Today I mostly did arm-type stuff. A little tired from yesterday's deadlifts.

Standing Curls - 40 lbs

Triceps Press - 40 lbs (lying down on bench)

3 sets kettlebell swings.

Back and arms tomorrow. Again, great journal! http://forums.rxmuscle.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

freebirdmac
12-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Merry Christmas!!!!!!!

partsRheavy
12-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Merry Christmas freebird!!!!! No snow today, but we had rain!!!! Needed it, too, as it has become a drought around here. So I guess if rain is the best that we can get from the North Pole, we'll be happy that rain is a lot easier to get around in than *snow*!

Would you believe but the gym was open?!?!

So I went and did:

DB Rows - 35 lbs
12-12
15-15
15-16
17-17

5 sets on the low row. I don't know the weight. I did 20 reps/set except the first, which was 15 reps.

Tried out the Cybex Eagle Incline Pull Machine - something new! Set it at 70 lbs.

I liked this machine! Hope to use it again.

Tomorrow and likely Sunday will be off days. I have a wee touch of tennis elbow in the left elbow, so will take it easy and let that heal up. And I don't even own a racquet or hit the courts!! :p

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and hope Santa Claus is good to y'all!!!!

partsRheavy
12-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Went to gym but will log the w/o tomorrow. Looking forward to getting some ~rain~ tomorrow!! Yeah rain, NOT *snow* !!!!!

Of course, I pigged out at a Chinese buffet over Christmas and enjoyed some pizza yesterday!

But the gym was really full tonight!

partsRheavy
12-29-2010, 06:35 PM
HS Isolateral Decline - 50 lbs

DB Bench - 40 lbs DBs

Lying Down Triceps Press - 40 lbs

Cybex Eagle Overhead Press Machine - 30 lbs

partsRheavy
12-29-2010, 06:41 PM
This is a superset of DB rows with standing rows. Same as Smith machine row just with a fixed-wt barbell. The DB rows used a 40 lb DB and the standing row used 40 lbs. DB rows numbers are in format "L-R" while standing rows are a single number.

12-12
13-13
14-13
13-13
14-14

Assisted Dips - 28 lbs assistance. BW with clothes is 135.

Lat Pulldown - weight unknown. Light
Little bit heavier

partsRheavy
12-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Didn't work out _per se_ today, but I lifted and moved a bunch of boxes into and out of a truck and storage units. Had to move my storage because the place that was so great for a couple of months raised their rates by 40%+!!!

Sunnyday
12-30-2010, 11:19 PM
40%?! Ouch!

partsRheavy
01-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Yep. On the larger storage units they doubled the rent! So, folks are moving out....although it's a clean, safe facility.

I rode the bike 12 miles today, outside.

New Years' Resolution: Bench 135 lbs!!!!

partsRheavy
01-02-2011, 12:58 AM
New Years' Day!!!!

I went to the gym today, in full expectation that it would be crowded with New Years' resolutioners. It turned out that no more than perhaps 5 of the people in the gym appeared to be new to working out. The rest - well let me just say that some of them were truly lifting hardcore and certainly were hardly new to lifting!!

There were also plenty of pieces of equipment available, to my somewhat surprise.

Warmed up with a couple sets of hack squats - 2 plates and a 25

Then I did bench.

Bench - 130 lbs
Tried 135....
!!!!! Got it!! Form wasn't perfect, but was able to do it w/o a spotter.
Down to 115
Down to 95 lbs

DB Bench - 40 lb DB's

HS Isolateral Incline - 25/side

partsRheavy
01-02-2011, 01:56 AM
I know it's blurry and has lousy light, but figured NY is a good time to do a progress pic.

partsRheavy
01-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Went to the gym Sunday evening and little evidence of the New Years' newbie influx!

However, I worked back:

T-Bar Rows - 45 lb bar in corner with 75 lbs on end (3 x 25)
Down to 50 lbs on end

Plate Row - 2 x 25
Try a 45-lb plate (wider)

Upright row in Smith machine - 20/side
Down to 15/side

Low Row - don't know the weight - setting was "5"

Sunnyday
01-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Great start to the new year!

partsRheavy
01-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Like the grackles that frequent the parking lots around Austin's grocery stores when the weather is desirable (and the crumbs are plentiful), the New Years' resolutioners showed up in full force this afternoon at the gym!

The classes were particularly full, but there was also a slight liquidity shortage in the free weight area. To explain that last statement, I meant that most of the stock of plates were in action!

Anyway, today I just did some kettlebells, a little bit of Ab Coaster, and some 3-plate calf raises.

Suzanne
01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Congrats on the 135!

Happy New Year

partsRheavy
01-06-2011, 07:19 PM
I worked chest yesterday and worked back today, but left the journal elsewhere so will post 'em in a day or two.

FBB ELISA CHARM
01-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Every single day counts, keep it up!

Have a great week end.

Elisa Charm

partsRheavy
01-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Bench - 115 lbs
Try 135
Down to 115
Down to 95
Incline - 85 lbs
Up to 90 lbs

It was sort of late at night and I was a bit tired, so left after that.

partsRheavy
01-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Forgot the log book, but basically this was
DB Rows - 50 lbs

T-Bar Rows (in corner) - 70 lbs on the end
4 sets of approx. 8 reps each

Low Rows - 3 sets - don't know the weight

Few Calf Raises - 3 plates

partsRheavy
01-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Bench - 135 lbs
Down to 115
Try 120 lbs

DB Bench - Used the 45's because the 40's were occupied LOL. First time with the 45's....
Down to 35's

Try some concentration curls - 20 lb DB
12 - 12
12 - 12
12 - 12

Standing curls - 50 lb fixed-wt bar

freebirdmac
01-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Good workouts!

partsRheavy
01-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Today, I decided to focus on legs.

Hack Squat - 3 plates + 25 per side

Lunges - 40 lb DB
Did a few sets lunging between a couple of structural poles in the functional area of the gym

D/L with one DB - 80 lbs
Try an 85-lb DB

Sunnyday
01-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Nice work!

partsRheavy
01-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Bench - 120 lbs
Down to 115
Down to 95

Seated Overhead Press

Chatted w/trainer and tried OHP machine to compare

Did a few sets of kettlebell stuff

Then went back to the overhead stuff.

Seated OH DB's - 25 lbs
10 (barely)

Tried some close-grip bench press for triceps - just 65 lbs

It's a lot harder when you hold the bar almost in the middle!!

And....got a haircut!!!! :p

partsRheavy
01-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Today, I decided to do a mostly-dumbbell pushme-pullyou day!!

DB Bench - 45 lbs

DB Row - 50 lbs
13-13
14-14
14-14
14-14

DB Overhead Press - 25 lbs

The next exercise was new to me, but I liked it. A trainer was showing it to someone else, and I decided to try it. You lie backwards on an incline bench and curl a flat-weight barbell under the bench. The strongest contraction happens at the top of the movement, which is different from normal standing or preacher curls. I tried 30 lbs.

Sunnyday
01-17-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm liking the all-DB WO there. Nice!