PDA

View Full Version : WMS Useage

Joshua H
10-04-2009, 10:36 AM
This study made some interesting findings as to the glycemic and insulinemic effects of WMS (50g dose) as compared to a malto/sucrose blend and white bread (control).

IMO I now feel that this study combined with 3 other studies I have seen, that WMS is NOT an effective post workout carbohydrate choice.

However I do believe that because of the low Glycemic and Insulinemic effects of WMS it would be an ideal carb replacement poweder to use with meal replacement shakes for the dieting or bulking bodybuilder. Its easy to mix, flavorless, causes no bloating or GI distress. Add in a little evoo, or mac nut oil with some whey and WMS and you have a high quality slow absorbing, super low GI meal in a bottle that mixes well.

Consumption of the slow-digesting waxy maize starch leads to blunted plasma glucose and insulin response but does not influence energy expenditure or appetite in humansAmanda L. Sandsa, Heather J. Leidyb, Bruce R. Hamakerc,d,
Paul Maguiree, Wayne W. Campbella,d,⁎
aDepartment of Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47906, USA
bDepartment of Dietetics and Nutrition, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
cDepartment of Food Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47906, USA
dIngestive Behavior Research Center, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47906, USA
eNatick Soldier RDEC, Combat Feeding Directorate, Natick, MA 01760, USA
Received 9 April 2009; revised 27 May 2009; accepted 27 May 2009

Limited research in humans suggests that slowly digestible starch may blunt the postprandial
increase and subsequent decline of plasma glucose and insulin concentrations, leading to prolonged
energy availability and satiety, compared to more rapidly digestible starch. This study examined the
postprandial metabolic and appetitive responses of waxy maize starch (WM), a slow-digestible
starch. It was hypothesized that the waxy maize treatment would result in a blunted and more
sustained glucose and insulin response, as well as energy expenditure and appetitive responses.
Twelve subjects (6 men and 6 women) (age, 23 ± 1 years; body mass index, 22.2 ± 0.7 kg/m2; insulin
sensitivity [homeostatic model assessment], 16% ± 2%; physical activity, 556 ± 120 min/wk)
consumed, on separate days, 50 g of available carbohydrate as WM, a maltodextrin-sucrose mixture
(MS), or white bread (control). Postprandial plasma glucose and insulin, energy expenditure, and
appetite (hunger, fullness, desire to eat) were measured over 4 hours. Compared to control, the
4-hour glucose response was not different for MS and WM, and the 4-hour insulin response was
higher for MS (P b .005) and lower for WM (P b .05). Compared to MS, WM led to lower 4-hour
glucose and insulin responses (P b .001). These differences were driven by blunted glucose and
insulin responses during the first hour for WM. Postprandial energy expenditure and appetite were
not different among treatments. These results support that WM provides sustained glucose
availability in young, insulin-sensitive adults.
© 2009 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

godstrength
10-07-2009, 02:35 PM
This study made some interesting findings as to the glycemic and insulinemic effects of WMS (50g dose) as compared to a malto/sucrose blend and white bread (control).

IMO I now feel that this study combined with 3 other studies I have seen, that WMS is NOT an effective post workout carbohydrate choice.

However I do believe that because of the low Glycemic and Insulinemic effects of WMS it would be an ideal carb replacement poweder to use with meal replacement shakes for the dieting or bulking bodybuilder. Its easy to mix, flavorless, causes no bloating or GI distress. Add in a little evoo, or mac nut oil with some whey and WMS and you have a high quality slow absorbing, super low GI meal in a bottle that mixes well.

Consumption of the slow-digesting waxy maize starch leads to blunted plasma glucose and insulin response but does not influence energy expenditure or appetite in humansAmanda L. Sandsa, Heather J. Leidyb, Bruce R. Hamakerc,d,
Paul Maguiree, Wayne W. Campbella,d,⁎
aDepartment of Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47906, USA
bDepartment of Dietetics and Nutrition, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
cDepartment of Food Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47906, USA
dIngestive Behavior Research Center, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47906, USA
eNatick Soldier RDEC, Combat Feeding Directorate, Natick, MA 01760, USA
Received 9 April 2009; revised 27 May 2009; accepted 27 May 2009

Limited research in humans suggests that slowly digestible starch may blunt the postprandial
increase and subsequent decline of plasma glucose and insulin concentrations, leading to prolonged
energy availability and satiety, compared to more rapidly digestible starch. This study examined the
postprandial metabolic and appetitive responses of waxy maize starch (WM), a slow-digestible
starch. It was hypothesized that the waxy maize treatment would result in a blunted and more
sustained glucose and insulin response, as well as energy expenditure and appetitive responses.
Twelve subjects (6 men and 6 women) (age, 23 ± 1 years; body mass index, 22.2 ± 0.7 kg/m2; insulin
sensitivity [homeostatic model assessment], 16% ± 2%; physical activity, 556 ± 120 min/wk)
consumed, on separate days, 50 g of available carbohydrate as WM, a maltodextrin-sucrose mixture
(MS), or white bread (control). Postprandial plasma glucose and insulin, energy expenditure, and
appetite (hunger, fullness, desire to eat) were measured over 4 hours. Compared to control, the
4-hour glucose response was not different for MS and WM, and the 4-hour insulin response was
higher for MS (P b .005) and lower for WM (P b .05). Compared to MS, WM led to lower 4-hour
glucose and insulin responses (P b .001). These differences were driven by blunted glucose and
insulin responses during the first hour for WM. Postprandial energy expenditure and appetite were
not different among treatments. These results support that WM provides sustained glucose
availability in young, insulin-sensitive adults.
© 2009 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

I am a huge fan of science and definitely give it- it's due. That said, regardless of the results produced by science.

Science itself cannot explain that fact ( other than saying it was the PLACEBO effect or just anicdotal ) that there are those who like myself- WMS works better for me than does Vitargo or some other mix.

I used Vitargo for months before ever switching to WMS. I kept using Vitargo during that time, just because everyone was saying it was best, and that WMS was worthless.
I even tolerated a mild upset stomach using Vitargo.

I am not saying that WMS is surperier to Vitargo, but WMS certainly works better for me.

Vitargo left me feeling flat, and heavy and with an upset stomach.

WMS, does not. I use it both pre and post workout.
PreWO I also use a pre-workout supplement called CELL-RUSH, it contains Beta-Alanine. So in just a few short moments I begin to feel the effect of parathesia. About 10 minutes after taking CELL-RUSH, I drink down my WMS. Taking in WMS a few minutes after my preWO, the parathesia really intensifies.

I am not saying that using WMS increases the uptake of the beta-alanine, but I do know for sure that the parathesia I feel is VERY intense.
Vitargo NEVER made me feel like that. It actually seemed to diminish any energy I had.

POST workout the use of WMS seems to increase my pump. Again, Vitargo did not. It left me flat.

Now, all this said, I know there are guys wearing labs and pocket protectors ready to jump in and defend their mighty Vitargo, and that is fine.

Again, I am not saying WMS is better than Vitargo. WMS just happens to work better for me......

juiceinator3000
10-08-2009, 11:28 AM
hmmm. i read the article by david barr and i have to say i was interested. after using waxy maize (couple diff products, and a couple containers of each) i wasnt really that impressed. one made me feel bloated, and the others made me feel sick when i took them pre wo. being that it was supposed to be the "most rapidly digesting carb source" i noticed internally that it wasnt. when taken in comparison to dextrose, the waxy maize makes me feel sick during a wo and the dextrose does not. both supps were taken w/in 45-60 minutes pre wo with varying doses, from 20-70 g carbs coming from each. i keep my diet very consistent and clean which is the only way i was able to notice the differences. bottom line imo- dextrose absorbs rapidly (at least in my body) and wms takes longer, which is essentially what this guys study said. he said it was at greatest comparable to the digestability of maltodextrin. dextrose vs. wms as far as price goes is a no brainer. im sticking to the dextrose for now

chucksm00th
10-08-2009, 12:11 PM
I am a huge fan of science and definitely give it- it's due. That said, regardless of the results produced by science.

Science itself cannot explain that fact ( other than saying it was the PLACEBO effect or just anicdotal ) that there are those who like myself- WMS works better for me than does Vitargo or some other mix.

I used Vitargo for months before ever switching to WMS. I kept using Vitargo during that time, just because everyone was saying it was best, and that WMS was worthless.
I even tolerated a mild upset stomach using Vitargo.

I am not saying that WMS is surperier to Vitargo, but WMS certainly works better for me.

Vitargo left me feeling flat, and heavy and with an upset stomach.

WMS, does not. I use it both pre and post workout.
PreWO I also use a pre-workout supplement called CELL-RUSH, it contains Beta-Alanine. So in just a few short moments I begin to feel the effect of parathesia. About 10 minutes after taking CELL-RUSH, I drink down my WMS. Taking in WMS a few minutes after my preWO, the parathesia really intensifies.

I am not saying that using WMS increases the uptake of the beta-alanine, but I do know for sure that the parathesia I feel is VERY intense.
Vitargo NEVER made me feel like that. It actually seemed to diminish any energy I had.

POST workout the use of WMS seems to increase my pump. Again, Vitargo did not. It left me flat.

Now, all this said, I know there are guys wearing labs and pocket protectors ready to jump in and defend their mighty Vitargo, and that is fine.

Again, I am not saying WMS is better than Vitargo. WMS just happens to work better for me......

I have to totally agree with you...I got knocked on here when the first "study" came out on MD's website saying that WMS was bogus and i was pushing it.....Ive tried all three and like WMS the most....obviously dextrose is cheaper but i dont get a crash or feel shitty afterwards so i dont care about the price difference...its the same w/ D-bol....people rave about it but i just cant eat while on it...so it defeats the purpose of taking it "for me"....Ultimately each person should decide whats right for them...if your stomach is not bothered go for the latter....And a piece of paper has its right however it all depends upon the individual as well

Abraxas
11-25-2009, 07:04 AM
I have to totally agree with you...I got knocked on here when the first "study" came out on MD's website saying that WMS was bogus and i was pushing it.....Ive tried all three and like WMS the most....obviously dextrose is cheaper but i dont get a crash or feel shitty afterwards so i dont care about the price difference...its the same w/ D-bol....people rave about it but i just cant eat while on it...so it defeats the purpose of taking it "for me"....Ultimately each person should decide whats right for them...if your stomach is not bothered go for the latter....And a piece of paper has its right however it all depends upon the individual as well

Think about it,what does that tell ya smart guy?

Frosty
11-26-2009, 12:28 AM

I'm wondering why you would really crash when using dextrose PWO. How much are you taking? What are your workouts like (reps, volume)? What is your weight?