PDA

View Full Version : Should Jay retire now or continue to compete?

Curt James
10-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Should Jay Cutler retire on top or should he compete in the 2010 Mr. Olympia?

http://www.flexonline.com/09contests/09olympia/men/jay_cutler/images/_MG_5536.jpg

ANADROLicfreak
10-04-2009, 06:08 PM
he obviously can still get into shape.one more year i say.of course i am a cutler fan though.

Ironguru
10-04-2009, 06:09 PM
One more year.

thachozenonebx
10-04-2009, 06:10 PM
nah nah nah nah..nah nah nah nah...say aaaaa...GOODBYE

BuffGuy
10-04-2009, 06:10 PM
he should compete and get another 3 wins... I don't see any1 right now beating Jay with the 2009 showing:)

Big Barry
10-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Considering he now looks better than ever...i would be shocked if he retired. He'll be harder to knock off this time around that's for sure.

Jason Newman
10-04-2009, 06:15 PM
yes he got in shape again and Damn good for him, but he should do what very few others are smart enough to do, Leave the game with your head held high and your reputation even higher,
jay knows marketing and his name at the top will allow for more business than if he comes back and loses it.

plus werent they gonna have kids soon?

Curt James
10-04-2009, 06:27 PM
yes he got in shape again and Damn good for him, but he should do what very few others are smart enough to do, Leave the game with your head held high and your reputation even higher,
jay knows marketing and his name at the top will allow for more business than if he comes back and loses it.

An excellent argument for retirement.

Jay has three Mr. Olympia titles and this one marks him as the ONLY Mr. O to lose the title and then win it back. That has never happened before. Sergio lost it to Arnold and never got it back. Samir lost it and was never Mr. O again. Jay is in good company as a three-time titleholder as well.

Retire, guest pose, continue marketing Jay Cutler, raise a family, be the legend.

Silidons
10-04-2009, 06:35 PM
I think he should retire, just for his mind. If he comes in next year, and doesn't win it, I think it's going to fuck him up in the head! Then he'd want to come back next year...etc.

I would rather retire while on the top.

Shadow
10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
He should at least have one more go at it.

Curt James
10-04-2009, 06:39 PM
I think he should retire, just for his mind. If he comes in next year, and doesn't win it, I think it's going to fuck him up in the head! Then he'd want to come back next year...etc.

I would rather retire while on the top.

Plus I don't think he has anything left to prove. He outlasted Ronnie, had a controversial win against Victor, and with the 2009 Olympia has destroyed the doubters and proven he's a deserving Mr. Olympia.

He can still get in razor sharp condition and guest pose as the three-time Mr. Olympia for the next five to ten years if he wants to. Retire a champion.

I suppose a true champion doesn't factor in the risk that he may lose and the thought of "going out on top" but it would be a smart business decision, imo.

wolverine565
10-04-2009, 06:42 PM
there is a lot at risk to try for one more year

HUMBLE PIE
10-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I would love to see him compete for another year. What he did at the O after everyone wrote him of, was spectacular. But it would be hard to repeat that, he'll be under even more pressure and it's been shown in past shows pressure can be his biggest enemy. Would be better to go out at the top.

Biggie973
10-04-2009, 07:40 PM
I like to see him compete again. When Jay's on, no one can beat him.

JamesWebb
10-04-2009, 07:49 PM
did you see him this year? obvi choice to come back for another next year.

LayItDown
10-04-2009, 07:52 PM
he's reached his 3 and 3 already. too many times you see athletes hanging around for too long and dont get to leave on their own terms. i think he has done everything he could possibly do in this great sport and already has a great legacy waiting behind him when he finally does decide to hang em up. but word has it he already decided to come back!

crashcrew56
10-04-2009, 07:54 PM
He should get out now, he did awesome at the Olympia and should call it now when he's on top and not when he's broken down

Patrick
10-04-2009, 08:09 PM
I read somewhere that Kerry wants kids ,Jay is 36 so Kerry may be around 30 .He has nothing else to prove .

TigerUpperCut
10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
hes still young keep competing if you love it

Orca
10-04-2009, 08:42 PM
he's reached his 3 and 3 already. too many times you see athletes hanging around for too long and dont get to leave on their own terms. i think he has done everything he could possibly do in this great sport and already has a great legacy waiting behind him when he finally does decide to hang em up. but word has it he already decided to come back!

I read somewhere that Kerry wants kids ,Jay is 36 so Kerry may be around 30 .He has nothing else to prove .

^THESE^

They met in High School so she's closer to his age. And that age means if they want kids now is the time.

Last I heard though was back in 2008 -if he won his third in a row that year, he had agreed to stop so they could have kids. He lost, of course, and he came back in 2009 -as we know.

I didn't hear anything about their plans this year. Only speculation from third parties.

Jude2
10-04-2009, 08:53 PM
I think he should compete one more time, then retire. It is nice to go out on top, so we shall see.

Ryan Wacht
10-04-2009, 09:08 PM
As long as he's making a ton of dough off it, I think he'll stay in the game. Not that this is the only factor, but it certainly is an incentive.

Womanthrower
10-04-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm thinking 5 Sandows is a nice round number.

Aaron Singerman
10-04-2009, 09:14 PM
compete...

Jacquester
10-04-2009, 09:52 PM
He should announce nothing, guest pose- etc. milk it for all it's worth over the next year and retire just before the O sealing history.

Manavs
10-04-2009, 10:00 PM
what does he have better to do? moved to florida and go play golf? keep competeing!

Curt James
10-04-2009, 10:30 PM
He should announce nothing, guest pose- etc. milk it for all it's worth over the next year and retire just before the O sealing history.

You, sir, are a strategist of note! :beerbang:

what does he have better to do? moved to florida and go play golf? keep competeing!

haHA :D Coming from you, this is a puzzling comment!

powerbeast
10-04-2009, 10:49 PM
He's got gas left in the tank. He should keep it going.

Manavs
10-04-2009, 10:54 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

haHA :D Coming from you, this is a puzzling comment!

Curt, always nice to see your paying attention to my comments, and yes if he needs lessons, lemme know Jay :yep: ill hook you up!

i just have no idea where we're going to find a pair of sans-a-belts that fit his thighs.

http://static.stuff.co.nz/1247722311/035/2601035.jpg

Aaron Singerman
10-04-2009, 10:56 PM
At the Olympia Superstar Seminar, Bob Chick asked this question to Jay, and Jay said he would be back for number 4.

DICE
10-06-2009, 01:36 PM
nooooooooo... retire.please.

ProtoType
10-06-2009, 01:48 PM
nah if u can look like that why retire? go for an even number of 4 and then quit ..

Steve_Colescott
10-06-2009, 01:56 PM
He needs to break out of the three-O wins pack to elevate himself above Zane and Oliva (not that that is shabby company).

ProtoType
10-06-2009, 01:58 PM
^
^
^------ agreed

Sandpig
10-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Kurt, that pic you posted is awesome!

NATURAL-1987
10-06-2009, 03:48 PM
He had one spot on his mantel, now he will have to build a new one.I dont think he wants to do that. For real though, retire. Dont say you will though, do what Ronnie does so he still gets $5000/ guest pose because people think he is still the old Ronnie just off-season. I think he can win a couple more O's but really I would retire on top. Ronnie was an exception because he was an 8 time Mr.O. But we all know what he looked like his last show. If Jay showed up with half a lat missing I dont think he would be given as much respect as he would if he retired now.

Curt James
10-06-2009, 05:43 PM
He needs to break out of the three-O wins pack to elevate himself above Zane and Oliva (not that that is shabby company).

^
^
^------ agreed

Pro: Continuing to compete will allow him more opportunity to win the big prize money, solidify his legend status in the sport (if he continues to win, of course), allow him to further enjoy competition (duh), and make him more appealing as an athlete to sponsor.

Con: He will never again have the opportunity to be the Mr. Olympia who was unseated, regained the title, and retired on top.*

Okay, I suppose he could lose the title in 2010 and then come back to regain the title again in 2011 but it wouldn't have the same BOOM to it, imo.

He needs to secure his position as a Mr. Olympia with business sense (going out a winner has to be more marketable than losing the title and slinking into history) while at the same time afford himself the chance to appear magnanimous:

"Yes, I am retiring to allow these young guns the opportunity to take the spotlight! Oh, sure, I could continue to destroy their hopes and dreams, but, hey, that's not the kind of Mr. Olympia I am."

Kurt, that pic you posted is awesome!

Thank Flex magazine. Who was the photographer? I agree, though, insane! :bowdown:

Congratulations to
Jay Cutler,
Mr. Olympia 2009!

:beerbang:

ProtoType
10-06-2009, 06:58 PM
hmm good points curt!!!! now i guess that once u win the olympia u should retire. do you think dex should retire,? i mean his physique is to a point where its perfect and still get beat .

csnut18
10-06-2009, 07:03 PM

I hope he can after being on cycle for over a decade, with no break at all. Thankfully for Jay, the body is quite resilient.

Curt James
10-06-2009, 07:10 PM
hmm good points curt!!!! now i guess that once u win the olympia u should retire. do you think dex should retire,? i mean his physique is to a point where its perfect and still get beat .

I don't believe Dex should retire. Jay doesn't have to either, of course.

I'm just looking at it from the perspective of legend status. That and six bucks can get you a latte?

Seriously, that status can mean dollars in his pocket. Maybe? Going out on top just has a great ring to it. A winner!

Jay is a multiple Olympia winner. He hit is three-O goal. He did the undoable in winning back his title. He could raise a family now and still maintain his title of ambassador for bodybuilding. In fact, he could grow the Cutler brand on the basis of being someone like an Arnold, who went out as a winner.

Don't you believe that had Arnold lost the 1980 Olympia that it would have tarnished his reputation on some level?

Look at Haney. He left the stage in one piece and is respected for it. Alternatively, we have a Kamali who is past his expiration date in many people's eyes. :(

I know who I'd rather be compared to. :beerbang:

ProtoType
10-06-2009, 07:15 PM
lol arnold shouldve lost that one but thats a differrent story....
im lookin at it as in a boxing sense, winner gets title winner defense title,
not winner wins title then retires.. boooooo boring.

Curt James
10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Cutler's first Olympia was in 1999. He has five 2nd places and three Sandows. This title winner has nothing to prove.

http://musclememory.com/magCovers/mmi/mmi309.jpg

DECABEATZ
10-06-2009, 07:37 PM
He has to compete ,not that he has anything left to prove, just do it till u cant be competitive anymore i say! If he didnt win it i would say hang it up!

Shadow
10-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Cutler's first Olympia was in 1999. He has five 2nd places and three Sandows. This title winner has nothing to prove.

http://musclememory.com/magCovers/mmi/mmi309.jpg

LOL, I've got that issue.

Ryan Wacht
10-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Almost perfect you mean, unless you consider small calves the ideal for a top bodybuilder.

Ryan Wacht
10-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Pro: Continuing to compete will allow him more opportunity to win the big prize money, solidify his legend status in the sport (if he continues to win, of course), allow him to further enjoy competition (duh), and make him more appealing as an athlete to sponsor.

Con: He will never again have the opportunity to be the Mr. Olympia who was unseated, regained the title, and retired on top.*

Okay, I suppose he could lose the title in 2010 and then come back to regain the title again in 2011 but it wouldn't have the same BOOM to it, imo.

He needs to secure his position as a Mr. Olympia with business sense (going out a winner has to be more marketable than losing the title and slinking into history) while at the same time afford himself the chance to appear magnanimous:

"Yes, I am retiring to allow these young guns the opportunity to take the spotlight! Oh, sure, I could continue to destroy their hopes and dreams, but, hey, that's not the kind of Mr. Olympia I am."

Thank Flex magazine. Who was the photographer? I agree, though, insane! :bowdown:

Congratulations to
Jay Cutler,
Mr. Olympia 2009!

I don't think his sponsers would pay him as much though, if he chose to retire.

Curt James
10-06-2009, 09:34 PM
I imagine sponsors are a factor. Anyway, it's a moot point as didn't someone say that Jay stated he would be competing in 2010 already?

Anyone interested in the following poll: Should Jay use his Mr. Olympia comeback win momentum to his advantage and compete in the 2010 Arnold Classic?

ANADROLicfreak
10-06-2009, 09:35 PM
jay wont do the arnold again.

MaverickMan
10-07-2009, 12:06 AM
If he can bring the form he brought this year, then I don't see anyone touching him next year either (and possibly the year after). Jay certainly shut my mouth!