PDA

View Full Version : USA's Top Oly Lifter Busted

BrotherIron
10-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Norik Vardanian, USA's top lifter and son of the GREAT Yurik Vardanian, popped positive for weed and has been removed from the USA's World Team.

Norik's father Yurik is considered ,by most oly coaches and lifters, to be the greatest lifter of all time.

With Norik's removal, Caleb Willams, who was 8th in the US, moved into the 7th slot placing him on the World Team. Caleb's fiance, Kelly Rexroad, is 4th in placing and locked in a spot on the Team.

BrotherIron
10-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Also, about 1/2 if not half of the lifters going to Worlds for the US is from GA. They either lift for Team Savannah or Team Coffee's. What does that say about GA? It would appear if you want to learn Oly Lifting, GA is the place to be.

Ninja Loco
10-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Valesi Alexiev is not considered the greatest?

BrotherIron
10-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Valesi Alexiev is not considered the greatest?

Nope, not lb for lb. Here is an excerpt about the great one. He competed as an 82.5kg lifter and had a 400kg total.

..........."The peak of his sports career definitely was at Olympics in Moscow in 1980 when he set a phenomenal 400 kg world record in total on the two lifts. Vardanyan's total in Moscow would have earned him a gold medal in either of the next two higher weight classes. This record remains unbeaten even nowadays, over 30 years after the Olympics in 1980."

Ninja Loco
10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Next two higher weight classes........ wow.

So why is Alexiev so widely talked about? Or maybe he's just general and not a huge part of Oly lore as we're led to believe.

GirlyMuscle
10-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Weed? Oh yeah....thats a real performance enhancing drug right there...

BrotherIron
10-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Next two higher weight classes........ wow.

So why is Alexiev so widely talked about? Or maybe he's just general and not a huge part of Oly lore as we're led to believe.

Alexiev is ONE of the greats but I think he isnt as great as made out to be. He was an asshole to be quite honest with you. He told the Russian coaches he could train himself better than anyone else could and his multiple world titles would seem to prove he was right. He would come and train when he wanted and do as he wanted. All that mattered to the Russian govt was the fact he kept winning and he did just that for a long time. He dominated for a decade and his air of mystery is what I think makes him the talk of the town.

Here is someone who I feel is more impressive imho than Alexiev:
Inspirations and Heroes as a Strength Athlete - RX Muscle Forums

BrotherIron
10-08-2009, 04:05 PM

Believe it or not the majority of Oly Lifters smoke weed. It's not about increasing performance. I can't honestly say why most do it.

marcusmucheck
10-08-2009, 04:33 PM
hahaha. jeez. everyone is failing for thc.

is frye still suspended for THC?

marcusmucheck
10-08-2009, 04:33 PM
do other countries test/suspend for marijuana?

BrotherIron
10-08-2009, 05:09 PM
do other countries test/suspend for marijuana?

Other countries don't test for anything. It's common knowledge that the US is rediculous in it's testing. AAS is widely used in Oly Lifting, YES! I said it, and I know it's banned but that doesn't stop coaches and athletes. A famous coach told me; If you're not cheating, you're not trying. This is common practice amoung coaches in other countries. They will have 15 athletes and all "on". 9 make it through and don't get tested or pop positive and 6 get popped. Guess what, the coach doesn't care b/c 9 made it through. Now let me clarify this, it's not the AAS which makes the lifter. AAS just helps the lifter recover and add as much as 5% to their lifts. It's the recovery which is why AAS becomes necessary. Have you ever seen the Bulgarians train? 5x week for 8-10hours a day. Need I really say more.

BrotherIron
10-08-2009, 05:10 PM
hahaha. jeez. everyone is failing for thc.

is frye still suspended for THC?

I don't know frye. I know the Ga Lifters and John who keep me in the loop on what's going on.

toddbz
10-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Believe it or not the majority of Oly Lifters smoke weed. It's not about increasing performance. I can't honestly say why most do it.

Yeah no kidding!
Probably just helps them chill after hard training sessions.
Hell I know I'm boring as hell when I've done it. Toke toke nap ;P

BrotherIron
10-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Yeah no kidding!
Probably just helps them chill after hard training sessions.
Hell I know I'm boring as hell when I've done it. Toke toke nap ;P

I know why a couple do it. They say it helps them with their appetite since they have a hard time keeping weight on but for the others....:dunno:

Tatyana
10-08-2009, 06:34 PM

I had a one year ban from one of the natural federations in the UK for grass, I am pretty sure it is listed in the IOC/WADDA prohibited list.

BrotherIron
10-08-2009, 06:49 PM
I had a one year ban from one of the natural federations in the UK for grass, I am pretty sure it is listed in the IOC/WADDA prohibited list.

Yes all substances pretty much are banned. You can't have more than 2 cups of coffee without popping positive if you're selected to be tested.

toddbz
10-09-2009, 03:29 PM

Ha! Grass! Haven't heard that term in a while.

I can understand orgs putting it on the banned list simply to keep the door close to other 'drugs', but performance enhancer? I think not.

marcusmucheck
10-12-2009, 07:47 PM
who ya gonna call...the moral police!

BrotherIron
10-13-2009, 12:21 AM
I just want to cleer something up though. Only the USA tests the athletes at the National Level. Other countries allow them to take whatever they want and their governments actually spends tons of money to find ways to beat the drug testing.

rinse
10-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Yes only the US... Stop fucking lying. All the Scandinavian countries test their athletes as well. Both in competition and in training. WADA tests before big international comps also in various countries. But yes some countries have a much easier time and support from the goverment.

BrotherIron
10-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Yes only the US... Stop fucking lying. All the Scandinavian countries test their athletes as well. Both in competition and in training. WADA tests before big international comps also in various countries. But yes some countries have a much easier time and support from the goverment.

I'm not lying. Do you compete in Oly Lifting or train at an Oly Lifting Center? Have you been to a National Level Oly Meet or an International one? Do you train with World Caliber Athletes? Have you spoken to coaches and athletes from other countries? Umm....no, than shut the fuck up and stop trying to tell me what you know nothing about. All major contender countries' governments spend major amounts of $$$ to develop drugs to beat the system as well as ways to not test positive at the International Level. It's widely known that many countries' national level meets go untested.... at least to Oly Lifters.

None of the Eastern European countries test. And guess what, China lost 150 samples of their athletes during the last Olympics which is why they will never hold another Olympics again. Lets see, a bunch of the Greek athletes didn't compete since they would have tested positive at this past Olympics. The Bulgarians are well known for their drug use which is why they are able to train for 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week. Lets see, some of the athletes tested positive also at this year's Pan Am's.

Stick to you bbing shows, and stop showing everyone just how very little you REALLY know when it comes to Oly Lifting.

Just b/c it's stated that certain org test the athletes doesn't mean the testing actually takes place or isn't rigged.

toddbz
10-13-2009, 02:32 PM

Perhaps phrasing this in a different manner would have lent itself more beneficial to the discussion.
Meaning: don't shit in the punch bowl

rinse
10-15-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm not lying. Do you compete in Oly Lifting or train at an Oly Lifting Center? Have you been to a National Level Oly Meet or an International one? Do you train with World Caliber Athletes? Have you spoken to coaches and athletes from other countries? Umm....no, than shut the fuck up and stop trying to tell me what you know nothing about. All major contender countries' governments spend major amounts of $$$ to develop drugs to beat the system as well as ways to not test positive at the International Level. It's widely known that many countries' national level meets go untested.... at least to Oly Lifters.

None of the Eastern European countries test. And guess what, China lost 150 samples of their athletes during the last Olympics which is why they will never hold another Olympics again. Lets see, a bunch of the Greek athletes didn't compete since they would have tested positive at this past Olympics. The Bulgarians are well known for their drug use which is why they are able to train for 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week. Lets see, some of the athletes tested positive also at this year's Pan Am's.

Stick to you bbing shows, and stop showing everyone just how very little you REALLY know when it comes to Oly Lifting.

Just b/c it's stated that certain org test the athletes doesn't mean the testing actually takes place or isn't rigged.

I most certainly know a lot of people that does compete in Oly lifting and I compete in powerlifting not bb. I live in Sweden and here the athletes get tested. The thing that you outright lied about was that only the US tested their athletes which isn't true. I'm not dumb I know what does on in most big countries but your statement was WRONG. And you don't know a fuck about what competitions I have been to do you? No, so shut the fuck up. I have been to national and international comps. You should stop making stupid assumptions you look ignorant doing it.

It isn't just the US against the world. Everybody else gets to use when ever they see fit and the US gets tested all the time. It's not true. There are more countries in the same boat as the US.

BrotherIron
10-15-2009, 02:41 PM
I most certainly know a lot of people that does compete in Oly lifting and I compete in powerlifting not bb. I live in Sweden and here the athletes get tested. The thing that you outright lied about was that only the US tested their athletes which isn't true. I'm not dumb I know what does on in most big countries but your statement was WRONG. And you don't know a fuck about what competitions I have been to do you? No, so shut the fuck up. I have been to national and international comps. You should stop making stupid assumptions you look ignorant doing it.

It isn't just the US against the world. Everybody else gets to use when ever they see fit and the US gets tested all the time. It's not true. There are more countries in the same boat as the US.

I'm not going to make this a pissing match. You live in Sweden and compete in another sport. You don't know what the major contenders do testing wise, the Russians, Bulgarians, Germans, and the Chinese.

I have already said that just because testing is supposed to take place it doesn't mean that it does. People swap out others piss. Athletes don't inform the testing bodies where they will be during their offseason, etc, etc. The list is quite long.

Moreover, I'm well aware it isn't the US against the world. Quite honestly it's our own dumb fault that we elected certain ppl to run Olympic Weightlifting here in the US. 10 years ago, athletes got 2k/month so they could train fulltime and focus on winning and now athletes only get $500/month and can't get by without having a 9 to 5 job to support themselves. It's a helluva lot harder to try to excel in something when a huge portion of your time is taken up elsewhere.

Also, when I say international meets and national ones I referring to Oly meets not any other ones. I have had the oppurtunity to coaches from other countries and train with one of the most recognized oly weightlifting coaches of our time; John Coffee. And anyone who's into Oly Lifting knows who John Coffee is.

rinse
10-15-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm not going to make this a pissing match. You live in Sweden and compete in another sport. You don't know what the major contenders do testing wise, the Russians, Bulgarians, Germans, and the Chinese.

I have already said that just because testing is supposed to take place it doesn't mean that it does. People swap out others piss. Athletes don't inform the testing bodies where they will be during their offseason, etc, etc. The list is quite long.

Moreover, I'm well aware it isn't the US against the world. Quite honestly it's our own dumb fault that we elected certain ppl to run Olympic Weightlifting here in the US. 10 years ago, athletes got 2k/month so they could train fulltime and focus on winning and now athletes only get $500/month and can't get by without having a 9 to 5 job to support themselves. It's a helluva lot harder to try to excel in something when a huge portion of your time is taken up elsewhere.

Also, when I say international meets and national ones I referring to Oly meets not any other ones. I have had the oppurtunity to coaches from other countries and train with one of the most recognized oly weightlifting coaches of our time; John Coffee. And anyone who's into Oly Lifting knows who John Coffee is.

Only thing I didn't agree with was that ONLY the US test their athletes.

And I have been to international and national meets in Olympic lifting.

Again I think it's kind of stupid to "fight" over something we pretty much have the same opinion on. So sorry for being rude before.

BrotherIron
10-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Only thing I didn't agree with was that ONLY the US test their athletes.

And I have been to international and national meets in Olympic lifting.

Again I think it's kind of stupid to "fight" over something we pretty much have the same opinion on. So sorry for being rude before.

No worries bud.