PDA

View Full Version : 44 Year Old Lifetime Drug Free Powerlifter Totals 2340

triceptor
10-08-2009, 06:34 PM
My good friend Wade Johnson is a career drug free PowerLifter and Olympic Lifter. At 44 years old he continues to get stronger. Here are some vids of his most recent competition.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ax0ovDLQHMo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ax0ovDLQHMo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/atSbV6W2jn0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/atSbV6W2jn0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/emneuyDHrCk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/emneuyDHrCk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

BrotherIron
10-08-2009, 06:51 PM
I've been preaching forever if you want to get "cock strong" you gotta oly lift. Good for him and his accomplishments.

crashcrew56
10-08-2009, 07:04 PM
That's awesome

triceptor
10-08-2009, 07:11 PM
I've been preaching forever if you want to get "cock strong" you gotta oly lift. Good for him and his accomplishments.

Wade is a big fan of Olympic lifting and coaches as well. He's one of the most generous and supportive guys I know when it comes to strength sports. He used to lug his Mono-lift from Nashville to Louisville for little PL competitions just so we could have a squat event and not the typical push-pull event.

He is going to be hosting a show about strength training that my production company will be producing once the new SHOUTcast channel is in full effect.

Ironman19871
10-08-2009, 08:26 PM
=Wooo SHOUTcast!!!!Radio Show gets better every week, Carl, Can't wait for another one.

bigwade
10-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I have also competed in Strongman. I'm looking forward to working with Carl. This is something we've discussed alot over the last year.

Thad
10-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Good job, I was very impressed with that double overhand DL.

Rattbones
10-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I have also competed in Strongman. I'm looking forward to working with Carl. This is something we've discussed alot over the last year.

Congrads Wade, those are good lifts

Why do you go sumo on your dl?

robert da strongman
10-09-2009, 10:38 AM
impressive!

TheTransformator
10-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Very impressive...

BrotherIron
10-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Indeed. Did you hook grip that weight?

triceptor
10-09-2009, 01:52 PM

Indeed. Did you hook grip that weight?

Wade does use the hook-grip. I've tried it and I can't imagine how anyone does it. It makes my thumbs burn like hell and I feel like they're gonna come right off my hands. Crazy!

bigwade
10-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Yeah, that's hook grip. I dabbled with it for a couple of years but didn't commit till a meet in 05. I warmed up with it and just stayed with it. Once you get used to it, you'll never go back. It hurts to do reps but, it's so much better for me.

BrotherIron
10-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Wade does use the hook-grip. I've tried it and I can't imagine how anyone does it. It makes my thumbs burn like hell and I feel like they're gonna come right off my hands. Crazy!

You gotta hook grip if you Oly lift otherwise you'll never hold onto the weight. I just started using it for deads. I was using the over/under but have sustained injuries due to the imbalance of holding the bar that way.

bad bad leroy brown
10-10-2009, 09:37 AM
That is insane.......truly insane!

bigwade
10-10-2009, 01:38 PM
If you take your time with the grip, it'll get to where it's natural and you'll never go back.

bigwade
10-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Congrads Wade, those are good lifts

Why do you go sumo on your dl?

Sorry, I just saw this question.

Not unlike the hook grip, I have dabbled with the sumo for years but, I never had the hip, groin and hamstring strength to pull as much as I pulled conventional. Conventional always seemed so natural. I have pulled as much raw and belt as I ever have in gear conventional. I finally just committed to it and thought I'd try and in the suit, my numbers started climbing. It's so much easier on my lower back and hips and for me, with squat being my lift, I couldn't keep beating myself up so bad.

Last year I pulled 672 conventional with no gear or belt hook grip. When I put a suit back on the first real try, I hit 680 and just stuck with. We need to do a show about me going to 700. If I can do it, many others can as well. I'm somewhat unconventional in some ways with training. But, it has worked.

vboissiere
11-29-2009, 02:52 AM
I know I'm late, but just wanted to pay my respect to a true legend in the sport. Awesome lifting Sir!

Irish
11-29-2009, 09:17 AM
You gotta hook grip if you Oly lift otherwise you'll never hold onto the weight. I just started using it for deads. I was using the over/under but have sustained injuries due to the imbalance of holding the bar that way.

Excellent lifting Wade!

I use over and under, when I tried to use the hook grip like you explained I just cannot hold anywhere as near as much weight, should I lower the weight and build up (probably the obvious solution)? What injuries did you get?

tjoe
11-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Awesome!