PDA

View Full Version : Contest color opinions wanted...

CleanDean
10-09-2009, 02:15 PM
After a 9 year layoff from competitive bodybuilding, I have competed twice in the last 18 months (INBF), and have been somewhat positive about my progress to date. In the late 1990's I was in my late 20's and had not a care in the world regarding hitting the tanning booth for 6 weeks prior to a competition. Now I am 39, married with 2 kids, and concerns about skin cancer has me relying solely on competitive tanning products for color leading up to a show. Needless to say, my color on stage has not been good, and I am looking for some advice from other competitors who have the same obstacles regarding this crucial part of stage presentation. I am very fair skinned and at my last show I had applied 3 coats of Pro Tan in the week prior to the show, and did a final light coat of California Dream Tan one hour prior to going on stage. I had a few friends who are very experienced bodybuilders at the last show and they all concurred that my color was still way to light.

My question would be:

Do I go with more applications of Pro Tan in the week prior?

Any other products out there that are better suited for us pasty white guys who will not hit the tanning booth?

I did experiment with Jan Tana products back in the 90's, but I found that they ran way to much when sweating on stage. Any changes in their formulas?

Any input would be greatly appreciated !!!

AVBG
10-09-2009, 02:44 PM
CleanDean checkout pke.com.au

This is what I've used for the last couple of shows. Top quality and they ship to the U.S

tkatmommie
10-09-2009, 03:58 PM
I use JanTana High Def foam. I shave upper body Wed before show, Lower thursday and scrub with JanTana Pre scrub, then friday I shower in the AM, final touch up shave all over, and start putting on tan around 7pm. I apply 4-5 coats through around 10 or 11pm. I wake up and touch up any areas lightly. I use Jantana Glaze about 30 min before going on stage....i let it soak in a bit and then pat it off. I used Muscle Juice this last show and liked it better actually.

I have done multiple coats of Protan the same way, however i prefer the SMELL of Jantana over the Protan (ptan smells like alcohol all thourhg my house/hotel room). I dont do tans all weeks and shower through them , i apply all in one night. I also tan daily in the tanning bed 2 weeks up to the show, do not burn though...and make sure you exfoliate and use the pretan scrub. It corrects your overall PH for the Jantana .

CleanDean
10-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks AVBG. That stuff looks impressive.

tkatmommie,

Thanks. I agree with the odor issues with Pro Tan. The only positive thing I can say about Pro Tan is that I never had it run while sweating.

NATURAL-1987
10-09-2009, 10:56 PM
I used pro-tan up until my last show, then I got a present from a nz friend of mine, the PKE stuff that AVBG is talking about, the contest color actually helps dry you out a lot. Seems like the color looked more natural then pro-tan as well.

CleanDean
10-09-2009, 11:51 PM
used pro-tan up until my last show, then I got a present from a nz friend of mine, the PKE stuff that AVBG is talking about, the contest color actually helps dry you out a lot. Seems like the color looked more natural then pro-tan as well.

Thanks. I just e-mailed the company about making a purchase.

GirlyMuscle
10-10-2009, 12:40 AM

This is what I've used for the last couple of shows. Top quality and they ship to the U.S

Can you post a contest photo of you with that color on?

Sledge
10-10-2009, 12:51 AM

Phil Is a great guy too. Always willing to help out with tanning advice. He's one of the most knowledgeable guys about bodybuilding too. Incredibly ugly and a bit of a poof but a good bloke.
From what I've heard a few of the pros saw his products at the Aust pro show and have started using them.

AVBG
10-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Can you post a contest photo of you with that color on?

sure.

GirlyMuscle
10-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Looks good. How many coats did you do?

AVBG
10-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Looks good. How many coats did you do?

4 coats of contest color (applied every 12 hours) with the last one being 18 hours before the show.. Then used a topcoat tan called body shimmer the night before just before bed (only needed a minimum amount of touch up prior to pump up).. As others were frantically applying the topcoat and pumping up and elbowing each other I was relaxing/eating and pumping up.

GirlyMuscle
10-10-2009, 06:41 AM
OK...I'm sold.

What does that Body Shimmer coat do? DOes it look anything like dream tan with the "shimmer?"

AVBG
10-10-2009, 06:59 AM
OK...I'm sold.

What does that Body Shimmer coat do? DOes it look anything like dream tan with the "shimmer?"

It's a top coat that doubles up as posing oil (it's really good because it puts the moisture back into the skin) and theres no need for the spray oils.

Dream Tan is yellow/golden, this stuff is a dark almond like color.

The trick I learned from other competitors was to put it on well before you need to go out on stage (night before the show) so it sinks in. It comes off easy enough in the shower.

GirlyMuscle
10-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Cool....thanks AVBG!

tight booty
10-10-2009, 07:51 AM
My friends used jan tana recently and I was not impressed. It tends to turn orange after a while. The only good thing is that it is not as runny to apply like contest colour. Contest colour, followed by a coat of pro tan on the day looks awesome. Plus, I couldn't stand the smell of the jan tana....but contest colour I can handle no probs.

CleanDean
10-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Any distributers of Contest Colour here in the US?

nutratroy
10-10-2009, 10:32 PM
BigAV- is there a link?

AVBG
10-10-2009, 10:51 PM
http://www.pke.com.au

pow

AVBG
10-10-2009, 10:55 PM

I don't think there's any US distributors but.. I will find out. It can and does get shipped out (make use of the us/aus exchange rate - without the middle man.

Sledge
10-10-2009, 11:18 PM
I shot Phil an email with a link to this thread. Maybe we'll be graced with the presence of tan man :)

MsGuns
10-10-2009, 11:30 PM

Its on this link...
http://www.pke.com.au (http://www.pke.com.au/)

Tan Man
10-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Hey guys, as Sledge has said, I have been involved with BBing for about 30 years & selling my tanning products for 24 of them.
I am only a small company & plan to stay that way.
I hope I don't upset any mods by my self promotion, but I am happy to offer any help to the forum with tanning questions.
My web site is currently being up-graded as we have several new products products to add, like a foaming mousse contest colour & others.
I can give plenty of info if you e-mail me [email protected]
Quite a few Pro's love to use my products. See pics.
So I hope I can help.
Tan Man

GirlyMuscle
10-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Welcome to RX!

Team Franco
10-12-2009, 06:33 AM
If your comfortable with it, and trust the person, I suggest to get sprayed.
I did at my last show and it came out great. One less thing to worry about.

But do your homework to make sure they have positive feedback

NATURAL-1987
10-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Hey guys, as Sledge has said, I have been involved with BBing for about 30 years & selling my tanning products for 24 of them.
I am only a small company & plan to stay that way.
I hope I don't upset any mods by my self promotion, but I am happy to offer any help to the forum with tanning questions.
My web site is currently being up-graded as we have several new products products to add, like a foaming mousse contest colour & others.
I can give plenty of info if you e-mail me [email protected]
Quite a few Pro's love to use my products. See pics.
So I hope I can help.
Tan Man
Philip, Welcome! I used your contest color and shimmer my last show. I like how the contest color looks so natural and drys me out. Then early before pre-judge, I put a thin coat 1/3 bottle and I was 195lbs of shimmer on and blow dry it. I never had compliments about my color before until I did this. Your stuff is the best. I heard you have something new that is similar to the shimmer. What is the difference and what did the guys at the aussie pro use? Thanks for the great product you've created.

Tan Man
10-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the feed back Nat1987.
There is a new product Called Tan Master, I can e-mail you some info if you contact me at [email protected] it to large to post here.
This product is not on my web site as yet.
At the last Aussie Pro Show in 2009, most of the guys used Contest Colour as a base & Tan Master to finish with.
TM

Mick
10-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Phils products are excellent his new formula contest colour goes on great and you dont get that orange haze you do with some. I used the new Tan Master for my comp just gone prefer it over the shimmer.. has a nice dark colour to it. And again goes on and comes off with ease.

Cant go wrong with PKE products

Tan Man
10-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Phils products are excellent his new formula contest colour goes on great and you dont get that orange haze you do with some. I used the new Tan Master for my comp just gone prefer it over the shimmer.. has a nice dark colour to it. And again goes on and comes off with ease.

Cant go wrong with PKE products

Thanks Mick, the secert to Tan Master is don't apply to thick.
You are better to apply lightly & build the Tan up, then apply to heavily & then try to thin out. It does'nt work & looks terrible.
If in doubt always use less.
TM

CleanDean
10-12-2009, 10:26 PM

I got sprayed 3x w/ Pro Tan for a show I did in April. Coverage was good and even, but I was still way too light.

Tan Man
10-13-2009, 12:10 AM
New Contest Colour when applied by spray tanning equipment, only 2-3 coats required.
This is usually enough, otherwise starts to look too dark, can you brlieve that.
TM

NATURAL-1987
10-13-2009, 04:52 AM
New Contest Colour when applied by spray tanning equipment, only 2-3 coats required.
This is usually enough, otherwise starts to look too dark, can you brlieve that.
TM
Thats awesome, speaking of applying it. What do you think is the best way? I put my contest colour in an old pro-tan bottle and did the spray and brush method. I was thinking about putting some in a container and just dipping my brush right into it this time. This is with the old stuff because I still have more then 1/2 bottle left. Is this the best way or should I do the spray brush method again? Or maybe the jan-tana puff things and rub it on like that? Thanks.

Tan Man
10-13-2009, 05:16 PM
There are quite a few ways of applying, air brushing, spraying, small paint brush etc.
The way I prefer is a small make-up sponge (buy from pharmacy or make-up supplies)
Many also use a chux cloth folded over several times. The most popular I believe is a small foam paint roller (buy from hardware store) they are very cheap & can be thrown away when finished with. Helps keep your hands clean as well.
We have just released a CONTEST COLOUR FOAMING MOUSSE on the market and it does not splash, run or spit like the liquid, goes on very easily with a make-up sponge. Ideally suited for traveling, it has a pump action & is handy when applying in hotel rooms where a mess is a big problem.
TM

AVBG
10-13-2009, 06:57 PM
It's good to have you here Tan Man.. Feel free to speak and give advice about your (great) products on the this thread.

Tan Man
10-14-2009, 03:46 AM
Just thought I would post some pics of some Australian users of my products.
Three are only over the last couple weeks & one is in 2006 of James Potter.
Notice how the different lighting effects the final look.

zander
10-14-2009, 04:05 AM
Im a deciple of Tannys products too :D my avatar pic is a day out in sunlight ...

tight booty
10-14-2009, 04:10 AM
There are quite a few ways of applying, air brushing, spraying, small paint brush etc.
The way I prefer is a small make-up sponge (buy from pharmacy or make-up supplies)
Many also use a chux cloth folded over several times. The most popular I believe is a small foam paint roller (buy from hardware store) they are very cheap & can be thrown away when finished with. Helps keep your hands clean as well.
We have just released a CONTEST COLOUR FOAMING MOUSSE on the market and it does not splash, run or spit like the liquid, goes on very easily with a make-up sponge. Ideally suited for traveling, it has a pump action & is handy when applying in hotel rooms where a mess is a big problem.
TM
I love the idea of a foaming mousse and will definitely get this product next time. I am a huge fan of contest colour.

NATURAL-1987
10-14-2009, 04:44 AM
TM
You truly are "tan man". I would suggest putting this info up on the site as well. When will all the new products be on the site?

SENNA1
10-23-2009, 04:30 AM
I got sprayed 3x w/ Pro Tan for a show I did in April. Coverage was good and even, but I was still way too light.

:)I've used 3*Pro Tan myself! Great colour!Happy with it...

flaccid_member
10-23-2009, 08:19 PM

Agreed, Joe. Some people that claim to do a quality "spray tan" sometimes don't use a dark enough spray. They also don't advise the competitor properly (showering, exfoliating, shaving, waxing and ph levels of the individual can all affect color).

Personally, I do 4 weeks of base tanning. Then I follow up with 1-2 large bottles of ProTan and, beginning Wednesday night, add 1 layer. I will do the same Thursday & Friday morning and night and a final coat early Saturday morning.

I exfoliate Wednesday and remove all hair beforehand. (Nair sucks, but it works for me...:no:)

I do 1 shower Thursday morning or Thursday afternoon as any and all hard workouts cease for me after this.

ProTan works for me and many others, but I am Filipino, so it appears "natural" on me (along with a base tan in a tanning bed).

I like Dream Tan and Jan Tana, but they don't suit my skin or my complexion. I might give Competition Colour a try and see how it works out. :yep:

I love the idea of a foaming mousse and will definitely get this product next time. I am a huge fan of contest colour.

The foaming mousse is huge for Jan Tana. I will give this a try and do a review on Competition Colour down the road. I prefer the liquid version, so I'll prob get my hands on a few bottles. :flex: