PDA

View Full Version : Mike and Paula's Journal of Life, Love and Ever-Changing Goals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Mac
02-10-2010, 02:24 PM
I would do the August show. That way you are ripped all summer long.

gman
02-10-2010, 02:31 PM
I would do the August show. That way you are ripped all summer long.

smart man...always thinking of the ladies...that's why you get all the girls! :p

Baldiewonkanobi
02-10-2010, 02:47 PM
First show August IMO. That way you can hit a pre show plateau around lets say 185ish. Assess situation. Then about 90 days out June 1st it becomes crunch time. Your 179 goal is then in site and doable. I am doing a 120 day out from the Mr. MB show assesment approx. March 1st and I can tell you now...I WILL NOT BE HAPPY. :mad:

Baldie

gman
02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys, I have printed the entry form out and am sending in this week...commit, commit and commit!

Baldie, I am afraid 170 is the goal, but still, it will be so much easier to get to it if I start at 185 instead of 215!

Mac
02-10-2010, 03:26 PM
smart man...always thinking of the ladies...that's why you get all the girls! :p

:no:

Just one girl for me.

Hi honey! [she's reading this I am sure ]

gman
02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
nice deflection...

gman
02-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Just figured out why we are having NPC shows here all of a sudden...the new chairpersons of the state NPC own a gym in Virginia Beach. East Coast Gym

gman
02-10-2010, 04:52 PM
My next step is to determine whether to enter open middleweight (154 1/4-176 1/4) and master's 40-49, or just master's alone.

I think I will do both. I can be close to the top of the middleweight class I think, which will be a good advantage.

Master's has no weight classes.

Any advice would be appreciated!

AnglicanBeachParty
02-10-2010, 04:58 PM
My next step is to determine whether to enter open middleweight (154 1/4-176 1/4) and master's 40-49, or just master's alone.

I think I will do both. I can be close to the top of the middleweight class I think, which will be a good advantage.

Master's has no weight classes.

Any advice would be appreciated!

If my experience is any guide, you would want to stay away from the Open MW class for your first contest. For my 2nd contest, I crossed over to the Open LW class, and finished a distant 9th of 9. I should not have been onstage with those guys.

On the other hand, just being up there in a larger class was good experience for having to hold poses longer, because with only 3 Grand Masters, they only needed about 2 seconds per pose to see where everyone fit in.

PS - Who repped you recently? Your rep has tripled in a very short time!

esplendido
02-10-2010, 05:02 PM
don't even have to travel...2 more shows in Norfolk to choose from...one in May and one in August! Both NPC.

Advice needed from Baldie/Joe/Rick. do I do May show or August show?

http://www.npcvirginia.com/upcoming_events

Yes.

gman
02-10-2010, 05:02 PM
sledge felt sorry for me!

i have no idea how big this show is ABP, I may be ok in the open. I think I will call the promoter to see what he thinks!

I don't know. The Masters at the Lenda Murray last summer were better than the open guys, and no weight classes. I could end up being the smallest guy in the Masters!

gman
02-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Yes.

Good answer! Never thought of doing both. It would sure get my ass in shape to do both.

gman
02-10-2010, 05:14 PM
assuming some of the same guys compete in my show as in the Lenda Murray, here were the top 5 masters last year

http://www.lendamurraybodybuilding.com/images/masters-winners_qwyi.jpg

gman
02-10-2010, 05:15 PM
the open guys, I guess one from each class, not sure. I am guessing the 2nd guy from the right was the middleweight champ

http://www.lendamurraybodybuilding.com/images/menlineup_8m9b.jpg

gman
02-10-2010, 09:38 PM
food today

2 scoops whey
2 cups cottage cheese
2 scoops of whey,tbsp pb
2 scoops of whey,tbsp pb
3 eggs 1 1/2 c egg whites
1 oz cashews

blu2xtreme
02-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Good answer! Never thought of doing both. It would sure get my ass in shape to do both.

Great idea ....it will keep you out of trouble:p

gman
02-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Would like to eat a pizza sometime this year though! Lol

blu2xtreme
02-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Would like to eat a pizza sometime this year though! Lol

Pizza is over rated ...you could pick it as your special treat in Columbus ...but I could think of better things:p

gman
02-11-2010, 05:28 AM
Pizza is over rated ...you could pick it as your special treat in Columbus ...but I could think of better things:p

Nothing is too overrated if you haven't had it in a long long time.

If I do the May show, I won't get even get a cheat meal in columbus. I will be only 11 weeks out from my show!

Mac
02-11-2010, 06:36 AM
food today

2 scoops whey
2 cups cottage cheese
2 scoops of whey,tbsp pb
2 scoops of whey,tbsp pb
3 eggs 1 1/2 c egg whites
1 oz cashews

I would die if that is all I could eat.

Why do you rely so much on Whey? You should be eating more real foods.

gman
02-11-2010, 06:38 AM
That was way too many calories mactech

one reason I am stuck at 187-188 is I am eating too much

agree on the whole foods for the most part. I got my 25 lb whey shipment yesterday so had to sample it a couple times!

Started off better today

4 eggs and 50 cal low carb high fiber tortilla

Mac
02-11-2010, 06:42 AM
How many calories was that?

What brand of whey protein are you using and why don't you eat more real foods in its place? I use whey to add to my diet for more protein whereas you use it, it seems, as the basis of your protein intake.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-11-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm starving ( I mean I am going F'en nuttzo hungry) too on the following:

Yesterday....

3am 50gm Isopure whey (1 gram carb) teaspoon P nutt butter
4:45 start training.....
6:30 am 1/3 pound ground buffalo burger, 4 eggs scrambled (one yolk), and lg. bowl of black beans
9am 50gm of my whey plus added scoop of All Greens and scoop of psyllium seed
11am chicken breast*
1pm chicken breast*
3pm chicken breast*
5pm teaspoon P nutt butter
6:30 pm one yolk plus 6 egg whites scrambled
* cooked in pineapple juice/dash of BBQ sauce
Ave 4 fish oil caps a day

Mike I would eat my children on your caloric intake. I think a MRI would reveal a second earthly being living within your body. No not preggy just a sci fi thing.

Baldie

Mac
02-11-2010, 07:15 AM
I I think a MRI would reveal a second earthly being living within your body.

This was my thoughts too, how funny.

gman
02-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Sitting on my ass all day takes very few calories!

I will put that in fitday but guessing 1800 mac

Mac
02-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Sitting on my ass all day takes very few calories!

I will put that in fitday but guessing 1800 mac

I do the same thing in my business. In front of the computer all day.

But I have a stationary bike in my office and I just jumped on for 5 minutes doing the equivalents of sprinting. HR hits 160 or so, still breathing hard. Makes me very vascular, my arms look sic after that.

Now its time to eat, 5 whole eggs and 1 slice of whole wheat bread, one small banana. One BIG pot of coffee.

gman
02-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Leg day

one leg leg press: 6 plates total. 13 15 15 15 each leg

sldl: 225 10 8 9 8

split squat 50 lb db in each hand: 10 12 10 10 each side

leg extension one leg at a time: 4 sets each side

45 min cardio in progress

Bob45
02-11-2010, 08:37 AM
The people with a fast metabolism will never understand how little we have to eat to lose fat Mike. I am the same as you. I just added at least 45 minutes of cardio daily at 2300 calories and 230 pounds and haven't lost any fat. I sure don't want to eat less either. If it doesn't come off what do you do? Even more cardio? I am already feeling like I am doing too much. Hang in there and do what you know you have to do.

Mac
02-11-2010, 08:45 AM
The people with a fast metabolism will never understand how little we have to eat to lose fat Mike. I am the same as you. I just added at least 45 minutes of cardio daily at 2300 calories and 230 pounds and haven't lost any fat. I sure don't want to eat less either. If it doesn't come off what do you do? Even more cardio? I am already feeling like I am doing too much. Hang in there and do what you know you have to do.

What kind of cardio are you doing for 45 minutes?

blu2xtreme
02-11-2010, 09:13 AM

I feel for you guys ...would love a fast metablolism too - I gain weight at 1700 cals a day with lifting 5 times a week and cardio 4 times a week.

gman
02-11-2010, 09:31 AM
It's all good...slow fast, whatever!

Just seeing myself in the mirror today in the tight underarmour shirt made me realize how far from ready I am. I don't know whether to be pissed or depressed.

Looking at that, it made me think how mentally ill we must be to do bodybuilding. I have lost almost 30 lbs since October and feel like a failure since I have 20 more to lose to get on stage.

I look awesome for every day life. My dexascan says at 14+-% bf, I am in the 93 rd percentile for 48 year old men, and I am really healthy, and that counts for a lot.

I will be ok, just my somewhat regular bout of being upset! ;)

Mac
02-11-2010, 09:36 AM
It's all good...slow fast, whatever!

Just seeing myself in the mirror today in the tight underarmour shirt made me realize how far from ready I am. I don't know whether to be pissed or depressed.

Looking at that, it made me think how mentally ill we must be to do bodybuilding. I have lost almost 30 lbs since October and feel like a failure since I have 20 more to lose to get on stage.

I look awesome for every day life. My dexascan says at 14+-% bf, I am in the 93 rd percentile for 48 year old men, and I am really healthy, and that counts for a lot.

I will be ok, just my somewhat regular bout of being upset! ;)

Don't judge your success from being ready to step on a BB stage.

gman
02-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Don't judge your success from being ready to step on a BB stage.

that's what I want to do so much though to prove I can succeed at something once in my life!

freebirdmac
02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
that's what I want to do so much though to prove I can succeed at something once in my life!

You've succeeded at a lot of things Mike. I know going on stage is a goal of yours but don't overstate it. You also shouldn't beat yourself up for needing to lose more body fat first. I'd guess a good 95% of the people hitting the stage for the first time went through the same thing. Finding out they had more body fat than they realized. Give yourself credit. A whole bunch of people would be happy to lose 30 pounds over an entire year. You did it a lot quicker.

gman
02-11-2010, 10:14 AM
I am ecstatic at what I have done so far. I thought I needed to get to 175 or so for a show...now I am really convinced it is going to be 165!

50lbs total. No problem!

My mistake was going to the section on here where you post up precontest pics and the judges tell you what you need to work on etc. One guy said he was 8 weeks out and looked great to my untrained eye, and they told him he was way behind!

I was thinking of posting my pics until I saw that!

Mac
02-11-2010, 10:17 AM
freebird said it best.

You should read this about twisted thinking. (http://cnysearch.com/twist.htm) It seems that some of that may apply to you. Please note I suffer from the same issues, at times. I need to remind myself of my accomplishments.

Mac
02-11-2010, 10:18 AM
I am ecstatic at what I have done so far. I thought I needed to get to 175 or so for a show...now I am really convinced it is going to be 165!

I think that you can gain back some of the muscle you lost with your extreme dieting.

gman
02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
don't have time, need to keep dieting! lol

I need to get stripped completely of fat no matter what, then worry about muscle. IMO of course!

gman
02-11-2010, 10:24 AM
freebird said it best.

You should read this about twisted thinking. (http://cnysearch.com/twist.htm) It seems that some of that may apply to you. Please note I suffer from the same issues, at times. I need to remind myself of my accomplishments.

I do think that seeing people in contest shape makes us all think that's what we should look like all the time.

It does get into your head and twists your logic up in a warped way.

Pam knows me and how I am either on a diet or on an anti-diet!

I think the weight I am now is just perfect, maybe 5-10lbs more, and I would be content for every day life.

I just can't get the V-taper, ripped to shreds image of myself out of my head. that's a look for a week or two at a time, not for every day

gman
02-11-2010, 10:33 AM
I do all 10 of those twisted logic things...how do I even function? lol

blu2xtreme
02-11-2010, 10:43 AM
I do all 10 of those twisted logic things...how do I even function? lol

I don't like that list much ...we both have some issues Coach
but we are lovable:hugme:

gman
02-11-2010, 10:44 AM
I don't like that list much ...we both have some issues Coach
but we are lovable:hugme:

I think I must be the only person that does all 10! :hypno:

I agree, we are lovable!

gman
02-11-2010, 10:45 AM
here is the thread...I should not have gone there! If he is behind at 8 weeks out, then I am still 10-12 weeks out!

8 weeks out, Critique Me Please! - RX Muscle Forums

blu2xtreme
02-11-2010, 10:49 AM
here is the thread...I should not have gone there! If he is behind at 8 weeks out, then I am still 10-12 weeks out!

8 weeks out, Critique Me Please! - RX Muscle Forums (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?p=863470#post863470)

Your legs are way better ...he's just a bigger guy over all

Mac
02-11-2010, 10:55 AM

8 weeks out, Critique Me Please! - RX Muscle Forums (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?p=863470#post863470)

He is more like 10-12 weeks too. His latest pics showed a vast improvement in a week and a half.

This is why I did a mock contest prep in 2008, to see how much time was needed to get stage ready and if I could succeed. I peaked about 2 weeks early, which is not good either.

gman
02-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I see the point, but my point is I am even further out than he is. If he is 10-12 out, then I am 14 out.

I will be ok though because of doing Columbus...when I start contest prep, I will only need to lose 15-20 instead of 50

gman
02-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Your legs are way better ...he's just a bigger guy over all

I don't know what I did to deserve these legs, but I am glad I got them...thanks mom and dad.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
He is more like 10-12 weeks too. His latest pics showed a vast improvement in a week and a half.

This is why I did a mock contest prep in 2008, to see how much time was needed to get stage ready and if I could succeed. I peaked about 2 weeks early, which is not good either.

I believe in these mock preps and also warm up shows. In two weeks I will do a 3 protein mega water days followed by declining water down to sips last day, day 6...no sodium and a slow but steady carb up starting day 4. Day 7 Feb. 27th candy bars and a NO drink then pics. I will be 120 days out and look like CRAP...never the less my eye will tell me a lot. July 4th my warm up show at Muscle Beach, evaluate, then 3 weeks to gitterdone.

Baldie

gman
02-11-2010, 11:21 AM
I believe in these mock preps and also warm up shows. In two weeks I will do a 3 protein mega water days followed by declining water down to sips last day, day 6...no sodium and a slow but steady carb up starting day 4. Day 7 Feb. 27th candy bars and a NO drink then pics. I will be 120 days out and look like CRAP...never the less my eye will tell me a lot. July 4th my warm up show at Muscle Beach, evaluate, then 3 weeks to gitterdone.

Baldie

I want to try that too....need to get way lower bf to make it worth it, don't I?

Mac
02-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I believe in these mock preps and also warm up shows.

I get a kick when reading about someone asking online if they should carb load, and they're competing in a show in 2 weeks.

joedemarco
02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
First show August IMO. That way you can hit a pre show plateau around lets say 185ish. Assess situation. Then about 90 days out June 1st it becomes crunch time. Your 179 goal is then in site and doable. I am doing a 120 day out from the Mr. MB show assesment approx. March 1st and I can tell you now...I WILL NOT BE HAPPY. :mad:

Baldie

I'm with Baldie, Mike. I couldn't have said it better. Hit the August show.

Bob45
02-11-2010, 11:38 AM
What kind of cardio are you doing for 45 minutes?

I've been walking in the woods in back of my house. Lots of hills, ravines, ice. I wear heavy boots. I used my HR monitor. My HR gets to 149 up most hills. Average heart rate is 128 on the walk. Sometimes I also walk my dog at night on our hilly neighborhood too. I Also have a stationary bike.

gman
02-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks, Joe!

gman
02-11-2010, 11:48 AM
this is the pic that got me down....look at the waist area at the lower back...tight clothes suck, don't they?

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w294/namtrag/photo-8.jpg

AnglicanBeachParty
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM

We are the same height. It is hard to judge, but I would not be surprised if you made the LW class cutoff (154.25 lbs) before you were as lean as you want to be.

I was 150 for my contest in July.

blu2xtreme
02-11-2010, 11:53 AM
this is the pic that got me down....look at the waist area at the lower back...tight clothes suck, don't they?

Everyone has bad pics here and there ...you look great in 99% of your pics
If you look great without clothes does it matter what you look like in tight clothes:dunno:

gman
02-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Everyone has bad pics here and there ...you look great in 99% of your pics
If you look great without clothes does it matter what you look like in tight clothes:dunno:

hmmm....yeah those posing trunks don't grab there like the shorts....so I guess I do look better naked, not really sure.

gman
02-11-2010, 11:56 AM
We are the same height. It is hard to judge, but I would not be surprised if you made the LW class cutoff (154.25 lbs) before you were as lean as you want to be.

just trying to figure out the lean body mass thing....I have 167 now...guess it will go down pretty much the same as the fat does. I had lost 18 at the dexascan, 13 fat and 5 lean. so if that goes the same, when I get to 170, I will be 162 lbm.

I haven't been below 170 since I was about 12

But it is what it is. I am really a small framed guy under the fat.

The thought of having to lose 25-30 more lbs has me seriously doubting whether I can make it. In fact, I will say right now, if I have to get to 150, I will quit right now. I do not have the mental toughness to do what I just did all over again.

Mac
02-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I've been walking in the woods in back of my house. Lots of hills, ravines, ice. I wear heavy boots. I used my HR monitor. My HR gets to 149 up most hills. Average heart rate is 128 on the walk. Sometimes I also walk my dog at night on our hilly neighborhood too. I Also have a stationary bike.

Sounds like a great routine. Those hills provide you with the HIIT I think you need to get your metabolism going vs. doing 45 minutes of LISS [ low intensity steady state ] like on a treadmill.

Is this something you just started doing, or you have always been taking these walks in the woods?

It reminds me of the days of being a teenager, walking into the woods during a snow storm, climbing the cliffs and smoking a joint at the top. Then walk back home and go to sleep. :dunno:

gman
02-11-2010, 12:01 PM
we don't have a hill around here. Not one.

Mac
02-11-2010, 12:02 PM

See, that's the entire problem.

gman
02-11-2010, 12:03 PM
made a mistake above, 150 would be 37 more lbs! Not possible in this lifetime

joedemarco
02-11-2010, 12:03 PM

ABP makes a very good point. What's interesting is that you guys are the same height. When I look at pics of ABP, he looks much larger to me then his actual weight because of his proportions and how lean he is. I think you might surprise yourself over the next several months as to what weight class you end up and how lean you can actually get. I think you are only seeing the tip of the iceberg right now, Mike. You are gonna look awesome by August!

gman
02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
ABP makes a very good point. What's interesting is that you guys are the same height. When I look at pics of ABP, he looks much larger to me then his actual weight because of his proportions and how lean he is. I think you might surprise yourself over the next several months as to what weight class you end up and how lean you can actually get. I think you are only seeing the tip of the iceberg right now, Mike. You are gonna look awesome by August!

I can't see it, Joe. I was 150 lbs when I was 10....I just don't see how I can possibly lose 40 more lbs.

I can't even lose a lb now. Been the same weight for 3 weeks.

freebirdmac
02-11-2010, 12:05 PM

Mount Trashmore :)

You still doing intervals Mike?

Mac
02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
just trying to figure out the lean body mass thing....I have 167 now...guess it will go down pretty much the same as the fat does.

No, this does NOT have to be true. Maybe with your keto diet and the rate you have been losing weight.

You can lose fat without an appreciable loss in muscle.

gman
02-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Mount Trashmore :)

You still doing intervals Mike?

kind of hard to do long hilly walks there unless you like going up and down the same 150 ft path over and over!

my cardio has suffered lately, no intervals for a while.

gman
02-11-2010, 12:12 PM
ABP and Joe, I will have to rebut the lightweight thing. I just remembered. I only have 30lbs of bf on my dexascan and it said I weighed 197.

I can't lose to 154 or less because I don't have enough fat!

Thank you Jesus!!!!!!

joedemarco
02-11-2010, 12:12 PM
No, this does NOT have to be true. Maybe with your keto diet and the rate you have been losing weight.

You can lose fat without an appreciable loss in muscle.

Ditto!

AnglicanBeachParty
02-11-2010, 12:27 PM

I agree with this, especially the part I bolded!

I can't see it, Joe. I was 150 lbs when I was 10....I just don't see how I can possibly lose 40 more lbs.

I can't even lose a lb now. Been the same weight for 3 weeks.

When I started working toward my 2008 contest, I weighed 194 pounds. If you had told me that day that I'd step on stage at 152, I probably would have just gone to the Dairy Queen to drown my sorrows in a Heath Bar Blizzard. It's not about the weight. If you keep doing the right things (even if you slow down your pace from what you've done so far, or take a break from it and then go back) you will get to a condition that you are pleased with, regardless of what the scale tells you that day.

ABP and Joe, I will have to rebut the lightweight thing. I just remembered. I only have 30lbs of bf on my dexascan and it said I weighed 197.

I can't lose to 154 or less because I don't have enough fat!

Thank you Jesus!!!!!!

I don't put too much faith in any bodyfat measuring system. I haven't had a dexascan, so perhaps that is more accurate. I do know that during my 2008 contest prep, every time I got my bodyfat % measured, it was down ... and so was my estimated lean body mass. It was depressing.

Once I got to the contest date, and saw what I really had, it explained a lot ... such as why my lifting numbers were always so weak ...

gman
02-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks, ABP...I just have to keep plodding along. It is what it is unfortunately. When I see a full six pack and can see tendons, I will be getting closer.

I can't slow my pace down any more than it already is. I started on October 5, so it's been 20 weeks, and I have lost 28 lbs. 20 more weeks at that pace and I will be 170, but that will be almost my show date. I actually need to speed up!

Dexascans are very accurate and are used by the NFL to assess players, but that being said, it's what you look like, not what the dexascan says.

Dr Smo has seen me in person and believes 170ish is the stage weight for me based on his stage weight and the fact we are built very similarly. At least this is what I remember him telling me a few weeks ago.

freebirdmac
02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
kind of hard to do long hilly walks there unless you like going up and down the same 150 ft path over and over!

my cardio has suffered lately, no intervals for a while.

Aha!!!

gman
02-11-2010, 12:53 PM
meals today so far

4 eggs and low carb tortilla (5g net carbs)
2 scoops whey after workout, and 1.5 tbsp of pb
2 cups cottage cheese.

Up around 1100 cals so far, just trying to keep it really clean

gman
02-11-2010, 03:19 PM
2 scoops whey, 1.5 oz peanuts.

will eat one more meal today.

I am trying 5 larger meals instead of 6 small ones, just for fun.

blu2xtreme
02-11-2010, 03:22 PM

You really know how to have fun:p

gman
02-11-2010, 03:23 PM
You really know how to have fun:p

cheap thrills.

Bob45
02-11-2010, 03:28 PM

Sounds like a blast!

gman
02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
the alternative was fasting for the next 3 weeks.

blu2xtreme
02-11-2010, 03:39 PM
cheap thrills.

Aren't those the best kind;)

gman
02-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Aren't those the best kind;)

I just want thrills, even if it costs a lot.

gman
02-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey ABP, here's how we figure out a little better how our builds compare.

What did your waist measure at the navel at your last show? Just curious. I think I get down 3" on mine, I will be pretty ripped.

just over 35" right now.

AnglicanBeachParty
02-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Hey ABP, here's how we figure out a little better how our builds compare.

What did your waist measure at the navel at your last show? Just curious. I think I get down 3" on mine, I will be pretty ripped.

just over 35" right now.

I believe it was 29" on contest day. It is 31.5" right now.

gman
02-11-2010, 09:19 PM
I don't believe it's physically possible for my waist to be 29"! I could be wrong.

It will be cool to see each other in person and compare builds.

blu2xtreme
02-11-2010, 09:28 PM
I just want thrills, even if it costs a lot.

Costly thrills are great but you pay the price over and over again .... forever.... some thrills are worth that;)

I don't believe it's physically possible for my waist to be 29"! I could be wrong.

It will be cool to see each other in person and compare builds.

Can't imagine your waist that small - it seemed small when I met you.

gman
02-11-2010, 09:30 PM
36+ in December...not small at all! lol

I do seem to look better in real life. I haven't figured out how come I am like that.

gman
02-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Are there in medium priced ones for a poor guy like me?

Costly thrills are great but you pay the price over and over again .... forever.... some thrills are worth that;)

blu2xtreme
02-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Are there in medium priced ones for a poor guy like me?

Hell your so sexy you could get your costly thrills free:p

gman
02-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Hell your so sexy you could get your costly thrills free:p

me and sexy do not belong in the same post. :hypno:

blu2xtreme
02-11-2010, 10:00 PM
me and sexy do not belong in the same post. :hypno:

As many pics as you take ...I know you look in the mirror
and I know you see sexiness ...you can see it in your eyes now;)

gman
02-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Ok, I am sexy....

what can I say...modest too.

blu2xtreme
02-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Ok, I am sexy....

what can I say...modest too.

Ok ...I feel better now
I can focus on my list now:)

Night coach :hugme:

gman
02-11-2010, 10:05 PM
i only agreed to make you happy so you would do your list.

you believe me right?

HeavyDutyGuy
02-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Dang, your back dB is coming in, nice! And how do you get a 28" waist? Mine was 35" at last years Masters, and I prob had the smallest waist in the supers.. Of course 30" would make me look like Sergio or something, lol.. Anyway, March is almost here- keep burning!

gman
02-12-2010, 05:27 AM
My waist is 35 too! ABP was 29" at his last contest.

35 at 187 is pretty pathetic, but at least it's shrinking!

gman
02-12-2010, 05:50 AM
ok, will be doing shoulders and abs today. If anyone can tell me how to get my abs sore, please let me know.

I did heavy cable crunches, woodchoppers and lots of ab wheels Tuesday night, and my stomach never got the least bit of DOMS...zero.

while today, my hamstrings are already sore from yesterday.

Mac
02-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Mike, why do you feel that you must have soreness in a muscle in order for it to be trained properly? Maybe you just don't get lactic acid buildup in your abs.

I pummeled my abs last night, they're not the least bit sore today, but I am getting the results I want.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Mike, the only reason to do ab work is to have definitive seperated ab plates when you finaly expose them. Ab work also supports your 'core' for heavy lifts. HOWEVER the reverse thought is that heavy work in turn builds great abs. Lifting heavy requires the abs to 'do their thing'.

Enter Joe Antouri. I trained Joe for many shows, Mr. California, Ironman Amature, and other various west coast titles and the Mr. USA...all of which he won at least his weight division. Joe NEVER did abs. He was a believer of the reverse thought regarding abs. He was convinced that if he did direct ab work his waist would widen...unfortunatly the shot showing his amazing abs does not open being a 'bit' file??? but here you can get an idea....

And could Joe ever pose?? One of the all time bests... this is an 11 on the 10 scale for a side chest.

Baldie

gman
02-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Mike, why do you feel that you must have soreness in a muscle in order for it to be trained properly? Maybe you just don't get lactic acid buildup in your abs.

I pummeled my abs last night, they're not the least bit sore today, but I am getting the results I want.

Just thought you had to be sore....I get sore everywhere else, so thought I would get sore in my abs too!

gman
02-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Mike, the only reason to do ab work is to have definitive seperated ab plates when you finaly expose them. Ab work also supports your 'core' for heavy lifts. HOWEVER the reverse thought is that heavy work in turn builds great abs. Lifting heavy requires the abs to 'do their thing'.

Enter Joe Antouri. I trained Joe for many shows, Mr. California, Ironman Amature, and other various west coast titles and the Mr. USA...all of which he won at least his weight division. Joe NEVER did abs. He was a believer of the reverse thought regarding abs. He was convinced that if he did direct ab work his waist would widen...unfortunatly the shot showing his amazing abs does not open being a 'bit' file??? but here you can get an idea....

And could Joe ever pose?? One of the all time bests... this is an 11 on the 10 scale for a side chest.

Baldie

Yeah, that's the theory I was going on up until a few weeks ago. I guess I proved the theory to be correct, I don't know.

That being said, I kind of like working abs like I am. Seems a natural body part for me, ironically enough. Can't see them but they work pretty well.

that guy is sick....makes my legs look like an 8 year old girl's

Can you do a side chest like that in mandatories? I though you had to have your feet next to each other.

gman
02-12-2010, 09:20 AM
ok don't have my little sheet, but will list out the best I can what I did

seated incline front db raises, both hands at once, 30lb db in each hand: 12 11 12 13
seated incline lateral, 20s in each hand (tough as hell when seated): can't remember the reps but i did 4 sets
seated overhead press at max rack, only one 35 on each side (told u I was weak): 10 8
9 7
45 lb plate upright rows: 20 18 18 17
cable rear delt movement (low cable pulley, pull handle with arm at side to the rear) 4 sets of 15 with 60lbs

seated cable crunches, 235 lbs: 10 9 8 10
ab roller: 25 20
new precor ab crunch machine, 100lbs: 3 sets of 15

30 min of cardio

really good day

Mac
02-12-2010, 09:21 AM
My biceps, triceps and shoulders hardly ever get sore and I think I train them hard. My chest and legs almost always are after a workout. But shoveling snow wasted my left forearm and right bicep.

Maybe you should just do abs separately, or do them first, giving them the most concentration you can and do even more sets, with heavier weights. Or do 500 reps spread out like bodyhard does his pushups in the morning. I bet he doesn't get sore anymore from them.

Mac
02-12-2010, 09:26 AM
You have strong abs. Doing 80-90 lbs in a crunch for 10-12 reps is tough for me. But I am also 35lbs or so lighter than you. You think you're a tiny man!!!

HeavyDutyGuy
02-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Now that's a side chest! Note to the peeps whi came into this game post 90.... he's not squatting like he's about to drop a load, chest is high, not hidden away or scrunched down. Legs are still shown to great advantage and so is definition...

gman
02-12-2010, 11:08 AM
My biceps, triceps and shoulders hardly ever get sore and I think I train them hard. My chest and legs almost always are after a workout. But shoveling snow wasted my left forearm and right bicep.

Maybe you should just do abs separately, or do them first, giving them the most concentration you can and do even more sets, with heavier weights. Or do 500 reps spread out like bodyhard does his pushups in the morning. I bet he doesn't get sore anymore from them.

Good idea, maybe that will be a weekend thing, do abs either Saturday or Sunday on a normal week (I have to do arms tomorrow since I missed a day from being sick). I could do heavy ab work that day and then maybe light on Wednesdays or Thursdays.

You have strong abs. Doing 80-90 lbs in a crunch for 10-12 reps is tough for me. But I am also 35lbs or so lighter than you. You think you're a tiny man!!!

187, not tiny, Mac!

I did go heavy on those crunches, but couldn't do as full a range, but it sure hurt more!

Now that's a side chest! Note to the peeps whi came into this game post 90.... he's not squatting like he's about to drop a load, chest is high, not hidden away or scrunched down. Legs are still shown to great advantage and so is definition...

Love that pic...still though, is it legal? Or is that a free pose pic.

gman
02-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Awesome! Just spoke with Heidi Chappell who is the NPC co-chair for Va with her husband Marvin. I had emailed her for her thoughts on crossing over, which shows to do, etc, along with a couple of progress pics.

She said my legs and arms are already close, she said May would be pretty doable if I wanted to try it, but she wants me to come by her gym tonight with posting trunks to see me in person. SHe and Marvin are NPC judges as well and she said they could tell me right away.

they also have posing classes, so I finally may have found a home! It's about 20 minutes each way from my house.

I am going to go over tonight and do arms at their gym and let them inspect me like a head of cattle!

freebirdmac
02-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Awesome! Just spoke with Heidi Chappell who is the NPC co-chair for Va with her husband Marvin. I had emailed her for her thoughts on crossing over, which shows to do, etc, along with a couple of progress pics.

She said my legs and arms are already close, she said May would be pretty doable if I wanted to try it, but she wants me to come by her gym tonight with posting trunks to see me in person. SHe and Marvin are NPC judges as well and she said they could tell me right away.

they also have posing classes, so I finally may have found a home! It's about 20 minutes each way from my house.

I am going to go over tonight and do arms at their gym and let them inspect me like a head of cattle!

How exciting!!! Good for you Mike!

blu2xtreme
02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Congrats Mike ....some dreams do come true

gman
02-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks, Pam! I knew there had to be a bodybuilders' gym somewhere around here! Finally found it.

Today's food:

4 eggs over easy, high fiber tortilla
2 scoops whey, 1.5 tbsp pb
3 boiled eggs, scoop of whey

gman
02-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Congrats Mike ....some dreams do come true

dreaming sometimes does pay off I guess...

AnglicanBeachParty
02-12-2010, 01:35 PM

That is AWESOME!!! You're really on your way now! :yep:

gman
02-12-2010, 02:17 PM
ABP, this is nice. My chiro seems to know it, but doesn't really have time to work with me, so working with judges...what else could be better?

Check out this 440 front squat at Brute Strength Gym (i am friends on facebook, so I get vids like this all the time)

The guy looks about 175 lbs

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1210756028954

gman
02-12-2010, 02:27 PM
One of these days, I am going to have to learn how to front squat! Looks like torture.

esplendido
02-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks, Pam! I knew there had to be a bodybuilders' gym somewhere around here! Finally found it.

Today's food:

4 eggs over easy, high fiber tortilla
2 scoops whey, 1.5 tbsp pb
3 boiled eggs, scoop of whey

Mike, I might suggest that you're taking in too much fat and not enough protein. Don't hit me....

How about 6 egg whites + 1 whole egg for breakfast and 6 hardboiled egg whites and 1 yolk for that last meal?

You're 3 1/2 weeks out and time to cut the fat, brother. You can do it!

gman
02-12-2010, 03:12 PM
I know the fat's too high today...ran out of egg whites at home! Wife is buying my list this afternoon.

Thanks, Rick!

PS

Do you know Marvin Chappell? I googled him and he did compete in some national shows, although at a lightweight class. he cam in 8th in the master's lightweight in the 2007 NPC North America

I believe he is about your age.

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/photos/transferred/bc5477.jpg

HeavyDutyGuy
02-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Mike yes its legal. I don't know where the current side chest thing from... I'm tempted to blame short guys,,,no really it was women,,, emphasizes glutes, detracts from pecs, so can't really see those on most women anyway... it plays to their stronger points, but not males.. Unisex posing has got to fucking go....

gman
02-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Mike yes its legal. I don't know where the current side chest thing from... I'm tempted to blame short guys,,,no really it was women,,, emphasizes glutes, detracts from pecs, so can't really see those on most women anyway... it plays to their stronger points, but not males.. Unisex posing has got to fucking go....

Good to know, I want to do the best side chest I can, and the squatting and not showing your legs or chest off seems really weird.

HeavyDutyGuy
02-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Get some pics of Ed Corney. He's around your height, and practice hitting the shots like he is.. Damn you're going to be good, I can feel it..

gman
02-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Get some pics of Ed Corney. He's around your height, and practice hitting the shots like he is.. Damn you're going to be good, I can feel it..

I just need to BELIEVE IN MYSELF more!

I have improved 100% in that regard, but have another 100% to go!

kicker
02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
How does that math work? lol

gman
02-12-2010, 04:31 PM
well if you believed in yourself 25%, you would need to improve 100% twice to reach believing in yourself 100%!

kicker
02-12-2010, 04:57 PM
That somehow makes sense!

bamazav
02-12-2010, 05:06 PM

Mike, this the gym over on Polar Hall, near Janiff?

gman
02-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Mike, this the gym over on Polar Hall, near Janiff?

On Indian River Road near the bowling alley

Baldiewonkanobi
02-12-2010, 06:07 PM
well if you believed in yourself 25%, you would need to improve 100% twice to reach believing in yourself 100%!

Huh??

How the audits going?

Baldie

gman
02-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Huh??

How the audits going?

Baldie

ok baldie: 25% increases 100%, so now you have 50%

then you increase the 50% 100%, and now you have 100%

clear? lol

audit is going well...finished up a decent 10,000 fee today

bamazav
02-12-2010, 09:17 PM
On Indian River Road near the bowling alley

Turn right at the MacDonalds, I am the first house on the left. The last few really cold mornings I have seriously thought about walking over and seeing if they would give me a day pass.

Mac
02-12-2010, 09:31 PM
finished up a decent 10,000 fee today

Party at Mike's tonight? :yep:

blu2xtreme
02-12-2010, 11:45 PM

He parties :confused:

gman
02-13-2010, 07:11 AM

He parties :confused:

No party until fee is collected, then we have a kegger!

I do party once a year or so Paula

gman
02-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Here's my report on my visit with the Chappells at East Coast Gym:

I got there early to do arms since I am a day behind from being sick on Monday.

I did 4 sets of the following: dips, one db standing overhead extensions (75lber), and bench dips with plate on lap. For biceps I did standing bb curls with 85lbs, and incline db curls with 35 lbs. The gym was very old school! 90% weights, 10 % cardio (2 ellipticals, 1 treadmill, and 4 recumbent bikes). All crammed in about 2000 sq ft in an old strip shopping center. One shower for the men, and just a bathroom for the ladies.

Marvin was cool, he took me around and showed me pics of himself and people he helped that he had up on the wall...he is about 53 I am guessing since he got out of high school in 1975.

He had me go change into posing trunks and then turned the lights down a little so he could look me over. He ran me through the mandatories giving a few tips, but mainly having me do them as best I could...he and Heidi assessed my body parts as we went. The overall assessment is hell yeah! I could be easily show ready in 8 weeks according to Marvin.

Strengths: legs (some comments like, damn you're already feathering at 190, imagine at 170! and, you already have the separation in your hammies, and really good calves)
arms: just said they were coming in nice and I had nice triceps and a good peak). and thick chunky abs that will show great with diet.

Weaknesses: waist too thick (just diet down), lats way to narrow (advised lots of rows of all types to get them bigger), he disagreed with Heidi when she said my upper chest was weak, he said it would come in nice when the bf goes down more. Tie in of hams to glutes was weak too.

Overall they both said I looked great and could do some damage in the May show, plus it's a nice first show because it's a little smaller.

He changed up my posing a lot in just one night. he had me do the side chest like Baldie's pic above (show off legs, turn so waist looks narrower), and had me spread legs on front double bi, and front abdominal. Told me we needed to pose me to show off my calves and legs. He said I was catching on pretty quick.

Forgot to add: he asked me my weight and I told him 188 or so...he said 20 lbs will put me on stage, so 168-170.

gman
02-13-2010, 07:37 AM
He snapped a couple of pics with my iphone at the end, on the front double bi he said I scrunched too much and to really work on being tall and spreading out so I look bigger. Kind of in a hurry so he didn't retake, he had another pupil there waiting!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w294/namtrag/photo2.jpg

gman
02-13-2010, 07:37 AM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w294/namtrag/photo-9.jpg

AnglicanBeachParty
02-13-2010, 07:57 AM
He had me go change into posing trunks and then turned the lights down a little so he could look me over. He ran me through the mandatories giving a few tips, but mainly having me do them as best I could...he and Heidi assessed my body parts as we went. The overall assessment is hell yeah! I could be easily show ready in 8 weeks according to Marvin.

Forgot to add: he asked me my weight and I told him 188 or so...he said 20 lbs will put me on stage, so 168-170.

To have this kind of feedback in person, from a trained NPC judge ... well, it's just gold!

Strengths: legs (some comments like, damn you're already feathering at 190, imagine at 170! and, you already have the separation in your hammies, and really good calves)

Absolutely true. I'm quite jealous.

gman
02-13-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks, ABP...it really was cool to have this guy walk me through in about 15 minutes, and improve my posing 110%. Just that leg thing was so cool...he said ok, put your right foot out, ok, lift your heel and put all the weight on the left leg....BOOM, you could see my leg muscles just pop out like crazy.

I am definitely going to do the May show now. And the August one too!

Forgot to mention, he said he doesn't like cardio, but once you have been doing it like I have, you have to keep doing it.

Just curious, does anyone know what that long almost vertical muscle running from my hip down to my knee is in my right leg? That's pretty sick looking.

tifflex
02-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks, ABP...it really was cool to have this guy walk me through in about 15 minutes, and improve my posing 110%. Just that leg thing was so cool...he said ok, put your right foot out, ok, lift your heel and put all the weight on the left leg....BOOM, you could see my leg muscles just pop out like crazy.

I am definitely going to do the May show now. And the August one too!

Forgot to mention, he said he doesn't like cardio, but once you have been doing it like I have, you have to keep doing it.

Just curious, does anyone know what that long almost vertical muscle running from my hip down to my knee is in my right leg? That's pretty sick looking.

I believe it's the sartorius muscle Mike.

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Sartorius.html

Legs are SICK btw.

Many female competitors use the same pose and imo it shows the legs a lot better.

It's all worth it my friend. Go get 'em!

freebirdmac
02-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Wow! Very cool Mike! So are you going back for more posing lessons?

blu2xtreme
02-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Looking great in the new poses ...you should definitely go back for posing lessons :yep:

gman
02-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Wow! Very cool Mike! So are you going back for more posing lessons?

Looking great in the new poses ...you should definitely go back for posing lessons :yep:

Definitely going back...every Friday except Columbus.

gman
02-13-2010, 09:16 AM
I believe it's the sartorius muscle Mike.

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Sartorius.html

Legs are SICK btw.

Many female competitors use the same pose and imo it shows the legs a lot better.

It's all worth it my friend. Go get 'em!

so my sartorius is already showing...pretty cool, didn't even know I had one.

Thanks for the encouragement!

gman
02-13-2010, 10:38 AM
pics of East Coast Gym:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w294/namtrag/Picture002.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w294/namtrag/Picture001.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w294/namtrag/Picture003.jpg

blu2xtreme
02-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Cool pics and love the new avi...you are getting scary looking:hypno:

gman
02-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Cool pics and love the new avi...you are getting scary looking:hypno:

never saw bb's stored on a rack like that standing on end...probably very old school!

I have been scary looking for quite a while.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
so my sartorius is already showing...pretty cool, didn't even know I had one.

Thanks for the encouragement!

That pose works for you. Did not work for a mutual friend of ours in Pitt if you recall. I love the criss/cross you displayed....cool!!!

Baldie

gman
02-13-2010, 11:07 AM
That pose works for you. Did not work for a mutual friend of ours in Pitt if you recall. I love the criss/cross you displayed....cool!!!

Baldie

Thanks, Baldie...this guy had me posing for about 10 minutes, and he said just in that time I would have moved up at least 2 places just knowing what little he taught me.

He said you draw attention to your killer legs like that, and away from your midsection!

I really feel that some 30 minute private posing classes with him is going to pay off great.

Hey Baldie, he told me to do rows and lots of them and ignore pullups in order to widen my lats. I thought the opposite. Any clues you can give on this?

bamazav
02-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Great looking pics Mike. East Coast is literally a block from my house. The church is across the street next to Pancakes and things. I need to get over there and meet the owners.

gman
02-13-2010, 12:17 PM
you would love it. They had their daughter (about 2), a cat, and everyone knew everyone. I can easily see myself over there training. At $30 a month you can't go wrong. I just wish Marvin and Heidi were there in the mornings, but they come after work every day, and on weekends.

Having Marvin around while you are training would be priceless. Like an old fashioned floor trainer I bet.

bamazav
02-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Is Marvin the one who drives the Big Black Truck with Mr VA 99 plates on it?

Baldiewonkanobi
02-13-2010, 12:52 PM
You have found your new gym. I like it and I like the friendship of the owners. Plus plus. I like rows for widening the back as long as you get a full stretch at the bottom plus 10% and hold for a count of 2 at the contraction. Also favor crusifiction chins done in the power rack. Did I ever post a vid of those?

Baldie

gman
02-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Is Marvin the one who drives the Big Black Truck with Mr VA 99 plates on it?

I am not sure, but probably!

gman
02-13-2010, 02:07 PM
You have found your new gym. I like it and I like the friendship of the owners. Plus plus. I like rows for widening the back as long as you get a full stretch at the bottom plus 10% and hold for a count of 2 at the contraction. Also favor crusifiction chins done in the power rack. Did I ever post a vid of those?

Baldie

I recall that video in the distant past with James and you in it perhaps?

Not remembering exactly what the involve other than a very wide grip in the power rack.

I wonder if I can even do one!

gman
02-13-2010, 02:43 PM
equal time to Hieid Chappell...

http://www.flexonline.com/09contests/09nationals/figure/class_a/heidi_leigh_chappell/images/IMG_1523.jpg

Bob45
02-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Lots of good news in here Mike. Heidi looks hot! The cuts in the legs look great. Walking aroung around with 220+ pounds for years sure helps. Good luck.

gman
02-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks, Bob...I have been doing well on the diet the past 5 days, and this chance meeting has given me even more motivation.

I am down a lb since Wednesday. Life is good.

I will be 12 weeks out from the show on the Arnold weekend. One meal on friday night after the posedown....then back on contest diet.

blu2xtreme
02-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks, Bob...I have been doing well on the diet the past 5 days, and this chance meeting has given me even more motivation.

I am down a lb since Wednesday. Life is good.

I will be 12 weeks out from the show on the Arnold weekend. One meal on friday night after the posedown....then back on contest diet.

No drinks with the boys on Sat. night ...that captain and coke has your name on it:p
Just do a little extra cardio ...it's worth it ...enjoy your weekend :)

gman
02-13-2010, 09:13 PM
ok...you talked me into it...I will diet starting Monday after Columbus! I did want to have a little fun that weekend.

blu2xtreme
02-13-2010, 09:16 PM
ok...you talked me into it...I will diet starting Monday after Columbus! I did want to have a little fun that weekend.

You are so easy ;)

fatbackgoal
02-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Mike you are looking good, go ahead and get the trophy ready for Columbus. I had someone work with me on my posing a few months ago and it made all the difference.

gman
02-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Mike you are looking good, go ahead and get the trophy ready for Columbus. I had someone work with me on my posing a few months ago and it made all the difference.

Paul has it locked up FBG, he actually has all his abs in!

MsGuns
02-13-2010, 10:35 PM
I came online on the BEST day!
Luv the legs Mike!
ROCK the STAGE at your shows!

gman
02-13-2010, 10:40 PM
I came online on the BEST day!
Luv the legs Mike!
ROCK the STAGE at your shows!

thanks, Drex! I plan on winning. No reason I can't!

MsGuns
02-13-2010, 10:47 PM
thanks, Drex! I plan on winning. No reason I can't!

SWEET deal!

gman
02-13-2010, 10:50 PM
20 more lbs...then I will be ready!

Bob45
02-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Mike, I don't want you to lose psyche but.....Please tell these new people the whole picture. Have you explained what you have been through? You have been dieting for a long period with a slow metabolism very low calorie. You have lost quite a bit of strength. Yes you do look fantastic now. Yes you may be 20 weeks out from a big show. I would definitely tell them these things though. It is very important IMO.

You asked the advice of many competitors on here. They told you to wait until August. You were going to stop getting many different opinions. It is hard for someone that just met you to look at the whole picture. I also think August is the better choice. You can find your maintenance calories for a while. Recover from all the low calorie dieting. Get the lost strength back.

Then when the strength is back you can get down to 4-5%. You'll have more muscle. 20 more weeks at the calories you need to be at will definitely make you lose a lot of muscle and more strength. Give it some thought. Just looking out for you buddy.

Mac
02-14-2010, 09:40 AM
I agree 100% with Bob. Dieting for so long at such low calories is not helping you achieve your ultimate goal, maximum muscle with minimal fat.

gman
02-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Bob, actually not everyone said to wait....Rick for one!

I will tell them the whole picture at the new place, but they are one of the few people who have seen me in 3-D.

Going with the local one-on-one advice, I will probably ask everyone on here to not give me advice, I will just use my journal to record how my journey is going.

I haven't been ultra low cal much in this past 20 weeks...just a few spurts of it, which I found extremely difficult.

What I liked about this guy is he said he believes in eating when cutting, and eating a balanced diet.

Promise to be careful and consider all options, but I really did feel that Marvin really knows what he's doing.

MsGuns
02-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Happy Luv Day Mike!

Mac
02-14-2010, 09:58 AM
I will probably ask everyone on here to not give me advice, I will just use my journal to record how my journey is going.

You had better stop reading the forums then Mike if you don't want to read about the experience and opinions of others.

It's not like you need to follow it. What works for me, may never work for you, but then someone else's suggestions might be just for you.

I believe in life outside of our small planet and the opinions of others doesn't sway me from that, but in fact, makes my convictions stronger about what I believe.

gman
02-14-2010, 10:03 AM
I see what you mean, but I tend to agree with everything I read. It's not you guys, it's me.

I change with the slightest breeze. Again, it's a problem I have, it's not caused by anyone trying to help....I appreciate all the advice.

For example...do heavy abs, don't do abs at all, or do them with bodyweight only.

all of them make sense!

Marvin looked at my abs and said if I do them at all, to spend no more than 10 minutes a week doing bodyweight only...time myself and just quit after 10 minutes.

I do know different things work for different people...didn't mean to imply the advice was bad!

Mac
02-14-2010, 10:08 AM
I did not take it as though the advice was bad and to only keep an open mind.

However, someone saying to not do abs at all is bad advice.

There's that breeze again.

Bob45
02-14-2010, 10:09 AM
I was just asking you to make them well informed what you have been through so far. Tell them all the facts. Then they can help you better. If I go to a great doctor and don't tell him all the facts his knowledge won't help me.

freebirdmac
02-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Here's another opinion :D
Use the locals. They see you in real life, they are/have been judges/competitors. I don't know if you can hire them for contest prep or if they're just willing to give occasional advice and posing practice. They may turn out to be not for you, but competitors don't know that until after the fact. Pick a path and then follow it.

I'd also be very, very careful about what you consume at the Arnold. I have a bad feeling about you getting carried away with food and alcohol :)

Bob45
02-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Local and in person is obviously the way to go. As long as they know you and what you have been doing. Which is a lot! Ten minutes won't tell the whole story.

blu2xtreme
02-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Follow your heart ...you know if what your doing will work for you and if this gym will be the place to get you to the next level.

Your to much like me ...you need everyones advice and approval - just weed through what works for ya.

I do know without the support you have gotten here - I doubt you would be this far. I know because I would have given up long ago without it.
Have a great day Coach :)

blu2xtreme
02-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Where are you hiding Mike ...Your journal is never this quiet.
I was worried I would of missed all the fun when I was packing.
This whole forum was pretty quiet - I guess Valentines is a big holiday for bbers;)
You didn't eat to much Valentines Candy did you :p

gman
02-15-2010, 05:52 AM
I did not take it as though the advice was bad and to only keep an open mind.

However, someone saying to not do abs at all is bad advice.

There's that breeze again.

haha, but he did say I worked abs doing squats and deads, so technically you are right!

Here's another opinion :D
Use the locals. They see you in real life, they are/have been judges/competitors. I don't know if you can hire them for contest prep or if they're just willing to give occasional advice and posing practice. They may turn out to be not for you, but competitors don't know that until after the fact. Pick a path and then follow it.

I'd also be very, very careful about what you consume at the Arnold. I have a bad feeling about you getting carried away with food and alcohol :)

I think they do it all, Pam. Don't worry about Columbus, I am not going to go overboard...I really don't even drink much, max of one or two. I plan on having good meals with carbs, not a bunch of fries or nachos! Dessert, may not be able to resist that.

Local and in person is obviously the way to go. As long as they know you and what you have been doing. Which is a lot! Ten minutes won't tell the whole story.

Definitely Bob, they will know my background by the time we get started into it too far

Follow your heart ...you know if what your doing will work for you and if this gym will be the place to get you to the next level.

Your to much like me ...you need everyones advice and approval - just weed through what works for ya.

I do know without the support you have gotten here - I doubt you would be this far. I know because I would have given up long ago without it.
Have a great day Coach :)

I do need a lot of assurance it seems...comes from a lifetime of poor self esteem. I never had any confidence in myself when I was younger

gman
02-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Where are you hiding Mike ...Your journal is never this quiet.
I was worried I would of missed all the fun when I was packing.
This whole forum was pretty quiet - I guess Valentines is a big holiday for bbers;)
You didn't eat to much Valentines Candy did you :p

Spent a lot of time at Mom's...hadn't been over to see her since Christmas, which is inexcusable. She lives about 10 minutes from the gym I visited the other night. In fact that gym is in my old stomping grounds from high school...right by the bowling alley I used to go to.

No valentine candy! But I did eat pot roast, green beans, salad and 2 ginger snaps.

Bob45
02-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Have a good day Mike.

bamazav
02-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Will I see you tonight? (Board meeting). Once I am over this sinus infection, I am going to walk over an meet the folks at EC Gym. Been meaning to do it for a while, now I have some motivation to check it out. I have been working on S.M.A.R.T. certification and want to see if they will let me intern there. ( I have a ministry idea and want some practical experience before implementing)

gman
02-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Have a good day Mike.

Thanks, Bob...have to work today, so not the best day! But will make the best of it!

Will I see you tonight? (Board meeting). Once I am over this sinus infection, I am going to walk over an meet the folks at EC Gym. Been meaning to do it for a while, now I have some motivation to check it out. I have been working on S.M.A.R.T. certification and want to see if they will let me intern there. ( I have a ministry idea and want some practical experience before implementing)

I am going to try to make it tonight, I sure hope I can...it's pretty rough this time of year!

You would be remiss not to go over and check it out! I wish it were walking distance for me!

Make sure you go at night or on weekends, because Marvin and Heidi work other jobs and only are there at those times.

gman
02-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Leg day...pretty tough today.

Squats: 4 sets of 10 at 185
Lateral step ups,: 4 sets of 20 on each leg holding a 75
DB squats, holding dbs at sides...similar to a deadlift: 4 sets of 12 at 100 in each hand
Max rack stationary bb lunges, no bar weight counted, 140 lbs of weight on bar: 4 sets of 10 on each leg.

gman
02-15-2010, 09:41 AM
going to really list my food out until the arnold, need to keep myself honest:

meal 1, preworkout: 1 cup 2% cottage cheese, 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce, stirred together with a pack of splenda

meal 2, post workout: 1 egg, 2 cups egg whites (equivalent of 10 egg whites)

tifflex
02-15-2010, 10:04 AM
going to really list my food out until the arnold, need to keep myself honest:

meal 1, preworkout: 1 cup 2% cottage cheese, 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce, stirred together with a pack of splenda

Hi Mike!

Why are you eating cottage cheese pre-workout?

gman
02-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Usually I eat eggs and egg whites before I lift.

I eat about an hour before I leave to the gym, so it has time to digest.

Not really sure what other people eat. I know Dave's diet doesn't even differentiate between pre, post and other. He says you are cutting, so the normal rules of eating carbs postworkout, etc do not apply. You just eat his 6 meals interchangeably anytime you want.

I would be interested to know what other people do on low carb before lifting.

I am interested to see what Marvin Chappell has me doing when I sign up for contest prep with him

gman
02-15-2010, 11:17 AM
One really good tidbit I got from Heidi Chappell was to order a suit just to compete in, use my current one to practice in. Never wear the contest suit except on contest day.

She said I probably need a different cut of suit as well, but she did not say which one...thinking Brazil cut this time.

buckimscl
02-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Just wanted to check in to let you know I am still alive and kicking. have a good one.

gman
02-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Just wanted to check in to let you know I am still alive and kicking. have a good one.

hey Jim! Great hearing from you bud!

AnglicanBeachParty
02-15-2010, 11:46 AM
One really good tidbit I got from Heidi Chappell was to order a suit just to compete in, use my current one to practice in. Never wear the contest suit except on contest day.

Do you understand the reasoning behind this?

I violate this principle all the time.

Is she thinking that the elasticity will go out of the suit?

gman
02-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Do you understand the reasoning behind this?

I violate this principle all the time.

Is she thinking that the elasticity will go out of the suit?

yes, she said it needs to be perfect condition. and posing practice and stuff will stretch it all out.

I figure for $29, it's worth having a pretty much mint condition suit for contest day!

bamazav
02-15-2010, 12:03 PM
yes, she said it needs to be perfect condition. and posing practice and stuff will stretch it all out.

I figure for $29, it's worth having a pretty much mint condition suit for contest day!

While in no way an authority... Your body has made changes since you first bought it, that will also affect the way it fits. Will the Brazil cut also put more focus on the legs? just a thought.

gman
02-15-2010, 12:21 PM
the big differences between the cuts:

French cut has 3/4" sides, more rear end coverage.
Premier is narrower in front, has 1/4" sides.
Brazil is identical to french in front and sides.
Premier and Brazil are the same in the back.

In summary compared to current suit, Premier would show legs more in front and more glutes from back and side.
Brazil is the same in front but would show more glutes.

gman
02-15-2010, 12:22 PM

meal 3: 2 scoops of whey, 20 almonds

gman
02-15-2010, 12:34 PM
just heard from Heidi...she said to go for Brazil for first show...narrow straps on front and sides of Premier are not flattering to very many people!

so the only difference in the Brazil and the French is the glutes showing more...means I have to start really working them!

tifflex
02-15-2010, 12:37 PM
just heard from Heidi...she said to go for Brazil for first show...narrow straps on front and sides of Premier are not flattering to very many people!

so the only difference in the Brazil and the French is the glutes showing more...means I have to start really working them!

What color are your trunks?

Diet and cardio will show the glutes!

How are you feeling Mike?

gman
02-15-2010, 12:40 PM
What color are your trunks?

Diet and cardio will show the glutes!

How are you feeling Mike?

I am going to go for a dark dark blue this time...darker than my current trunks.

I am feeling pretty good today...too much caffeine though, so I feel a little jittery.

you can go here, and click styles, and colors on the left and you can see the styles and colors I am looking at.

http://www.jagware-posingsuits.com/

I am leaning toward Freedom Blue since blue is my favorite color

Baldiewonkanobi
02-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Which cut Mike?? I have one of their suits from years ago...shinny black/American cut. I'll stay with that....glutes/old men?? :no:

Baldie

Bob45
02-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Too bad we aren't talking women and glutes in here.

gman
02-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Which cut Mike?? I have one of their suits from years ago...shinny black/American cut. I'll stay with that....glutes/old men?? :no:

Baldie

not sure yet! Problem I see now is the cutoff between small and medium is 166lbs.

the ones I have on in my pics are mediums. 20 lbs lighter, seems like they might be baggy in the back, so which size do I get, small or medium?

Too bad we aren't talking women and glutes in here.

you saying my glutes aren't worth talking about????

fatbackgoal
02-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Notice he said "baggy in the back"

And go with a leapord print..unleash the beast!!

blu2xtreme
02-15-2010, 06:46 PM
you saying my glutes aren't worth talking about????

Definitely worth talking about ;)

gman
02-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Notice he said "baggy in the back"

And go with a leapord print..unleash the beast!!

they don't stock leopard print!

Definitely worth talking about ;)

there, that's more like it!

gman
02-15-2010, 06:52 PM

meal 4: 2 scoops of whey, 2tbps of pb

Meal 5: 12oz canned chicken. (320 cal)

BEAST MODE
02-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Wheels are lookin awesome in your avi G!

gman
02-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Wheels are lookin awesome in your avi G!

thanks rich!....look at post 5170-71 for the story behind the pose.

photobucket zapped my front abdominal shot in 5172 for obscenity, go figure.

blu2xtreme
02-15-2010, 07:17 PM
thanks rich!....look at post 5170-71 for the story behind the pose.

photobucket zapped my front abdominal shot in 5172 for obscenity, go figure.

post 5172?
I did not see a pic ...yes i went to look;)

gman
02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
5130-5132

blu2xtreme
02-15-2010, 07:27 PM
5130-5132

Too funny ...I guess they thought you were a perv:hypno:

gman
02-15-2010, 07:33 PM
same lower body shot as the front double bi above...very weird they'd delete one and not the other

gman
02-15-2010, 09:21 PM

meal 4: 2 scoops of whey, 2tbps of pb

Meal 5: 12oz canned chicken. (320 cal)

Meal 6: loved it so much I had Meal 1 again, but an extra 1/2 c of cottage cheese.

zero cheating today...not even a nibble extra.

blu2xtreme
02-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Great job on the food and no nibbling ...and nibbling is so enjoyable:p

Meal 1 looks good - will have to give it a try:)

gman
02-15-2010, 09:42 PM
it is really yummy, next time I will mix some cinnamon in.

blu2xtreme
02-15-2010, 09:45 PM
it is really yummy, next time I will mix some cinnamon in.

I love cinnamon :drool:
Since I'm bulking I will add cinnamon and walnuts :)

gman
02-15-2010, 09:55 PM
I love cinnamon :drool:
Since I'm bulking I will add cinnamon and walnuts :)

yummy...I can eat that too...just not very many walnuts.

gman
02-16-2010, 06:06 AM
186.2 today on official weigh in day...that's 2 days in a row in the 186 range, so I think it's official.

Remember, this is on my scale which is about 3-4 lbs lighter than the doc...but it's consistent...I weighed 215 on it when I started. Almost 29 lbs now.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Mike I was serious about sugar free JELLO. I believe close to zero calories and jummy. Helped me take the crazies away several times. Celery sticks. Slice or two of cucumber soaked overnight in Balsamic vinegar. All near zero.

Chef Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
02-16-2010, 07:51 AM
186.2 today on official weigh in day...that's 2 days in a row in the 186 range, so I think it's official.

Cool! Keep up the great work.

freebirdmac
02-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Wow! 186!!! Way to go Mike! :yep:

bamazav
02-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Way to go Mike, you are almost there. Missed ya last night.

blu2xtreme
02-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Your doing great Mike ...can't wait to see how great you look in person in a few weeks.
Are you going back to that gym again Friday night?

gman
02-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Mike I was serious about sugar free JELLO. I believe close to zero calories and jummy. Helped me take the crazies away several times. Celery sticks. Slice or two of cucumber soaked overnight in Balsamic vinegar. All near zero.

Chef Baldie

we have a larder full of sugar free jello, I like mixing 2 flavors together. Need to start making it again...i think it's about 20 calories for the whole box

Cool! Keep up the great work.

Wow! 186!!! Way to go Mike! :yep:

Way to go Mike, you are almost there. Missed ya last night.

only 18 to go for my show!

Your doing great Mike ...can't wait to see how great you look in person in a few weeks.
Are you going back to that gym again Friday night?

definitely going back Friday. Going to join that night too

gman
02-16-2010, 09:41 AM
chest day...shoulder hurt again and I was weak as I could be on top of it

Decline flys, 40 lbers: 22 15 12
decline pushups: 36 40 40
flat bench off power rack at sticking point, 185: 3 5 4 ( I really am a weak guy)
flat flys, 55's: 12 9 8
Incline machine, precor, neutral grip: 11/100 11/110 10/110 7/120
incline flys, 45's: 9 7 7

30 min cardio

Mac
02-16-2010, 09:51 AM
You're doing great Mike. Keep it up and you'll reach your goal.

gman
02-16-2010, 10:05 AM
You're doing great Mike. Keep it up and you'll reach your goal.

Thanks, MT

168 seems so far away, but it's a lot closer than it was in October. I will have lost 47 lbs since starting once I get to 168

BEAST MODE
02-16-2010, 10:14 AM
168 is a lot closer than you think G. You will get there!

gman
stuck in a rut on meals, but that's what I always do...until I shop again!

Meal 1: 1 cup 2% cottage cheese, 1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce, pack of splenda, and a bunch of cinnamon.

Meal 2: 1 egg, 10 egg whites, Franks Hot Wing sauce

gman
168 is a lot closer than you think G. You will get there!

18 lbs...piece of cake! (bad pun)

BEAST MODE
02-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Have a piece of cake when you get there as a reward!

gman
02-16-2010, 10:17 AM
here is the color and style of one pair of trunks I am getting...brazil cut, black cire'

I wish I looked as good as the guy wearing them...need to rob a bank to buy the juice he's on

http://www.jagware-posingsuits.com/Mens%20PS/Gustavo%20f.jpg

blu2xtreme
02-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Trying your meal one this morning
hope it's better then the hickory tuna you recommended
have a great day :)

gman
02-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Trying your meal one this morning
hope it's better then the hickory tuna you recommended
have a great day :)

If you don't like it , I will give you free training for one month

blu2xtreme
02-16-2010, 10:25 AM
If you don't like it , I will give you free training for one month

I actually loved it ... And you already promised me free lifetime training
I will repay you someday ... Maybe a special treat after your contest:)

gman
02-16-2010, 10:28 AM
I actually loved it ... And you already promised me free lifetime training
I will repay you someday ... Maybe a special treat after your contest:)

that fudge brownie with ice cream might do the trick, but if youre paying, I guess you get to pick

That cottage cheese/applesauce thing is one of the best things I have had on this cut...wish I had thought of it sooner.

Even with a cup of unsweetened applesauce yesterday, my carbs were still really low.

I will go to fitday and punch it in and see.

gman
02-16-2010, 10:33 AM
wow. way more food than I thought...dammit. gotta cut something out today. Including my fish oil and stuff, here is my total for yesterday. I need to be at 1600 or so.

2,093 cal
62.7 f
81.3 c
294.3 p

blu2xtreme
02-16-2010, 10:36 AM
that fudge brownie with ice cream might do the trick, but if youre paying, I guess you get to pick

That cottage cheese/applesauce thing is one of the best things I have had on this cut...wish I had thought of it sooner.

Even with a cup of unsweetened applesauce yesterday, my carbs were still really low.

I will go to fitday and punch it in and see.

I will pick something very special for my coach;)

I used 1/4 c. Applesauce / 1/2 c cottage cheese / 1/4 c walnuts

gman
02-16-2010, 10:41 AM
I will pick something very special for my coach;)

I used 1/4 c. Applesauce / 1/2 c cottage cheese / 1/4 c walnuts

I am glad you put walnuts in, otherwise I would think you were trying to cut.

Without the walnuts you would have eaten 115 calories

Try stirring in a scoop of whey next time with all the other stuff

blu2xtreme
02-16-2010, 10:51 AM
I am glad you put walnuts in, otherwise I would think you were trying to cut.

Without the walnuts you would have eaten 115 calories

Try stirring in a scoop of whey next time with all the other stuff

Will do the cinnamon whey with it next time... Great idea

gman
02-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Will do the cinnamon whey with it next time... Great idea

I am pretty smart for a guy

another idea is to make a smoothie with 1/2 c cottage cheese and 1 scoop of whey instead of 2 scoops of whey...slower digesting! I haven't tried putting applesauce in, but I bet it would be good.

blend with about 10-20 ice cubes and a cup of water.

BEAST MODE
02-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Or here's G's special bed time shake...

1-2 scoops chocolate whey
1-2 tbsp sugar free chocolate syrup
1-2 tbsp natty pb
1/2c cottage cheese
1-1.5c water
several ice cubes

That shake is amazing! It's also good if you use cookies and cream whey.

gman
02-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Or here's G's special bed time shake...

1-2 scoops chocolate whey
1-2 tbsp sugar free chocolate syrup
1-2 tbsp natty pb
1/2c cottage cheese
1-1.5c water
several ice cubes

That shake is amazing! It's also good if you use cookies and cream whey.

hint....cool whip light on top after pouring in cup

BEAST MODE
02-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Nice G! I'm gonna pick some of that up this weekend when I replenish my food supply.

gman
02-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Nice G! I'm gonna pick some of that up this weekend when I replenish my food supply.

I know a lot about bulking for someone on a cut.

gman
02-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Heidi Chappell just got back to me on size of trunks...she said to order small, otherwise the butt might be baggy

I am scared, that is size 28-30 waist! But I will do what the coach says!

BEAST MODE
02-16-2010, 11:18 AM
I know a lot about bulking for someone on a cut.

I am using that shake right now even though I'm trying to lose a little bit. I'm just doing 1 tbsp of the syrup and pb, and 1.5 scoops whey. If I don't get enough in me before bed I wake up in the middle of the night starving and can't get back to sleep.

gman
02-16-2010, 11:29 AM
It is a damn good shake. I might do it too with less stuff in it.

Shadow
02-16-2010, 12:06 PM
chest day...shoulder hurt again and I was weak as I could be on top of it

Decline flys, 40 lbers: 22 15 12
decline pushups: 36 40 40
flat bench off power rack at sticking point, 185: 3 5 4 ( I really am a weak guy)
flat flys, 55's: 12 9 8
Incline machine, precor, neutral grip: 11/100 11/110 10/110 7/120
incline flys, 45's: 9 7 7

30 min cardio

You say you're weak, but 40 - 45 pound flyes aren't exactly weak.

joedemarco
02-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks, MT

168 seems so far away, but it's a lot closer than it was in October. I will have lost 47 lbs since starting once I get to 168

Must have missed a post. Where did the 168 number come from? How did you decide on that?

gman
02-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Must have missed a post. Where did the 168 number come from? How did you decide on that?

got assessed last Friday night by our state NPC co chairpersons at their gym in my posing trunks.

Said 20 more lbs and I would be stage ready.

gman
02-16-2010, 01:35 PM
You say you're weak, but 40 - 45 pound flyes aren't exactly weak.

they are when I was doing 60lb ones last summer..

gman
02-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Meal 1: 1 cup 2% cottage cheese, 1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce, pack of splenda, and a bunch of cinnamon.

Meal 2: 1 egg, 10 egg whites, Franks Hot Wing sauce

Meal 3: 1 cup of cottage cheese with 1 tbsp of Walden Farm Chocolate Dip and 1 tbsp of Walden Farm peanut spread mixed in (both have zero cals supposedly)

don't worry, I will eat something different soon! lol

I will probably get crap for eating cottage cheese...my alternative is egg whites or whey until I cook some chicken tonight.

BEAST MODE
02-16-2010, 01:45 PM
they are when I was doing 60lb ones last summer..

You are also 30 lbs lighter G! This is expected bro...you can't be King Kong when you're as depleted as you are.

gman
02-16-2010, 02:08 PM
You are also 30 lbs lighter G! This is expected bro...you can't be King Kong when you're as depleted as you are.

true, Rich!

I just went all in.

Ordered the 135-165 lb posing trunks. One brazil cut, one premier cut. Pressure's on now!:hypno: