PDA

View Full Version : Mike and Paula's Journal of Life, Love and Ever-Changing Goals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32

Bryan Hildebrand
01-07-2011, 09:12 AM
ask for fresh ground chicken. zero fillers.
good to see you back.

freebirdmac
01-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Mike, how was your script written when you got a dexascan? I'm supposed to get one this year to check bone density. I've been warned that they may only check the spine and hips. In which case no bf measurements. So I want to make sure I have a script so I can get bf measurements.

musclegoddess65
01-16-2011, 01:19 PM
woo hoo glad to see ya back... and all happy and such :o)

Mac
01-16-2011, 02:25 PM
woo hoo glad to see ya back... and all happy and such :o)

I am wondering now if it was just a quick drive-by. They haven't been back in almost two weeks.

Where are you two?

musclegoddess65
01-16-2011, 03:32 PM
I am wondering now if it was just a quick drive-by. They haven't been back in almost two weeks.

Where are you two?

ha... I haven't been on the board in a few weeks myself and didn't notice the date when they posted... :dunno:

musclegoddess65
01-16-2011, 03:32 PM
I know its tax season for Mike...

gman
01-18-2011, 06:41 AM
We're here guys...I had what's called "peer review" at work, a once every 3 year ordeal. I had to get ready for that, and it was not fun!

Last night we did a back workout, mainly deadlifting. Paula was new to them and wanted to do them right, so we used those training plates that weigh 10 lbs, so she could be the right height off the floor when she started. She did great. One of the Brute Strength Gym gurus came over and helped her a little with form as well.

I did pullups for 4 sets, just to see if I could still do them: 6 6 5 5

Then just deadlifted: warmup 10/135. then 8/225 6/275 6/295 6/295 5/295

I felt pretty good considering I haven't deadlifted in at least 6 months!

I am doing everything without straps now as I am considering trying strongman in the future.

Hammerfit
01-18-2011, 10:12 AM
We're here guys...I had what's called "peer review" at work, a once every 3 year ordeal. I had to get ready for that, and it was not fun!

Last night we did a back workout, mainly deadlifting. Paula was new to them and wanted to do them right, so we used those training plates that weigh 10 lbs, so she could be the right height off the floor when she started. She did great. One of the Brute Strength Gym gurus came over and helped her a little with form as well.

I did pullups for 4 sets, just to see if I could still do them: 6 6 5 5

Then just deadlifted: warmup 10/135. then 8/225 6/275 6/295 6/295 5/295

I felt pretty good considering I haven't deadlifted in at least 6 months!

I am doing everything without straps now as I am considering trying strongman in the future.

Great job on the pullups and dead lifts! Pullups are the BEST for increasing back width, most people won't do them because they are so humbling. I love to deadlift too, but my grip strength basically sucks because I have always used straps. The strength guys make fun of me for using them but most of the time, my back looks better than the haters!

gman
01-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Great job on the pullups and dead lifts! Pullups are the BEST for increasing back width, most people won't do them because they are so humbling. I love to deadlift too, but my grip strength basically sucks because I have always used straps. The strength guys make fun of me for using them but most of the time, my back looks better than the haters!

No more straps for me...hopefully my grip will get even better than it is. I have small hands, and they are weird: palms are longer than the fingers.

Thanks about the pullups and deads. Not great, but considering the fact I haven't done much of either for a long time, I feel really great about it. THe big guru at the gym said it's like riding a bicycle.

gman
01-18-2011, 04:35 PM
lower back is barely sore, and upper half of my ass is killing me from those light deads, so I must have done something right!

gman
01-25-2011, 09:42 AM
We have been to the gym several more times since last time I posted.

We did chest on Friday:
Flat bench bb, I really suck now, don't remember exactly, but I do know I struggled to do 4 reps at 185, 4 sets
DB incline press, 4 sets
Pec dec flys, 4 sets

Then on Saturday, leg day:
Leg press machine, 4 sets
SLDL with bb, all 4 sets at 225, no straps
Calf raises, 4 sets

Last night, shoulders, again sucked big time:
BB standing shoulder press, 8/95, 4/135, 6/125, 5/125
DB laterals: 10/25 10/30 8/35 8/35
Front bb raise with preset bb's: 10/50 10/60 10/60 9/60
Reverse flys on pec dec: 9/80 8/90 7/90 8/90

So we did good last week, we have gone 5 times in the last 9 days, and we are going to keep it up. Lots of issues are getting in my way, such as my divorce, which is not going well. Latest proposal from ex is to give her 53% of my gross for alimony and child support.

gman
01-25-2011, 09:45 AM
On a side note, the backs of my legs are so sore from doing legs on Saturday that I am walking almost without bending my knees! Quads have no soreness, but calves and hamstrings are dying!

gman
01-25-2011, 10:08 AM
I can't figure out why I am so weak when I am on TRT, as most guys talk about being stronger than they have ever been. Of course, I have been somewhat slack at going to the gym for a few months, but never quit going fully. I am also on very physiologic dose as opposed to a bodybuilding dose. I am currently rubbing on compounded cream of 37.5mg twice a day. Last bloodwork at 8 am with no morning dose, I only had a level of 450. Not too worried about it, just is kind of funny how weak I am, I would hate to see it if I was not on TRT.

Mac
01-25-2011, 10:27 AM
I I am currently rubbing on compounded cream of 37.5mg twice a day.

My dad's ability to absorb the androgel diminished the longer he took it. He is also very hairy and there was conversion of the test in his hair follicles to DHT. He stopped taking it because of a prostrate issue and his test levels hardly dropped, indicating its lack of absorption.

gman
01-25-2011, 10:31 AM
How is your protein intake?

I couldn't figure out why my strength dropped so dramatically two months ago and it was for this reason. Starting taking my protein as a drink vs. popping 5 tablets and after calculating how much less I used in a month it was clear to see the problem.

Went back to Humapro pills and its much more convenient to get what I need and my strength shot back up.

I bet that's a big factor. I recently have upped it tremendously again, but for a while I was eating like normal people do!

Thanks, Mac!

partsRheavy
01-26-2011, 12:24 AM
My guess is the strength loss is something dietary, unless you changed your HRT dosage within the past several months.

gman
01-26-2011, 10:16 AM
My guess is the strength loss is something dietary, unless you changed your HRT dosage within the past several months.

If it is, it will be fixed soon! I am eating 250+g a day of protein now.

Mac
01-26-2011, 10:21 AM
If it is, it will be fixed soon! I am eating 250+g a day of protein now.

Tell Paula to get her butt back in here and post more than once a month.

gman
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Today we went and did just two back exercises. I am moving towards doing strongman, and am trying to emphasize deads. I sort of warmed up my back by doing pullups (6 5 4 5), while Paula did seated v-bar front pulldowns.

Then we did deads. Paula is picking it up really quick. Today she worked with 2 10lb training plates on each side, and eventually added an additional 10lbs to each side. So she ended up doing a couple of good sets at 105. I told her she would be doing 225 in no time!

I did: 10/135 to warm up, then 6/225 6/275 4/295 and 4/305. It's killing me to do this weight, but it must be done!!!

gman
01-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Tell Paula to get her butt back in here and post more than once a month.

She is working so much now, and having to deal with so much pressure at work, she can hardly think at night! But hopefully it will get better with time.

Today she got up at 6:30 to lift with me, then cooked me eggs while I got ready for work...she drives 45 minutes each way to work, and today her hours are 11:30 to close, which generally means she gets home at 10pm. Not an easy day, plus she's on her feet the whole time and is lucky to get 15 minutes to eat.

Even on her normal days, she gets up at 5:15, leaves at 6:30 for work, and works from 7:30 until about 6 or 6:30, again with 15 minutes break if at all.

I think I would collapse in a week or two working her job.

BEAST MODE
01-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Deads will do it for you bro! After a few years of my back not allowing me to do them, I hit them hard during my bulk and pulled 475 before prep started. I added 50 lbs to them from my previous best. Keep at it!

gman
01-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Deads will do it for you bro! After a few years of my back not allowing me to do them, I hit them hard during my bulk and pulled 475 before prep started. I added 50 lbs to them from my previous best. Keep at it!

They are the best exercise, IMO!

I did get to where I could pull 385 for a few reps, and once did 425 for one rep, but that was after a pretty good build up. I will get there again, I have no choice. They use 400-425 on the axle deads in strongmen contests

What sucked today is that my hammies were still killing me from SLDL's on Saturday afternoon, and then I did deads today. I am going to die tomorrow when the DOMS set in!

BEAST MODE
01-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Free fall day tomorrow! Love it!

gman
01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Free fall day tomorrow! Love it!

It will suck bad, I live on the 3rd floor! Might have to walk backwards up and down the stairs!

gman
01-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Just filled out the entry form to compete in my first strength meet: the Brute Strength Gym Highlander Challenge, to be held mid-May.

Events to be held: weight over bar, carry and load medley, caber toss, and wheelbarrow push and chain drag.

Looking forward to training and getting in condition for it!

BEAST MODE
01-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Good luck Mike!!! Train your ass off for this thing and show em what an old man can do! :)

gman
01-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Good luck Mike!!! Train your ass off for this thing and show em what an old man can do! :)

I am old, but I have pretty young joints since I never did much exercise until I was 44. Maybe that will help, :dunno:

axioma
01-26-2011, 03:13 PM
:yep::yep:
Just filled out the entry form to compete in my first strength meet: the Brute Strength Gym Highlander Challenge, to be held mid-May.

Events to be held: weight over bar, carry and load medley, caber toss, and wheelbarrow push and chain drag.

Oh HELL yessssss! Looking forward to following this!

gman
01-26-2011, 03:23 PM
This will be so much fun, but sounds so damn frightening right now...pushing a 500lb wheelbarrow 75' and pulling a 500lb chain 50', all in a 75 second time limit, I just can't comprehend being able to do it, but it gives me a goal to train for.

BEAST MODE
01-26-2011, 03:26 PM
At least you're not carrying it on your back! 500 lbs across your shoulders is crazy...wait til you train yoke!

gman
01-26-2011, 03:31 PM
At least you're not carrying it on your back! 500 lbs across your shoulders is crazy...wait til you train yoke!

Yeah, I got under the yoke this morning and couldn't budge the damn thing. It had no weight on it.

BEAST MODE
01-26-2011, 03:42 PM
There are techniques for all the lifts that will definitely help you once you learn them! I'm sure the guys in the gym will be very willing to teach you.

gman
01-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Just dropped by the gym and dropped off my entry form, now I have to figure out what to do to get strong enough to do the events! And how much to eat.

Like today, had 5 eggs scrambled with diced chicken breast and shredded cheese for breakfast, and a protein bar for lunch. It's almost 3 pm, and I know I need to eat a lot more than that! Just have to get the 5-6 meals a day mentality again.

BEAST MODE
01-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Eggs, lean beef, chicken breast, oats, rice, potatoes/sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta. Worked great for me. It all starts in the kitchen bro!

gman
01-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Eggs, lean beef, chicken breast, oats, rice, potatoes/sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta. Worked great for me. It all starts in the kitchen bro!

exactly...and we cannot grill on our patio due to our stupid apartment's rules, but we did get a Cuisinart Griddler from my mom for Christmas. Time to fire that baby up and get some chicken and steak cooked up.

Enjoying one of my favorite easy high protein meals. Kroger has diced chicken breast in the deli area, which we buy to supplement meals. Mix 4 oz of that into a cup of low fat cottage cheese, and sprinkle with pepper. Yummy

Will go shopping on payday and stock up, right now, I have to wing it on what we have on hand.

freebirdmac
01-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Watch, Mike will move to strongman, eat like crazy, lift crazy ass weights, and finally lean out :p

gman
01-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Watch, Mike will move to strongman, eat like crazy, lift crazy ass weights, and finally lean out :p

that's the plan!!!

robert da strongman
01-27-2011, 04:56 PM

i will be watching...

Down4whatever
01-27-2011, 08:50 PM

Nice!! This will be epic; looking forward to seeing how you do!

gman
01-28-2011, 11:16 AM
i will be watching...

Nice!! This will be epic; looking forward to seeing how you do!

trying to work out my training split over the weekend. Going to figure a way to train with Paula, maybe for weightlifting part, 3-4 times a week, then do event training on my own on another day.

M-shoulders
W-back and bi
F-chest (?) and tri
Sat-legs

Can't figure out when to drag chains, do farmer walks, carry kegs, do wind sprints with weighted sled, etc. Maybe on Tuesday?

Going to start writing down what I am eating in order to make sure I am doing well on protein intake.

Today so far: 5 scrambled eggs with 3 slices of bacon, 1 6 oz low carb yogurt, and a small protein bar. Lunch will be leftover beef stew, 1 1/2 cups. Beef, lima beans, green beans, carrots, tomatoes, etc.

BEAST MODE
01-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Most guys I know hit events on Saturdays and take Sundays off...pick Rob's brain on this one. He'll give you a good split and probably some movements to focus on that will really help your pressing.

robert da strongman
01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
M-shoulders
W-back and bi
F-chest (?) and tri
Sat-legs

M-overhead press and shoulders
T-deads and hams
F-tris and back
S-events

think in term of the lifts and not bodyparts

gman
01-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys,

Would rack pulls, and the like be included on deads day or back day?

I am seeing that the chest day is gone, which is cool with me! It's like an old powerlifter told me: benching is not too cool, in the real world it would mean somebody is on top of you beating your ass or that something fell on top of you and you're trying to push it off! No other reason to bench other than because you're afraid that kind of thing will happen to you. lol

BEAST MODE
01-28-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure how Rob does it, but I alternate weeks on deads/racks. I've done eow w/ them and then took the 3rd week off, or just do them eow and keep alternating if you want. If you do deads on Tuesday, I wouldn't do racks on Friday.

gman
01-28-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm not sure how Rob does it, but I alternate weeks on deads/racks. I've done eow w/ them and then took the 3rd week off, or just do them eow and keep alternating if you want. If you do deads on Tuesday, I wouldn't do racks on Friday.

Yeah, that wouldn't be wise. I do know that a guy at our gym said you really have to build your hams for strongman, and rack pulls and deads are a great way to do it!

gman
01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
I meant to say Olympic lifter, not powerlifter, in my little story about bench pressing being stupid. :)

robert da strongman
01-28-2011, 11:56 AM
i dont do rack pulls regularly...they screw up your deadlift form and do nothing for your hams....

dead day you would want to rotate full deads, romanian deads, and good mornings. maybe box squats.

and benching tightens up the shoulders which throws off the overhead press. close grip press is good though...needed for tricep strength

axioma
01-28-2011, 12:02 PM
^^^wise. gotta kilt?

Seriously, are you really reading through the strongman/alt training threads? Throw the bodybuilding out the door...gotta get specific to your goals and these guys ^^included know what they are doing....

gman
01-28-2011, 12:03 PM
i dont do rack pulls regularly...they screw up your deadlift form and do nothing for your hams....

dead day you would want to rotate full deads, romanian deads, and good mornings. maybe box squats.

and benching tightens up the shoulders which throws off the overhead press. close grip press is good though...needed for tricep strength

sounds good Robert, I will plan it out and stick to it. A total change in mindset!

BTW the guy who told me that stuff about the bench press is a 90ish year old little power and oly lifter named Joe Amendolaro and he runs his own gym called King Joe's Barbell Club in Wilkes-Barre. I looked at his website and saw the 2009 member of the year, and I swear that it's not me, it must be my evil twin

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/paulaannmike/myeviltwin.jpg

robert da strongman
01-28-2011, 02:45 PM
^^^wise. gotta kilt?

Seriously, are you really reading through the strongman/alt training threads? Throw the bodybuilding out the door...gotta get specific to your goals and these guys ^^included know what they are doing....

yeah get a kilt!!

sounds good Robert, I will plan it out and stick to it. A total change in mindset!

BTW the guy who told me that stuff about the bench press is a 90ish year old little power and oly lifter named Joe Amendolaro and he runs his own gym called King Joe's Barbell Club in Wilkes-Barre. I looked at his website and saw the 2009 member of the year, and I swear that it's not me, it must be my evil twin

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/paulaannmike/myeviltwin.jpg

those old school guys are the best resource. i have heard Joe's name before...

gman
01-29-2011, 09:09 AM
^^^wise. gotta kilt?

I will be catching up on those threads, Ax! Looking forward to kilt shopping soon. Hard to figure out where to get one, so any suggestions are appreciated.

robert da strongman
01-29-2011, 09:15 AM
sportkilt.com (http://www.sportkilt.com/)

gman
01-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Last night, I did a back workout (was normally chest day, but I am trying to get into the routine that Robert suggested) . I tried to go as heavy as I could, no straps!

Seated narrow grip cable rows (v-bar): 8/180 8/192, 6/204, 5/204

Standing T-bar rows (platform with built in T-bar, sort of a shoulder width grip). I have no idea what the weight with just the bar is, but I did: 8/115, 6/135, 5/180, 6/180

One arm db rows: 8/100 6/105 5/105 4/105

Finished eating for the day, midafternoon had protein bar, then had 1 1/2 cups of 2% cottage cheese about an hour before lifting, then after lifting had half a Chipolte steak burrito with everything but guac.

I was disappointed with myself that I could not eat the whole burrito :(

robert da strongman
01-29-2011, 09:18 AM
nice training....you will get there with the burrito. squats and deads will make you hungry.

gman
01-29-2011, 09:37 AM
^^^wise. gotta kilt?

nice training....you will get there with the burrito. squats and deads will make you hungry.

Thanks, Robert. It's weird for me to work out in the evening...I am not hungry when I get done, but an hour later, I am starving!

Today at noon, Mark Kimener is going to do some heavy Atlas Stone lifting, and Stella told me if I show up, I could probably learn the lift from him. If I am not mistaken, he is going to do a 500 lb stone they just made a week or so ago up onto the platform!

robert da strongman
01-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks, Robert. It's weird for me to work out in the evening...I am not hungry when I get done, but an hour later, I am starving!

Today at noon, Mark Kimener is going to do some heavy Atlas Stone lifting, and Stella told me if I show up, I could probably learn the lift from him. If I am not mistaken, he is going to do a 500 lb stone they just made a week or so ago up onto the platform!

sweet!
great opportunity go for it!

gman
01-29-2011, 03:59 PM
The stone was too new and too slippery, Mark got it off the floor a few times, but could not get to the next position.

I ended up not trying the stones. I went over and pulled the 500 lb chain a few times. Not too hard, I must say, but I was winded as hell each time. I pulled it 4 times, 20 ft 3 times, and then 30 ft the 4th time. My event will be pulling it 50 ft.

I also tried to lift and carry the 200 lb sandbag, and could hardly get it off the ground. That's going to be a real bitch carrying that damn thing 50' and putting it up on a 54" step.

robert da strongman
01-29-2011, 04:03 PM
new stones can be tough. was he using tacky?

good job on the chain. some stuff is easier than you think.
sandbags are always tough...practice

partsRheavy
01-29-2011, 08:49 PM
This journal will be fun to follow along!!!!

If my car breaks down, I'm gonna call you to help me push it out of traffic!!!!! Never mind doing ppl's taxes - the Strongman stuff is a lot more impressive!!!
:yep:

bcapprentice
01-30-2011, 11:33 AM
I will be catching up on those threads, Ax! Looking forward to kilt shopping soon. Hard to figure out where to get one, so any suggestions are appreciated.
It might help if you knew which tartan you wanted a kilt made out of.

Then are you going to buy off the rack or custom-made.

Choices! Choices!

gman
01-30-2011, 09:18 PM
This journal will be fun to follow along!!!!

If my car breaks down, I'm gonna call you to help me push it out of traffic!!!!! Never mind doing ppl's taxes - the Strongman stuff is a lot more impressive!!!
:yep:

give me a few months before you call, I need to work on it some

It might help if you knew which tartan you wanted a kilt made out of.

Then are you going to buy off the rack or custom-made.

Choices! Choices!

Going to get one from sportkilts.com maybe

gman
01-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Today we did a leg workout

Leg press, no sled weight counted: 8/200, 8/400, 6/490, 6/490

SLDL: 5/225 4/225 4/225 3/225

Leg extensions, hammer strength, each leg independent: 4 sets of 8 with 55 on each side

blu2xtreme
01-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Can we have matching Kilts ;)

gman
01-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Can we have matching Kilts ;)

That would be a lot of fun I think!

Don't know if it's a good sign or not, but I have been starving and eating a lot in the past few days. Hopefully it's my metabolism ramping up, and not just the fact that I like to eat!

Mac
01-31-2011, 07:48 AM
That would be a lot of fun I think!

Don't know if it's a good sign or not, but I have been starving and eating a lot in the past few days. Hopefully it's my metabolism ramping up, and not just the fact that I like to eat!

Lifting heavy weights will do that to you.

I am trying to picture you two in a kilt.

:dunno:

gman
01-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Lifting heavy weights will do that to you.

I am trying to picture you two in a kilt.

:dunno:

I hope you meant each in our own, but the way it's worded, it could mean in one kilt :hypno:

gman
01-31-2011, 10:19 AM
On the hunger thing, here is what I ate yesterday, and I was hungry when I went to bed:

Bowl of oatmeal with scoop of protein powder, splash of almond milk, tbsp of peanut butter, and tbsp of butter mixed in

Workout

Most of a protein smoothie made with 1 scoop of whey, 3/4 cup of cottage cheese, big spoon of peanut butter, 1 1/2 cups of almond milk, 20-25 ice cubes, and a whipped cream on top.

Midafternoon, ate the leftovers from my open-faced Reuben I got Saturday night at the 58 Deli Diner in Virginia beach. probably about 6 oz of pastrami and corned beef, sauerkraut, and melted cheese. here is what it looked like on saturday, except I had no fries with mine

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/paulaannmike/openfacedreuben.jpg
Dinner at moms: fried chicken breast, big spoon of baked beans, big spoon of cole slaw, and 3 coconut cookies.

Bedtime, vanilla yogurt with a scoop of protein powder mixed in.

also recall eating a small protein bar and a granola bar during the day.

And was hungry when I fell asleep!

BEAST MODE
01-31-2011, 11:23 AM
That looks delicious! Minus the kraut....

gman
01-31-2011, 12:04 PM
That looks delicious! Minus the kraut....

they had the Philly style as well: cole slaw in place of the kraut...may try that next time!

Planning my pressing session for tonight. Thinking of standing bb press, heavy db or kb front raises (for the weight over bar event), close grip bench, and maybe some dips.

Does that sound good?

BEAST MODE
01-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Slaw and kraut are so nasty...ugh. Just leave them both off and have the rest.

Training looks good...Rob loves the pressdowns, so maybe throw those in instead of dips. It's obviously helped his pressing out recently if you've been following his training.

Oh, and I think he does 2 pressing movements typically...he will chime in, I'm sure.

gman
01-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Slaw and kraut are so nasty...ugh. Just leave them both off and have the rest.

Training looks good...Rob loves the pressdowns, so maybe throw those in instead of dips. It's obviously helped his pressing out recently if you've been following his training.

Pressdowns sound good too.

What sucks at Brute is that the pressdown station on the crossover is a real ego buster...80lbs is pretty damn hard! It's all relative I guess

BEAST MODE
01-31-2011, 12:16 PM
The weight doesn't matter...it could say 2lbs but if it's heavy as shit and I have to work hard, I don't care.

robert da strongman
01-31-2011, 03:43 PM
actually i would do pushdowns too....at the end light weight 15-20 reps and 8-10 sets

concentrate on the presses, eliminate the close grip if you do dips

gman
01-31-2011, 04:20 PM
actually i would do pushdowns too....at the end light weight 15-20 reps and 8-10 sets

concentrate on the presses, eliminate the close grip if you do dips

Revised a little:

BB Press
Log press, if I can find a liftable one! If not, will do db presses with neutral grip
Front kettlebell raises
Dips
Pushdowns like Robert suggested

robert da strongman
01-31-2011, 04:24 PM
nice...

gman
01-31-2011, 04:27 PM
I've noticed a lot of the really really strong dudes at Brute do these exercises with stretch bands, most of the time like a reverse fly type movement, but occasionally wrapped around the pulldown machine, and done like lat pulls. They do them to failure at a very fast pace. Not sure why though! lol

robert da strongman
01-31-2011, 04:28 PM
I've noticed a lot of the really really strong dudes at Brute do these exercises with stretch bands, most of the time like a reverse fly type movement. They do them to failure at a very fast pace. Not sure why though! lol

try the pushdowns with the bands...you will be surprised

gman
01-31-2011, 09:06 PM
try the pushdowns with the bands...you will be surprised

too late, already done!

Standing bb press, no cheating: 10/95 9/115 6/125 3/135 4/135

Log press: used the smallest one (60lb) and added weights: 6/110 7/110 5/120 3/120 6/120 (i push pressed on this exercise)

Front raises with kettleballs, alternating: 8/35 7/35 7/35

bodyweight dips: 13 10 10

tricep pressdowns: 15/72 15/72 1/72 20/60

was fried after this workout

BEAST MODE
01-31-2011, 09:08 PM
I like seeing your training style change up Mike! Good luck w/ strongman!

robert da strongman
01-31-2011, 11:43 PM
nice work...

gman
02-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys.

A real nice guy about my age taught me a better way to clean the log to get it up to my chest. Deadlift it up, then squat down with it across your thighs. Pull it in close to your waist while squatting, then explode up and snap your hips out while curling the log up to your chest. He had a name for it, but I can't remember it. He said it really helps when the weight gets too heavy to curl on its own.

BEAST MODE
02-01-2011, 10:28 AM
That's exactly how Rob taught me to do it.

robert da strongman
02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys.

A real nice guy about my age taught me a better way to clean the log to get it up to my chest. Deadlift it up, then squat down with it across your thighs. Pull it in close to your waist while squatting, then explode up and snap your hips out while curling the log up to your chest. He had a name for it, but I can't remember it. He said it really helps when the weight gets too heavy to curl on its own.

yup thats how you do it....just make sure you move fast with it

gman
02-01-2011, 10:46 AM
That's exactly how Rob taught me to do it.

yup thats how you do it....just make sure you move fast with it

Cool, it's nice having guys at the gym who aren't afraid to help a brother out!

He also told me when I do weight over bar, that I need to get almost right under the bar. He said too many people stand in front of the bar a couple of feet, then the weight reaches its apex before it even gets to the bar.

robert da strongman
02-01-2011, 10:47 AM
yeah he is right...just remember to extend when you throw

gman
02-01-2011, 11:10 AM
yeah he is right...just remember to extend when you throw

and follow the weight with your eyes all the way from bottom of your throwing motion until it goes over the bar! Can't wait to try it when it gets warmer and the ground behind the gym dries out a little.

robert da strongman
02-01-2011, 11:15 AM
yup! follow through!

gman
02-01-2011, 11:34 AM
They just started showing those #$#%#$@$ Planet Shitness commercials around here, the ones where the big muscle dude with the german accent is being shown around the gym, and keeps saying "I pick up heavy weights, and put them down," over and over. Then he goes out the back door, and it dissolves to "it's not his gym" or some horeshit like that.

gman
02-01-2011, 08:13 PM
deadlift night with Paula. I am really proud of her. This is her 3rd time deadlifting and she did 3 reps at 155 in her last set!

I did: 10/135 to warmup
6/225
6/295
5/315
4/335
3/335

335 was tough, but I will take it based on not doing deadlifts much for the past few months, plus I am going without straps now.

Sledge
02-01-2011, 08:19 PM
They just started showing those #$#%#$@$ Planet Shitness commercials around here, the ones where the big muscle dude with the german accent is being shown around the gym, and keeps saying "I pick up heavy weights, and put them down," over and over. Then he goes out the back door, and it dissolves to "it's not his gym" or some horeshit like that.

You two should join. You can buy those cooool purple T-Shirts too. I have one but mine was free because I know someone on the inside.

gman
02-01-2011, 08:42 PM
You two should join. You can buy those cooool purple T-Shirts too. I have one but mine was free because I know someone on the inside.

I wouldn't mine joining for the pizza, doughnuts, and tootsie rolls they give you:excited

blu2xtreme
02-01-2011, 08:47 PM
deadlift night with Paula. I am really proud of her. This is her 3rd time deadlifting and she did 3 reps at 155 in her last set!

That was 5 reps :yep:

My poor little hands are crying ...first week without gloves :(

GirlyMuscle
02-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Planet Fitness is making tee shirts that say.."I lift things up and put them down." I'm getting you all one. I just hope they make a 4XL for Attila.

The manager of my World Gym said they LOVE those commercials because it's actually increased their sales as well. Serious people are now coming to World instead of going to PF. So everyone is happy in the end. :)

blu2xtreme
02-01-2011, 08:49 PM
I am a Brute girl !
Love it ...lots

GirlyMuscle
02-01-2011, 08:58 PM
It's "Lunk" not Brute. ;)

Muscgrows
02-01-2011, 09:00 PM
It's "Lunk" not Brute. ;)

I love this shirt.

gman
02-01-2011, 09:33 PM
so do you guys think lunks really drop judges?

robert da strongman
02-01-2011, 11:36 PM

I did: 10/135 to warmup
6/225
6/295
5/315
4/335
3/335

335 was tough, but I will take it based on not doing deadlifts much for the past few months, plus I am going without straps now.

nice deads. you will know you are doing them right when your shins bleed:)

gman
02-02-2011, 09:52 AM
That was 5 reps :yep:

My poor little hands are crying ...first week without gloves :(

whoops, you did do 5 reps!

That means you could easily do more weight next week, right?:p

gman
02-02-2011, 09:57 AM
nice deads. you will know you are doing them right when your shins bleed:)

I have a few scabs going, but probably could pull the bar in even closer!

Paula loaded me up today:

Off day today

Breakfast: steak and egg pita
Lunch: chicken breast, brown rice, green beans
Snack: another steak and egg pita
Supper: whatever I can scrounge (Paula works late tonight)
Snack: protein shake with 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 1 scoop chocolate whey, 1-2tbsp of peanut butter, 1 cup of almond milk, and 20 ice cubes...oh forgot to mention the whipped cream on top

blu2xtreme
02-02-2011, 10:17 AM
I have a few scabs going, but probably could pull the bar in even closer!

Paula loaded me up today:

Off day today

Breakfast: steak and egg pita
Lunch: chicken breast, brown rice, green beans
Snack: another steak and egg pita
Supper: whatever I can scrounge (Paula works late tonight)
Snack: protein shake with 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 1 scoop chocolate whey, 1-2tbsp of peanut butter, 1 cup of almond milk, and 20 ice cubes...oh forgot to mention the whipped cream on top

Save the shake for when I get home so we can share :)
Have a great day babes:hmn:

gman
02-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Save the shake for when I get home so we can share :)
Have a great day babes:hmn:

Will make a larger one and share it! :)

GirlyMuscle
02-02-2011, 11:40 AM

LOL...you are a lunk. You can't read. ;)

gman
02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
it says, "drops weights or judges." Very poor grammar! The word judges should have a comma before it at least, but would be better placed at the beginning of the list. I think a lunkhead made the shirt up.

GirlyMuscle
02-02-2011, 11:50 AM
"Drops" and "judges" are verbs in this case not nouns.

Mac
02-02-2011, 12:10 PM
it says, "drops weights or judges." Very poor grammar! The word judges should have a comma before it at least, but would be better placed at the beginning of the list. I think a lunkhead made the shirt up.

I agree with Mike. So we're both lunkheads.

GirlyMuscle
02-02-2011, 12:16 PM
No shit. LOL

gman
02-02-2011, 12:23 PM
But we're intellectual lunkheads!!

gman
02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Eating a lot is killing me...damn, so not used to this.

2 egg, steak and cheese pitas (one at breakfast, one at lunch)
1 1/2 cups cooked oatmeal with 1 scoop of protein powder, 2 tbsp of pb and a splash of milk
3 chicken breast fillets (probably a total of 7-8 oz of meat), and a cup of brown rice.
Still have two more meals to eat and am so full.

robert da strongman
02-02-2011, 04:46 PM
wait till you get some serious squatting, deadlifting, and events in....you won't stop eating

gman
02-02-2011, 04:57 PM
wait till you get some serious squatting, deadlifting, and events in....you won't stop eating

can't wait!

Speaking of squatting, when do I do that? No leg day anymore, right? Paula and I are confused as to when we do what, because we are so used to the bodybuilding split.

I had the weekly split like this:

Pressing and tris

Deads and hams

Upper back and bis

Events

I am guessing squats on dead day every other week?

robert da strongman
02-02-2011, 04:59 PM
can't wait!

Speaking of squatting, when do I do that? No leg day anymore, right? Paula and I are confused as to when we do what, because we are so used to the bodybuilding split.

I had the weekly split like this:

Pressing and tris

Deads and hams

Upper back and bis

Events

I am guessing squats on dead day every other week?

yeah you can alternate squats with your deads, but do box squats. i would add in oly style front squats to hit the quads and help the push press

BEAST MODE
02-02-2011, 07:27 PM

2 egg, steak and cheese pitas (one at breakfast, one at lunch)
1 1/2 cups cooked oatmeal with 1 scoop of protein powder, 2 tbsp of pb and a splash of milk
3 chicken breast fillets (probably a total of 7-8 oz of meat), and a cup of brown rice.
Still have two more meals to eat and am so full.

It will pay dividends Mike!!! Embrace the food!!!

gman
02-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Well, the big drop occurred...72 down to 36 overnight, and I think the high is going to be 38. Still beats the hell out of Chicago though!

BEAST MODE
02-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Or here! It's about 9 this morning...

robert da strongman
02-03-2011, 10:15 AM
66 here

BEAST MODE
02-03-2011, 10:21 AM
OK...take the 57 degree difference and shove it up your assholes!!!

gman
02-03-2011, 10:31 AM
st louis does suck...hot and humid in the summer, and miserable and cold in the winter. Is it ever nice there?

BEAST MODE
02-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah...May through July aren't bad...October is pretty decent. August and September are hot as shit. But I'll take the heat and humidity any day over the cold and all the bullshit that comes w/ it. I am so not a winter person...

partsRheavy
02-03-2011, 04:45 PM
In the definition on the t-shirt, the verb "drops" has a direct object ("weights"), but the verb "judges" lacks a direct object, such as the phrase "other people." That's why the grammar is unclear.

Thus, the sentence could be construed to mean that a lunk drops weights, probably in the gym, or might sometimes drop a judge who ranked him unfavorably or ruled against him. (Court judge or BB judge....doesn't really matter...)

The event would probably result in arrest, unless the judge was not doing judging duties but rather, participating in a wrestling contest with the lunk! :)

Signed,

Ms. Grammar
(my students are WWE fans)

gman
02-03-2011, 04:48 PM
It's like the Eats, Shoots and Leaves book...

BTW, PartsrHeavy, I got a 60+ on the Test of Standard Written English that was embedded in the verbal section of the SAT way back when. 60+ was the maximum score. I have no idea what the rules are, or even what the parts of a sentence are called, but I have a mechanism in my brain that knows when something is not written correctly.

BEAST MODE
02-03-2011, 04:53 PM
I dun furgot wut sintinciz wur:, N hi skul i dun reel gud at gramur tho?

BEAST MODE
02-03-2011, 04:54 PM
LOL How's that for my 15,000th post?

partsRheavy
02-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I did really well on my verbal SAT's also. I can understand what you mean about the "mechanism" in the brain that detects bad grammar.

I still think the part about dropping the weights or the judges is pretty funny. I can't resist writing some fiction....

==========

Newspaper Section: Crime Blotter

Headline: "Violence Erupts at Bodybuilding Show"

Jack Lunk was arrested on charges of assault yesterday evening after he punched Percival Perkins, a judge at the Strongville Bodybuilding Show, which was held at the Municipal Auditorium. Lunk punched Perkins so hard that Perkins fell to the floor. Perkins suffered bruises and other minor injuries but is expected to make a full recovery. The incident occurred after Lunk had been ranked in 5th place out of five contenders in the Mens Division.

Lunk was booked into the Strongville Jail under a bond of $10,000. His only comment to this newspaper was, "I dropped that **** because I was robbed!!"

It's like the Eats, Shoots and Leaves book...

BTW, PartsrHeavy, I got a 60+ on the Test of Standard Written English that was embedded in the verbal section of the SAT way back when. 60+ was the maximum score. I have no idea what the rules are, or even what the parts of a sentence are called, but I have a mechanism in my brain that knows when something is not written correctly.

gman
02-04-2011, 09:39 AM
I dun furgot wut sintinciz wur:, N hi skul i dun reel gud at gramur tho?

wut?

LOL How's that for my 15,000th post?

It's a classic!

I did really well on my verbal SAT's also. I can understand what you mean about the "mechanism" in the brain that detects bad grammar.

I still think the part about dropping the weights or the judges is pretty funny. I can't resist writing some fiction....

==========

Newspaper Section: Crime Blotter

Headline: "Violence Erupts at Bodybuilding Show"

Jack Lunk was arrested on charges of assault yesterday evening after he punched Percival Perkins, a judge at the Strongville Bodybuilding Show, which was held at the Municipal Auditorium. Lunk punched Perkins so hard that Perkins fell to the floor. Perkins suffered bruises and other minor injuries but is expected to make a full recovery. The incident occurred after Lunk had been ranked in 5th place out of five contenders in the Mens Division.

Lunk was booked into the Strongville Jail under a bond of $10,000. His only comment to this newspaper was, "I dropped that **** because I was robbed!!"

See, lunks do drop weights and judges, at least in fiction.

gman
02-04-2011, 09:40 AM
This eating a lot thing is working too well, up 5 lbs since last Friday!

Nobody come on here and tell me it's all water, because I wasn't doing keto or anything like it before I started!

gman
02-04-2011, 09:55 AM
We have upper back and biceps tonight. Planning bb rows, pullups, seated rows, bb shrugs and curls. Of course, what I plan, and what we do sometimes don't equal!

freebirdmac
02-04-2011, 09:55 AM
This eating a lot thing is working too well, up 5 lbs since last Friday!

Nobody come on here and tell me it's all water, because I wasn't doing keto or anything like it before I started!

Ok, then explain how you ate 17,500 calories over maintenance this past week.

gman
02-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Ok, then explain how you ate 17,500 calories over maintenance this past week.

I binged on tuna! :)

As nothing fits tighter, I am not too worried about it. YET

freebirdmac
02-04-2011, 10:24 AM
I binged on tuna! :)

As nothing fits tighter, I am not too worried about it. YET

You're a numbers guy. Run the numbers. You'd have to have had one hell of a feast over many days to get that many extra cals in.

Realistically, you're hitting your muscles in a very different way. No doubt some of those muscles have got to get pumped up. That can account for a couple of pounds. Eating more, especially carbs can account for another couple of pounds of water. Remember in the past when you'd have cheats on the weekend but the extra weight was gone by the following Friday?

Unless you really jacked your calories up I'd guess only a pound was potentially fat.

AnglicanBeachParty
02-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Yes, but what a way to go! :yep:

Hammerfit
02-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Im a big proponent of loading on good solid healthy foods. I got a guy doing keto for 6 weeks, then loaded him with carbs on Sunday and he gains 6 lbs the next day, by the third day after that he not loses the 6 but loses 1 or 2 more and is rock hard.

gman
02-04-2011, 12:40 PM
You're a numbers guy. Run the numbers. You'd have to have had one hell of a feast over many days to get that many extra cals in.

Realistically, you're hitting your muscles in a very different way. No doubt some of those muscles have got to get pumped up. That can account for a couple of pounds. Eating more, especially carbs can account for another couple of pounds of water. Remember in the past when you'd have cheats on the weekend but the extra weight was gone by the following Friday?

Unless you really jacked your calories up I'd guess only a pound was potentially fat.

Probably you're right, just filling the muscles back up with water and glycogen. Just kind of scary when it comes on that fast when you're not coming off keto or a contest!

Yes, but what a way to go! :yep:

Would agree if I was eating lots of pizza, cookies and ice cream, but going out while eating eggs, chicken, tuna, steak and brown rice isn't so much fun!

Im a big proponent of loading on good solid healthy foods. I got a guy doing keto for 6 weeks, then loaded him with carbs on Sunday and he gains 6 lbs the next day, by the third day after that he not loses the 6 but loses 1 or 2 more and is rock hard.

That sounds good, right now just eating a lot of protein and good carbs. Keto works great for me, but I am going for muscle mass right now. Especially in strongman, I am in the masters division, or if I go open, I will be in the up to 231 lb division, so I am at the bottom of the weight range right now and have some wiggle room. Not saying I want to be 231 though, unless it's all in my shoulders and back!!!

gman
02-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Went today and did upper back with Paula

Pullups: 7 6 6 5
Bentover bb rows: 8/185 6/205 5/205 4/205
Seated rows, wide grip: 5 bad form at 204, 7/192 6/192 5/192
Planned on bb shrugs, but all stations were taken, so we used kettleballs: 4 sets of 10 with 90 in each hand

gman
02-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Paula and her daughter say my shoulders are already getting bigger and more defined, so I think it's been worth it so far. Just in not quite 3 weeks of training heavier and eating more, no less.

Mac
02-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Paula and her daughter say my shoulders are already getting bigger and more defined, so I think it's been worth it so far. Just in not quite 3 weeks of training heavier and eating more, no less.

See what real training will do for you.

Good job Mike. Keep hitting it heavy, and do it right. NO INJURIES allowed.

robert da strongman
02-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Went today and did upper back with Paula

Pullups: 7 6 6 5
Bentover bb rows: 8/185 6/205 5/205 4/205
Seated rows, wide grip: 5 bad form at 204, 7/192 6/192 5/192
Planned on bb shrugs, but all stations were taken, so we used kettleballs: 4 sets of 10 with 90 in each hand

nice...

gman
02-07-2011, 10:51 AM
See what real training will do for you.

Good job Mike. Keep hitting it heavy, and do it right. NO INJURIES allowed.

nice...

thanks guys!

Yesterday Paula and I went and tried the carry medley that we will be doing in the Highland Games. She had a pretty easy time with the 50lb keg and was able to lift and carry the 100lb keg , but was scared to try the 100lb sandbag. Unfortunately that is the lightest one we have at our gym. I am so proud of her for trying this, and I know she will do fine at the contest if she keeps working at it like this!

I was able to do the medley, almost. I carried the 180lb keg 20' and loaded onto the bottom step of the power stairs, then the 154lb keg 30' onto the second step, then I wimped out and used just the 100lb sandbag to go 40' and load onto the 3rd step. Rules are that you must climb the steps and load, you can't do it from the side.

I am not sure I can even lift the 200lb sandbag yet, so I will keep working towards it. The problem is that there are no sandbags in between, 100 and then 200.

I was about dead after doing this medley twice. Bodybuilding weight training does not prepare you much for this stuff.

BEAST MODE
02-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Nice! It all depends on what kind of bbing training you do...if your cardio is good and you can still handle some heavy weights, you can do it. I'm doing leg circuits right now that absolutely kill, but at the most, I need about 45-60 seconds to recover and do another one.

gman
02-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Nice! It all depends on what kind of bbing training you do...if your cardio is good and you can still handle some heavy weights, you can do it. I'm doing leg circuits right now that absolutely kill, but at the most, I need about 45-60 seconds to recover and do another one.

Yeah, I am so out of shape cardio wise, both wind sprint and long and slow distance type. I think I am going to start doing some weighted sled work to build my endurance.

Mac
02-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I am so out of shape cardio wise, both wind sprint and long and slow distance type. I think I am going to start doing some weighted sled work to build my endurance.

You would think all of that other cardio you do, it would keep you in better shape. Just sayin...

blu2xtreme
02-07-2011, 05:56 PM
You would think all of that other cardio you do, it would keep you in better shape. Just sayin...

That's whatI was thinking ;)

gman
02-07-2011, 09:44 PM
That's whatI was thinking ;)

You've been the one getting the cardio lately:p

gman
02-07-2011, 09:46 PM
tonight we did shoulders:

5 sets of push presses, I managed to do 2 sets at 145, 4 and 6 reps
4 sets of presses on a machine at the gym where you pushed independent handles while standing, and you stepped forward as you pushed. the handles started forward like a chest press and rapidly went up into a shoulder movement. Was able to do 3 sets with 2 45's and a 35 on each side
4 sets of kb front raises with 35 lbers, 9 7 7 7

gman
02-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Well the morning after doing shoulders, the upper half of my ass is killing me, but my shoulders feel fine! lol

BEAST MODE
02-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Nice delt training Mike!

gman
02-08-2011, 11:19 AM
The machine we used last night was very similar to something I found by googling hammer strength. It was like the hammer strength ground based jammer machine.

YouTube - Hammer Strength - Jammer Press

probably we did it wrong because we stepped into it with one leg while pressing, but it sure worked to burn up my shoulders!

robert da strongman
02-08-2011, 11:35 AM
tonight we did shoulders:

5 sets of push presses, I managed to do 2 sets at 145, 4 and 6 reps
4 sets of presses on a machine at the gym where you pushed independent handles while standing, and you stepped forward as you pushed. the handles started forward like a chest press and rapidly went up into a shoulder movement. Was able to do 3 sets with 2 45's and a 35 on each side
4 sets of kb front raises with 35 lbers, 9 7 7 7

great pressing...work on getting the push press stronger. doubles or singles for 5 sets after warmups

gman
02-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Sounds like a plan to start maxing out.

here is what I want to eat this sunday morning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZDv9pgHp8Q&feature=player_embedded#

gman
02-09-2011, 09:50 AM
deadlift day

8/225
4/315
4/335
2/345
2/345

Paula did 175 today for a few reps, so proud of her!

BEAST MODE
02-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Nice! Way to go you 2!

gman
02-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Nice! Way to go you 2!

She's a natural at deads, perfect form, and low to the ground so she doesn't have to pull far!

blu2xtreme
02-09-2011, 10:21 AM
deadlift day

Paula did 175 today for a few reps, so proud of her!
4 reps :yep: Thanks Coach for pushing me and being so supportive :hmn:

Nice! Way to go you 2!
Thanks ...the new training is great!

She's a natural at deads, perfect form, and low to the ground so she doesn't have to pull far!
Finally.... being short and having a big butt is a good thing:p

gman
02-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Finally.... being short and having a big butt is a good thing:p

it was a good thing long before you started deadlifting! :drool:

gman
02-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Sitting here eating my strongman-style lunch:

2 cheeseburger patties cut up and mixed with lettuce and cherry tomatoes and a little ranch dressing.

A strongman "salad" lol

freebirdmac
02-10-2011, 01:40 PM

2 cheeseburger patties cut up and mixed with lettuce and cherry tomatoes and a little ranch dressing.

A strongman "salad" lol

Dang Mike. My two combined lunches of 8oz chicken, 1/2 extra large sweet potato, 1/4 cup black beans, and zucchini was more than that. Plus a square of dark chocolate.

robert da strongman
02-10-2011, 02:03 PM

A strongman "salad" lol

where's the beer?

blu2xtreme
02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
it was a good thing long before you started deadlifting! :drool:
Thanks babes :hugme:

where's the beer?

He had that tonight :yep:

gman
02-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Saturday we went and did upper back:

I did 7 6 6 and 5 pullups while Paula did lat pull downs
Then we did narrow grip seated rows: I did 10/192 6/204 6/216 4/228 (PB)
T Bar apparatus, standing, no bar weight included: 8/125 6/135 5/180
seated reverse flys on pec deck: 9/110 8/110 7/110

Today we went and tried a few events. First we tried to even lift the sandbag we will be carrying in the highland games in May...I managed to lift the 200lb bag once, but had to drop it immediately. We then dragged the full weight chains we will be pulling, I did 500lb chain 50' twice. Then we pushed the wheelbarrow 75'. I did it at 300 once, and 500 twice. 500 is the full weight of the event, but I had too much of the weight on the lower tier of the wheelbarrow. I am sure it will be 250 on the upper and 250 on the lower tier in the actual games.

robert da strongman
02-13-2011, 04:05 PM
work that sandbag!

tougher in training easier in competition

blu2xtreme
02-14-2011, 10:14 AM
work that sandbag!

tougher in training easier in competition

I hate sandbags :babygirl:

blu2xtreme
02-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Happy Valentines Coach :biglove:
Can't wait to get to the gym tonight !!

gman
02-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I hate sandbags :babygirl:

Me too...and the trouble is there is nothing in between the 100lber you have carry, and the 200lber I have to carry, so training is going to be tough.!

gman
02-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Happy Valentines Coach :biglove:
Can't wait to get to the gym tonight !!

Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

Kind of crazy to go torture our shoulders on Valentines Day, but who said we were normal!:hypno:

Mac
02-14-2011, 10:28 AM
quit sandbagging it you two!

gman
02-14-2011, 11:20 AM
quit sandbagging it you two!

Actually we need to start sandbagging!

gman
02-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Weighed 211 today, so my weight has stabilized after the first week of gaining 5 lbs or so. Either that or I am extremely dehydrated!

Mac
02-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Actually we need to start sandbagging!

Oh the irony.

I want to see videos of you moving that 200lb one.

gman
02-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Oh the irony.

I want to see videos of you moving that 200lb one.

The lady that runs the gym (think of Burgess Meredith on the Rocky movies), said to get it up on a step or platform at chest height just to practice bear hugging and carrying it...then gradually work it down so that I am picking it up from a lower height until finally I am able to do it from the ground.

Damn, never knew lifting 200lbs could be so difficult!

Luckily I am over 40. At my weight, I would have to carry a 250lb sandbag in the open division since I am a "heavyweight" (200lbs +)

gman
02-15-2011, 06:27 AM
4 straight days of lifting about did us in. We went and did shoulders last night.

Push press: 6/115 4/135 4/145 3/155 2/165 (pb easily)
Front kettlebell raises: 3 sets of 8 with 40lber
Tricep pressdowns: 3 sets at 84

BEAST MODE
02-15-2011, 09:25 AM
4 consecutive days will get you! I try to do no more than 3 if possible.

robert da strongman
02-15-2011, 10:59 AM
wow...4 in a row is crazy.

gman
02-15-2011, 11:07 AM
4 consecutive days will get you! I try to do no more than 3 if possible.

wow...4 in a row is crazy.

Didn't think we needed to count pulling the chain twice and pushing the wheelbarrow 3 times as a day of training, but I think it was the hardest of the 4 days!

gman
02-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Brute is having Gene Flynn come and teach us how to toss a caber, and to do the weight over bar event correctly!

In mid-March.

BEAST MODE
02-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Sweet! Try to get some video of that!

gman
02-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Deadlift night

6/225
4/275
4/315
2/355
1/365
1/365

Paula got 190 tonight! She is kicking some ass. She just started doing deads a few weeks back!

fatbackgoal
02-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Good work the both of you!!

Mac
02-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Deadlift night

6/225
4/275
4/315
2/355
1/365
1/365

Paula got 190 tonight! She is kicking some ass. She just started doing deads a few weeks back!

Yes, she is. yours.

At this rate she will catch up to you in a few weeks.

Nice work Mike. I see 400 soon.

gman
02-18-2011, 10:40 AM
She really is kicking my ass. I was trying to stay 2x her lift, and I am slipping each week a little futher under that!

I am also going without straps, so it's a little harder than last time I was concentrating on deads. But if I am going to do strongman, I have to get used to it. I also need to try some axle deads to see if my little hands can grip the axle or not.

robert da strongman
02-18-2011, 10:45 AM
killer deads

gman
02-19-2011, 11:36 AM
killer deads

Thanks, trying to get up to 405 soon!

You're not a man unless there are at least 4 plates on each side!

robert da strongman
02-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks, trying to get up to 405 soon!

You're not a man unless there are at least 4 plates on each side!

don't beat yourself up too much...just go and lift it!

gman
02-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Last night we did upper back and one exercise for quads...I did the following:

Pullups: 8 8 6 5
Bentover bb rows: 6/185 5/205 4/215 4/215
Seated wide grip rows: 6/204 5/216 5/216 4/228
Leg press, no sled weight: 8/405 6/495 6/495 4/585

Today we will go and try the carry medley

180 lb keg 20' onto first power step
154lb keg 30' and up onto second step
then the tough one, 200lb sandbag 40' and climb up and set on 3rd power step

gman
02-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Event training is harder than any lifting I have ever done.

We went this morning and did the carry medley stuff. I had no trouble carrying the 180lb keg 20 ft, or the 154lb keg 30 ft and putting it on the second step, but lifting the 200lb sandbag and carrying it 40' damn near killed me. Mark Kimener from the gym showed me how to pick the sandbag up, because I couldn't even do that when I first tried.

I ended up doing the kegs twice, then I carried the sandbag 20, 30 and 40', but could not get it onto the 2nd or 3rd step on the power steps. I am dead now, my whole body is sore and tired.

But I did more than I thought I'd be able to.

gman
02-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Not as sore as I thought I would be today. One plus of not cutting: we were shopping last night for groceries, and had not planned supper. We spotted some pre-packaged pulled pork bbq on sale for $3.99 a lb. I had at least 5oz on a whole wheat bun with cole slaw and texas pete for supper, then I had two more for lunch today. Yum.

joedemarco
02-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Event training is harder than any lifting I have ever done.

We went this morning and did the carry medley stuff. I had no trouble carrying the 180lb keg 20 ft, or the 154lb keg 30 ft and putting it on the second step, but lifting the 200lb sandbag and carrying it 40' damn near killed me. Mark Kimener from the gym showed me how to pick the sandbag up, because I couldn't even do that when I first tried.

I ended up doing the kegs twice, then I carried the sandbag 20, 30 and 40', but could not get it onto the 2nd or 3rd step on the power steps. I am dead now, my whole body is sore and tired.

But I did more than I thought I'd be able to.

Cool stuff, Mike!

robert da strongman
02-21-2011, 04:19 PM
nice event work....it is a lot harder, but much more fun!

yum...BBQ!

gman
02-21-2011, 04:31 PM
thanks, Joe and Robert.

Here is a vid of the wheelbarrow and chain pull medley we have to do.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1559527628026

gman
02-21-2011, 04:32 PM
here is one of the carry medley, but the guys mistakenly loaded the stuff from the side, you are required to climb the step and place it, I am pretty sure

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1558876051737

robert da strongman
02-21-2011, 04:35 PM
cool vids!

blu2xtreme
02-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Who has more scrapes and bruises from the event training :dunno:

We do know how to have fun:p

robert da strongman
02-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Who has more scrapes and bruises from the event training :dunno:

We do know how to have fun:p

it's not event training if you don't leave some blood behind

gman
02-21-2011, 04:45 PM
...and tonight it's time to get the shins bloody deadlifting!!!

blu2xtreme
02-21-2011, 04:45 PM
it's not event training if you don't leave some blood behind

Then we had lots of fun :jump:

robert da strongman
02-21-2011, 05:10 PM
...and tonight it's time to get the shins bloody deadlifting!!!

long socks or tape the shins...i hate that feeling but it must be done!

blu2xtreme
02-21-2011, 05:21 PM
long socks or tape the shins...i hate that feeling but it must be done!

Good idea ...I hate messing up my tan !

blu2xtreme
02-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Proof of fun :p

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/paulaannmike/258bdcc0.jpg

gman
02-21-2011, 05:43 PM
It's only a flesh wound!

gman
02-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Paula reached a big milestone tonight! Only her 4th time deadlifting and she did 200!

I managed to use the pressure of her lifting heavy to get myself to do 405 for one rep. Highest I have ever done without straps. I have done 425 once with straps, but that was a while back.

We are loving this getting stronger stuff. I might be getting a little tubby but I like being stronger!

gman
02-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Me lifting 385

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/paulaannmike/deadliftingmike-1.jpg

BEAST MODE
02-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Nice job, Paula!

I see you're rockin the Chucks on dead day, Mike...nice choice!

blu2xtreme
02-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Nice job, Paula!

Thanks Beast :)

We have matching chucks ...very cute :p

blu2xtreme
02-22-2011, 10:19 AM
We had a great deadlifting night ... every training day we seem to give it a little more !
We are loving this ... my body not so much ...a little sore this morning, but it's a good bad hurt ;)

gman
02-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Nice job, Paula!

Cheap and good

Considered the vibram five fingers for a milisecond, but the look too gay.:p

GirlyMuscle
02-22-2011, 10:32 AM
And there ya have it. Paula is officially moved in. :D

BEAST MODE
02-22-2011, 10:33 AM
So are you 2 combining your training journals now?

blu2xtreme
02-22-2011, 10:33 AM

I feel all warm and cozy already :hugme:

robert da strongman
02-22-2011, 10:39 AM
heyyyy...nice deads

gman
02-22-2011, 11:13 AM

If it's on RX, it's official!

So are you 2 combining your training journals now?

Yeah, a lot easier to post on one journal especially since we are on the same routine now.

I feel all warm and cozy already :hugme:

Cozy and warm is good, especially since it's 35 degrees colder today than yesterday!

heyyyy...nice deads

Thanks Robert!

gman
02-22-2011, 11:14 AM
My working sets last night as best I can recall:

6/285

4/315

2/365

1/385

1/405

gman
02-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Tonight we did upper back...

I did:

Hammer grip pullups: 10 8 7 8

Close grip seated rows: 4/228 5/228 3/240 5/240

Kneeling lat pulldowns in cable crossover, each arm pulling on its own: 7/96 (each side), 7/108, 6/120 We had a debate, Paula thinks we should count total weight, not each side's weight...I am not sure! If so, I did 7/192, 7/216, 6/240

BB shrugs with straps: 6/275, 6/275 7/275

blu2xtreme
02-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Stuff I did ...

Narrow front pull downs
8/60 8/72 4/96 3/108 3/108 1/120

Close grip seated rows
4/108 4/108 3/120 3/120

Kneeling lat pulldowns in cable crossover, each arm pulling on its own ( or as I called them "dumb things"
10/36 10/48 9/60 ( notice that if you added them together it equals 120 which is what I did in the previous exercises :) )

Shrugs ( hate them :dunno: ) 10/65 5/135 6/135

Good work out after a couple of hellish long days at work !

gman
02-27-2011, 09:13 PM
We did a quick shoulder workout of standing db presses, front bb raises, face pulls and laterals yesterday.

This morning we did event training for our wheelbarrow push and chain pull. Stella took a video and posted it on Brute's Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/video/video.php?v=1587098157272&subj=1062674176

partsRheavy
02-27-2011, 10:07 PM
I was only able to see a few seconds of that video but I can see that Blu is a good hard worker!!!!!

robert da strongman
02-28-2011, 10:05 AM
My working sets last night as best I can recall:

6/285

4/315

2/365

1/385

1/405

Tonight we did upper back...

I did:

Hammer grip pullups: 10 8 7 8

Close grip seated rows: 4/228 5/228 3/240 5/240

Kneeling lat pulldowns in cable crossover, each arm pulling on its own: 7/96 (each side), 7/108, 6/120 We had a debate, Paula thinks we should count total weight, not each side's weight...I am not sure! If so, I did 7/192, 7/216, 6/240

BB shrugs with straps: 6/275, 6/275 7/275

Stuff I did ...

Narrow front pull downs
8/60 8/72 4/96 3/108 3/108 1/120

Close grip seated rows
4/108 4/108 3/120 3/120

Kneeling lat pulldowns in cable crossover, each arm pulling on its own ( or as I called them "dumb things"
10/36 10/48 9/60 ( notice that if you added them together it equals 120 which is what I did in the previous exercises :) )

Shrugs ( hate them :dunno: ) 10/65 5/135 6/135

Good work out after a couple of hellish long days at work !

good stuff....try clean pulls, it is like a cheated shrug/ upright row

BEAST MODE
02-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Clean pulls...gonna throw those in during off-season. I'm gonna try some new stuff this year to add size. Hang clean and press will be up there too. Gonna try more power movements.

gman
03-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Looks like a jumping deadlift, will definitely have to work my way up to those!

We have been really busy, but we did do a crappy leg workout Monday night. We got to the gym and didn't have a long time to train, plus we both just had a bad night.

Leg presses, no sled weight: 8/470 6/570 6/570 4/620

SLDL: 6/225 4/245 5/245 5/245

HeavyDutyGuy
03-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Good stuff you two!!!

gman
03-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Good stuff you two!!!

Thanks, James! We are really enjoying training together for a common goal

BEAST MODE
03-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Hey bro! Good catching up w/ you last night!

gman
03-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Brute just announced a strongman competition on July 2...hot as hades here, but might try it. Here are the events and the weights I would have to do as an old guy:

Yolk: 75' in 60 seconds max, 550 lbs

Semi-truck Pull: 50' in 75 sec or less, harness to be used

Car Deadlift Hold: car make not determined yet, pick up and hold for time, no straps

Keg Press: 154 180 and 200, have 60 seconds to complete all 3

Tire Flip Medley: 380 500 625, 3 flips each tire, 60 sec limit

I wonder if I can manage this stuff? Hell Yes!

It's a holiday weekend, and we would love to have anyone come and do the competition with me/us. Va Beach is nice that time fo year!

gman
03-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Hey bro! Good catching up w/ you last night!

Yeah, that was great, we need to keep in touch more often!

BEAST MODE
03-03-2011, 10:40 AM
That's tempting to do! If I had some extra vacation time, I'd fly out and do it w/ you!

robert da strongman
03-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Brute just announced a strongman competition on July 2...hot as hades here, but might try it. Here are the events and the weights I would have to do as an old guy:

Yolk: 75' in 60 seconds max, 550 lbs

Semi-truck Pull: 50' in 75 sec or less, harness to be used

Car Deadlift Hold: car make not determined yet, pick up and hold for time, no straps

Keg Press: 154 180 and 200, have 60 seconds to complete all 3

Tire Flip Medley: 380 500 625, 3 flips each tire, 60 sec limit

I wonder if I can manage this stuff? Hell Yes!

It's a holiday weekend, and we would love to have anyone come and do the competition with me/us. Va Beach is nice that time fo year!

sounds like fun...

gman
03-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Late getting home again, so we had a shorter than usual back night:

Working sets only

Wide grip pulldowns
Paula: 4/96 5/96 4/108
Mike: 4/180 6/180 4/192

T Bar rows, no bar weight:
Paula: 3/70 6/45 8/45
Mike: 6/180 5/180 3/205

Wide grip seated rows
Paula 4/108 4/108 4/120
Mike 5/216 6/216 5/216

BEAST MODE
03-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Tax season BLOWS!!!

Nice t-bars!

freebirdmac
03-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Remind me Mike. I can add to your cheering section. And finally meet Paula!

robert da strongman
03-04-2011, 10:01 AM
good training

blu2xtreme
03-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Tax season BLOWS!!!

I agree ...between tax season and my long days, finding training time has been rough but we are pushing through and looking forward to spring!

Remind me Mike. I can add to your cheering section. And finally meet Paula!

I would love to meet you Pam. I drive to your side of the water 3 days a week so I know you can get here too :D

I am doing the Highland Games with Mike and I am sure he will rope me into the Strongman Comp too. I love this stuff and eating to get stronger is a plus.

freebirdmac
03-04-2011, 12:06 PM
When are you over here? Where are you working?

blu2xtreme
03-04-2011, 06:12 PM
When are you over here? Where are you working?

I work in Newport News. Near Oyster point center.
Hell of a drive everyday :hypno:

freebirdmac
03-04-2011, 06:26 PM
I work in Newport News. Near Oyster point center.
Hell of a drive everyday :hypno:

You realize my gym is in Oyster Point :)

blu2xtreme
03-04-2011, 06:43 PM
You realize my gym is in Oyster Point :)

I am off J Clyde Blvd ...One of the girls I work with goes to that gym I think :)
I have come to hate the HRBT ...especially when they close it down to 1 lane to change a light bulb :dunno:

freebirdmac
03-04-2011, 06:51 PM
I am off J Clyde Blvd ...One of the girls I work with goes to that gym I think :)
I have come to hate the HRBT ...especially when they close it down to 1 lane to change a light bulb :dunno:

Yep. It's a pita. Do you have a backup route using the MM?

blu2xtreme
03-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Yep. It's a pita. Do you have a backup route using the MM?

Mike keeps saying he will give be a back up plan but so far it's just me and my Tom Tom :)

blu2xtreme
03-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Last nights workout - We were a little late getting there and had to finish earlier then we wanted. Since we are dealing with tax season, my work and our kids I am proud of how we continue to find time to train. Increase in strength this week has not happened for me as in the past few weeks.

Shoulders / kinda Tri's too - working sets only

Push Press
Mike - 5/115 4/135 3/155 1/175
Paula - 6/55 4/65 1/75 2/70

bb front raise
Mike 8/70 10/70 10/70
Paula 10/20 8/30 10/30

Close Grip Press
Mike 5/185 6/175 6/175
Paula 10/45 8/65 2/85

gman
03-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Deadlifting day...Paula set her PB again!

Paula: warmups: 6/135 5/155
Working sets: 4/175 1/205 1/205 1/210

Mike: warmups: 8/185 5/275
Working sets: 3/355 2/385 1/405 1/415

robert da strongman
03-05-2011, 04:47 PM
good stuff you 2!

gman
03-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Today we went and trained for our carry medley...since we were able to the first two parts pretty easily last time we tried, we decided to concentrate on the part we had lots of trouble with: the sandbag carry.

Two weeks ago when we tried, Paula struggled to pick up the sandbag from the ground. This time she blew past all her troubles! She did the carry twice by picking it up off a weight bench, walking 50' to the power steps, and hoisting up all 3 required steps. The third time, she picked it up off the ground with hardly any trouble and did the 50' walk, and hoisted it right up the steps like a champ...I am so proud of how far she came in a short time!

Last time I tried, it was a struggle to make it 50' and put the 200lb sandbag on the bottom step. But this week, after one run through where I just put the bag on the first step, I managed to do all 3 steps the second and third times.

I feel like a truck ran over me, but glad I was able to do it!

BEAST MODE
03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Nice progress!

robert da strongman
03-06-2011, 03:57 PM
nice work!

blu2xtreme
03-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Today we went and trained for our carry medley...since we were able to the first two parts pretty easily last time we tried, we decided to concentrate on the part we had lots of trouble with: the sandbag carry.

Two weeks ago when we tried, Paula struggled to pick up the sandbag from the ground. This time she blew past all her troubles! She did the carry twice by picking it up off a weight bench, walking 50' to the power steps, and hoisting up all 3 required steps. The third time, she picked it up off the ground with hardly any trouble and did the 50' walk, and hoisted it right up the steps like a champ...I am so proud of how far she came in a short time!

Last time I tried, it was a struggle to make it 50' and put the 200lb sandbag on the bottom step. But this week, after one run through where I just put the bag on the first step, I managed to do all 3 steps the second and third times.

I feel like a truck ran over me, but glad I was able to do it!

It was a walk in the park for me :p
Still waiting for the pain to hit:hypno:

blu2xtreme
03-06-2011, 04:47 PM
I joined Brute Strength's Military powerlifting/strongman team today ...they have Blue shirts :yep:

gman
03-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Our week is going to be a mess, so we had to shift things up a bit. We have company Friday night, Brute is closed Saturday for the powerlifting meet, and we will be out of town Saturday night and all Sunday at my daughter's swim meet. So we will only get 3 days in this week. Today we did upper back, Wednesday we will do shoulders and tris, and Thursday will be deads.

Tonight

I did pullups first: 10 7 7 5
Paula did underhanded close grip lat pulldowns at the same time: warmups 12/60 and 10/84, working sets: 6/96 4/108 3/120

Next seated close grip rows:
Paula: 7/84 8/96 6/108 4/120
Mike: 6/216 6/228 5/240 4/252 personal best

BB shrugs
Paula: 10/95 10/115 8/135 7/135
Mike: 8/275 8/275 7/295 6/295

gman
03-08-2011, 08:58 AM
I am up to 214 now...will have to buy new summer clothes, plus pants and dress shirts for work. Taped my waist at 39 1/2" which is frightening me. On the bright side, I am getting stronger pretty quickly. Wish the weight would go to my chest instead of my sides!

gman
03-08-2011, 09:16 AM
I did not post anything about my daughter's swimming accomplishments 2 weekends ago.

She was in the regional meet for the USA Swimming organization. To be in this meet, you had to have what are known as BB+ times or better in an event to be eligible to swim it at this meet, and she had 9 she was eligible for.

In order to make it to the next bigger championship, the Age Group Championship meet (a fancy name for the state meet), you had to have an AA time in an event to qualify, which Grace had none of going into the regionals.

On Day 1 of regionals, Grace got her AA time in the 50 fly, and her mom bought her a fancy fastskin bathing suit on the way home to use on Days 2 and 3. On Day 2 she got 2 more AA times, in the 100 IM and the the 100 back. Then on Day 3 when I got to attend, she made AA times in 50 free and 50 back.

All in all, she made personal bests in all 9 events at regionals, and is going to swim 5 events in the Age Group meet this weekend in Blacksburg at the Va Tech pool.

Paula, Jessie and I are making the trip Saturday evening so we can see Grace swim her 2 Sunday events!

BEAST MODE
03-08-2011, 09:27 AM
That is awesome Mike! How old is she now?

freebirdmac
03-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Congrats to your daughter Mike! My sister and her daughter have made that trip a few times. Not sure if she'll be there this year. I can't keep up with her injury status (it's one thing or another) :rolleyes:

gman
03-08-2011, 10:24 AM
That is awesome Mike! How old is she now?

She is 12 now, and is already about 5'5"

Congrats to your daughter Mike! My sister and her daughter have made that trip a few times. Not sure if she'll be there this year. I can't keep up with her injury status (it's one thing or another) :rolleyes:

Thanks, Pam! A long drive for a couple of minutes of swimming, but well worth it!

Here is Grace in the middle, with her friend Amy on the left, and Jessie on the right

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/paulaannmike/regionals2011.jpg

robert da strongman
03-08-2011, 10:46 AM
I am up to 214 now...will have to buy new summer clothes, plus pants and dress shirts for work. Taped my waist at 39 1/2" which is frightening me. On the bright side, I am getting stronger pretty quickly. Wish the weight would go to my chest instead of my sides!

being strong means you give up being pretty :p

congrats to your daughter