PDA

View Full Version : SLDL's

Por2gue
02-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Who's feeling these? I know the back gets hit as well, but I can't seem to feel more than just stretching with these in my hams. I have never felt like that muscle was really directly hit. Advice on these for feeling it more in my legs anyone? Yes. I've watched a shitload of vids of these being done, but something just aint right. I've tried as light as 135 to check my form, but still never ever get a feeling of that muscle being filled up with blood. I hate this since I know this is supposed to really hit my hams, I'm sure there is a sweet spot in the movement I'm missing.

Shadow
02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm just gonna pipe in and say that I want to know this too. I haven't done them in ages, just because I don't feel shit except in my lower back.

chasebny
02-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Put lying hamstring curls before them, then attempt them with dumbells with a pause at the stretch. Most people have to much bend in their knees, as well as changing that bend as they go. Lock your knees out, then bend them as little as you can so that they are no longer locked. Hold that position. Also, as you descend, stick your ass backwards so your hips drift back, this will help balance.

BK
02-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Remember the stretch you are getting from this movement is intense. You are essentially performing a very heavy eccentric action, which will develop the hamstrings. I am always sore after perfroming this movement because of this fact. I would not worry so much about the pump on this movement. Just think about what benefit you will be receiving from overall strength and size.

JYD
02-26-2009, 03:22 PM
i do them last in my hamstring workout and i do them with dumbells, i just feel them better this way... it took me a while to get the hang of em but i think ur alwasy gonna feel a lil in your lower back but the key for me was to minimize its involvement. I do this by not going too heavy and staying strict to my form... its one of those things where you won't feel it as much as a laying leg curl but i can tell it has ben working for me. I actually think Kai said in his article once that his coach told him to keep doin it although he couldn't really feel it until one day he looked in the mirror and had deisel hamstrings

GirlyMuscle
02-26-2009, 03:28 PM
This is one of the only things that KILLS my hams. I can barely walk for two days after. One thing to keep in mind is to bend by pushing your butt out, stand by pulling your butt in. The movement is more in the hips than the waist.

Wheels
02-26-2009, 03:31 PM
They work great for me. I would definitely recommend going nice and light at first to get the feel of the exercise and hitting both hams equally. I do them on a short platform that's slightly raised above the ground to get an amazing stretch. Assuming your form is good and your body favors the exercise your hammies should be engorged with blood after ward.

Pistol Pete
02-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Think about driving your heels into the ground while pushing your butt out on the way down. When I think about these two things while I do the exercise, my hammies are shot.

Por2gue
02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Well these responses sure give me something to think about next time I hit them.
Thanks!

robert da strongman
02-26-2009, 05:20 PM
i prefer romanian deadlifts.
feel the hams more.

orhochris
03-03-2009, 05:26 PM
folks often mix up or think their the same, but Stiff legged dead lifts are alright... but I prefer romanian deadlifts, or what DC calls parillo SLDL or some stuff like that.

it is basically just an intense eccentric contraction into an extreme stretch for those two... but it does definitely build the hamstrings. check over at intensemuscle.com for unique lifts under Doggcrapp training, Future might even have it in the DC sticky. it is worth while... much better than standard sldl.

hypocrisy86
03-06-2009, 06:38 PM
SLDLs off the floor, and always 3 inches off the ground no more when repping out
never ever touch. never really tried Romanian deads, might have to try that out..

Bubba Bronko
03-09-2009, 11:04 AM
I perfer RDLs off of a 4inch box. Did leg curls before I did RDL I couldnt walk right for almost 2 days.