PDA

View Full Version : AnglicanBeachParty's Arnold Challenge prep thread.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Down4whatever
01-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Man, I hope I can make gains in my back as fast as you did; looks like a different person with the added width! You da man!!

gman
01-19-2010, 09:36 AM
upper chest and shoulders have filled in as well.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Man, I hope I can make gains in my back as fast as you did; looks like a different person with the added width! You da man!!

Thanks, Matt.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-19-2010, 09:42 AM
upper chest and shoulders have filled in as well.

I think more than anything else, shoulders are what make me feel like a legit bodybuilder ...

Capt_lou
01-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Great change!

I think that your posing has gotten much better too.

gman
01-19-2010, 09:51 AM
I think more than anything else, shoulders are what make me feel like a legit bodybuilder ...

mine are disappearing rapidly, it has me worried

AnglicanBeachParty
01-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Great change!

I think that your posing has gotten much better too.

That's definitely part of it. I have been having some coaching on that aspect, but I'm a slow learner.

Just Saturday, I could not for the life of me remember how to properly do a side triceps pose. :dunno:

Capt_lou
01-19-2010, 09:56 AM
That's definitely part of it. I have been having some coaching on that aspect, but I'm a slow learner.

Just Saturday, I could not for the life of me remember how to properly do a side triceps pose. :dunno:

That is one of the things that I have already started working on. I am thinking of getting a posing coach to help me out, but have to find one in the cleveland area.

GeminiJedi
01-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Looking good! Nice gains. I see more lat width, too :)

buckimscl
01-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Nice progress over the last few years ABP.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Rats. Sick today.

First missed cardio session in 3 weeks. I have time to make it up later this week, though, if I start to feel better.

gman
01-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Rats. Sick today.

First missed cardio session in 3 weeks. I have time to make it up later this week, though, if I start to feel better.

We forgive you, get better soon!

FitnBuf
01-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Hope you feel better....you are looking great!

AnglicanBeachParty
01-20-2010, 06:40 AM
we forgive you, get better soon!

hope you feel better....you are looking great!

thanks!

AnglicanBeachParty
01-22-2010, 10:04 AM
My morning weight today was 173 pounds. On the attached plot, I now have 2 trend lines - one is the best fit linear regression for the entire time I've been preparing for Columbus. The second (steeper) one is the trend if I only consider data from New Year's Day until now.

Not quite sure how I'm doing this, since I'm still eating between 2450 and 2800 calories per day. My coaches are really smart, I guess. :yep:

gman
01-22-2010, 10:09 AM
I hate you...that's a bulking diet for me and I am 20 lbs heavier! Plus I do 2 hours of cardio a day

Down4whatever
01-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Dear Paul,

You suck!

Just kidding man, WTG!!!

gman
01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
ABP is the odds on favorite...I would put it at 1:2, bet 2 to win 1

Bob45
01-22-2010, 11:10 AM
My morning weight today was 173 pounds. On the attached plot, I now have 2 trend lines - one is the best fit linear regression for the entire time I've been preparing for Columbus. The second (steeper) one is the trend if I only consider data from New Year's Day until now.

Not quite sure how I'm doing this, since I'm still eating between 2450 and 2800 calories per day. My coaches are really smart, I guess. :yep:

It's easy. Muscle mass is how!

AnglicanBeachParty
01-22-2010, 11:16 AM
It's easy. Muscle mass is how!

True, that helps out, for sure!

gman
01-22-2010, 11:25 AM
my graph would be very strange. like the dow over the past year.

Bob45
01-22-2010, 11:42 AM
my graph would be very strange. like the dow over the past year.

My graph would be low for years then the past two years steadily heading up. Now finally back down.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Well, for last Monday's diet update, I pretty much skated through it with few caloric reductions.

This week, not so much.

Where are my carbs?! :dunno:

I haven't totalled up the calories yet, but some stuff has definitely been yanked ... I guess it is time to get serious!

AnglicanBeachParty
01-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Where are my carbs?! :dunno:

I haven't totalled up the calories yet, but some stuff has definitely been yanked ... I guess it is time to get serious!

I must've missed something the first time I read it through, because it is not a drastic reduction at all.

My higher calorie day has now gone from 2822 cal to 2591 cal. I think I can handle that.

joedemarco
01-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Do you plan on posting any progres pics? Best of luck and keep training hard!

AnglicanBeachParty
01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Do you plan on posting any progres pics? Best of luck and keep training hard!

I took some Saturday, but to my eye they look identical with the ones from a week ago (posted earlier in this thread). I may still post them, but I didn't see much progress that week.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-25-2010, 11:22 PM
These photos are from Saturday night, just under 6 weeks out from the Arnold Challenge, and 9 weeks out from my NPC contest. Weight was 174 pounds that day.

joedemarco
01-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Great job with your conditioning. Things are coming along. A quick suggestion on your back double bi. You look like you have a thick back and could probably show it off better if you bring your elbows back a little more. Your elbows are to far forward in the picture. Also, bring out one of your legs to hit your hams/calf. Best of luck in Columbus!

AnglicanBeachParty
01-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Great job with your conditioning. Things are coming along. A quick suggestion on your back double bi. You look like you have a thick back and could probably show it off better if you bring your elbows back a little more. Your elbows are to far forward in the picture. Also, bring out one of your legs to hit your hams/calf. Best of luck in Columbus!

I will try bringing my elbows back and see how that works. Someone (a few years back) suggested I move them further forward, and so I did that. I think their reasoning was that bringing my elbows too far back made my lats look narrow.

I know about the one-leg-back thing; I just keep forgetting to do it! (At my NPC contests, though, I think the head judge actually reminded us to do that.)

Thanks for your help!

Capt_lou
01-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Damn looking solid!

What do you think your final weight will be?

AnglicanBeachParty
01-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Damn looking solid!

What do you think your final weight will be?

I'm still carrying a good bit of fat on my butt. I think I will be around 163 for the Arnold on March 5, and about 158 to 160 for my NPC contest 3 weeks later.

Bob45
01-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Looks like you have this down to a science now.

Capt_lou
01-26-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm still carrying a good bit of fat on my butt. I think I will be around 163 for the Arnold on March 5, and about 158 to 160 for my NPC contest 3 weeks later.

How tall are you? I am just wondering all of this to see where my height and final weight will gauge against people.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-26-2010, 02:59 PM
How tall are you? I am just wondering all of this to see where my height and final weight will gauge against people.

I always say 5'9", but I think I might be about 0.25" short of that. So, same height as gman's new height!

AnglicanBeachParty
01-26-2010, 04:00 PM
You look very solid, great chest,back, arms, shoulders. You seem to be one of us predisposed to hold fluid and fat in the upper thighs. Aside from tighter diet and cardio, what are your plans to tackle this area? estro levels ok? using anything?

Definitely true.

I think with gman's legs and my upper body we could just about make a creditable bodybuilder between us. He has the opposite issue, as his legs are already ripped at ~15% bodyfat.

My estro levels are okay. My main strategy is to start contest prep earlier, so I can get leaner by the contest date. The problem with this before, is that I ended up looking really scrawny in my upper body (arms, deltoids, etc.). So, part of the plan has been to add upper body mass so that I don't look so "anorexic" on contest day.

My other problem is the lipoma (bening fatty tumors) which you can see on my abs and elsewhere in the above photos. Baldie has already given me some advice for getting those treated. I plan to get that done during my long offseason after my 2 contests.

gman
01-26-2010, 04:12 PM
We could be pretty shredded together, couldn't we ABP!?

I already am getting veins in my thighs and calves at 15%. I think I am 25% in the torso and 8-10% in my extremities. Weird body I have.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
My body had been fighting off getting a cold for more than a week, and then Tuesday night just went into full-blown cold/sore throat mode.

Doh!

If my nose is running can that count as cardio?

Baldiewonkanobi
01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Dry sauna available? Heat will help kill off that virus and dry up the head.

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
01-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Dry sauna available? Heat will help kill off that virus and dry up the head.

Baldie

Actually, the new gym I just joined 2 weeks ago has one.

THANKS for the idea!

gman
01-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Hope it gets better soon, ABP!

I used the dry sauna about a week ago when I forgot my towel...I was dry in 5 minutes!

freebirdmac
01-28-2010, 05:24 PM
We could be pretty shredded together, couldn't we ABP!?

I already am getting veins in my thighs and calves at 15%. I think I am 25% in the torso and 8-10% in my extremities. Weird body I have.

Not weird, I'm the same way in reverse.

freebirdmac
01-28-2010, 05:25 PM
My body had been fighting off getting a cold for more than a week, and then Tuesday night just went into full-blown cold/sore throat mode.

Doh!

If my nose is running can that count as cardio?

Do you supp with vitamin D?

AnglicanBeachParty
01-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Do you supp with vitamin D?

Probably not enough. There is some in the multi-mineral tab I take, but that's about it.

freebirdmac
01-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Probably not enough. There is some in the multi-mineral tab I take, but that's about it.

Everyone I know who has been tested was low. My colds all but disappeared after I got my levels up. I'm taking 50,000IU every other week :eek:

gman
01-28-2010, 05:51 PM
dr smo has me on a big dose, I think 10,000 IU a day.

apparently about 70-80% of us are low on it and it would save us billions a year in costs if people would take it. It's dirt cheap.

I had no idea it was considered a hormone.

Bob45
01-30-2010, 09:06 AM
The new avatar looks good.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Everyone I know who has been tested was low. My colds all but disappeared after I got my levels up. I'm taking 50,000IU every other week :eek:

No kidding!? THANKS, I will begin this!

apparently about 70-80% of us are low on it and it would save us billions a year in costs if people would take it. It's dirt cheap.

Who knew? :dunno:

The new avatar looks good.

Thanks, Bob.

buckimscl
01-30-2010, 10:18 AM
With all this talk of Vitamin D I think I will start to. Heck, it's cheap!!

AnglicanBeachParty
01-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Mike stated it was a hormone, it is a pro-hormone.

I'm glad it's a pro-hormone. I'm too "hardkore" to settle for amateur hormones! :D

Bob45
01-30-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm glad it's a pro-hormone. I'm too "hardkore" to settle for amateur hormones! :D

Almost as good as my jokes!

Asmolenski
01-30-2010, 04:08 PM

Mike -- lower it to 5000 iu a day for now - we will measure a level later. Here is an article I wrote for a local newspaper due to be published this week. For the general public it is safe to go up to 2000 iu a day. I always measure levels in my patients so I will place them on higher doses but will monitor their levels.

Dr Smo

Are you getting enough Vitamin D?

30 percent of Americans use vitamin and mineral supplements every day. Yet most adults have low vitamin D levels with an estimated 10 million Americans over age 50 diagnosed with osteoporosis. Vitamin D has long been known as the vitamin that cured rickets, but scientists today know that Vitamin D does much more than just make our bones strong. New research is showing that Vitamin D also helps protect us against cancer, diabetes, arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and even cardiovascular disease.
Vitamin D is not abundant in most American’s diets, so we get most of it from sun exposure and multivitamins. The problem is that not everyone gets enough sun exposure. The season, time of day, color of your skin, age and use of sun screen all affect your skin's ability to produce vitamin D. Also, most multivitamins contain vitamin D2, which does not deliver the same amount of the vitamin to your body as the more desirable D3 form.
Vitamin D is the only vitamin that is also a hormone. After Vitamin D is made by your skin or eaten, the kidneys and liver convert it into an active hormone. As a hormone, it controls calcium absorption to build strong bones and teeth, and helps to maintain muscle strength. When your vitamin D levels are low, your bones break down to supply calcium to the rest of your body. Most people living in the South Carolina can get enough vitamin D by getting about 10-15 minutes of sun exposure on their arms and face a few times a week -- as long as they don't use sunscreen, which blocks some of the UV rays necessary to make the vitamin. Since darker skin pigment reduces the skin's ability to synthesize vitamin D by 95%, darker skinned people need 5-10 times as much sun exposure to synthesize enough vitamin D. As long as sun exposure is for short periods of time it will not increase the risk of serious skin cancer such as melanoma.
The current recommended intake of vitamin D is 200 IUs (international units) for those up to age 50; 400 IUs for people 51-70; and 600 IUs for those older than 70. Requirements increase with age because older skin produces less vitamin D. But these recommendations date back to 1997. According to the Institute of Medicine Dietary Reference Intakes, the safe upper limit for vitamin D is 2,000 IUs for children, adults, and pregnant and lactating women. But since vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that is stored in the body, there's some concern it can be harmful in large doses. Studies published recently show the effectiveness of higher levels of vitamin D and that the current recommendations are not adequate to protect against osteoporosis or reduce the risk of common cancers, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and inflammation associated with cardiovascular diseases. The need for higher Vitamin D is especially important for older, dark-skinned, and housebound people.
Chances are you are not getting enough vitamin D for optimal health, so ask your doctor if you have a Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D deficiency can be diagnosed on the basis of a simple blood test that measures 25-vitamin D. Until then boost your D with safe sun exposure, supplement your diet with 1,000 IUs of vitamin D3 a day, and be sure to eat a variety of foods rich in vitamin D such as fortified milk, yogurt and cereals, catfish, salmon, tuna and egg yolks. By reducing the frequency of vitamin D deficiency, it is likely that many common, serious health disorders will lessen in frequency and severity.

Allen Smolenski, MD
Medical Director / Founder
Coastal Medical Clinic PC: Anti-Aging, Regenerative and Functional Medicine

Bob45
01-30-2010, 04:12 PM
I take 5000 I.U. a day too.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Mike -- lower it to 5000 iu a day for now - we will measure a level later. Here is an article I wrote for a local newspaper due to be published this week. For the general public it is safe to go up to 2000 iu a day. I always measure levels in my patients so I will place them on higher doses but will monitor their levels.

Dr Smo

Thanks for the article!!

Asmolenski
01-30-2010, 04:33 PM
I thought 10,000 was a lot, but you're the Doctor. I take 2000 a day.

10,000 iu a day is too much - Mike is supposed to be on 5,000 iu a day. Most people can handle 2,000 iu a day safely -- but if I measure your level and you are low then it is safe to use higher doses but we need to monitor you.

Dr Smo

gman
01-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Can I take 10000 every other day or should I cut the pills in half doc?

gman
01-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Nope. Not prescription

Asmolenski
01-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Can I take 10000 every other day or should I cut the pills in half doc?

Either way.

joedemarco
01-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Hey ABP, just checking in. Hope the training is going well.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Hey ABP, just checking in. Hope the training is going well.

Hi, things are getting back on track now. I had some low-energy days due to a bad head cold, but I felt strong during cardio tonight. We'll soon see how that perceived strength translated into a 5:45am leg workout!

On another topic, I bought this DVD shortly after it came out. The documentary maker is dieting and training for his first bodybuilding competition, and he does a good job of explaining what all is involved.

Interestingly, I ended up competing at the same contest as this guy. He was in the Masters and I was in the Grand Masters, so we weren't on stage together, but I do remember seeing him.

kuygZX3HKSQ

blu2xtreme
01-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Cool clip , thanks for posting
it's amazing what a human is capable of when we want it bad enough

gman
02-01-2010, 06:47 AM
I am gonna be that guy! It really is tougher than I ever expected it to be. Our bodies just don't like this to be done to them!

I might have to try to order that so my family and friends can watch and see what it takes.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-01-2010, 10:36 AM
My experience tells me that family and friends will NEVER understand unless they too have a passion for a physical
endurance sport like 10Ks (where they run not walk) cycling for time trials or age group
MA tournaments. You can show them these tapes over and over again and you will get 'oh yeah I get' lip service back with no real understanding. Gentlemen you are FREAKS of nature and I do understand.

Baldie

Capt_lou
02-01-2010, 10:48 AM
My experience tells me that family and friends will NEVER understand unless they too have a passion for a physical
endurance sport like 10Ks (where they run not walk) cycling for time trials or age group
MA tournaments. You can show them these tapes over and over again and you will get 'oh yeah I get' lip service back with no real understanding. Gentlemen you are FREAKS of nature and I do understand.

Baldie

I have long given up on explaining to anyone why I do this.

AnglicanBeachParty
02-01-2010, 01:34 PM

Baldie

I have long given up on explaining to anyone why I do this.

It's all true, yes.

However, instead of my family thinking I am the only crazy one like this, they now know that I am part of a "syndrome" ... having a DVD of some guy doing the same crazy dieting and training somehow makes it a little bit less crazy for me (in their eyes).

AnglicanBeachParty
02-02-2010, 11:11 AM
This morning at 5:45 am in my local gym ... it was the busiest morning I've ever seen. We have a very tenacious crop of New Year's Resolutioners this year. We may have gotten a few new ones who signed up at the beginning of January, and just realized it is now February and they hadn't started yet.

If this keeps up, I will have to drive a bit farther to the Powerhouse gym. One guy was doing pushups on a fit-ball in the Smith Machine. :mad: I hate waiting for equipment.

In other news, I weigh 171 pounds today. Diet coaches took my tablespoon of PB away ... :byeb:

One highlight of the weekend was getting my son to train back/biceps with me. He is 15 years old, and coming along nicely. He will be stronger than I am on some exercises soon.

One cool thing is that now I can start to see the "split" now in my right biceps. More fat on the left arm, or not as pronounced a split. I'm hoping that this will actually be visible in Columbus ... 4.5 weeks away!

joedemarco
02-02-2010, 01:04 PM
This morning at 5:45 am in my local gym ... it was the busiest morning I've ever seen. We have a very tenacious crop of New Year's Resolutioners this year. We may have gotten a few new ones who signed up at the beginning of January, and just realized it is now February and they hadn't started yet.

If this keeps up, I will have to drive a bit farther to the Powerhouse gym. One guy was doing pushups on a fit-ball in the Smith Machine. :mad: I hate waiting for equipment.

In other news, I weigh 171 pounds today. Diet coaches took my tablespoon of PB away ... :byeb:

One highlight of the weekend was getting my son to train back/biceps with me. He is 15 years old, and coming along nicely. He will be stronger than I am on some exercises soon.

One cool thing is that now I can start to see the "split" now in my right biceps. More fat on the left arm, or not as pronounced a split. I'm hoping that this will actually be visible in Columbus ... 4.5 weeks away!

Sounds like you are right on track, ABP! By the way, I've been training my 14 year old (he got the weight lifting bug a few weeks ago). It's a lot of fun training him. Funny how quickly the young kids make progress. He already looks bigger and more defined. Which I could make progress like that!

buckimscl
02-03-2010, 05:31 AM
I got my Vitamin D3 in liquid form. I am taking 5000IU a day.

AnglicanBeachParty
02-03-2010, 09:25 AM
So, I did the Leptin loading thing on Saturday.

I didn't add it up, but I must've had about 4000 Calories that day. Lot's of carbs, somewhat less protein.

I took a 2-lb hit the next day (it's the last up-tic on the green line on the attached chart) but now by Wednesday I am down 2 lbs. Morning weight today was 170 lb. My metabolism must be really cooking now ... I'm still eating around 2400-2500 calories a day.

I'm looking to be 162 or 163 pounds at Columbus.

I'm losing weight fast enough (see attached plot) that my coaches actually reduced my weekly cardio! I don't think they ever did that in my other 2 contest preps.

bcapprentice
02-04-2010, 06:48 PM
reduced[/I] my weekly cardio! I don't think they ever did that in my other 2 contest preps.

What's this about coaches, plural? How many do you have?

gman
02-04-2010, 06:52 PM
That's cool ABP, hope to be that fast metabolism someday

AnglicanBeachParty
02-04-2010, 11:04 PM
What's this about coaches, plural? How many do you have?

My coaches are a husband / wife team. They are NPC judges in Colorado.

So, it's not like I'm listening to 2 different diet coaches. There is just one plan ...

... which, unfortunately no longer has peanut butter on it! :byeb:

blu2xtreme
02-04-2010, 11:25 PM
My coaches are a husband / wife team. They are NPC judges in Colorado.

So, it's not like I'm listening to 2 different diet coaches. There is just one plan ...

... which, unfortunately no longer has peanut butter on it! :byeb:

I feel for you ...I have become addicted to peanut butter...I didn't eat for years now I have it almost twice a day - I need to break the cycle:)

AnglicanBeachParty
02-05-2010, 06:20 AM
That's cool ABP, hope to be that fast metabolism someday

I have good hopes for you, Mike, in this regard.

Because, apparently the body can be trained to have a fast metabolism. Mine was normally slow my whole life until I got more serious about the bodybuilding a few years ago.

AnglicanBeachParty
02-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Ack!

Someone in my office is making THE best-smelling toast.

A couple slices of that with butter would by way better than sex right now.

:drool: :no: :mad: :hypno:

AnglicanBeachParty
02-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Say what, butter is better than sex? Don't tell that to your partner.:no:

Well, not on an equal basis. But you always crave what you're not getting, eh?

joedemarco
02-05-2010, 09:02 AM
ABP, you are going to be ripped to shreds at 162!

AnglicanBeachParty
02-05-2010, 12:00 PM
ABP, you are going to be ripped to shreds at 162!

Thanks, Joe.

That is the plan!

I'm completely confident that my upper body will be ripped. I've always had trouble seeing quad separation, and with getting the fat to come off my glutes. I'm ahead of where I was for the last contest, though, so I'm hoping!

AnglicanBeachParty
02-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Wow, it has been a while since I have posted in here.

I'm down to 169 pounds today.

It's 3 weeks from March 5 ... getting really close now! :hypno:

AnglicanBeachParty
02-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Yeah ABP, what's up with the lack of logging?

Time for some new pics too!

Okay, these photos are from Saturday, February 6. I weighed in at 170 pounds the morning of the day these were taken.

AnglicanBeachParty
02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
great shots!

you need some light coming from your left side too or directly overhead. It's throwing your perceived symmetry off.

Thanks.

I know what you mean. It was kind of on purpose. If I make the light brighter on the right side of the pictures, it washes out the shadows, and I look a lot smoother ... so it is kind of a tradeoff.

HeavyDutyGuy
02-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Looking very lean! You're going to be shredded! Good going. But hey, work on the poses, they're off, and its killing your impressiveness. Most check your shoulder, arm, and leg angles. I think if you present extremely well and come in shredded, you'll kick ass!

gman
02-12-2010, 01:03 PM
ABP I concede the conditioning trophy!

You are looking pretty lean, what are you 5 or 6 weeks out from your show?

AnglicanBeachParty
02-12-2010, 01:36 PM
ABP I concede the conditioning trophy!

You are looking pretty lean, what are you 5 or 6 weeks out from your show?

Yep, 6 weeks from tomorrow ...

AnglicanBeachParty
02-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Looking very lean! You're going to be shredded! Good going. But hey, work on the poses, they're off, and its killing your impressiveness. Most check your shoulder, arm, and leg angles. I think if you present extremely well and come in shredded, you'll kick ass!

I totally agree.

One of my problems is that I've gotten too much advice, most of it contrary to the other advice, so that I end up not learning anything.

One person says bring the elbows back in the double biceps poses, and another person says bring them forward more.

I'm hoping to catch an hour in person with my coach in Columbus, in between the Arnold activities, to work on it in person. I think I could learn it more permanently that way.

gman
02-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I heard that elbow back vs forward crap too.

forward makes my lats show more, so forward it is!

AnglicanBeachParty
02-13-2010, 08:03 AM
You know, they say that bodybuilding is a selfish and narcissistic pursuit, and there is some truth to that.

But then, explain this: My greatest joy in the whole endeavor is passing it on to my 15-year old son. In about 45 minutes, we will go train chest and shoulders together.

(I always seem to lift better when we train together. He's a very good spotter, too.)

gman
02-13-2010, 08:15 AM
sounds like a blast!

Of course you lift better when you're with him: competition

AnglicanBeachParty
02-13-2010, 08:17 AM
sounds like a blast!

Of course you lift better when you're with him: competition

It's competition now ... he can only out-do me on abs and maybe one other exercise. In two years, if he keeps lifting, he will bury me on all lifts.

He squatted 190 pretty easily last Saturday. His weakest link on squats is, incredibly, that he doesn't like the way the bar feels sitting on his traps.

joedemarco
02-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Looking good, ABP!

Baldiewonkanobi
02-13-2010, 01:34 PM
... which, unfortunately no longer has peanut butter on it! :byeb:[/quote]

and and and you still talk to them?? NO P NUTT BUTTER ??

Baldie

PS The up/down on the Leptin load was no doubt the evil SODIUM.

AnglicanBeachParty
02-13-2010, 02:06 PM
and and and you still talk to them?? NO P NUTT BUTTER ??

They must be lurking in this thread, because they added it back in ... LOL.

gman
02-13-2010, 02:51 PM
They must be lurking in this thread, because they added it back in ... LOL.

I have been eating enough for you and me both! :hypno:

I have advice on the posing after one session...puff your chest up higher and think wide in your upper body!

MsGuns
02-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Paul, looking good bro!
Im liking the belt, I have a Flex with drex belt!

MsGuns
02-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Happy Luv Day Paul!

AnglicanBeachParty
02-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Paul, looking good bro!
Im liking the belt, I have a Flex with drex belt!

Thanks, Drexel! I think I knew about your belt. It might even have been the inspiration for mine.

Columbus prep update:

1) My weight has hit a plateau, around 171 pounds. I was down to 169 one morning, but have been steady at 171-172 pounds the last few days. I don't think I'll be quite as light in Columbus as I previously predicted.

2) I have reached gman's coveted 10" differential between chest and waist measurements. I am 42" in the chest, 31" in the waist this morning.

3) To build excitement for the Master's Challenge on March 5, I am going to quit publishing my progress pics here. Y'all will just have to guess whether I've been progressing, or stopping at DQ on the way home. ;)

Something needs to be left for the imagination, to make people curioius enough to come and actually watch the event!

AnglicanBeachParty
02-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Maybe it is just the restricted-calorie diet playing with my head that gave me this idea for music to pose to.

But, really, what could be more natural for a contest-prepped bodybuilder than a song called "Hungry"??

iY4rIFc3JVA

freebirdmac
02-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Ohmygosh! Paul Revere and the Raiders! Wow. Hadn't thought about them in years :D

AnglicanBeachParty
02-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Ohmygosh! Paul Revere and the Raiders! Wow. Hadn't thought about them in years :D

It would be a cool "inside joke" to pose to something like that.

Nobody but the Masters would even know what it was!

joedemarco
02-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Good luck ABP! Sounds like you are right on track with your diet/training!

Baldiewonkanobi
02-18-2010, 11:24 AM

I think my kids were into them.

Baldie

gman
02-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks, Drexel! I think I knew about your belt. It might even have been the inspiration for mine.

Columbus prep update:

1) My weight has hit a plateau, around 171 pounds. I was down to 169 one morning, but have been steady at 171-172 pounds the last few days. I don't think I'll be quite as light in Columbus as I previously predicted.

2) I have reached gman's coveted 10" differential between chest and waist measurements. I am 42" in the chest, 31" in the waist this morning.

3) To build excitement for the Master's Challenge on March 5, I am going to quit publishing my progress pics here. Y'all will just have to guess whether I've been progressing, or stopping at DQ on the way home. ;)

Something needs to be left for the imagination, to make people curioius enough to come and actually watch the event!

Good job on the chest waist thing...I am at 7" difference (42/35), so I need to get lipo I think! lol

trying to figure out how I can only weigh 16lbs more than you, but have a 4" bigger waist and the same chest size

AnglicanBeachParty
02-19-2010, 12:27 PM
You may have missed this:

RX Muscle Forums

Yes, I am now famous.

Well, not really, but it was cool to have my art published anyhow.

HeavyDutyGuy
02-19-2010, 03:43 PM
You may have missed this:

RX Muscle Forums (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=30267)

Yes, I am now famous.

Well, not really, but it was cool to have my art published anyhow.

Cool deal! Congrats!

AnglicanBeachParty
02-21-2010, 09:54 PM
In my experience, you don't go hunting for the perfect workout. It is seldom found that way. You plod along, doing what you think and feel is right, just because it seems right, and a lot of those workouts on the way to the perfect workout ... are pretty average.

Then, when you are not even expecting it, the perfect workout finds you ...

This happened to me for my back/abs/biceps workout Saturday morning.

I joined an "extra" gym, this one set up for more serious bodybuilders. Up until now, I had mostly used it for late night cardio, since it has 24/7 access for members. The Fitness 19 around the corner from my house is just too close to pass up, most mornings when I'm running a bit late for work.

But Saturday, around 7am, I went to the Powerhouse Gym, my new gym. It was awesome. The equipment looks old, but every pulley in the place runs smooth and true. I think they must have a full-time guy going around to lubricate them.

Everything was just right. I expected a big crowd on a Saturday morning, but it was very sparse and quiet. I do my best training in that kind of environment. And everything just seemed to click.

From the first lat pulldown rep to the last preacher curl rep, it was just smooth. I'm not saying that I was any stronger, but I seemed to be in harmony with the weights.

I'm not explaining it very well, but I'm sure you all have had those workouts in which, for no discernible reason, things just go better than usual. This was definitely one of those times for me.

FitnBuf
02-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Sounds great Man!!! I love Sat workouts too. For some reason my gym is emtpy and I do not have to rush....I am so glad you enjoyed your workout, makes it worth it!

AnglicanBeachParty
02-22-2010, 09:48 AM
My weight is moving down again. Or, should I say, it plateaued at 171 pounds for a while, and now has settled at 168 pounds.

Overall, I am not losing weight as quickly as for previous contests.

From the attached plots, I would guesstimate that I'll be 165 pounds at the Arnold.

gman
02-22-2010, 10:17 AM
i think I will be at 188 at the Arnold. I have been eating a lot lately....just ate the whole container of cottage cheese, it was supposed to be two meals!

Glad you got a few lbs off ABP!

AnglicanBeachParty
02-22-2010, 10:38 AM
i think I will be at 188 at the Arnold. I have been eating a lot lately....just ate the whole container of cottage cheese, it was supposed to be two meals!

It will make for an interesting comparison.

Twenty-plus pounds is a lot to give up ...

Bob45
02-22-2010, 10:45 AM
In my experience, you don't go hunting for the perfect workout. It is seldom found that way. You plod along, doing what you think and feel is right, just because it seems right, and a lot of those workouts on the way to the perfect workout ... are pretty average.

Then, when you are not even expecting it, the perfect workout finds you ...

This happened to me for my back/abs/biceps workout Saturday morning.

I joined an "extra" gym, this one set up for more serious bodybuilders. Up until now, I had mostly used it for late night cardio, since it has 24/7 access for members. The Fitness 19 around the corner from my house is just too close to pass up, most mornings when I'm running a bit late for work.

But Saturday, around 7am, I went to the Powerhouse Gym, my new gym. It was awesome. The equipment looks old, but every pulley in the place runs smooth and true. I think they must have a full-time guy going around to lubricate them.

Everything was just right. I expected a big crowd on a Saturday morning, but it was very sparse and quiet. I do my best training in that kind of environment. And everything just seemed to click.

From the first lat pulldown rep to the last preacher curl rep, it was just smooth. I'm not saying that I was any stronger, but I seemed to be in harmony with the weights.

I'm not explaining it very well, but I'm sure you all have had those workouts in which, for no discernible reason, things just go better than usual. This was definitely one of those times for me.

Actually you explained it very well and I feel the same. Some days it's just there for some reason.

gman
02-22-2010, 10:59 AM
It will make for an interesting comparison.

Twenty-plus pounds is a lot to give up ...

we will get to see fat vs lean, that's for sure!

AnglicanBeachParty
02-25-2010, 10:36 AM
I weighed 167 this morning.

I suppose with dropping water for the Masters Challenge, I might show up at 162-163 after all.

My waist is steady at 30.5" these days, and finally, some fat is coming off my butt (down to 37" now) ... I've got a ways to go before stepping up on that NPC stage, though.

Legs ... starting to show separation, but nothing like gman's.

gman
02-25-2010, 12:44 PM
I am not going to drop water, so I am conceding! Concentrating on my real show in May. My coach told me not to worry about killing myself to win a body transformation contest, so I am just going to do what I am doing and maybe come it at 184-5

You got the abs, I got the legs...will be interesting to see what they like better!

Hard to believe my legs can look that cut when I have a 35.25" waist.

AnglicanBeachParty
02-28-2010, 06:52 PM
I had to do a lot of alteration on this shirt to make it fit ... even though it is size "Med/Large" (the smallest size they sell), the bottoms of the armholes originally fell below the elastic waist of my workout pants.

So, I hijacked the wife's sewing machine, and here is the result:

gman
02-28-2010, 07:37 PM
you look like you are in great condition from what I can see.

Might have to drug your protein shake to beat you...

AnglicanBeachParty
02-28-2010, 08:25 PM
you look like you are in great condition from what I can see.

Might have to drug your protein shake to beat you...

LOL. I'll have a friend test it first.

You're dialing it in ABP. Look great. Add some color.

Thanks. I've been tanning, but it seems like the only color I'm able to add is pink. Well the spray tan on Friday morning should take care of that.

I can't believe it is so close already.

Bob45
03-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Good luck at the Arnold and have a great time. I'm headed to Florida today. I'll see how you guys did next week.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-01-2010, 12:07 PM
APB does that new Avitar with an RX tank (looking damn mighty by the way) start the smack down? Mike, flash him a leg shot in your Species tank.

We need some pre Columbus shit stired here :yep:

Baldie

Okay, here we go ...

Some pics I've been holding back. I'm about one pound leaner and 0.5" smaller in the waist than in these pics:

AnglicanBeachParty
03-01-2010, 12:25 PM
I know some of you have been curious in the past what the "Anglican" part of AnglicanBeachParty means.

If you're going to attend the Arnold this year, and will still be around on Sunday morning, here is your chance to find out!

I found this traditional Anglican parish (http://www.christchurchanglican.org/), about 3/4 mile north of the Expo. I'll be attending the 10:00 AM Holy Communion service on Sunday, March 7. Anyone who is curious to see what Anglican worship is like ... come on along!

gman
03-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Hey ABP, try sitting down into your side chest to make your hams pop out. My coach had me do that and it made a big difference.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Hey ABP, try sitting down into your side chest to make your hams pop out. My coach had me do that and it made a big difference.

My coaches told me that, too. But it looks like I have relapsed into my former ways!

gman
03-01-2010, 12:39 PM
another tip since I feel nice, do the spiking of calf and the arm pulling back part while facing straight ahead, and then look at the judges. don't turn anything but your head to face them.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-01-2010, 01:39 PM
another tip since I feel nice, do the spiking of calf and the arm pulling back part while facing straight ahead, and then look at the judges. don't turn anything but your head to face them.

Presuming I understand what you're saying here, Mike, I have to disagree.

The judges need to see past your near-side pec to see the far-side one. To allow that, you have to rotate at the waist. Check the PJ Braun photo you just posted in your thread, to see what I mean.

gman
03-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Maybe it's because my chest is weak so you don't show what you don't have.

All I know is he had me get everything ready looking straight ahead and then he said "now look at me" I turned my waist to look, and he went "gotcha! I said look at me, not turn and look at me." I wish I could remember, almost seems he said it's a "side chest' not a "front on chest"

If you look at my pic below PJ's, I am in almost identical position. Just by turning my head to look, it brought my chest to the correct position, it seems.

would be interesting to hear the whys and why nots of that.

joedemarco
03-01-2010, 02:33 PM
The updated avitar looks great, ABP!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-03-2010, 08:31 AM
What with getting ready to drive to Columbus tomorrow, it is really hard to stay focused at work today.

I'm looking forward to the Masters Challenge very much.

Mike, will it be a bad thing if wear royal blue posing trunks? I think that is the color you're using? I can just hear the audience cheering: Give it to the guy in the blue trunks! That could be confusing.

gman
03-03-2010, 09:52 AM
What with getting ready to drive to Columbus tomorrow, it is really hard to stay focused at work today.

I'm looking forward to the Masters Challenge very much.

Mike, will it be a bad thing if wear royal blue posing trunks? I think that is the color you're using? I can just hear the audience cheering: Give it to the guy in the blue trunks! That could be confusing.

We will both win then, so no biggie!

I don't have a choice, it's the only pair I have that fit!

I got my show trunks yesterday, but they are 135-165 weight range!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-03-2010, 11:34 AM
I am used to fending off verbal attacks from those who claim that bodybuilding is somehow gay or metrosexual.

But, after looking more closely at my "To Do Before Columbus" list, I pretty much have to concede that they have a point.

To Do Before Columbus

1) Shave entire body.

2) Exfoliate.

3) Moisturize skin.

4) Pack exfoliating gloves.

5) Apply clear nail polish to fingernails and toenails (to keep
spray tan from staining them).

It is sad to see what this sport makes you into. :D

Fortunately, to cancel out all of that froo-froo stuff, I have a fistful of cigars for me and my friend F.A. Harper to smoke up whilst in Columbus.

gman
03-03-2010, 11:38 AM
I have to admit, I felt pretty gay today when everyone was laughing at my spray tan!

gman
03-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Get used to it and remember they're laughing at themselves and their inability to do what you did.

Exactly right...I did notice none of the women were averting there eyes...it was all men making fun of me! Jealousy

gman
03-03-2010, 03:34 PM
ABP, do you know where we can go before our contest to get pumped up or do we just have to pushups in the middle of the floor?

AnglicanBeachParty
03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
ABP, do you know where we can go before our contest to get pumped up or do we just have to pushups in the middle of the floor?

I don't know the layout of the Expo floor yet (i.e., what's next to the Species Booth). Sometimes there are equipment companies that might let us "test" out their dumbells, etc.

My actual plan, though was to just bring a rubber strap thingy and pump up with that, in addition to pushups.

It would be cool if we could do that somewhere out of sight of the audience, so it would make more impact when we came into view. I don't know if that'll be possible. :dunno:

gman
03-03-2010, 03:52 PM
cool, I will be there most of the day so I should be able to scope somewhere out for us.

Baldiewonkanobi
03-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Is there a man crush going on here OR are we gonna have a rockem sockem kickem in the balls pose down Friday?? Good grief!! I want my moneys worth damnit.

Baldie

blu2xtreme
03-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Is there a man crush going on here OR are we gonna have a rockem sockem kickem in the balls pose down Friday?? Good grief!! I want my moneys worth damnit.

Baldie

They are both to sweet aren't they ?

Good luck to you ABP...looking forward to meeting you and your wife at the Arnold.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-04-2010, 06:17 AM

Baldie

Sorry about that. I will be making menacing faces during the posedown. I've been studying Phil Heath videos.

They are both to sweet aren't they ?

Good luck to you ABP...looking forward to meeting you and your wife at the Arnold.

I'm looking forward to it, too! My wife won't be coming, though; she has to hold down the fort at home.

gman
03-04-2010, 06:18 AM
I do have a mean side, no one here has seen it...maybe I will let it out Friday!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Enjoy the show...safe trip. PICs we want PICs.

:byeb:

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
03-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm here in Columbus now.

I forgot 5 or 6 things, but the camera was not one of them. So, there should be pics!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I did a little posing practice tonight in the hotel room. Not much room to maneuver in the bathroom, and lousy photographs. Also, struggling with low-tech photo editing capability on the laptop I borrowed from my daughter.

Anyhow, this is approximately what I look like tonight. I seem to be holding some water ... but starting to get crazy vascular, especially in the forearms.

It is hard to assess anything in this Distort-o mirror they have in this place ...

GeminiJedi
03-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Heeeey!! Good luck to you!!!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Heeeey!! Good luck to you!!!

Thanks! It'll be fun in any case!

MsGuns
03-05-2010, 12:50 AM
See ya 2morrow...
Looking good...

AnglicanBeachParty
03-05-2010, 06:43 AM
See ya 2morrow...
Looking good...

Thanks, Drexel!

Well, I couldn't sleep too well last night.

Too much excitement, I guess.

I'm up now, had breakfast, and ready to go get spray-tanned.

Here is a pic I snapped out the window in the middle of the night, when I couldn't sleep ...

Baldiewonkanobi
03-05-2010, 03:12 PM
We have 2 windows of the action going....HAVE A GREAT TIME.

Baldie

freebirdmac
03-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Good luck!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Great prep ABP. Congrats on your showing.

Baldie

freebirdmac
03-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Congrats!!!

blu2xtreme
03-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Great meeting you ...and thanks for being so nice - it was nice to see a friendly face in that massive crowd.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Great prep ABP. Congrats on your showing.

Baldie

Thanks, Baldie. It was a really good dress rehearsal for my show in 3 weeks.

Congrats!!!

Thank you!

Great meeting you ...and thanks for being so nice - it was nice to see a friendly face in that massive crowd.

No, thank you! It was great to meet you and your friends, and to talk with you.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-05-2010, 11:36 PM
See ya 2morrow...
Looking good...

Missed you today - Are you at the Expo tomorrow?

fatbackgoal
03-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Great job yesterday!!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-06-2010, 07:43 AM
More pics please. None of Rick? None of Bucki? and, none of Ed Cook over in the Cellucore booth.

Come on snap those shots for us......

Baldie

buckimscl
03-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Great job Paul. Nice to meet ya.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-06-2010, 11:03 AM
have fun in Ohio and enjoy a cheat meal :)

Breakfast tomorrow, for sure!

Great job Paul. Nice to meet ya.

Likewise!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-06-2010, 01:06 PM
More pics please. None of Rick? None of Bucki? and, none of Ed Cook over in the Cellucore booth.

Baldie

Here's one of Rick and me. He kinda dwarfs me, eh?

bodyhard
03-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Here's one of Rick and me. He kinda dwarfs me, eh?

Damn how tall is Rick or better yet how short are you? :D

blu2xtreme
03-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Here's A few pics from Metro Fitness
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss190/blu2xtreme/032-3.jpg

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss190/blu2xtreme/021-1.jpg

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss190/blu2xtreme/008-2.jpg

AnglicanBeachParty
03-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Damn how tall is Rick or better yet how short are you? :D

I'm 5'9" ... if I recall, he said he was 6'5" ??

AnglicanBeachParty
03-06-2010, 10:43 PM

THANKS for these pics, blu ... you made my day!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-07-2010, 05:51 AM
I love each pic....thanks.

Rick is a bu bu bu big boy!!!

Baldie

fatbackgoal
03-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Pleasure to meet you and thanks for the spot!!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Pleasure to meet you and thanks for the spot!!

It was AWESOME meeting you! I hope one day I can do incline presses with that weight.

I still maintain you do not look old enough to be in the "Masters" category!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Awesome picture Paul !!

Thanks, Cam!

bcapprentice
03-07-2010, 07:00 PM

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss190/blu2xtreme/021-1.jpg

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss190/blu2xtreme/008-2.jpg

Impressive small waist! And how was mass this morning?

AnglicanBeachParty
03-07-2010, 07:20 PM

Thanks!

Mass was glorious! They have 3 priests at that parish, so it must be doing okay.

I will attach some pics.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-07-2010, 07:21 PM

Oh, wait ... were you asking about muscle mass?? LOL.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks to my worthy opponent (gman), the Masters Challenge video is now posted on YouTube!

Thanks, Mike!!

JD4aqRCdk0Y

MsGuns
03-08-2010, 12:51 AM
CONGRATS Paul! It was GREAT meetin you! WoW you look pretty lean in the pics Blu posted!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-08-2010, 01:05 AM
CONGRATS Paul! It was GREAT meetin you! WoW you look pretty lean in the pics Blu posted!

Thanks, Drexel! It was (as Arnold might say) fentestik meeting you! You look even more amazing in person than in your photos!

blu2xtreme
03-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Nice avi Paul :)

AnglicanBeachParty
03-08-2010, 06:39 PM
it looks like it was all worth it! what is the next endeavor? after eating your weight back up 10lbs!

Well, I don't get to eat that much right away. I have an NPC contest here in Detroit on March 27. After that, I won't compete again until 2013, so then I will gain considerably more than 10 pounds ... :hypno:

Nice avi Paul :)

Yes, I had an "ace" photographer friend of mine take that shot! ;)

Mike Pulcinella
03-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Awesome picture Paul !!

You old fart! You look great!!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-08-2010, 08:36 PM
You old fart! You look great!!

Thanks, Mike. I looked around for you, but it must've been a very busy weekend for you!

That's a great picture. You have definitely improved with each contest.

Thanks. Progress always seems too slow for my liking. But just moving in the right direction is a good thing.

My goal is to eat big for 3 years and lift much heavier objects! :yep:

Baldiewonkanobi
03-09-2010, 07:28 AM
and in 3 years you just might be the last man in Detroit the way that sad City is headed. Eat big/lift big.....yes. Love that.

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
and in 3 years you just might be the last man in Detroit the way that sad City is headed. Eat big/lift big.....yes. Love that.

Baldie

Yes, the place does seem to be emptying out ... which is a shame.

Here are pics from Saturday in Columbus. My first time outdoors in posing trunks with snow on the ground! The sun made it quite comfortable.

gman
03-09-2010, 10:30 AM
That natural light really shows the details. You look great

Mike Pulcinella
03-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks, Mike. I looked around for you, but it must've been a very busy weekend for you!

It was CRAAAAAZY! I never stopped moving! Hope you had a good time.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-10-2010, 11:27 AM
I have just 17 days until my NPC contest here in Detroit.

I'm relatively injury free. About the only thing bugging me is that the cardio is really getting on my nerves right about now! No big deal; I always feel that way. I'm getting it all in, and keeping on track.

It will be really interesting to see who shows up at this contest, and how good they are. I hope we get a decent turnout in the Grand Masters. It doesn't seem as much fun just posing up there with 2 other guys ...

FitnBuf
03-10-2010, 11:41 AM
I cant stand cardio either. Always been the worst for me....keep it up tho! Your almost there and your looking awesome

gman
03-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Glad I have a new coach who doesn't believe in cardio!

esplendido
03-10-2010, 12:50 PM

Baldie

How about this:

esplendido
03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Was with Lori Braun and her business partner Chris, who wanted to try a hooka joint on campus. We walked in and were the only non-middle eastern people there....LOL! I discovered that I really, really don't like hookas! Oh, and Lori owns Femalemuscle.com....hence the copyright in the lower right of the pic.

esplendido
03-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Expo stalking (Lori and Rick)

AnglicanBeachParty
03-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Was with Lori Braun and her business partner Chris, who wanted to try a hooka joint on campus. We walked in and were the only non-middle eastern people there....LOL! I discovered that I really, really don't like hookas! Oh, and Lori owns Femalemuscle.com....hence the copyright in the lower right of the pic.

Lori looked good in those EJM jeans she was trying on!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I roomed with a photographer at the Arnold. His models seemed to like my Hot Rod Anglican t-shirts ...

gman
03-11-2010, 09:57 AM
I read that post at first as if you roomed with the model!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-11-2010, 10:31 AM
I read that post at first as if you roomed with the model!

LOL. No, that didn't happen ...

Baldiewonkanobi
03-12-2010, 06:06 AM
16 days.....chit. Freakin exciting. Guide us day by day and take lots of picks (with models).

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
03-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Hey Paul! Just wanted to peek in and tell you what a great job you're doing! Super proud of you.

And for your info. I hate cardio too, but it does the job!

Understood, Tracy. (For those who may not know, IslandGirl and her husband ParadiseCup are my contest prep coaches.)

16 days.....chit. Freakin exciting. Guide us day by day and take lots of picks (with models).

Baldie

I will try to do so.

Weight is up a bit this morning (168 pounds). I was neutral for the Arnold weekend, in spite of two cheat breakfasts. Then, after returning home, I gained 2 or 3 pounds.

I will post progress photos Saturday night.

gman
03-12-2010, 09:35 AM
I will be darned if I know Paul but I lost weight this week somehow!

Look forward to following your contest prep the rest of the way!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-12-2010, 08:53 PM
My body is trying really hard to catch a cough/cold/sore throat thingy. I am taking all the usual stuff my wife recommends for chasing it away.

I'm a little behind on my sleep, too. I just took a nap, though, which helped.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-13-2010, 08:09 AM
My nefarious plan to get my 15-year-old son, Eliot, interested in weightlifting and bodybuilding is starting to take off.

We usually lift together on Saturdays. But this semester, he is taking a "Body and Weight" class at his high school. This has really inspired him. I mean, it is one thing working out with Dad, but another thing entirely when he has the opportunity to have bragging rights over his peers!

Supposedly, he squatted 295x7 yesterday. He said he went parallel. This will have to be verified in some future Saturday session. It's possible, because up until now, his limitation has been how much weight he can comfortable set on his traps. At his school, they have one of those "Manta Ray" devices, which spreads the load more evenly over traps and shoulders.

Eliot is about 6' even, currently weighing in around 180 pounds, I think. He is probably too shy ever to step up on a bodybuilding stage, but there is no reason he shouldn't look like a bodybuilder!

gman
03-13-2010, 10:25 AM
That's great Paul! Lifelong passion for lifting would be a very healthy thing!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-13-2010, 12:20 PM
15 is perfect. Did you show him my age 14 pic? We squatted 135 and thought that was a big deal. His weights are really promising. Can you imagine feeding two Bodybuilders....yipes!!

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
03-13-2010, 12:41 PM
15 is perfect. Did you show him my age 14 pic? We squatted 135 and thought that was a big deal. His weights are really promising. Can you imagine feeding two Bodybuilders....yipes!!

Baldie

Not, yet, but I will! He'll come with me to Masters Nationals, so I'm sure he'll get to meet you then, too.

blu2xtreme
03-13-2010, 12:42 PM
So cool about your son ...my daughter had that class last year and she really did learn a lot.
She has been hitting the weights with me a couple times a week and I am impressed with her knowledge and it's scary how strong she is already - I am always setting her weights to low.
Getting her nutrition nailed down is another issue but I am trying to set a good example at least:)

AnglicanBeachParty
03-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Fourteen days out from my NPC show.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-13-2010, 10:25 PM
... and the rest of the 14 days out pics ...

bodyhard
03-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Fucking aye man you look like fucking granite!!

Major props!

gman
03-15-2010, 01:35 PM
you look great Paul...two things I noticed just because of the coaching I am getting.

On the side tri, straighten your arm out so your tri is flexed, make a fist with that arm and make sure the palm side is facing directly back and push down hard with a straight arm

On the lat spread, make pincher with your thumb and forefinger and grab way further back. I get fussed at all the time because my hands come too far around to the front. I think if you keep hands back it allows for more rotation of the elbows to spread lats more.

bodyhard
03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
you look great Paul...two things I noticed just because of the coaching I am getting.

On the side tri, straighten your arm out so your tri is flexed, make a fist with that arm and make sure the palm side is facing directly back and push down hard with a straight arm

On the lat spread, make pincher with your thumb and forefinger and grab way further back. I get fussed at all the time because my hands come too far around to the front. I think if you keep hands back it allows for more rotation of the elbows to spread lats more.

Ohhh shit, hell just froze the fuck over. Since when is Mike giving out posing advise????? Awww shit Big Mike in the motherfucking house!

gman
03-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Oh yeah! I am an expert now! :p

Seriously don't know nothing, but I do know those two because my coach rides my ass about both things!

You can't flex your tricep with your arm bent!

bodyhard
03-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Oh yeah! I am an expert now! :p

Seriously don't know nothing, but I do know those two because my coach rides my ass about both things!

You can't flex your tricep with your arm bent!

Nah don't kid yourself Mike you are learning a shitload of things man! Compared to you just a year ago??

gman
03-15-2010, 01:58 PM
here is how I was made to do the side tri

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w294/namtrag/14084535-1.jpg

AnglicanBeachParty
03-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Fucking aye man you look like fucking granite!!

Major props!

THANKS!

I'll try these, Mike. I have been wondering about the side tri. My coaches are aware that I am a slow learner, and so are only correcting one pose at at time. LOL.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
These comparison photos are from 2 weeks before my July, 2009 contest (on the left of each photo) and 13 days before my March 27 contest. So, basically, I am 2 weeks out in both halves of the photos.

Last July, my weight was 157 pounds. For the current photos, it was 165 pounds.

In some comparisons, the changes seem more subtle, and the added weight distributed evenly over the body. But in others, like the Side Chest, you can clearly see increased leg thickness, for instance.

joedemarco
03-15-2010, 03:29 PM
I see what you mean. You can definitely see the difference on the side shots in the added thickness to your legs!

bodyhard
03-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Yup I can clearly see what you mean on the thickness on the legs! You seem to get size and no fat, reminds me of me :D :D

gman
03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
I hate you hard gainers...John I eat all day what you eat in 2 meals and am still fat as hell (for a show anyway!)

bodyhard
03-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I hate you hard gainers...John I eat all day what you eat in 2 meals and am still fat as hell (for a show anyway!)

Mike as I always tell you, the grass is always greener on the other side. I would trade places with you in a heartbeat. I wish i could add size quickly.

Not sure if you have seen my progress pics in my journal, but if you did, you can clearly see how thin I have gotten without the training/eating.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-15-2010, 10:19 PM

Actually, I am the same as you, Mike.

The only way I can get lean at all is by eating half of what I want, or less, plus at least 5 hours of cardio a week.

This is what I looked like in December, 2007 ... my first "Before" photo, just before I started back to lifting.

gman
03-15-2010, 10:23 PM
damn Paul! I thought I was the only one who started like that!

Amazing how far you have come.

Baldiewonkanobi
03-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Simply.................

W:yep:W

Baldie

blu2xtreme
03-15-2010, 10:42 PM
So cool Paul ...I love seeing changes like that :yep:

AnglicanBeachParty
03-16-2010, 06:05 AM
THANKS, everybody, and thanks Mac for the comparison pic!

I tend to get impatient with my progress in bodybuilding which, when I think about it, is ridiculous.

In the Side Chest comparison Mac stitched together there, the right picture is less than 28 months after the left one.

This lifestyle really does work!

gman
03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
you are the original I Want to Look Like that Guy, Paul

AnglicanBeachParty
03-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Dude! I had no idea the Angelicans did exorcisms! THAT is why the Vatican is offering to welcome back the sista's to the fold. How long did it take to get that thing out of you! Wow! R-E-S-P-E-C-T by brother.

Sure, Anglicans do exorcisms.

Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting. (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+17:20-22&version=KJV)

AnglicanBeachParty
03-17-2010, 09:09 AM
I spent some time in the dry sauna at my gym this morning, trying to chase away a cough/cold (as Baldie suggested earlier in this thread).

I noticed that just sitting in there, with no workout of any kind, brought out a lot of vascularity. Now, if I can just find a sauna close to my contest venue ...

bodyhard
03-17-2010, 10:33 AM
dude that transformation is incredible!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks!

I edited your picture a bit to reduce the shadows and bring up the contrast. It would be better having the original but this shows your conditioning much better.

Also (LOL) it shows the "sock lines" much better! I always wear ankle socks on days that I know my coaches are going to require photos, but this time they wanted me to take them on a day I wasn't expecting it ...

Baldiewonkanobi
03-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Your transformation pics were the hit at my office yesterday. The cheeseburgers with fries and catsup were replaced with chicken salads. Sadly though, as we know, that will last with these fat white goobers and Mexicans about one more day if that.

Baldie

bodyhard
03-17-2010, 12:10 PM
ABP I also copied your pic, do you mind if I send them to my older brother Ric (57) in VA? He works out as well, he actually was the one who got me into bodybuilding, but still always has a layer of fat and doesn't think it could be done naturally, he always tells me, you will never know how hard it is going from fat to muscle as oppose to going from skinny to muscle.

Here are two pics of him

AnglicanBeachParty
03-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Your transformation pics were the hit at my office yesterday. The cheeseburgers with fries and catsup were replaced with chicken salads. Sadly though, as we know, that will last with these fat white goobers and Mexicans about one more day if that.

Baldie

That's cool!

I think you are right about the "half life" of most people's motivation when they see something like this. I guess once they see the real "price" of it, they lose interest.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-17-2010, 12:16 PM
ABP I also copied your pic, do you mind if I send them to my older brother Ric (57) in VA? He works out as well, he actually was the one who got me into bodybuilding, but still always has a layer of fat and doesn't think it could be done naturally, he always tells me, you will never know how hard it is going from fat to muscle as oppose to going from skinny to muscle.

Absolutely! No problem.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-17-2010, 04:27 PM
What a difference! amazing. You must train like a demon- sorry I know your Anglican, lol. But i am impressed, very!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-18-2010, 09:06 AM
What a difference! amazing. You must train like a demon- sorry I know your Anglican, lol. But i am impressed, very!

LOL ... Yes, I try.

ABP, what is your training looking like post Arnold? Plans?

I will be training for a contest in 2013 (which I'll announce shortly after my March 27 NPC contest in Detroit). So, that will be 3 years of eating big and lifting big.

I have toyed with the idea of trying DC Training. Are you familiar with that?

AnglicanBeachParty
03-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Yes, I like it...great for 8-10 cycle, I just can't do it all the time. I need to take time off to recharge...very intense if done correctly.

That's what I've heard ... you have to take a break from it around that time.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-19-2010, 12:29 PM
I've been suffering from a cold / cough since Saturday. Contemplated going to the doctor to see if it was anything worse, but my body seems to be starting to vanquish the thing ... finally.

Weight has been virtually even since the week before the Arnold.

I've been working on my posing every night. Got 2 new posing suits. My coaches wanted me to wear trunks that come up a little higher on the waist.

Starting to have dreams about All-You-Can-Eat breakfast buffets, etc.

I have pretty much everything lined up for Saturday, March 27. I will drive by the venue tomorrow to verify where the parking structure is, and how long a walk it is to the auditorium. Never attended a show there before.

I got an invitation to an after-party from one of the Masters Figure competitors. It's in my hometown, so I'm planning to take the whole family out to that.

That's about it.

kicker
03-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Hey I'll go to the Breakfast Buffet so you don't have to. Then you can stay on your diet fine.

Hope you're feelin getter dude.

jscan1
03-19-2010, 06:13 PM
I've been suffering from a cold / cough since Saturday. Contemplated going to the doctor to see if it was anything worse, but my body seems to be starting to vanquish the thing ... finally.

Weight has been virtually even since the week before the Arnold.

I've been working on my posing every night. Got 2 new posing suits. My coaches wanted me to wear trunks that come up a little higher on the waist.

Starting to have dreams about All-You-Can-Eat breakfast buffets, etc.

I have pretty much everything lined up for Saturday, March 27. I will drive by the venue tomorrow to verify where the parking structure is, and how long a walk it is to the auditorium. Never attended a show there before.

I got an invitation to an after-party from one of the Masters Figure competitors. It's in my hometown, so I'm planning to take the whole family out to that.

That's about it.

My fantasy meal involves 4 greasy cheeseburger patties covered with Pepperjack cheese Onions TOmato Mayo etc and served with a huge pile of fries dipped in ranch....And know just the place to get it and hopefully they will still be open after my contest. THen its right back on the diet for two weeks later..........Who am I kidding this probably will make me more miserable than anything else!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Hey I'll go to the Breakfast Buffet so you don't have to. Then you can stay on your diet fine.

Hope you're feelin getter dude.

Feeling pretty good. I just need help with the breakfast buffet for 8 more days. I'll take over after that! :D

My fantasy meal involves 4 greasy cheeseburger patties covered with Pepperjack cheese Onions TOmato Mayo etc and served with a huge pile of fries dipped in ranch....And know just the place to get it and hopefully they will still be open after my contest. THen its right back on the diet for two weeks later..........Who am I kidding this probably will make me more miserable than anything else!

Yeah, that is tough. A little taste of heaven, then BAM! Back to the rigors of contest prepping.

jscan1
03-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Feeling pretty good. I just need help with the breakfast buffet for 8 more days. I'll take over after that! :D

Yeah, that is tough. A little taste of heaven, then BAM! Back to the rigors of contest prepping.

it might more realistically be a steak a baked potato and broccoli, and then have the cheeseburger meal after contest number 2!

gman
03-20-2010, 12:02 PM
I want large amounts of breakfast food too, Paul...Just something about pancakes, waffles, eggs, grits, biscuits, gravy, hash browns, corned beef hash fried to a crisp, bagels, doughnuts....

did I leave anything out?

Baldiewonkanobi
03-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Gotta love the doing the 2 contests just weeks apart thing and the food fantasy after show #1. Brings back memories.

24 years ago to the day (July 4th 1986/2010) my family and I went to the California Pizza Kitchen in Westwood near UCLA and I'm sure we will do it again. Then I went from Mr. Muscle Beach to Mr. America Masters 3 weeks apart. Now the Mr. Muscle Beach to the NPC Masters Nationals.

Cheeseburgers would also work for me. :drool:

Baldie

jscan1
03-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Gotta love the doing the 2 contests just weeks apart thing and the food fantasy after show #1. Brings back memories.

24 years ago to the day (July 4th 1986/2010) my family and I went to the California Pizza Kitchen in Westwood near UCLA and I'm sure we will do it again. Then I went from Mr. Muscle Beach to Mr. America Masters 3 weeks apart. Now the Mr. Muscle Beach to the NPC Masters Nationals.

Cheeseburgers would also work for me. :drool:

Baldie

I love that Pear and Gargonzola Pizza that they throw the big salad on top of at cpk, that and their Chopped Salad...But F it I'm going for the cheeseburger!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Get in here, MsGuns! I have purple posing trunks ...

AnglicanBeachParty
03-21-2010, 03:29 PM
To get psyched up for my NPC contest next Saturday, I attended the NPC Novice Michigan contest last night. Place was packed! It was a very vocal audience, very enthusiastic. It was good to get the Michigan BB season started, and smell the posing oil for the first time in a while here.

There were a lot of "novice mistakes" evident, but not all of them were in the muscularity category, by any means, or even in conditioning. I saw a lot of flaws, and yet nearly every competitor brought some strengths to the stage as well, something the audience could get behind and honestly cheer for.

Some of the flaws I saw were: Horrible, blotchy color (even on a class winner!), lower back fat rolling over the posing trunks, guys who missed whole large sections of their body when shaving, nearly half of the male competitors with bloody shins from shaving, one guy with two obvious injection-site bumps on his lower glutes. A lot of guys whose glutes were softer than mine. (Hardly any striated glutes at a local Novice show.)

Yet, as I say, nearly all of the competitors brought something of value to the stage; their hard work shined through.

There was only one "clueless competitor" guy. No "stage color" applied at all, white skin, pale orange suit (Not a good choice for him! He looked like a creamsicle.), traps sloping down past non-existent shoulders straight into weak arms, flabby mid-section. The whole 9 yards, really.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Well, after several phone calls and emails, I am still unsuccessful in finding a place to do accurate body composition testing in metro Detroit.

So I thought, for grins, I would go have the staff at my company's Fitness Center do their 3-site caliper estimation of my bodyfat percentage.

Their protocol is 3 measurements: pectoral, abdominal, and thigh.

The staff person wouldn't let me take my sweats off, so part of my thigh measurement was actually from my sweat pants. On the ab measurement, she gathered up a lot of loose skin and measured that.

Bottom line: She says I'm at 15.4% body fat. Bullshit!

FitnBuf
03-23-2010, 01:47 PM
That is bullshit!!!!! I dont trust those numbers at all!!

joedemarco
03-23-2010, 02:47 PM
LOL....no way you're at 15.4% BF. They obviously didn't perform the testing properly. Also, a three point test is a joke. Not enough areas to get a relatively accurate reading.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-23-2010, 03:01 PM
LOL....no way you're at 15.4% BF. They obviously didn't perform the testing properly. Also, a three point test is a joke. Not enough areas to get a relatively accurate reading.

Yeah, that is what I figured.

If I am 15.4% BF, then most guys in my comany gym must be > 45% !

gman
03-23-2010, 04:01 PM
the hand held Omron has me at 17% still.

I am around 11-12 in theory

All I know is I have veins in my quads showing. That's enough for me! lol

jscan1
03-23-2010, 05:16 PM
the hand held Omron has me at 17% still.

I am around 11-12 in theory

All I know is I have veins in my quads showing. That's enough for me! lol

I stopped using the Omron because it still has me at 17%...When various pinch tests by myself and another has me below 9% I think the omron has some use for really fat folks coming down from high bodyfats (early on it was motivational to see it drop)

I am now in the camp of I need to just keep getting leaner it doesn't really matter if I'm 7% or 12% I still need to get a hell of a lot more dialed in in the coming months, as for being lean I am a hell of a lot leaner than most but thats not gonna win me a contest

gman
03-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Me too The more I look at myself the more I realize how much fat I still have. Starting to think 162-165 now

AnglicanBeachParty
03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Now (4 days out) is that crazy time when time moves slow and fast both at the same time. It is like being in "hyper" time, or even outside of time (what theologians call "kyros" time as opposed to "chronos" time).

My mind is thinking of the 1001 little things I have to get done before stepping on stage. Two more days at work, with all that entails. Shave the whole body (check razor blade supply!), spray tan, monitor my water, buy last-minute items, explain to my wife how to get to the venue and where to park. Practice my posing. Just remembering all the muscles that have to be flexed in each pose seems to tax my memory.

Coaches want photo sets on Wednesday night and Friday morning.

I look flat and small in the upstairs bathroom mirror. I get depressed. An hour later I seem to look my best ever in the stark posing light down in the basement laundry room. The emotions are an underdamped 2nd order oscillatory system. I should just calm down.

There is so little time that the event seems to be rushing at me at light speed. And yet, in another way, it still seems as if it is never going to get here at all.

Then, it will whizz by and I'll be eating some type of dessert at the after party.

I remember my 2008 contest. The mandatory poses seemed to last about 45 seconds.

In my mind, they had just barely announced our names ... then, "Quarter turn to the right ... quarter, turn, face front ... Okay, gentlemen, file off! We'll see you this evening."

Whaaaat??? That was it?

Back to the present: Now when did that tanning lady say I was supposed to exfoliate??

bodyhard
03-24-2010, 08:59 AM
4 days out????

AnglicanBeachParty
03-24-2010, 09:24 AM
4 days out????

3 now ... I am entered in the NPC John Simmons Bodybuilding Classic. Detroit, Michigan, this Saturday.

Then, a long off-season to grow.

bodyhard
03-24-2010, 09:32 AM
3 now ... I am entered in the NPC John Simmons Bodybuilding Classic. Detroit, Michigan, this Saturday.

Then, a long off-season to grow.

Good luck man!! Kick fucking ass and take no prisoners!

joedemarco
03-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Good luck! Post some pics up of the show when you can...

AnglicanBeachParty
03-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Good luck man!! Kick fucking ass and take no prisoners!

Will do!

Good luck in your show ABP.

Thanks!

Good luck! Post some pics up of the show when you can...

I have a friend covering the show who is a good photographer, so eventually I'll have really good pics from him. I will post them here.