PDA

View Full Version : AnglicanBeachParty's Arnold Challenge prep thread.

Pages : 1 2 [3]

kicker
03-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Good luck sir.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-24-2010, 08:37 PM
These are from tonight. I felt a bit bloated, because I have been loading in the water all day long.

Psychologically, I am ready for this! I still need to practice my posing routine, though.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-24-2010, 08:39 PM
LOL ... I just now noticed the veins in my forehead popping out. Well, that's attractive :hypno:

bcapprentice
03-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Looking good. Posing to Buxtehudge again? Or have we moved up to Merbecke?

AnglicanBeachParty
03-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Looking good. Posing to Buxtehudge again? Or have we moved up to Merbecke?

I'll be posing to something in a somewhat different vein ... King's X.

tT4RbCzjokk

AnglicanBeachParty
03-26-2010, 07:21 AM
These were taken this morning, around 6:30 am.

Finally seeing a bit of quad separation!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Well, pre-judging is over. I think I did well. Only 3 of us in the Grand Masters. Family says I have it, but they are not bodybuilding "insiders".

We shall see.

One thing I do know ... I've met several cool people already today: IFBB Pro Troy Alves, IFBB Pro Tracy Mason, local competitor and Rx poster Shelby Starnes (in training for Junior Nats) to start with. It's been awesome!

Got to go practice my posing routine now.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-27-2010, 04:32 PM
You look really hard in your front shots.. lower back and hams look just a bit off... shows how hard it is to get dialed in.. can be shredded everywhere else..... anyway- NICE work!- Hope you get the W.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Well, I finished 2nd. I'm really kind of in shock at the guy who beat me, because he was both smaller and softer than I was.

Pics when I have 'em.

Been a long day!!

FitnBuf
03-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Great job!! You look fantastic!! :D

blu2xtreme
03-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Congrats Paul !!
looking forward to seeing your tanned up pics - I am sure you looked great
You were impressive in Columbus for the mock comp

Neal Grossman
03-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Congratulations!!!

Well done. I know you put your heart into this.

Neal

Baldiewonkanobi
03-28-2010, 12:45 PM
ABP I understand your disappointment. I have posted before that I have left 2nd place trophys behind in hotel rooms from coast to coast. Never the less you sir are a CHAMPION. That can not be taken from you. I am anxious to see the pics and will no doubt tear those judges a new ass hole...from my keyboard. I have mentioned your color once before as I lost the Mr. America Masters title over poor color. I looked a washed out yellow under the lights masking my superior physique.

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
03-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Until I get the photos, it is interesting to look at the Score Sheet. I actually ended up tied for 2nd/3rd. I did get one 1st place vote out of the 5 judges.

I asked the head judge afterward for feedback, and he said "back thickness", which is something I already knew. So, it is back to work as soon as I am recovered from the weekend!

kicker
03-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Congrats bro!

FitnBuf
03-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Time to grow!!

Okay Paul....so what was the cheat meal choice???

AnglicanBeachParty
03-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Time to grow!!

Okay Paul....so what was the cheat meal choice???

Cheat meal? Just one?

It was somewhat "pedestrian", I guess: PIZZA!

I had 2 full breakfasts yesterday, also. One at home at 5am, and then my priest bought me a full restaurant breakfast at 9am. That was pretty cool.

bcapprentice
03-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Cheat meal? Just one?

It was somewhat "pedestrian", I guess: PIZZA!

I had 2 full breakfasts yesterday, also. One at home at 5am, and then my priest bought me a full restaurant breakfast at 9am. That was pretty cool.

Wow! That provides a whole new definition to the meaning and purpose of pastoral care!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-29-2010, 08:03 PM
So where are the pictures Paul?

I haven't seen any yet. Believe me, I'm looking!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-30-2010, 06:32 AM
I have an appointment Thursday for my doctor to look at my lipomas, and discuss my options for getting rid of some of them.

They did get some attention backstage. I was surprised when the little fellow who beat me poked his finger into one of the abdominal ones and said, Hey, what are these?

I was less offended when one of the guest posers, IFBB Pro Troy Alves, pointed at my midsection and said "lipoma". He then showed me one of his (on his arm). It was really cool talking with Troy.

I think if I can just get the ones over my abs, one on my right hamstring, and one on my hip zapped (and assuming that no new ones grow) I can look a bit better for my next contest.

Baldiewonkanobi
03-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Tomorrow I have round 4 on my Meso shots for Lipoma reduction. I am comming to the conclusion that there are multiple types of Lipomas. All to do with the density of the little fuckers. So far several are indeed smaller, one flattened but wider and very sore to the touch, and several smaller but denser/harder. If this was a year ago I would have had a few surgucally removed...now that I can see them (diet) its too close to stage time for surgical scars. If they go the steroid injection route with you be sure the shot goes INSIDE each Lipoma. You can see them swell as they do it. Stings a bit for a week afterwards.

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
03-30-2010, 10:39 AM
I've thought of a couple of factors that could have affected my placing at this contest.

One is simply a misperception on my part of how big/small my upper body looks. I take my progress pics at home with the camera at chest level. But the judges see us from more like ankle level. That means, by the rules of perspective, that they see me as having a smaller upper body than what I myself perceive it to be from my progress pics.

Secondly, I may have lost points just on poor posing. I know I didn't hit all the poses optimally, because both calves were cramping up somewhat painfully whenever I flexed them. That could certainly have contributed.

Anyhow, the attached are what I have so far. They're from my routine at the evening show ... I haven't seen the PJ comparisons yet.

FitnBuf
03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
I think you look great Paul!! You have worked very hard and should be VERY proud!! :)

AnglicanBeachParty
03-30-2010, 05:33 PM
I think you look great Paul!! You have worked very hard and should be VERY proud!! :)

Thanks! I am starting to get a little more comfortable with the result I achieved. I'm greedy, though, and always want more!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Okay, here are some proofs from photographer Jeff Sygo who covered the event. (Jeff, I snagged proofs from your site, but I will be buying some prints from you!)

I think I do look weak in some comparisons. I am bad at getting my lats to be visible from the front, for instance.

Your thoughts?

AnglicanBeachParty
04-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Here are some better pics; some are duplicates of what was in the last post.

AnglicanBeachParty
04-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Which guy is the one that won?

The guy in the purple trunks won.

AnglicanBeachParty
04-01-2010, 09:03 AM
You need to work your abs. They don't show much at all.

Agreed with all, but especially this part. I started stressing ab work far too late. It needs to be a priority, going forward.

AnglicanBeachParty
04-01-2010, 09:18 AM
You're not going to build them by doing hi reps. Heavy ab work is what you need.

I found this out a bit too late. I think I did the heavy work for about 2 months prior to the contest, when I was already cutting.

How many times per week would you recommend?

bodyhard
04-01-2010, 10:42 AM
The guy in the purple trunks won.

Are you serious? You killed that guy! The only weakness I see in your physique in comparison to those other guys is your lats.

AnglicanBeachParty
04-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Are you serious? You killed that guy! The only weakness I see in your physique in comparison to those other guys is your lats.

Thanks! I will definitely be working harder on my lats from now on.

bodyhard
04-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks! I will definitely be working harder on my lats from now on.

What do you currently do for your back? Cause in al honesty it is really lacking in mass/width.

AnglicanBeachParty
04-02-2010, 10:42 AM
What do you currently do for your back? Cause in al honesty it is really lacking in mass/width.

My typical routine is:

1. Wide-grip pulldowns

2. Deadlifts

3. Cable Rows and/or One-arm dumbell rows.

4. Weighted hyperextensions

Stuff I have been neglecting:

* Pullovers

* Shrugs

???

gman
04-02-2010, 10:53 AM
bentover bb rows, overhand and underhand
inverted rows
close grip chins, palms facing back
seated cable rows with wide handle

just a few suggestions, Paul!

gman
04-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Can you describe this exercise Mike?

overhand or underhand, vary the height of the bar for different angles.

Inverted Rows - Underhand Grip on Vimeo

gman
04-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks Mike. I didn't think of that one. Forgot about Google for too.

Old fart moment.

No problem, I am having those moments more and more too.

These inverted rows are a lot harder than they look. Especially if you use good form!

bodyhard
04-02-2010, 11:12 AM
My typical routine is:

1. Wide-grip pulldowns

2. Deadlifts

3. Cable Rows and/or One-arm dumbell rows.

4. Weighted hyperextensions

Stuff I have been neglecting:

* Pullovers

* Shrugs

???

Get rid of the wide grip pull downs replace them with straight up pull-ups nothing gives you width like pull-ups.

Why no BB rows? Best exercise to build a thick back!

You are fucking around with too much cables in my opinion.

You want a thick wide back? You have to do BB rows and you have to do pull-ups. And once you can do 10 pull-ups for 3 sets add some fucking weight to it.

bodyhard
04-02-2010, 11:34 AM
I haven't done a BB row in 25 years. I prefer heavy DB rows and use a lot of cables. My back is far from thin and narrow.

That's not to disagree with BB rows and pull-ups as great back builders, because they are.

Did you ever do BB rows? Was your back Narrow to begin with?

Also since he is already doing DB rows and cables and his back is not responding, why keep doing them?

joedemarco
04-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Just seeing the competition pics for the first time. I was floored when you said the guy in purple won. I just don't see it....oh well, that's bodybuilding.

Your conditioning was very good, ABP. Congratulations on a job well done. I think going forward, you just need to add some overall thickness. The back should definitely be a priority. Also, the additional ab work will be a good benefit also.

What are your plans at this point? Are you off season or have another show? Best of luck.

bodyhard
04-02-2010, 12:37 PM
They could be not responding for the reason I stated a few posts up. He has been constantly cutting fat.

We don't know his number of sets, reps and the weight he is using. If he did 4 sets of 30 reps, I wouldn't expect any hypertrophy. If he trained them every other day, that too, wouldn't help to get them bigger.

We also don't know the intensity level he is training at.

I never did BB rows early in my training or in any consistent manner. I was a sickly skinny fuck before I started lifting. My ribs stuck out far past my chest, as did my shoulder blades.

Paul also is not showing his lats correctly. I watched his video from the Arnold and he is rolling his shoulders forward or crunching his blades together.

Ahh man I am not going to keep going back and fourth on this shit, we both know what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

I have no idea what ABP style of working out is, nor how much intensity he puts into a workout, how he performs his sets, etc etc,

Arguing with you or disagreeing with you is a fucking moot point, we both know it all boils down to ABP, his genetics his consistency and perseverance .

All I am saying is that BB rows add thickness Pull-ups add width. I didn't see those two in his routine.

bodyhard
04-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I agreed with that.

I didn't see where it was an argument John and am sorry you saw it that way. You asked me three questions, I answered them.

No no man I meant you know a disagreement/argument. I guess my definition of an argument is different. I didn't mean like a heated argument/fight type of shit, just meant an argument as in different opinions on a subject. My bad if I came at you from left field, not trying to get all 7 30 on you, ya feel me man?

AnglicanBeachParty
04-02-2010, 02:21 PM
You have been cutting for so long that it's near impossible for you to gain much, if any, muscle. In fact, you probably lost a significant amount along the way.

I think that is a big part of it. After my July, 2009 contest, I was supposed to take time off and grow, but instead got lured into the Rx Masters Challenge thing. Then, since I was prepping for that anyhow, I added the NPC show 3 weeks later.

I have a long off-season coming up now.

Get rid of the wide grip pull downs replace them with straight up pull-ups nothing gives you width like pull-ups.

Why no BB rows? Best exercise to build a thick back!

You are fucking around with too much cables in my opinion.

You want a thick wide back? You have to do BB rows and you have to do pull-ups. And once you can do 10 pull-ups for 3 sets add some fucking weight to it.

I keep planning to add in BB rows. It's something I'm weak at. But as is so often the case, it is exactly those exercises that we are weak at that we need the most!

I've seen some people do BB rows with an underhand grip. Do you recommend that, or an overhand grip?

I had been doing pull-ups until I got into the serious contest-prep phase. I will bring them back.

T
We don't know his number of sets, reps and the weight he is using. If he did 4 sets of 30 reps, I wouldn't expect any hypertrophy. If he trained them every other day, that too, wouldn't help to get them bigger.

Typically, I do a warm-up set of 12. Raise the weight and do a set of 10. Raise again and do 8 reps. Then a final working set of 5-6 reps. I train back with biceps and abs ... 2 times one week and 1 time the following week, approximately.

Just seeing the competition pics for the first time. I was floored when you said the guy in purple won. I just don't see it....oh well, that's bodybuilding.

Your conditioning was very good, ABP. Congratulations on a job well done. I think going forward, you just need to add some overall thickness. The back should definitely be a priority. Also, the additional ab work will be a good benefit also.

What are your plans at this point? Are you off season or have another show? Best of luck.

I will compete again in 2013. (Exact plans to be announced fairly soon.) So that is a long off-season in which to gain some size. I do think that Mac is right in identifying my constantly "cutting" as having inhibited my growth.

Baldiewonkanobi
04-02-2010, 02:33 PM
2013 gives you plenty of time to get thicker. I'm thinking power lifting based training for a while. Eat and lift heavy....repeat.

Baldie

bodyhard
04-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I keep planning to add in BB rows. It's something I'm weak at. But as is so often the case, it is exactly those exercises that we are weak at that we need the most!

I've seen some people do BB rows with an underhand grip. Do you recommend that, or an overhand grip?

I don't like underhand grip only becuase it brings the biceps into play moreso than traditional BB rows. Although underhand grip is easier and allows you to lift a heavier weight I still think people should learn the basic movement before moving to the underhand grip.

I see you answered your own question, if you are weak on BB rows than do em, alot, when you get stronger on them, you will see improvements in the thickness of your lats.

joedemarco
04-02-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't like underhand grip only becuase it brings the biceps into play moreso than traditional BB rows. Although underhand grip is easier and allows you to lift a heavier weight I still think people should learn the basic movement before moving to the underhand grip.

I see you answered your own question, if you are weak on BB rows than do em, alot, when you get stronger on them, you will see improvements in the thickness of your lats.

I have been using under hand grip for quite a while with BB rows. I love this exercise as it is a good basic movement that you can load the weight on. I find that the under hand grip is less stress on the shoulder joint. With an OVER hand grip, your shoulder is internally rotated as you row. This is generally not a good position for your shoulder.