PDA

View Full Version : AnglicanBeachParty's Arnold Challenge prep thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3

AnglicanBeachParty
10-20-2009, 02:45 PM
All the "kids" are making these journals, it seems. So, this will be the saga of my journey to Columbus on March 5 to take place in the Rx Arnold Challenge.

Are we going to put up pics every so often and/or do some type of updates and encourage or kick each other's ass when needed?

I think we could do starting pics. But why give away the final package with weekly pics? It will be more fun to unveil at the Arnold!

Looks like no progress photos, so you'll have to trust my verbal description of how great or lousy I look, week by week.

I'll post the updated weight chart every so often, too.

Today: 45 minutes of cardio.

Mood: Hungry.

gman
10-20-2009, 02:47 PM
the mood is exactly how I feel 24/7....fight it with your very being.

buckimscl
10-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Another one for the show!!

gman
10-20-2009, 03:26 PM
this is going to be incredibly awesome....I hope we get some good free shit for doing this! lol

It would be cool to track how much damn fat we lose in total.

Baldiewonkanobi
10-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Bet you are gonna be riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiped. Look out mass merchants!!!

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
10-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Bet you are gonna be riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiped. Look out mass merchants!!!

Baldie

That's what I'm hoping for, thanks! :yep:

AnglicanBeachParty
10-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm enjoying reading everyone's Arnold Challenge threads.

I feel a bit left out, because I seem to be the only one not confident he will win! :D

I finally took the time to "synch up" my previous contest prep guidelines with the time line for the Arnold Challenge, and I find that I am not doing enough cardio.

I will start to fix that today!

:cool:

AnglicanBeachParty
10-26-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm starting to feel pretty good about this.

I know the scale is untrustworthy ... but so far, I've lost 8 pounds in 25 days, for 2.24 pounds per week.

This is overachieving, I think.

Depending on how my next photo set comes out, I'm going to schedule a big cheat day soon.

:yep:

gman
10-26-2009, 08:31 PM
good job ABP

I am only down 6 in 21 days..but 5 were in the first 2 weeks.

My usual stall happened sooner than usual!

AnglicanBeachParty
10-26-2009, 08:50 PM
I am only down 6 in 21 days..but 5 were in the first 2 weeks.

My usual stall happened sooner than usual!

Are you drinking plenty of water every day?

gman
10-26-2009, 08:53 PM
at least a gallon...my nightime smoothie is a quart alone.

buckimscl
10-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Alright ABP let the smack talking begin!!!!

AnglicanBeachParty
10-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Last night I had my first cheat meal in about a week.

Today, I am hungrier than I can remember being in a long time.

I wonder if there's a connection there?

Anyhow, I'm off to do 45 minutes of cardio.

Tomorrow: Legs. I'm looking forward to that.

I will probably take some progress pictures Friday night and post them in here.

gman
10-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Can't wait to see the pics...enjoy the leg day as much as it can be enjoyed.

buckimscl
10-30-2009, 06:38 AM
ABP, pm me for my email addy for the before pics.

AnglicanBeachParty
10-30-2009, 08:12 AM
ABP, pm me for my email addy for the before pics.

I'm not entering the Most Improved category ('cause I was too good to start with!) ... so do you still want before pics?

buckimscl
10-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Hmmmm, not sure if you need before pics if there is no most improved. Let me get back with you.

AnglicanBeachParty
10-30-2009, 10:56 PM
I took some progress pics tonight. For some reason, all the indoor pictures I've taken with this camera come out very grainy. I used to be able to get nice, clean indoor images.

Anyhow, here is what I looked like tonight (185 pounds):

Baldiewonkanobi
10-31-2009, 06:26 AM
Dayum...you look 10 years younger than my son!! You have a great shape my friend. Genetic fairy was good to you. Here comes the however...your posing. When you pose for even for fun shots like this you should have perfect display engrained in your psyche. You are not showing us everything you have. My old trained eye can see it but should not have to work so hard. I am a shitty free poser but its the posing mandantories (backing up conditioning) that wins shows. Thats what I rely on. I can help you here.

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
10-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Dayum...you look 10 years younger than my son!! You have a great shape my friend. Genetic fairy was good to you.

Thanks. I tend to look only at the weaknesses. Especially things like the distance between my shoulder joints. I see guys at work who barely train that have a better V-taper, simply because of wide-set shoulders.

Still, thank for the compliment.

Here comes the however...your posing. When you pose for even for fun shots like this you should have perfect display engrained in your psyche. You are not showing us everything you have. My old trained eye can see it but should not have to work so hard. I am a shitty free poser but its the posing mandantories (backing up conditioning) that wins shows. Thats what I rely on. I can help you here.

Baldie

I totally agree with you, and will take whatever help you can give. There are at least two separate problems I'm having: (1) My mind is "out of touch" with my posing. If I stand before a mirror, strike a pose, and then open my eyes, I am always surprised what I see. Sometimes it is asymmetric (one hand higher than the other), sometimes I'm angled sideways when I didn't think I was.

(2) Even with my eyes open, I can't seem to get the poses just right. When I do, it is by luck, and the next set of photographs it is wrong again. One of my coaches, an excellent poser, has worked with me on this, but I am a slow learner.

I even bought the Russ Testo posing video. It makes sense to me, and I "think" I am doing it, but the photos show otherwise.

So, any helpful hints you can give will be appreciated!

Baldiewonkanobi
10-31-2009, 11:56 AM
OK

pic 1. with arms in same position pull elbows back about 2-3". Suck some air into your chest and hold it high. This is tough but try to get a mind/pec thing going here and as you flex the upper lats bring in the pecs. Always flex the legs....always.

Baldiewonkanobi
10-31-2009, 12:00 PM
pic 2. Again elbows back 2-3". Flare out the upper lats (think WIDE) and work on the mind/lower back xmas tree connectio. When you are ripped city this will show. One leg back with calf flexed. Flex your glutes.

Baldiewonkanobi
10-31-2009, 12:02 PM
pic 3. Get some air up and into your chest. Flex those pecs. Shallow breaths here. Rotate a little more tricep towards us. Suck in the lower belly.

Baldiewonkanobi
10-31-2009, 12:04 PM
pic 4. not bad but I know you can make the upper lats spread even wider. Think V.

Baldiewonkanobi
10-31-2009, 12:07 PM
pic 5. I hate doing the crab and when I judged did not like lookin at them. For what it is you do it well. Perhaps head back a wee bit more and shoulders spread a bit wider.

You do have a great physique...

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
10-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks very much, Baldiewonkanobi; I am in your debt!

I will try to implement each of these suggestions for my next photo set.

gman
10-31-2009, 01:02 PM
my chiro who is a bodybuilder tells me to try to grip the floor with my toes on all poses, and lift my heels just a bit off the ground at the same time...makes you flex your legs more. I don't think it's legal to lift the heels though!

AnglicanBeachParty
10-31-2009, 01:13 PM
my chiro who is a bodybuilder tells me to try to grip the floor with my toes on all poses, and lift my heels just a bit off the ground at the same time...makes you flex your legs more. I don't think it's legal to lift the heels though!

Russ Testo describes this in his posing DVD. It is as if your heels are still barely touching the floor, but with all the weight on the toes and balls of your feet.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-01-2009, 07:02 AM
I totally forgot: I have an expert bodybuilding posing coach right in my own family - my 11-year-old daughter.

UXbIVzTNpHc

Seriously, that is a video of her impression of some of the more arrogant posers at a bodybuilding contest I took her to see earlier this year. The one guy's "relaxed" pose looked like he was riding a chopper bike with ape-hanger handlebars on it. I kid you not.

gman
11-01-2009, 08:41 AM
ABP

video doesn't work, was looking forward to seeing it

AnglicanBeachParty
11-01-2009, 01:10 PM
ABP

video doesn't work, was looking forward to seeing it

Yeah, I've sometimes gotten an error ("video not available"). I don't know why. Usually if I just keep on clicking it, or following the link to YouTube and clicking "Play" there, it finally works. It's frustrating, though.

MsGuns
11-01-2009, 01:16 PM
ahhhh I wanted to see the vid...

AnglicanBeachParty
11-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Today was the day we finally put my son's car away for the winter. Our garage is usually so packed with junk, that there is no way a car can fit in there. But every winter, we have to make it happen, and today was the day.

http://pics.livejournal.com/detroitfather/pic/002cbwfg/s640x480.jpg

http://pics.livejournal.com/detroitfather/pic/002cc4fc/s640x480.jpg

I had assumed that this would take us until sundown. But after our success, I realized that my gym was still open, and that my excuse for skipping cardio today had evaporated ... so I did a 45-minute session on the treadmill, while watching the end of the Talladega race. Man, that Ryan Newman crash was something else!

AnglicanBeachParty
11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm going to try to get in five 45-minute cardio sessions this week.

I did a back/biceps workout from 6 to 7 am, and then did cardio for 45 minutes at noon.

So far, so good, for this week.

Not sure why, but my weight is up 3-4 pounds. I'm not worried about it ... YET!

gman
11-02-2009, 04:07 PM
cardio is your friend...I am becoming one with the Arc Trainer.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Some people recommend weighing weekly, so as not to be misled by the daily fluctuations that can happen in body weight.

But, because of my engineering background I suppose, I take the approach that more data is always better than less data. You can always discount the extra data, but you can't guess at missing data.

So, I weigh myself daily. Actually, twice daily (last thing in the evening and first thing in the morning). There is usually about a 3 pound difference between the two readings.

I personally believe that it is easier to be misled by sparse data (e.g., weighing only weekly) than by dense data.

My weight progress graph (attached) is an example. I weighed 184 pounds on October 29, and again today (Nov 2). But in between, the daily morning measurements were: 185, 187, and 188. IT is true that I could have panicked and done something drastic and unwarranted to counteract the apparent rapid weight gain. But I didn't.

Now, suppose I only weighed myself once a week, and the weigh-in day happened to fall on Nov 1, when I weighed 187. Then, I probably would have panicked, because I had "gained 3 pounds" and wouldn't get any more data for a whole week!

A lot of this is psychological, I'll grant you, and so can vary from person to person. But as for me, I weigh early and often ... feeling free to ignore and data points that seem strange and out-of-line with the rest of the data.

gman
11-03-2009, 10:35 AM
I like that logic...I tend to gain weight over time when I stop weighing every day...it keeps me honest to do it.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Cardio....arrrg! I still might have to do some come April ish. Oh boy...can't wait (not).

The car goes up on jacks because of....?? salt spray?

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
11-03-2009, 11:07 AM

Two reasons:

(1) So as to not get flat spots on the tires.
(2) To get everything back in the garage that used to be where the car now is. I can push a lot of boxes of parts under the car when it is up that high.

gman
11-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Cardio....arrrg! I still might have to do some come April ish. Oh boy...can't wait (not).

Baldie

stop bragging!

I am doing an hour almost every day to very little avail....I hate you

BigRican
11-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Sup ABP, I'm here in your thread now, hope all is well. I have to sit down a bit and read through your thread!

AnglicanBeachParty
11-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Sup ABP, I'm here in your thread now, hope all is well. I have to sit down a bit and read through your thread!

Hey, Luis! Thanks for reading.

It's pretty boring so far, but I should have some more progress pics in a little while.

You're on countdown to Nationals, right?

Don't forget: Typing in this thread counts as cardio! :D

BigRican
11-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Hey, Luis! Thanks for reading.

It's pretty boring so far, but I should have some more progress pics in a little while.

You're on countdown to Nationals, right?

Don't forget: Typing in this thread counts as cardio! :D

Yea man, 2 1/2 week out until Nationals, I feel ready, but I'm also to get it over with, lol! I've been dieting for a whole year now, not easy on the body I have to say.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Everyone please go vote in my poll!

:D

Down4whatever
11-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Subbing to all the challenge journals :D

AnglicanBeachParty
11-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Here's a quick snapshot from before my cardio this evening. I don't know what I did to my camera to make all the pics come out so grainy. :dunno:

Anyhow, real pics to follow this weekend.

MsGuns
11-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Paul, why are you storing your son's car...sorry if I missed that answer.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Paul, why are you storing your son's car...sorry if I missed that answer.

It is more of a summer "fun" car. He's only 15, so doesn't really need a car yet to get around. If you leave cars outside during the winter in Michigan, they tend to rust, etc.

Down4whatever
11-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Here's a quick snapshot from before my cardio this evening. I don't know what I did to my camera to make all the pics come out so grainy. :dunno:

Anyhow, real pics to follow this weekend.

Damn, I wish I could get my arms to grow like yours :(......nice work; I imagine the progress pics will be mind blowing :peace2:

Baldiewonkanobi
11-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Lookin great there ABP. You need to be posing 24/7. Get those serratus up a bit and spread those delts. You got em...flaunt them.

Baldie

MsGuns
11-07-2009, 01:06 PM
It is more of a summer "fun" car. He's only 15, so doesn't really need a car yet to get around. If you leave cars outside during the winter in Michigan, they tend to rust, etc.

only 15! he looks like he is 18! gotcha...
winters are NOT fun @ all. I dont miss them! smile

AnglicanBeachParty
11-07-2009, 01:14 PM
only 15! he looks like he is 18! gotcha...

When he still had his goatee, he looked about 25! LOL.

blu2xtreme
11-08-2009, 10:17 AM
When he still had his goatee, he looked about 25! LOL.

Good morning ABP ...I'm Blu don't think we have officially met yet
Great looking kid
My daughter is 15 and if she brought home a boy that looks like your son
I would for ask for proof of age...

AnglicanBeachParty
11-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Good morning ABP ...I'm Blu don't think we have officially met yet
Great looking kid
My daughter is 15 and if she brought home a boy that looks like your son
I would for ask for proof of age...

Thanks for stopping in. Nice to (officially) meet you.

LOL, about my son and proof of age. I've also seen some of the girls at his school who look like they are in their twenties.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Actually, 16 weeks, 5 days. Weight was 184 pounds today.

I tried to tweak the posing, but am still not satisfied with some (like the front lat spread). And I never have looked good in the ab/thigh pose.

Anyhow, here they are:

buckimscl
11-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Checking in ABP

AnglicanBeachParty
11-09-2009, 10:31 AM
My weight is bouncing around a lot from day to day.

I'm not worried about it, though.

Down4whatever
11-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Pics look great! You're gonna dice up nicely!

What is your usual contest weight range? What was your height again?

AnglicanBeachParty
11-09-2009, 10:40 AM
What is your usual contest weight range? What was your height again?

I am 5'9" ... I've been coming into the contests at around 152 pounds, but I hope not to go below 160 for Columbus. But if I haven't gained any muscle since last contest, I'll probably have to come in under 155 again.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Good leg session this morning! Cardio for 45 minutes, mid-afternoon.

Tomorrow morning, early, chest and shoulders. No cardio tomorrow.

I'm still gaining strength or at least staying even on all my lifts so far. I don't think I start getting noticeably weaker until around 8 or 10 weeks out.

gman
11-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Good leg session this morning! Cardio for 45 minutes, mid-afternoon.

Tomorrow morning, early, chest and shoulders. No cardio tomorrow.

I'm still gaining strength or at least staying even on all my lifts so far. I don't think I start getting noticeably weaker until around 8 or 10 weeks out.

good work, abp!

For some reason I thought you were taller than 5'9"

oops. had to edit...thought you said you were 5'8"...maybe I will be the shortest.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-10-2009, 08:58 AM
What, no comments on my progress pics?

TzWOa8loCDI

AnglicanBeachParty
11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Pop-Tarts ... Part of my complete Post-WorkOut meal!

gman
11-10-2009, 05:54 PM
i would kill for a box of blueberry frosted ones right now

AnglicanBeachParty
11-11-2009, 07:11 AM
45 minutes of cardio this morning before breakfast. Treadmill, with HR between 130 and 135.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Considering the way that life beat the crap out of me today, I consider it a major victory that I got to the gym for a 2nd cardio session tonight.

Given problems at work and at home, I only have 3 places of refuge left:

1) church - about 2 hrs/week
2) the gym - about 6 to 8 hours/week
3) band practice - about 2 hours per week

No wonder I work out so much. It is escapism!

AnglicanBeachParty
11-12-2009, 09:44 AM
I may be shedding weight a bit too quickly.

If the green line keeps creeping down too far below the orange line, I'm going to up my calories. :yep:

gman
11-12-2009, 10:14 AM
nice problem to have, you lucky #$#$@#!@#$@$

AnglicanBeachParty
11-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Today is a "cardio only" day.

I am shooting for six 45-minute sessions this week.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Today's cardio: 45 minutes, average heart rate = 135 bpm.

Cardio is actually starting to get fun now. But I know from experience that won't last too long!

gman
11-13-2009, 03:32 PM

Cardio is actually starting to get fun now. But I know from experience that won't last too long!

45 is kind of fun...2 hours not so much

Down4whatever
11-13-2009, 03:33 PM

wow, what kind of cardio do you do? Does it involve something you wrote a couple posts back? :D

AnglicanBeachParty
11-13-2009, 04:01 PM
wow, what kind of cardio do you do? Does it involve something you wrote a couple posts back? :D

LOL ... I'll pretend this was a serious question ... :rolleyes:

I stick to fast incline walking on the treadmill. Unless my tibialis anterior muscles seize up on my, in which case I switch over to recumbent bike.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-14-2009, 08:04 PM
45 is kind of fun...2 hours not so much

Yeah, I can see where that wouldn't be so much fun. I never go over 45 minutes per session, though near the end of a prep I have some days in which I will double up and have two 45s.

Today: Great leg workout at 9pm. Cardio (the usual) at 4:30 pm. All I have to do is one more cardio tomorrow, and I will have done all planned workouts for the week. (My workout week starts on Monday and ends on Sunday.)

AnglicanBeachParty
11-16-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't mean that the pump itself is elusive, but getting a decent photograph of it seems to elude me.

Here are some attempt to capture what my shoulders looked like today after my chest/shoulder/triceps workout. It seems like I had a lot of vascularity showing in that area while still at the gym, but by the time I got home and found the camera, it had mostly vanished.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-18-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm just talking to myself in here, lately.

I'm behind one cardio for this week. Still weighing in a 182 pounds.

My knee problems seem to be coming back. Tomorrow is leg day, so we'll see how that goes.

Back/biceps workouts have been getting screwed up by a lingering injury in my left forearm.

I had a cheat meal on Sunday (4 Steak Gorditas from Taco Bell), which made me pretty happy.

gman
11-18-2009, 11:13 AM
not the cheat meal I would have picked, but glad it made you happy!

Down4whatever
11-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Looks like we're all nursing injuries, lol. The one common link.

The cheat meal made my mouth water, so I'm glad you didn't go into detail about how they tasted :drool:

gman
11-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Looks like we're all nursing injuries, lol. The one common link.

The cheat meal made my mouth water, so I'm glad you didn't go into detail about how they tasted :drool:

we all have the left elbow/forearm tendinitis thing going, don't we?

mine was almost gone, but today it hurts worse than it ever has.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-18-2009, 11:52 AM
we all have the left elbow/forearm tendinitis thing going, don't we?

mine was almost gone, but today it hurts worse than it ever has.

Yes, it's driving me crazy.

If it doesn't improve by next workout, I'm going to lower the weight down to where I can do 16 to 20 reps.

I've been aiming for "working" sets of 4-6 reps, and that means relatively heavy weights.

gman
11-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Yes, it's driving me crazy.

If it doesn't improve by next workout, I'm going to lower the weight down to where I can do 16 to 20 reps.

I've been aiming for "working" sets of 4-6 reps, and that means relatively heavy weights.

might have to do that too...I started with bb rows today at 205 and it was all downhill from there.

Down4whatever
11-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I am just now able to do heavier curls.....haven't had the balls to attempt pull-ups yet; kinda scared as it's been nice without flare-ups

AnglicanBeachParty
11-18-2009, 12:03 PM
I bought an elastic elbow band at the drug store, that I've been using on my worse arm. It's getting a bit old and loose now, so I need a new one.

But I recall that when it was new it did help quite a bit in getting through the workouts without feeling an "injury" kind of pain.

gman
11-18-2009, 12:09 PM
I am just now able to do heavier curls.....haven't had the balls to attempt pull-ups yet; kinda scared as it's been nice without flare-ups

i did the cockeyed pullups today where one side goes up faster than the other....it hurt so bad.

I am not going to quit, so I need to take painkillers or something.

I will find a sleeve too, sounds like it would help some.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-18-2009, 01:50 PM
5,000 mcgs Sub lingual B-12, 5 mg Manganese, 15 alfalfa tabs 3 x daily. Works 90% of the time on elbow tendonitis.

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
11-18-2009, 02:00 PM
5,000 mcgs Sub lingual B-12, 5 mg Manganese, 15 alfalfa tabs 3 x daily. Works 90% of the time on elbow tendonitis.

Baldie

Thanks, Baldie. I sawy your thread on that and am implementing it. Err, well I thought I was.

Do I do all 3 of those 3x daily?

I've only been taking B-12, Manganese, and 10 alfalfa tabs, once a day ...

Baldiewonkanobi
11-18-2009, 02:26 PM
The alfalfa 3 x day.

MOOOOO ;)

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
11-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Trained legs this morning.

45 deg leg press:

10 x 4 plates per side
9 x 7 plates per side
6 x 9 plates per side
6 x 9 plates per side

Stiff-legged deadlifts (w/ dumbells)

10 x 50s
10 x 60s

Lunges (w/ 15 lb dumbells)

3 sets of 20 for each leg (alternating)

Lying Leg Curl Machine

10 x 95
9 x 125
7 x 135
7 x 140

Leg Extension Machine

10 x 150
9 x 230
6 x 250
7 x 250

Standing Calf Raises (on hack squat machine)

30 x 140 lbs
27 x 190 lbs
23 x 190 lbs

Cardio tonight if my knee doesn't flake out on me.

Down4whatever
11-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Are you a non-squatter? If so, how do you feel about your leg progress without them? I like my squats, but I'm not one to believe you can't build a good set of wheels without them...

AnglicanBeachParty
11-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Are you a non-squatter? If so, how do you feel about your leg progress without them? I like my squats, but I'm not one to believe you can't build a good set of wheels without them...

I'm not a non-squatter, but I'm not a good squatter, either.

I think my lower back is a weak point, so after I've brought that up, I hope to get back to squatting.

Also, when I squat, I find it hard to keep my balance, or at least to be sure of it when I am thrusting hard with my legs. What that ends up meaning is that I don't move very much weight when I squat. I'm still working on fixing this.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-19-2009, 04:25 PM

I think my lower back is a weak point, so after I've brought that up, I hope to get back to squatting.

Also, when I squat, I find it hard to keep my balance, or at least to be sure of it when I am thrusting hard with my legs. What that ends up meaning is that I don't move very much weight when I squat. I'm still working on fixing this.

I have a squat poundage limit where I get lower back spazms. I am doing 2 leg days to make up for it. Heavy leg press followed by Smith Machine front squats to a bench (try this one) and then on leg day 2 Vertical leg press and dead lifts. I throw in extensions and hamstring curls.

Baldie

Down4whatever
11-19-2009, 04:26 PM

Would a Smith machine help with the balance thing? I used one for almost a year and liked how it isolated, but nothing beats the free weights!!

You certainly move some serious weight on the leg press. I can only dream about 18 plates :D wtg!

I find that leg press compresses my lower back--I told my WO partner that I would probably never do conventional leg press ever again.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-19-2009, 04:28 PM
I find that leg press compresses my lower back--I told my WO partner that I would probably never do conventional leg press ever again.

Yeah, I've heard that. Just today, a huge guy came over and asked me: Doesn't that hurt your back doing that many plates?

I guess I'm just lucky in that regard.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-19-2009, 04:29 PM
I have a squat poundage limit where I get lower back spazms. I am doing 2 leg days to make up for it. Heavy leg press followed by Smith Machine front squats to a bench (try this one) and then on leg day 2 Vertical leg press and dead lifts. I throw in extensions and hamstring curls.

Baldie

I will give this a try next time around and report back!

Baldiewonkanobi
11-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I've heard that. Just today, a huge guy came over and asked me: Doesn't that hurt your back doing that many plates?

I guess I'm just lucky in that regard.

Watch Trey Brewer do 30 45ers on the leg press in todays main Forum.

I'm up to 15, going for 16 Sunday and feel that my back is 95% non involved. All the action is hips to toes. My long term goal is now 20 + 2 10s amd 2 5s by April. 1,000#. (If my knee caps dont pop off and fly across the gym)

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
11-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Had an excellent cardio session in the middle of the afternoon. It was a good thing, because it made me tired and happy. I had to meet with my manager right after that, and I was too mellowed out and hopped up on endorphins to get angry at him ...

Tomorrow morning, I train chest and shoulders with my 15-year old son. I wil try to go heavy (for me, that is) on flat bench press for the first time in a long time, since I will have a spotter.

Down4whatever
11-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Had an excellent cardio session in the middle of the afternoon. It was a good thing, because it made me tired and happy. I had to meet with my manager right after that, and I was too mellowed out and hopped up on endorphins to get angry at him ...

Tomorrow morning, I train chest and shoulders with my 15-year old son. I wil try to go heavy (for me, that is) on flat bench press for the first time in a long time, since I will have a spotter.

Kick ass!! Just remember to leave your ego in the car and do the best you can without risking injury!

Baldiewonkanobi
11-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Injury is the game changer. 6 months ago my head was in the clouds and I tore a groin muscle. It bled over the week down to my foot. Had one purple leg. These days I think before I act. I look to bale on every set. Careful with the flat bench. Matt is correct. At the same time I'm saying LIFT HEAVY AND GROW.

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
11-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Injury is the game changer. 6 months ago my head was in the clouds and I tore a groin muscle. It bled over the week down to my foot. Had one purple leg. These days I think before I act. I look to bale on every set. Careful with the flat bench. Matt is correct. At the same time I'm saying LIFT HEAVY AND GROW.

Baldie

Duly noted, Baldie!

It reminds me of a scene in the made-for-TV version of Vanishing Point ... a scene where Kowalski's friend is racing a stock car he prepared. The friend comes in for a pit stop, and Kowalski tells him: Drive like hell! But, don't wreck my car!

The friend looks at him and replies: Make up your mind!

Baldiewonkanobi
11-21-2009, 11:26 AM
My father in law was Production Manager on Vanishing Point and he got a new black Challenger as part of the 'deal'. Twice 4 barrels, headers and a Hurst shifter. I took him out for a drive to show him how much power it had. He sold it the next day. :mad:

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
11-21-2009, 11:32 AM
My father in law was Production Manager on Vanishing Point and he got a new black Challenger as part of the 'deal'. Twice 4 barrels, headers and a Hurst shifter. I took him out for a drive to show him how much power it had.

Sweeeeet!

He sold it the next day. :mad:

That's too bad. I love Mopar muscle cars.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Heavy benching? Ha!

The decision was made for me. I was weak as 5hit this morning.

Still got a great chest/shoulder workout.

New problem: Severe body dysmorphia from looking at all the NPC Nationals photos. :hypno: I look like a twig in comparison, like someone who never lifted a weight. :mad:

gman
11-21-2009, 12:18 PM
shhh...fit body will be here to give you hell

Baldiewonkanobi
11-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Heavy benching? Ha!

The decision was made for me. I was weak as 5hit this morning.

Still got a great chest/shoulder workout.

New problem: Severe body dysmorphia from looking at all the NPC Nationals photos. :hypno: I look like a twig in comparison, like someone who never lifted a weight. :mad:

That new Light Heavy Al dude is the chitz...dayum. Hope he takes it all. I love the freaks but this guy is F'en classic.

This is not an Ecto sport....so what am I doing here??

Baldie

MsGuns
11-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Im liking the purple trunks Paul!
Mike, we I do my front lat spread Im on my toes...I look more defined that way....Im always trying to do somethin xtra to bring out my legs.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Im liking the purple trunks Paul!
Mike, we I do my front lat spread Im on my toes...I look more defined that way....Im always trying to do somethin xtra to bring out my legs.

Well, purple is my favorite color, too. Not sure I look so good in it.

I had tried to use the bright blue pair this past July, but got Jan Tana color all over them. Washed right out though. I always bring like 3 or 4 extra posing trunks to the show with me just in case.

At one of the shows I did, one of the (male) Teen competitors had bright white posing trunks on. It set off his tan, but it still look like he wore his underwear to the show.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I squeezed in the last of 6 cardio sessions for this week. Watched part of the NASCAR Cup race while I was on the treadmill.

Total for the week is about 2700 calories burned in six 45-minute sessions.

I've been negligent in failing to introduce a very important part of my support team: my wife! She cooks all my goofy meals for bodybuilding prep. She is also a personal trainer herself. I also think she is pretty hot for being 50 years old! :)

http://pics.livejournal.com/detroitfather/pic/001c6x37.jpg

gman
11-22-2009, 05:21 PM
you put the wrong number on the front of her age didn't you. a digit or two too high?

AnglicanBeachParty
11-22-2009, 06:28 PM
you put the wrong number on the front of her age didn't you. a digit or two too high?

Actually, it is correct. I'm a lucky man. :)

gman
11-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Actually, it is correct. I'm a lucky man. :)

damn right, you are!

AnglicanBeachParty
11-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Okay, well maybe I didn't regress. But I can't see any progress compared with the photos from 2 weeks ago. Camera angle is slightly different, so that might make for a poor comparison.

I weighed 184 that day, 180 today, so weight loss rate is fine. I just can't see where it's coming off of ...

Down4whatever
11-22-2009, 10:59 PM
4lbs would be difficult to notice any changes; maybe post them side by side for better comparison. Are you holding any add'l water or bloated? I know I am...:hypno:

AnglicanBeachParty
11-23-2009, 09:37 AM
4lbs would be difficult to notice any changes; maybe post them side by side for better comparison. Are you holding any add'l water or bloated? I know I am...:hypno:

Sure, that's possible. It is also possible that the supposed 4 pound loss is not accurate. I weigh first thing in the morning, and that can fluctuate a lot depending upon my state of hydration.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-23-2009, 09:42 AM
My only remaining injury worth speaking of is my left forearm, specifically the muscles responsible for gripping with my left hand.

I think I originally injured this either (A) on mixed grip deadlifts before I started using wrist straps, or (B) dumbell side laterals.

Anyhow, it has been with me for well over a month now, and shows no sign of abating. It hampers me on any exercise which demands that I grip something tightly.

This morning, though, I think I figured out something I am doing to "help" keep it injured. I think it has to do with my driving style. I commute for a total of about 1.5 hours every day, and I notice that I have taken to driving with only my left hand gripping the steering wheel tighly at about the 10:30 o'clock position. My right hand I keep relaxed, resting on the horn, something I need to get to fairly regularly in Detroit traffic.

I think that keeping that one-handed grip on the steering wheel for about 90 minutes a day is contributing to maintaining the injury. My plan is to either drive with both hands symmetrically gripping the wheel. Or, else, switch hands, so that my right hand has the main steering duties and the left hand rests on the horn.

gman
11-23-2009, 10:06 AM
try it, sometimes we know our bodies best.

on your pics, you are definitely the best conditioned right now of all of us, you can at least wear posing trunks without looking unseemly!

Down4whatever
11-23-2009, 10:24 AM
try it, sometimes we know our bodies best.

on your pics, you are definitely the best conditioned right now of all of us, you can at least wear posing trunks without looking unseemly!

I cried a little........Mike thinks I look unseemly in my posing trunks :sad:

I agree, ABP is the clear leader!

gman
11-23-2009, 10:32 AM

I agree, ABP is the clear leader!

suck it up, Matt! The truth hurts:p

If I put on posing trunks right now, there would be many nauseous people on here.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-23-2009, 10:36 AM

Thanks. But when you get to that point (not too long from now), you will be amazed at how the relatively tiny posing trunks make your muscles seem larger than you ever thought they were.

I'm still thinking your legs are going to blow us all off the stage!

Down4whatever
11-23-2009, 10:43 AM
suck it up, Matt! The truth hurts:p

If I put on posing trunks right now, there would be many nauseous people on here.

Tell me the truth in my thread! You never said that when I posted the pics.....hmmm and I thought I looked decent except for my arms.

Seriously, if you have something to say, say it; you won't hurt my feelings

gman
11-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks. But when you get to that point (not too long from now), you will be amazed at how the relatively tiny posing trunks make your muscles seem larger than you ever thought they were.

I'm still thinking your legs are going to blow us all off the stage!

I do have some wheels, I have to admit.

they are small, but have a good shape to them. I understand what they mean by it's all an illusion.

Down4whatever
11-23-2009, 10:45 AM
thanks. But when you get to that point (not too long from now), you will be amazed at how the relatively tiny posing trunks make your muscles seem larger than you ever thought they were.

i'm still thinking your legs are going to blow us all off the stage!

^^^^x 1,000

gman
11-23-2009, 10:47 AM
lol, they will be 23 1/2 " in March, so look out for my massive legs!

AnglicanBeachParty
11-23-2009, 10:49 AM

I looked back at your Nov 13 pics, and they are definitely not unseemly. Chest and abs starting to look very good. Nice outer quad sweep. I can't seem to grow that muscle at all.

buckimscl
11-23-2009, 10:50 AM
I can't seem to grow that muscle at all.
ABP, why do you think that is???

Down4whatever
11-23-2009, 10:56 AM
I looked back at your Nov 13 pics, and they are definitely not unseemly. Chest and abs starting to look very good. Nice outer quad sweep. I can't seem to grow that muscle at all.

Well, I know I don't look that great, but unseemly seemed harsh :hypno:

Thanks for the critique; arms are my nemesis. When someone says outer quad sweep, I really don't know what that means :o Maybe I should google it.......

After I find out what it is; I'll comment on the growth.

gman
11-23-2009, 10:57 AM
hey Matt, I didn't say anyone's legs were unseemly just said ABP doesn't look unseemly in posing trunks! lol

I don't recall pics of anyone in posing trunks, except ABP!

your outer sweep is from running, I bet! don't tell Baldie

Down4whatever
11-23-2009, 11:04 AM
hey Matt, I didn't say anyone's legs were unseemly just said ABP doesn't look unseemly in posing trunks! lol

I don't recall pics of anyone in posing trunks, except ABP!

your outer sweep is from running, I bet! don't tell Baldie

All good, Mike, honesty is golden! Yeah, I did some pics on page 9 of my journal in quasi posing trunks.

LOL, Baldie would disagree with that assessment :D

So in this pic, which muscle is outer sweep? Lateral or medial?

AnglicanBeachParty
11-23-2009, 11:04 AM
ABP, why do you think that is???

My best guess is because on nearly all leg exercises I have my toes pointed outward.

Since I was a kid, I've walked that way ("duck footed", my dad used to call it). In fact, my father (who used to be a race walker) spent hours "coaching" me to walk with my toes pointed straight forward, but it never felt natural. Probably something about the geometry of my hip joint, I guess.

Anyhow, I've seen progress on inner quads from leg press and lunges, but so far, not on the outer part of the quads.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-23-2009, 11:05 AM
So in this pic, which muscle is outer sweep? Lateral or medial?

Vastus lateralis.

gman
11-23-2009, 11:07 AM
My best guess is because on nearly all leg exercises I have my toes pointed outward.

Since I was a kid, I've walked that way ("duck footed", my dad used to call it). In fact, my father (who used to be a race walker) spent hours "coaching" me to walk with my toes pointed straight forward, but it never felt natural. Probably something about the geometry of my hip joint, I guess.

Anyhow, I've seen progress on inner quads from leg press and lunges, but so far, not on the outer part of the quads.

I don't know the answer, but I do all my squats and leg presses with my toes pointed out, and I have a decent sweep. Not sure that's the answer, ABP

Down4whatever
11-23-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't know the answer, but I do all my squats and leg presses with my toes pointed out, and I have a decent sweep. Not sure that's the answer, ABP

When I run until quad exhaustion, I feel it mainly in the medialis and somewhat in the hamstring. I can't say I ever remember being sore or feeling like I worked the lateralis :confused:

Maybe it's partly genetic

AnglicanBeachParty
11-23-2009, 11:16 AM
When I run until quad exhaustion, I feel it mainly in the medialis and somewhat in the hamstring. I can't say I ever remember being sore or feeling like I worked the lateralis :confused:

Could just be a genetic thing, I guess.

Down4whatever
11-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Here's a little snippet from an article; you probably already do these, but I found it interesting.

Vastus Lateralis (Outer Thigh/Quads Sweep)

Vastus lateralis development is also crucial to an impressive upper leg. When this muscle is large it makes the thigh look wide and somewhat round instead of being like two lamp posts: straight up and down.
Good vastus lateralis development also creates the illusion of bigger thighs because it accentuates the contrast between the lower portion of the upper leg and the middle/upper portion (kinda like wide shoulders and wide lats give a better upper body V-shape).
Here are the best exercises to build that portion of the quadriceps:

1. Close-Stance Front Squat: For this movement it's crucial that the trunk/torso remains as straight as possible (as little bending forward as possible) to keep most of the stress on the quadriceps. I prefer the front squat because it's much easier biomechanically to keep a proper torso position than it is with a back squat (in which we all have a tendency to bend forward).
The feet should be neutral (pointing straight ahead) and slightly narrower than the hips. For maximum vastus lateralis development, it's not necessary to go down ass-to-the-grass. Going down to parallel (hips in line with the knees) is sufficient, although I personally prefer to go all the way down.
A little trick for optimal vastus lateralis development is to avoid going up to the full lockout position: squat up until you're 2-3" away from fully extending the legs. This keeps most of the stress on the vastus lateralis portion.
http://www.tmuscle.com/img/photos/06-127-training/image015.jpg
2. Close-Stance Hack Squat: This is a regular hack squat with the feet kept together during the entire movement. Like with the front squat, I recommend stopping just short of the lockout position.
http://www.tmuscle.com/img/photos/06-127-training/image017.jpghttp://www.tmuscle.com/img/photos/06-127-training/image018.jpg
3. The Neutral-and-In Leg Extension: This is similar to the neutral-and-out leg extension explained earlier, but you perform the opposite action. You start with the feet and knees neutral and as you lift the weight you turn the knees inward.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-24-2009, 09:10 AM

Baldie

Tried these today and liked them. No Vertical Leg Press at any of my gyms, though.

My weight is finally moving south again. I was 179 lbs this morning. More of a psychological barrier than anything else.

gman
11-24-2009, 10:19 AM
i think I will try the smith front squats to a bench. I can't do free weight ones very well yet.

Great job on the 179...psychological barrier breaking is important

Down4whatever
11-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Hell ya!!! Breaking the 180 barrier must feel great! I know I'll feel the same way when I break the 190 barrier.....scary thought!

Nice work man!

gman
11-24-2009, 10:31 AM
me too, when I break 200...this is cool we are all getting close to some barriers. Having a 1 at the beginning of my weight is going to make it go even faster, I just know it.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-24-2009, 10:44 AM
me too, when I break 200...this is cool we are all getting close to some barriers. Having a 1 at the beginning of my weight is going to make it go even faster, I just know it.

I agree!

gman
11-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Yes, ABP, I think I am finally realizing how important the mind is in this process.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-25-2009, 09:21 AM
After stagnating for 11 days, my body decided to make a quantum change in the last few days. I am 177 pounds this morning.

Because the scale is bouncing around so much, I added a linear regression "trend line" to my Excel chart. With that much day-to-day variability, it is hard to pick out the average slope with just the naked eye.

Actual weight in green; trend line in blue.

buckimscl
11-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Good job on the leaning out ABP!

gman
11-25-2009, 09:58 AM
After stagnating for 11 days, my body decided to make a quantum change in the last few days. I am 177 pounds this morning.

Because the scale is bouncing around so much, I added a linear regression "trend line" to my Excel chart. With that much day-to-day variability, it is hard to pick out the average slope with just the naked eye.

Actual weight in green; trend line in blue.

are you an engineer or what!?

AnglicanBeachParty
11-25-2009, 10:17 AM
are you an engineer or what!?

Sadly, yes.

I want to be an artist, but things haven't turned out well with that, so far.

gman
11-25-2009, 10:20 AM
I want to be a trainer, but need money so I stay a CPA to my regret

AnglicanBeachParty
11-25-2009, 11:02 AM
I want to be an artist, but things haven't turned out well with that, so far.

In case anyone reading this has not stumbled across my art work - here is the last oil painting I completed:

http://pics.livejournal.com/detroitfather/pic/0027czc1.jpg

Down4whatever
11-25-2009, 11:15 AM
In case anyone reading this has not stumbled across my art work - here is the last oil painting I completed:

http://pics.livejournal.com/detroitfather/pic/0027czc1.jpg

Skillz!!!!! Awesome man!

Now I know your name.......sup Paul? :D

AnglicanBeachParty
11-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Skillz!!!!! Awesome man!

Now I know your name.......sup Paul? :D

Haha ... sorry, it wasn't supposed to be a secret!

gman
11-25-2009, 12:10 PM
if you're as good at engineering as you are at painting, you must make a fortune!

AnglicanBeachParty
11-25-2009, 12:40 PM
if you're as good at engineering as you are at painting, you must make a fortune!

I've found a way to be good at something without making all that much money!

MsGuns
11-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Speaking of legs...Im struggling in that area...
I try to lift heavy but then my knees hurt really bad...

AnglicanBeachParty
11-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Speaking of legs...Im struggling in that area...
I try to lift heavy but then my knees hurt really bad...

On pretty much all exercises? Or are there some leg exercises that are pain-free for you?

MsGuns
11-25-2009, 01:23 PM
On pretty much all exercises? Or are there some leg exercises that are pain-free for you?

If I could build my legs ONLY on leg extensions...Ill be good...
Squats and lunges hurt for sure.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-25-2009, 01:30 PM
If I could build my legs ONLY on leg extensions...Ill be good...
Squats and lunges hurt for sure.

I hate lunges, but they seem to be helping me a bit. I do light weight with high reps, which kills me, for some reason.

What about 45-degree leg press? Does that hurt as much as the squats? It's been good to me.

gman
11-25-2009, 01:33 PM
lateral step ups holding a db on the leg on the bench. do 20-25 and then switch sides. great quad builder and easy on the knees

AnglicanBeachParty
11-27-2009, 08:39 AM
My big thanksgiving meal was turkey breast and green beans.

A few of my FaceBook friends thought that my goal of weighing the same on the morning of Nov 27 as I did on the morning of Nov 26 was excessive.

As it turned out, I actually lost a pound over Thanksgiving. I weighed 176 pounds this morning! :hypno:

I'll put some back on today, because friends are coming over and I'll have a cheat meal with them.

Workouts

Yesterday: Chest and shoulders with my 15-year-old son.

Today: Cardio only, right after I get off this computer.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Same here. I do the cooking. White turkey meat and 1/2 baked onion and 1/2 red pepper. 4 dried Mango chips and that was the carbs for the day. Just finished a bowl of oatmeal and a small whey drink....whoop de doo. My cheat meal was past Wed. when I did a buffalo burrito, baby red potatos and fresh fruit bowl. Have you designed the cheat meal or will you just wing it?

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
11-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Same here. I do the cooking. White turkey meat and 1/2 baked onion and 1/2 red pepper. 4 dried Mango chips and that was the carbs for the day. Just finished a bowl of oatmeal and a small whey drink....whoop de doo. My cheat meal was past Wed. when I did a buffalo burrito, baby red potatos and fresh fruit bowl. Have you designed the cheat meal or will you just wing it?

Baldie

"Designed" is probably too strong a word, but I know what I will have and how much ...

AnglicanBeachParty
11-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Whats up brother?

Hi! Doing great.

I've gotten all the workouts in, and food has been according to plan.

I'm a little ahead of schedule on shedding the weight, I think. So, today's regularly-scheduled cardio will be scrapped in favor of an hour of posing practice, which I sorely need.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Overall, my Thanksgiving holiday (measured from Thursday morning to this morning) was weight-neutral.

At 175 lbs yesterday morning, I seemed to be shedding weight faster than needed, so I did my high-carb day early, yesterday, plus had a banana I ordinarily would not have eaten.

So, I'm back up to 177 lbs this morning. Definitely looking a bit harder than in my last set of pics.

gman
11-30-2009, 09:53 AM
keep going you lucky ecto!

Down4whatever
11-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Overall, my Thanksgiving holiday (measured from Thursday morning to this morning) was weight-neutral.

At 175 lbs yesterday morning, I seemed to be shedding weight faster than needed, so I did my high-carb day early, yesterday, plus had a banana I ordinarily would not have eaten.

So, I'm back up to 177 lbs this morning. Definitely looking a bit harder than in my last set of pics.

You're kicking ass! Nice work! Lol, at you eating a banana and noticing changes from it....

AnglicanBeachParty
12-02-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm not super happy with my pictures this week, but I like to document everything anyhow. It is a great help for making comparisons next time I do this.

I've been sick this week, so missed a few workouts. :mad:

Weight is back up to 180 pounds today, from a low of 175. :mad:

But, plenty of time left, so when my health cooperates, I'm anxious to get back on track ...

AnglicanBeachParty
12-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I feel like, due to some health concerns, I have been slipping backward a little bit over the past 10 days or so.

But just last night, the 2010 Michigan NPC competition schedule was published, and now I am re-motivated. Because ...

I will be entering the John Simmons Powerhouse Classic (NPC) bodybuilding contest on March 27, 2009.

Just 22 days after our Arnold Challenge, it also gives me a clean run of 12 weeks after the great holiday "disturbance" is over.

The only downside to this is: No cheat meal for me while I'm in Columbus for the Arnold ... :no: ... but I think I can handle it.

gman
12-07-2009, 03:17 PM
It seems we all had or are having the sick thing on and off, way to fight through it.

That's great news you have a show real soon after our "contest". Double incentive to get with the program

AnglicanBeachParty
12-08-2009, 10:07 AM
This really should have been the first entry in this Journal. It is an interview I did with Tracy Bodner, an NPC competitor (and also NPC judge). She and her husband Cameron designed my contest prep diets and cardio schedule.

Link to the interview. (http://cyberleanmedia.com/tracyblog/?p=59)

Down4whatever
12-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Great read, Paul!! I'm looking forward to meeting you in March.

I'm in awe of your colorful life.....that's one of my personal goals--to get my life back in order.

AnglicanBeachParty
12-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Great read, Paul!! I'm looking forward to meeting you in March.

Likewise!

I'm in awe of your colorful life.....that's one of my personal goals--to get my life back in order.

I do try to make my life varied and colorful. My wife thinks I do to many different things. But she is used to it by now.

Update: I've gained 5 pounds, net, since the day after Thanksgiving.
That scares me a little, but the mirror is telling me good things, so I'm not overly concerned.

I've re-joined my tanning place, and have gone for 2 sessions so far. So, I should be nice and red/pink for the next progress photos. It's an okay place, but has the stupidest name for a tanning place: Eclipse Tanning. I'm thinking: What kind of tan would you get if you only went out when the sun is blotted out from the sky?

gman
12-09-2009, 11:18 AM
that is the dumbest name ever, but I bet you will not forget it, so maybe it's just clever marketing!

Good that the mirror looks good, don't worry about the weight, at least that's what they tell me.

My tanning place is called Sunshine Strip.

Every time I go, there is a different young and very lean and nubile 21 yearish girl working...I want to go several times a day, is that a problem?

AnglicanBeachParty
12-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Every time I go, there is a different young and very lean and nubile 21 yearish girl working...I want to go several times a day, is that a problem?

I recommend eight 1-minute sessions per day!

gman
12-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I recommend eight 1-minute sessions per day!

not sure if could take it ;)

AnglicanBeachParty
12-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Okay, I am going to have to say a little (or a lot) more about my "health issues" now, because if I don't, it will be impossible for me to make any posts in here that are both honest and meaningful.

I had been having some panic/anxiety attacks for a little while, in which I feel faint and my heart races pretty fast. (I had a long series of these back in early 2004, and had a bunch of heart and neurological tests done, which turned up nothing wrong with me. They just told me to avoid stress and avoid to much caffeine.)

The first one of these I had in 2009 was about a month ago, in a meeting at work. True to form, it was on a morning on which I'd had extra coffee. Damn you, Starbucks, and your flavorful brew! I had a few more minor ones in the following weeks, almost not worth mentioning. Then, on Thanksgiving night, I had one, but with a difference: I felt a tightness in my left chest area. I lay down and it went away. The following Monday (Nov 30) at work, the same thing happened. I lay down on the floor of my cubicle, but I could never get my heart rate to slow down. So eventually, I called the building security, who called the paramedics.

So, I've been having a series of tests since then. They have determined that I did not have a heart attack. But in one of the tests they did to determine this (Myoview Stress test), they found that my left ventricle is enlarged (or "dilated") and that it is causing me to have poor pumping efficiency, below the bottom of the normal range.

So, next week, I get an "echo cardiogram" done, to see if perhaps there is something funny about one of the heart valves or something. Depending upon the outcome of that test, they may recommend some type of medication for me.

I'm really curious as to whether this is a condition I've had all along, or whether it is a new development. I am expecting colleagues and relatives to blame this on (you guessed it!) bodybuilding.

The doc did say I can keep exercising in the mean time, for which I am thankful.

So, that has been my last 10 days, in a nutshell.

Down4whatever
12-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Shit man....that's not cool. Have you done any research on your own to see if BB'ing may be to blame or what causes these types of things to happen? I can't imagine lifting weights and eating healthy would cause such a thing.

I hope you get it worked out man! Will keep you in my thoughts

AnglicanBeachParty
12-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks, Matt.

I am starting to do some research to understand the condition and what can cause it.

If I had to guess, I'd say I was born with it. My mom just now told me she has something similar, and all she has to take for it is an extremely low dose of "high blood pressure" medication. I don't know yet if mine is the same thing, but this next test should reveal that.

blu2xtreme
12-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Hope it ends up being an easy fix...sucks to work so hard staying in shape and taking care of yourself and as soon as anything health wise occurs everyone wants to blame bbing.

AnglicanBeachParty
12-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Hope it ends up being an easy fix...sucks to work so hard staying in shape and taking care of yourself and as soon as anything health wise occurs everyone wants to blame bbing.

Thanks, Blu!

AnglicanBeachParty
12-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Hmmm ... Not sure what to make of this. I did have a refeed in there somewhere.

Mirror is still telling me good things, so I'm going to go about my business and not consider this a setback ...

blu2xtreme
12-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Good morning
Hope the training is doing well - any news on the health front?

Your avi is amazing when was it taken?

AnglicanBeachParty
12-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Good morning
Hope the training is doing well - any news on the health front?

Nothing new at this point. I go in for more testing next Wednesday.

I'm going to try to get more sleep each night, and gradually reduce my caffeine intake.

Your avi is amazing when was it taken?

Thanks! That was from my contest on July 18, 2009.

freebirdmac
12-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Hope the docs can come up with a definitive diagnosis and meds to fix you right up! It sounds like they are closing in on it.

Funny how people can blame bodybuilding. Any excuse to not put work into their bodies.

Baldiewonkanobi
12-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Wish you could see my bro -in law. Beverly Hills' top cardio guy. He has scads of elete L.A. athletes as patients. I have a Right Branch-Bundle Block. My ECG looks like it was taken on a Martian. Beat beat pause/beat beat pause/beat beat pause. Yeah...a double heart beat. Cool huh? I'm a freakin alien. Good thing is that it reverts to normal under stress like exercise...other way around .....*poof*. I'm sure you will check out OK. I use to get similar panic attacks when all alone like hicking by myself in the middle of no where. Out in a fishing boat alone. Guess I had 'issues'. They went away around age 55.

Baldie

gman
12-12-2009, 03:08 PM
my sis in law, the skinny athletic one way back has the bundle block and cannot do hardly anything physical now. Nor drink a single sip of alcohol. must be more severe case I guess

Baldiewonkanobi
12-12-2009, 03:50 PM
my sis in law, the skinny athletic one way back has the bundle block and cannot do hardly anything physical now. Nor drink a single sip of alcohol. must be more severe case I guess

Thats a Left Branch Bundle Block. More serious.

Sorry ABP that your thread has turned into the Bro Science Review.

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
12-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Thats a Left Branch Bundle Block. More serious.

Sorry ABP that your thread has turned into the Bro Science Review.

Baldie

No problem! I should probably be learning some of this stuff anyhow.

AnglicanBeachParty
12-15-2009, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure if these are any better than the last pics I posted.

I think the differences in posing, lighting, and photographic results tend to wash out any actual changes to the physique.

Well, time marches on!

Down4whatever
12-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure if these are any better than the last pics I posted.

I think the differences in posing, lighting, and photographic results tend to wash out any actual changes to the physique.

Well, time marches on!

Looks like your back is leaning out first. Legs don't appear to be leaning out yet. Overall looking great! What plans do you have from here? Anything going to change on diet or cardio protocal?

AnglicanBeachParty
12-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Looks like your back is leaning out first. Legs don't appear to be leaning out yet. Overall looking great! What plans do you have from here? Anything going to change on diet or cardio protocal?

My legs have never really leaned out yet. And I think I'll be dead before I have striated glutes.

My plan is to "minimize damage" over the holidays with relatives, and then adopt a "take no prisoners" attitude starting in January.

buckimscl
12-15-2009, 03:51 PM
The competition is heating up!!

Down4whatever
12-15-2009, 08:42 PM
My legs have never really leaned out yet. And I think I'll be dead before I have striated glutes.

My plan is to "minimize damage" over the holidays with relatives, and then adopt a "take no prisoners" attitude starting in January.

I like your plan!! Sounds like what I may do as I'm finding the leaning process to be 'possible'--there was a time when I thought my body just wasn't made to be super lean.

Amazon Doll
12-15-2009, 08:46 PM
WOW!

You look great!!!!

AnglicanBeachParty
12-15-2009, 09:42 PM
WOW!

You look great!!!!

Thank you! :)

gman
12-21-2009, 11:23 AM
You doing ok ABP?

AnglicanBeachParty
12-21-2009, 11:26 AM
You doing ok ABP?

Thanks for asking, Mike. I'm doing well. No injuries worth mentioning, and I'm sticking to the diet and exercise plans.

I'm on the road, so no access to my usual scale. I will weigh when I get back home.

I'm not trying too hard to make progress between now and New Year's Day - just minimize "damage".

Then it'll be time to get really serious!

buckimscl
12-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Glad things are going well ABP.

gman
12-21-2009, 11:33 AM
this guy is the one to worry about, right bucki? Just quietly going about his business

AnglicanBeachParty
12-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks, gentlemen.

I am visiting parents, siblings, nephews and nieces in Texas, and am getting a host of fitness/bodybuilding-related questions, from the younger set, especially.

One of my nephews (early twenties) has become pretty serious about lifting, and has nice arms and a V-taper. His sister has gained a lot of weight, and I will be giving her a "tour" of Gold's (her own gym, LOL) today, so that she won't be afraid to go into the free weights section of the gym. I think I will show her the Hammer Strength machines. She's going to be sore tomorrow, I reckon!

Myself, I skipped my weekend cheat meal in anticipation of the food onslaught that will roll past me later this week. ;)

I am looking really hard in the mirror every morning, so I think I am progressing pretty nicely. Carrying a lot of fat, still on legs and buttocks, though.

freebirdmac
12-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Wow, a guy who shares my problem (leaning out legs). How unusual!

Enjoy your holidays!!! Great job on influencing the family :)

Down4whatever
12-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm actually wondering when the butt fat starts to evacuate.....:dunno:

Good to hear you're having a great holiday, Paul. You're pretty close to me being in Texas....what region of Texas are you located? I'm in Tulsa, which is northeastern/north central Oklahoma.

gman
12-23-2009, 10:31 AM
I will trade leaning out legs for leaning out love handles!

AnglicanBeachParty
12-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm actually wondering when the butt fat starts to evacuate.....:dunno:

Good to hear you're having a great holiday, Paul. You're pretty close to me being in Texas....what region of Texas are you located? I'm in Tulsa, which is northeastern/north central Oklahoma.

Matt, I'm in College Station (Aggie-land) and Houston this week.

My in-laws are near you, though (Tahlequah), and we'll be down there in April. Maybe we can work out together if you are in town. We get down to OK about every other year.

As I mentioned above, I gave my sister and my niece a tour around their own gym (LOL). They belong to a Gold's Gym here Texas, and it is a great facility. But (at least compared to Michigan prices) they are really paying top dollar for it. They pay something like $79 a month each. And my sister said this was pretty much the cheapest gym in town.

So, I'm showing them how to use the various machines (up until today, they'd never wandered outside of the "Ladies Section"), and I was totally oblivious to the fact that the management types and personal trainers were all giving me the evil eye. My sister told me this later.

So, finally, one PT comes up to me and says, "I assume this is your wife and daughter?". I told him it was my sister and niece. He told me that it was okay if we were all family, and told me otherwise I'd have stop training them, for liability reasons.

My sister divined the actual reason, though: They charge $70 per session for personal training, and they didn't like watching $140 fly out the window.

Down4whatever
12-23-2009, 02:42 PM
What a bunch of morons......Gold's holds a special hatred place in my heart :D

Sounds good about meeting up in April; you'll be ripped to shreds cause of your April contest right? :yep:

freebirdmac
12-23-2009, 03:56 PM
$79 a month!!! Yikes! I joined Gold's in Jan and it was $99 initiation and around $35 a month. I pulled the AARP card and didn't have to pay the $99 :) Anyway, that is insane!

partsRheavy
12-23-2009, 11:50 PM
$79 a month is awfully high, and for them to push the personal training like that is just greed.

I'm glad that you're able to help out family. That's what the holidays are all about.

buckimscl
12-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Wow 79 a month!!! The Gold's that opened up here was 40 a month before it morphed into an Urban Fitness.

AnglicanBeachParty
12-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Okay, I have to print a retraction here!

I misunderstood my sister. The combined monthly rate for her and my niece is $79/month, but going up to $84 a month now. That's what she had been complaining about.

Still high, perhaps, but not obscenely so, like $79/month for a single person would be ...

Baldiewonkanobi
12-25-2009, 10:58 AM
:hypno: Ouch!! I belong to 2 gyms....1. Worlds La Crescenta $21 per mo. 2. Worlds Glendale $17 per month.

Should change name to Grinch's Gym. At least for the Holidays.

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
12-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I had one of those "99th percentile" workouts today. It was leg day, and I had an unusual cooperation between mind and muscles. It felt amazing!

Now, time to eat, rest, and grow ...

blu2xtreme
12-30-2009, 01:17 PM
I had one of those "99th percentile" workouts today. It was leg day, and I had an unusual cooperation between mind and muscles. It felt amazing!

Now, time to eat, rest, and grow ...

Love those kind of days ...enjoy:)

gman
12-30-2009, 01:19 PM
the Y costs me $85 a month for family. Not a bad deal if the family goes, but if I am the only one using it, a ripoff to be sure.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Well, I seem to have lost my way a bit.

I blame it on the handfuls of peanuts I have been secretly stealing from the cupboard.

Anyway, I am back home in Michigan, and ready to put in a hard 9 weeks between now and March 5.

The attached plot shows my low weight (in green) around Thanksgiving, and the horrible lostness since then.

It's now or never!

blu2xtreme
01-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Everyone seems ready to nail it the last 61 days
Looking forward to being there to watch you all in the challenge.
It's my first bb event and a perfect one to attend.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Well, I took this as far as I could on my own.

Now, it is time to bring in some people who actually knows what they are doing. My coaches, RX Muscle Forums - View Profile: ParadiseCup@@AMEPARAM@@View Profile: ParadiseCup</title>@@AMEPARAM@@ParadiseCup and RX Muscle Forums - View Profile: IslandGirl@@AMEPARAM@@View Profile: IslandGirl</title>@@AMEPARAM@@IslandGirl, work out of Colorado, and consult with me via email. They are NPC judges, and really know their stuff.

In one of Mike Pulcinella's Raising The Bar DVDs, Dave Pulcinella describes trying to get into stage-ready condition on the exact day/hour of a bodybuilding contest. He likens it to attempting to land a plane on an aircraft carrier. It is an apt description, and my belief is that if I tried to land this thing myself, I'd end up in the drink. So I've called in the expert pilots, and we'll see if they can achieve a successful landing on March 5!

I'm 2 days into their diet plan, and liking it very much.

gman
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
any hints at all as to what you're doing? Myself, I just need to stop eating for about a week.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-08-2010, 11:57 AM
any hints at all as to what you're doing? Myself, I just need to stop eating for about a week.

They have me doing the same workouts (weights, cardio) as I was already doing.

Surprisingly, the daily calories seem to be up in the 2400 to 2700 range, which seems high to me. I'm pretty sure that's not gonna last long!

And they took away my beloved handfuls of peanuts! :byeb:

Bob45
01-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Well, I took this as far as I could on my own.

Now, it is time to bring in some people who actually knows what they are doing. My coaches, RX Muscle Forums - View Profile: ParadiseCup (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/member.php?u=4067), work out of Colorado, and consult with me via email. They are NPC judges, and really know their stuff.

In one of Mike Pulcinella's Raising The Bar DVDs, Dave Pulcinella describes trying to get into stage-ready condition on the exact day/hour of a bodybuilding contest. He likens it to attempting to land a plane on an aircraft carrier. It is an apt description, and my belief is that if I tried to land this thing myself, I'd end up in the drink. So I've called in the expert pilots, and we'll see if they can achieve a successful landing on March 5!

I'm 2 days into their diet plan, and liking it very much.

I hope to attend the big event. I will be following.

gman
01-08-2010, 01:06 PM
They have me doing the same workouts (weights, cardio) as I was already doing.

Surprisingly, the daily calories seem to be up in the 2400 to 2700 range, which seems high to me. I'm pretty sure that's not gonna last long!

And they took away my beloved handfuls of peanuts! :byeb:

Hope the higher calories work for you, but I suspect you have a week or two and then you will be eating 2000 again! lol

I am giving up nuts for good, including almond and peanut butter. I used up the last of it today...I am going to get my fats from eggs and my krill oil tabs. My saw palmetto also has 1g of pumpkin seed oil in each capsule as well.

I have got to stop eating so much. Time is running out

AnglicanBeachParty
01-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Hope the higher calories work for you, but I suspect you have a week or two and then you will be eating 2000 again! lol

I don't doubt that a bit. I may go as low as 1800 at some point. We shall see.

Here are pics from tonight. My weight today was 177 pounds.

partsRheavy
01-09-2010, 10:50 PM
I see a lot of detail in your shoulders, back and side chest!!

I think you may have gained some muscle since last year because I don't think you need to go down to 155 lbs like you mentioned earlier.

I think your coach is having you eat reasonable calories because you're pretty close to it!!

Baldiewonkanobi
01-10-2010, 06:31 AM
I can't see more than 8-10 pounds of water and surface fat to shed. Seperation around the delts and chest/upper arms is great. Upper leg definition will complete your package.

Baldie

gman
01-10-2010, 06:37 AM
ABP, you're still the one to beat, IMO...you already have abs and intercostals!

Hopefully my not so secret weapon, my legs, will draw attention away from my midsection

buckimscl
01-10-2010, 06:42 AM
I may not even go now.

gman
01-10-2010, 06:46 AM
I may not even go now.

yeah, what's the point...you and I can fight it out for a distant 2nd!:byeb:

AnglicanBeachParty
01-10-2010, 07:24 AM
THANKS everybody.

I think my weight at the Arnold will be something more like 165, the way things are heading.

I just wish that when my "abs" did get uncovered they weren't so unsightly. I have a bunch of relatively small but very distracting lipomas sitting over that region.

Also, my back and arms get very cut, but I have yet to see my legs show any decent separation.

Baldiewonkanobi
01-10-2010, 10:18 AM
THANKS everybody.

I think my weight at the Arnold will be something more like 165, the way things are heading.

I just wish that when my "abs" did get uncovered they weren't so unsightly. I have a bunch of relatively small but very distracting lipomas sitting over that region.

Also, my back and arms get very cut, but I have yet to see my legs show any decent separation.

Get those steroid shots in the lipomas and they will be shrunk by Arnold time. I also have one cluster of 5 on the abs which will be lipo suctioned out here in a month. The rest will be given steroids/cortisone family.

Baldie

Bob45
01-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Looking good in the pics!

AnglicanBeachParty
01-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Nothing but respect for you guys at our age who can find the time and the self-discipline to get yourselves into contest shape.

Looking good, ABP. Maybe I missed it somewhere - but what did you ever find out about your anxiety attack and your heart valve issues?

I have the panic attacks as well but they only happen at night when I go to bed.

Thanks.

I forgot to update everyone on the heart thing. My bad.

The echo-cardiogram showed that my heart is normal, with a normal "ejection fraction". So, the heart seems to be fine.

The doctors and I are both now thinking that it is normal panic attacks. They told me that if it happens too often and becomes a problem, I can have them prescribe something for it, such as Xanax (sp?).

AnglicanBeachParty
01-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Doc prescribed xanex for my wife to take whenever she is riding in the car with me.

No joke.

I may share this idea with my wife. My driving scares her.

On an unrelated note, I got this personalized weightlifting belt for myself for Christmas.

Now all my fans (LOL) will be able to easily spot me in the gym.

freebirdmac
01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Cool belt!!

gman
01-10-2010, 05:59 PM
what exactly is an Anglican Beach Party anyway? I just think of a bunch of pale englishmen hanging out in Brighton

AnglicanBeachParty
01-10-2010, 07:45 PM
what exactly is an Anglican Beach Party anyway? I just think of a bunch of pale englishmen hanging out in Brighton

As a kid, I was influenced by those corny American International Pictures movies with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello. The funny thing is, I never really liked Frankie or Annette at all, but I liked the beach "lifestyle" they presented for teen consumption.

And the films introduced me to things that would become lifelong passions.

Like bodybuilding (Muscle Beach Party - 1964)

ATWUI1eq3G0

And drag racing, including the TV Tommy Ivo cars (Bikini Beach - 1964)

lL0zQklrDL0

Then, decades later when I finally became an Anglican, my first notion of Anglicanism was of a stuffy, formal, and proper religion. The last people I would expect to be at a beach party. So, my mind suggested to me the phrase "Anglican Beach Party" as a sort of clever oxymoron.

My view of Anglicanism soon changed, but not before I had written a song (http://www.anglicanbeachparty.com/ABP2.mp3) called Anglican Beach Party, and named my website that as well. Here is a video of my current band performing the song.

pAOba0UvKUw

Later, too, one of the Anglican parishes I attended in Southern California actually held an Anglican Beach Party (see attached photos).

Bob45
01-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Have you had your E2 levels checked lately? High E2 will give anxiety attacks.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Have you had your E2 levels checked lately? High E2 will give anxiety attacks.

E2 is the same as Estradiol?

If so, mine is normal: 10.2 pg/ml on a normal range of 7.6 to 42.

bodyhard
01-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I may not even go now.

LOL Reps!

GeminiJedi
01-10-2010, 10:15 PM
HEEEEYYY!! Glad to see you posting here :)

Hope your training sticks on track

gman
01-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Cool song, ABP...glad I asked the question.

Bob45
01-11-2010, 05:45 PM
E2 is the same as Estradiol?

If so, mine is normal: 10.2 pg/ml on a normal range of 7.6 to 42.

That eliminates that....next.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Well, it looks like my weight is now moving back in the right direction.

The orange line on this plot was my weight history from a previous contest prep, one which took me down to about 152 pounds. I am not planning to go that low this time.

The green line is my actual weight history for the Arnold Challenge prep. If I can match the slope (lbs/week) for the rest of the prep, I will end up at about 162 or 163 pounds on March 5 (denoted by the vertical blue line).

Bob45
01-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Lots of cool ways to track things these days isn't there?

gman
01-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Lots of cool ways to track things these days isn't there?

I am losing so slowly the graph would have to be about 4 times that wide

AnglicanBeachParty
01-15-2010, 08:28 PM
I've been holding steady at 175 pounds for 3 days now.

But, more important: A large parcel from TrueProtein (http://www.trueprotein.com/) arrived today! I was almost out!

Progress pics on Sunday night. Usually I try to take them on Saturday, but my photographer is out-of-town on a Youth retreat.

Bob45
01-16-2010, 10:35 AM
I like the Optimum nutrition brand. I had a hard time finding a powder that didn't have artificial sweetner or a lot of carbs. The ON is good. It mixes easy and tastes good too. Does yours have Sucralose?

AnglicanBeachParty
01-16-2010, 11:30 AM
I like the Optimum nutrition brand. I had a hard time finding a powder that didn't have artificial sweetner or a lot of carbs. The ON is good. It mixes easy and tastes good too. Does yours have Sucralose?

You can specify "no sweetener" or your choice of various ones. But, yes, I use Sucralose.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Sometimes I go for weeks and can't see any progress. This week seemed different. Though I'm only 2 pounds lighter than in last Saturday's photos, I seem to have made a quantum change in my appearance. I'm holding steady at 175 pounds these days.

It's hard to know what to attribute that to. My diet changed a bit, with my coaches officially coming on board. I got in a couple of tanning sessions, too, which makes a difference.

Anyhow, I am pretty pleased with how I'm looking and feeling for just under 7 weeks out.

Bob45
01-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Wow 7 weeks to go and you look fantastic already. Now worries for you.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Wow 7 weeks to go and you look fantastic already. Now worries for you.

You're doing great ABP. Looking good.

Thanks, gentlemen!

buckimscl
01-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Looking good ABP. You're definitely the front runner.

gman
01-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Looking good ABP. You're definitely the front runner.

You look damn good and I agree with bucki,

but give me 2 weeks, I will catch up to you...

look out ABP I am out for blood! :p

AnglicanBeachParty
01-19-2010, 08:12 AM
One of the cool things about doing a series of contests (or contest prep periods) is that you get to compare your photos from each, and see where you have improved.

These photos are all from 10 weeks out. The 2008 and 2009 photos were taken 10 weeks before my NPC Natural Michigan contests. The 2010 photos were taken this last Saturday (7 weeks out from the Arnold Challenge, but 10 weeks out from my NPC contest).

It's like one of those games you see in the funny papers where you try to find 6 differences between two cartoon drawings. In this case, you try to find where the extra weight went on ...

Bob45
01-19-2010, 08:24 AM
You seem to have put in on pretty evenly all over. Good job.

freebirdmac
01-19-2010, 09:11 AM
You seem to have put in on pretty evenly all over. Good job.

I see the biggest gains in your back!

AnglicanBeachParty
01-19-2010, 09:12 AM
I see the biggest gains in your back!

Thanks!

Yeah, I am trying to get some back width, especially.