PDA

View Full Version : question on how to get off of TRT

gman
02-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Due to monetary considerations (medical bills for one of my kids, just had to pay $2,000 out of pocket, and who knows what is coming later), I can no longer afford to be on TRT. When I run out of test gel, can I just quit? I know it will take a while, but my HPTA should sense things and start up again, should they not?

Or should I buy another month or two of gel and wean my dose down gradually?

I have spent probably $4-5k in the past year for blood work, doctor visits (the docs that do this shit don't take insurance), meds and supplements like pregnenolone and dhea. If I were getting leaner, popping random boners, etc. I might try to keep scraping up the money and use an online clinic or go underground, but honestly, I don't any better with 500 testosterone than I did at 290. I am the same weight as a year ago, same body fat %, and still have a sucky libidio.

Anyway, has anyone ever just quit for good? Or should I gradually taper.

gman
02-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I know I could improve on it, I just don't have the money right now. My kid's mental health is priceless, my testosterone level is not even important in that light!

Nattynomore
02-27-2009, 09:28 AM
You are spending way too much money!! No injections? Find a new doc!! My guy is pretty cool and relative cheap it would appear. I have hear the result from gel are not as predictable or effective as shots. Don't give up . . . find a new doc.

gman
02-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Online clinic would be ok except it is about $150 a month.

Nattynomore
02-27-2009, 09:49 AM
My Doc charge an initial consult fee of $350 (not including bloodwork) and I have to go back every 4 months (those appointments are $100 each). Other than that I shop my prescription around. I got 10ml test cyp dosed at 200mg/ml for $55 (Watson).

Is that affordable?? What was your pre-HRT total test level?

Nattynomore
02-27-2009, 09:50 AM
The other route would be to "self-medicate". Check the board sponsor.

gman
02-27-2009, 10:14 AM
My Doc charge an initial consult fee of $350 (not including bloodwork) and I have to go back every 4 months (those appointments are $100 each). Other than that I shop my prescription around. I got 10ml test cyp dosed at 200mg/ml for $55 (Watson).

Is that affordable?? What was your pre-HRT total test level?

Total pre HRT test was 292.

The online place is a gouger for sure, and they want me on Arimidex, test and HCG, so it adds up pretty quickly

Self medication is always an option, but I am a CPA and cannot risk my license, it is my livelihood.

esplendido
02-27-2009, 10:24 AM
You commented elsewhere that the HRT did nothing for you....and that's because you're using the gel, which is pretty much worthless. Unless you're getting injected with a minimum of 200mg test/wk, your results will be (as they have been) less than stellar.
Take care of things at home, but don't think that your mood or attitude have no effect on your family!

gman
02-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks Rick. My son has been diagnosed as bipolar, we are stressing out over that right now. He is such a smart kid, and this pretty much shoots his ROTC and Army career in the foot. I just hope his treatment is 100% effective!

I am self employed and can look forward to my premiums doubling now, I already pay $900 a month, probably will go to at least $1800 now. That's also stressing me out. I feel like I am in a movie right now, and I can't imagine what my son is going through.

Part of me thinks I am using low T as an excuse for this flat tire around my waist, and I just need to suck it up and cardio it off.

esplendido
02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Mike, I've learned one important thing in life, and that is: how you feel about yourself directly affects those you love the most. If you feel insecure, for example, your loved ones will feel somewhat insecure....especially your kids. If you are depressed, it can negatively affect the moods of those around you, etc.

If getting in shape is important enough to you that by not doing it, you have a negative self image and attitude, that will have a very direct impact on your bipolar son. He needs stability around him, so perhaps making the financial and time sacrifice to get into shape would do more good than harm to your situation.

Nattynomore
02-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Look, you have to do what you comfortable with but I know a number of professionals self-medicate. ANYONE who self-medicates is at risk. Look at the article on the cops . . . how many military guys have you seen posting in chemical enhancement forums . . . I even know some in the medical professional who do. IMO it boils down to finding the right source and being smart . . . or find a new doc who will provide some injectables.

I agree with Esplendido that without your health and self-esteem in check, your ability to provide your family the financial and emotional support it needs will suffer.

gman
02-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the support guys, I needed to vent! I will be ok, just have to figure it all out.

MartyMcFly
02-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd probably find a new Doc who knows about injectables, a lot of them have no clue what to do for low test levels.

gman
02-27-2009, 12:31 PM
this dude supposedly is an expert in the field. A4M certified, speaks at conferences on anti aging and alternative medicine, etc.

I think we look at it from a slightly skewed angle, because we want to look better, he looks at it from an overall health perspective.

For example when I asked him about using HCG he said the long-term effects of it are not know yet, there is some evidence of higher cancer rates from it, and he does not put patients on it unless absolutely necessary.

MartyMcFly
02-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't know man, my Doc seem really cool and willing to help with my problem. He was no self proclaimed expert or anything, he didn't know aobut HCG or Arimidex, but knew injections would work a lot better thank the gel, which in his words "it couldn't even work as hair gel." At first he had me on 200mg test cyp/every other week, then moved me up to 200mg test cyp/week. Feeling even better, I would probably look around for another Doc, just my two cents.

gman
02-27-2009, 12:43 PM
here is his page on andropause, sounds like he knows it, who the hell knows!?

http://66.241.252.6/andropause.html

esplendido
02-27-2009, 12:43 PM
You do need to shop, Mike.

gman
02-27-2009, 12:49 PM
haha, gotta hope some clients pay me in cash, stash it away, and then I am in business. Otherwise, the missus will find out how much I am spending on TRT.

If she knew how much I spent last year, she would shit a brick. Especially when it hasn't done anything to improve my life.

MartyMcFly
02-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Exactly man, if it hasn't done anything for you so far, she would shit bricks brother. I can only say, that being in my 20's never felt like being in my 20's. I always felt depleted of energy and down. After being on TRT for a while, I KNOW, what it feels like to BE in my 20's and its f-ing GREAT!! I just turned 25 today, but I feel much younger than that!!! I'm f-ing all day and night brother, never (NEVER) in my life have I felt like I do now. I know weight training has helped me a lot, but having a working TRT program is wonderful. Like esplendido said, shop around.

I'm sure the missus wouldn't mind the expense if she knew what miracles it does.

gman
02-27-2009, 01:36 PM
I think I felt 40 when I was 20, so I probably have no idea what good test levels even feel like. I am pretty astonished at how much muscle I have with so little test to work with.

I wish I could do a trial run for a few weeks! lol

Like I said, I am going to have to start stockpiling a little cash here and there because we honestly don't have the money for me to do it legally

MartyMcFly
02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I think I felt 40 when I was 20, so I probably have no idea what good test levels even feel like. I am pretty astonished at how much muscle I have with so little test to work with.

I wish I could do a trial run for a few weeks! lol

Like I said, I am going to have to start stockpiling a little cash here and there because we honestly don't have the money for me to do it legally

good luck to you bro, do what you must, like you said, family comes first.

gman
02-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks, Jerry. It will all work out, it is not the end of the world for me to have low test, I am used to it! lol

I love my son, you guys should go into the art and photo forum and read some of his poems I have posted. The boy is a pure genius. He has a lot to offer the world, and he will do so once he gets straight!

SonOfPluto
02-27-2009, 11:44 PM
I know its probably not an option to you but two words could probably solve your dilemma: BLACK MARKET.

gman
02-28-2009, 08:37 AM
I have been driving around looking for that Black Market! lol

Rocco1943
03-08-2009, 05:39 PM
I might offer one solution in addition to finding another DR. When it is time for blood work, I have the Dr. write a prescription for all the tests that he needs and then I take it to a lab that is on my insurance list and then I only have to pay the co-pay. I pay for all my meds and do not put them on my insurance. who knows, may make a difference for you.

Bryan Hildebrand
03-08-2009, 07:44 PM
so, you are insured? if so, why arent you seeing an endocrinologist approved by your provider? switch to injections. cheaper, better, easier to bring your count up predictably with injections vs gel/cream.

thepump
03-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I know I could improve on it, I just don't have the money right now. My kid's mental health is priceless, my testosterone level is not even important in that light!
have doc test if low they might be able to rx to you and you save money if you have insurance. worked for my father all his life>:beerbang: