PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Bulk

joedemarco
10-23-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm about 5 weeks post Team Universe (2nd Place - lightweights) and feel that my off season bulking plan is going well. It is always so much fun to eat a lot and lift heavy! I have my calories up to about 4000/day, which hasn't been easy for me. I have my body weight up to the low 180's and still have some type of abs showing...lol. My current goal is bring my weight up to 190. I am doing this with hopes of bumping up into the welterweights next September at Team U.

NATURAL-1987
10-23-2009, 11:49 AM
What did you weigh at the show? How tall are you?

joedemarco
10-23-2009, 12:15 PM
What did you weigh at the show? How tall are you?

I'm 5'4" and I weighed in at Team U at 153.5 lbs (and it wasn't fun trying to make the lightweight cutoff of 154..lol).

NATURAL-1987
10-23-2009, 12:24 PM
I can imagine. Makes sense to try and move up a class. Looking at those pics I can imagine it must have been hell. You look good at 180lbs. Going up to 190lbs and sucking down to 165 cut of for next show should defintately be attainable. Taking the proper amount of time to do it of course. But by next team U uyou will probably be saying, man its not fun trying to make 165 either.lol. Just the way it is.

AVBG
10-23-2009, 01:29 PM
You're carrying the extra weight well Joe. It's good to see it working for you.

blitz
10-23-2009, 03:03 PM
bulking is always boring at the begining, but after few weeks when your lift increase and you got an good pump you know it worth it !

AminoAmigo
10-23-2009, 03:33 PM
yep, it's great to eat A LOT of food again and training is so much more fun when you're "carbo loaded". i was preparing for a show but i decided not to do it because i lost a lot of weight after an injury and "private problems" during my diet.

i kinda rushed into the offeason and got up like 20 lbs within the first six weeks. my bf level has increased a little but i can still see where my abs used to be :D

it's just a great feeling ... i swear i can feel how the nutrients are flowing through my body during my workout :hungry:

TheTransformator
10-23-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm about 5 weeks post Team Universe (2nd Place - lightweights) and feel that my off season bulking plan is going well. It is always so much fun to eat a lot and lift heavy! I have my calories up to about 4000/day, which hasn't been easy for me. I have my body weight up to the low 180's and still have some type of abs showing...lol. My current goal is bring my weight up to 190. I am doing this with hopes of bumping up into the welterweights next September at Team U.

That works for you...4000 cals on such a small frame (no offence)...isn't that a tad overboard...

joedemarco
10-23-2009, 04:14 PM
That works for you...4000 cals on such a small frame (no offence)...isn't that a tad overboard...

In regards to 4000 cals/ per day all I can say is "So far, so good". If I get to the point where I'm just plain out "getting fat", then I'll cut back. But for now, I'm getting stronger and staying fairly lean.

joedemarco
10-23-2009, 04:14 PM
You're carrying the extra weight well Joe. It's good to see it working for you.

Thanks!

G-Roy
10-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Lookin good and I agree you are carrying the extra weight really well.

thesamewords
10-23-2009, 04:40 PM
In regards to 4000 cals/ per day all I can say is "So far, so good". If I get to the point where I'm just plain out "getting fat", then I'll cut back. But for now, I'm getting stronger and staying fairly lean.
Good luck with not getting fat joe! Im on 4grand as well at 6'1 and i can see that im not gonna last to much longer on that many cals. I hope it works better for you than me!

TheTransformator
10-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Good luck with not getting fat joe! Im on 4grand as well at 6'1 and i can see that im not gonna last to much longer on that many cals. I hope it works better for you than me!

Exactly my thought...!

TheTransformator
10-23-2009, 05:19 PM

Well..can't argue if it works...seemed like an awful lot to me...

NATURAL-1987
10-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Usually right after a show your metabolism is still flying for a while(for me anyways). I usually go to at least 5000 within 4 weeks after a show and can eat like that for months before I have to bring things down a bit. Everyone reacts differently though.Clearly working for Joe.

joedemarco
10-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Lookin good and I agree you are carrying the extra weight really well.

Thanks, it has been taking a little getting use to but every week that goes by I feel better and better.

5thAveGym
10-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Hey Joe,

can you give us an example of days worth of off season meals for you? Do you eat basically the same day to day in the offseason..are you taking in cheat days here and there? are you using fats to get to the 4000 total.

keep up the great progress man.

5th Ave gym Brooklyn

joedemarco
10-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey Joe,

can you give us an example of days worth of off season meals for you? Do you eat basically the same day to day in the offseason..are you taking in cheat days here and there? are you using fats to get to the 4000 total.

keep up the great progress man.

5th Ave gym Brooklyn

I pretty much eat the same each day, maybe sustituting a few items here and there. I give myself two cheat meals a week (saturdays and wednesdays).

To bump my calories up, I have utilized a lot of extra fat in each meal. Some days, with all the extra fat I add in, I have hit over 4,200 cals. My body seems to be reacting well to the increase in fat so I'm sticking with it. Here's a typical day. I will change up a few items day to day to prevent getting boarded in the off season.

Meal #1: 2 hash brown patties/8 egg whites cooked in 2 TBSP olive oil. Then I add a TBSP of Vega oil (flaxseed blend) to it once cooked.
3/4 cups Oatmeal with TBSP natural peanut butter.

Meal #2: Cliff bar with 2 TBSP PB/2 scoops of Vega meal replacement

Meal #3: Can tuna/TBSP olive oil/brown rice or potato/green veggies

Meal #4: Repeat #2

Meal #5: Salmon Steak/veggies/TBSP olive oil

Meal #6: 8 egg whites/1 hash brown pattie (cooked in 2 TBSP olive oil). Add TBSP Vega oil after cooked.

I also have a protein drink before and after training.

It's a lot of food and fat, however if you want to get big you have to eat! I'm currently at 184 pounds (morning weight with no food/clothes). I'm staying fairly lean and my strength has been phenomenal.

I'll be making adjustments to my diet when I decide that the time is right.

joedemarco
10-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Couple updated pics from last night. Training has been going well and I have been holding my calories about the same. I may make some changes at the beginning of the week to my nutrition plan.