PDA

View Full Version : Diets That Reduce Calories Lead to Weight Loss, Regardless of Carbohydrate, Protein o

mikepence
02-27-2009, 01:35 AM
Many popular diets emphasize either carbohydrate, protein or fat as the best way to lose weight. However, there have been few studies lasting more than a year that evaluate the effect on weight loss of diets with different compositions of those nutrients.

In a randomized clinical trial led by researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and Pennington Biomedical Research Center of the Louisiana State University System, a comparison of overweight participants assigned to four different diets over a two-year period showed that reducing calories achieved weight loss regardless of which of the three nutrients was emphasized. The study, which was funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the National Institutes of Health, appears in the February 26, 2009 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine.

More... (http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/diets-reduce-calories-lead-weight-loss-regardless-carbohydrate-protein-or-fat-content-18959.html)

KeepGoing
02-27-2009, 02:34 AM
They just now figured that out?

But for optimal health and to maximize lean muscle mass, palumbo diet is the way to go hands down, that's personal experience.

I bet some of the participants in this study lost mostly muscle, especially the high carb low fat group. Getting unhealthier and fatter, but hey, they lost weight by starvation...

DAVIDHARDY
02-27-2009, 10:32 AM
They just now figured that out?

But for optimal health and to maximize lean muscle mass, palumbo diet is the way to go hands down, that's personal experience.

I bet some of the participants in this study lost mostly muscle, especially the high carb low fat group. Getting unhealthier and fatter, but hey, they lost weight by starvation...

Xactly, I'd much rather lose 5 lbs of FAT than 10 lbs of weight, eating shit, just in reduced quantities.

mikepence
02-27-2009, 11:23 AM
I would be curious to see the data and the actual article from the NEJM. They did say that, regardless of diet composition, reduction in waist size was consistent, which would seem to suggest that abdominal body fat loss is *not* effected differently by macro-nutrient selection.

This is the biggest study of its type to date, and its results suggest that Dave is wrong -- or maybe that he is effective for an entirely different reason:

"Another important finding was that participants who regularly attended counseling sessions lost more weight than those who didn't. Dieters who attended two thirds of sessions over two years lost about 22 pounds of weight as compared to the average weight loss of 9 pounds. "These findings suggest that continued contact with participants to help them achieve their goals may be more important than the macronutrient composition of their diets," said Sacks."

So maybe *Dave* and not Dave's diet is the magic touch. :)

Sledge
02-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Many popular diets emphasize either carbohydrate, protein or fat as the best way to lose weight. However, there have been few studies lasting more than a year that evaluate the effect on weight loss of diets with different compositions of those nutrients.

In a randomized clinical trial led by researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and Pennington Biomedical Research Center of the Louisiana State University System, a comparison of overweight participants assigned to four different diets over a two-year period showed that reducing calories achieved weight loss regardless of which of the three nutrients was emphasized. The study, which was funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the National Institutes of Health, appears in the February 26, 2009 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine.

More... (http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/diets-reduce-calories-lead-weight-loss-regardless-carbohydrate-protein-or-fat-content-18959.html)

Well DUH. Whats your point.

mikepence
02-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Well DUH. Whats your point.

My point is to share something interesting and maybe worthy of discussion.

The biggest study to date on the subject, just published this week, indicates that high protein diets are not superior to high carb diets for body fat reduction. In short, it is the calories, stupid, no matter what macro-nutrients are favored. That was news to me.

Does this make the debate between Dave and that asshat from Muscular Development moot? Is this important information for us less-than-pro body builders?

That's my point.

Jake DeMichele
02-28-2009, 07:43 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and say the study was faulty. Cutting calories by a whopping 720 and adding in exercise is obviously going to result in weight loss regardless of macro nutrient breakdown.

If you take a couch potato that doesn't work out, make them work out for 90 minuets a week, they are going to lose weight regardless even if they increased their calories. Then by cutting their calories by that much they are going to lose more weight. We don't know how much activity these people were doing before the study.

I'd also be interested to see the waist circumference compared to pounds lost in the 3 different types of diet. I'd put money that the pounds lost for the high fat high protein diet is less than the other diets, but with the same loss in waist circumference; which means more loss of body fat and maintenance of more muscle.

philborg
03-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Eat less, move more.

Myth
03-01-2009, 08:55 AM

In a randomized clinical trial led by researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and Pennington Biomedical Research Center of the Louisiana State University System, a comparison of overweight participants assigned to four different diets over a two-year period showed that reducing calories achieved weight loss regardless of which of the three nutrients was emphasized. ]

The biggest study to date on the subject, just published this week, indicates that high protein diets are not superior to high carb diets for body fat reduction. In short, it is the calories, stupid, no matter what macro-nutrients are favored. That was news to me.

contradictions in red