PDA

View Full Version : My diet at 3 weeks out--Critique/Suggestions/Comments?

luke_b21
10-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Just did Tricky Jackson's show last weekend, and now I've got 3 weeks until the KY Muscle. My conditioning wasn't where it needed to be (placed 4th in Welters--weighed in at 164 at 5'6"), so I'm changing up the diet a little. I had been doing a low fat carb cycle, but I'm going to give the higher fat, lower carb thing a try and see how it works for me. Here's what I'm planning on doing; any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

LOW DAYS
Meal 1: 7 egg whites, 2 whole Omega eggs (40g pro, 9g fat = 241 calories)

Meal 2: 8 oz. chicken breast/cod, 28g almonds (50g pro, 6g carbs, 13g fat = 341 calories)

Meal 3: 8 oz. chicken breast/cod, large salad w/ 1 tbsp mac nut oil (44g pro, 14g fat = 302 calories)

Meal 4: 2 scoops whey, 2 tbsp PB (58g pro, 8g carbs, 11g fat = 363 calories)

Meal 5: 2 scoops whey, ½ c oats (48g pro, 27g carbs, 2.5g fat = 323 calories)

Meal 6: 8 oz. salmon/steak, green vegetables (44g pro, 15g fat = 311 calories)

TOTAL: 284g pro, 41g carbs, 65g fat = 1885 calories

HIGH DAYS

Meal 1: 6 egg whites, 1 c oats (30g pro, 54g carbs, 2.5g fat = 358 calories)

Meal 2: 6 oz. chicken/cod, 8 oz sweet potato (33g pro, 40g carb = 292 calories)

Meal 3: Same as meal 2 (33g pro, 40g carb = 292 calories)

Meal 4: 1 scoop whey, 1 c cooked rice (48g pro, 35g carb = 356 calories)

Meal 5: 2 scoops whey, 1 c cooked rice (48g pro, 35g carb = 356 calories)

Meal 6: 8 oz. chicken/fish, 1 c oats (44g pro, 54g carbs, 2.5g fat = 415 calories)

TOTAL: 236g pro, 258g carbs, 5g fat = 2069 calories

luke_b21
10-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Oh and I'm planning on doing 4 'low' days in a row and then 1 'high' day. Cardio is as much as I can find time for, which usually ends up being anywhere from 30-60 min. every day, sometimes low intensity, sometimes HIIT (when I have less time).

cft05
10-28-2009, 01:02 AM
i'm assuming the meal with the oats in it is postworkout? If your carbs are real low like the diet denotes I would hold back on the HIIT cardio unless you do carbs around that time. Maybe try aiming for 40 grams protein and 15 grams of fat per meal and do 6 meals. So breakfast would be like 7 egg whites and 3 whole omega-3 eggs. 2 tbsp of natty peanut butter should be 16 grams of fat not 11. When you do your carb up without fat do you feel full? Whenever I do my carb ups I don't go overboard just add 30 grams to each meal and the protein and fat amounts stay the same; however this works for me and may not work for everyone. Anyway, congrats on your placing just wanted to throw some ideas at you. You know your body better than anybody, good luck!

luke_b21
10-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah the oats are for postworkout, and I'll probably leave them out on non-workout days. The natty PB I use is Naturally More, I got the nutrition facts for it right off the label (it has egg whites, flax seeds, and wheat germ added so its a little different than regular natty PB). Usually I am a more hungry on carb-ups, despite the increase in total calories, but I like to drop out the fats to still keep the total calories relatively low, and figure I don't need the fats as bad if I've got the carbs. If I was farther out from a show I would probably just add the carbs without dropping anything else, but this close I'm trying to only do enough to get me by (been dieting for about 16 weeks already). Thanks again.

-sic-
10-28-2009, 10:07 AM
mind posting any pics?

Scoobysnacks
10-28-2009, 10:33 AM
your diet is borderline keto but not with those carbs in, drop the oats, go keto. Otherwise due to the starches you are going to be toeing the line and your body will be seaching for sugars rather than fats to burn AND you will feel like ass. Being in keto wont mean you burn fat really any better, but it will mean you wont feel like shit, tired, yes, low energy, yes, but like shit, no. With those oats in you probably will. You can try it though and see if you can get into it.

Also your protein is to high, I think I remember you bro, and you are probably carrying 13-14 of fat, to be nasty shredded you need around 7 lbs of total fat thats what I aim my guys at on a nine site. At that rate, you have maybe 150 lbm, protein should be on a keto around 38 grams, not almost 60. And your fat measurements are way off. You said 2 tbsp of pb and then said that meal has 11 fats, thats WAY off, the pb alone at 2 tbsp has 14-15 grams fats and the protein powder will at least add 1-3 depending on brand. This close you need to be pushing the envelope fats should be around 13 grams per meal. So basically on the bottom line Id have less protein in your diet and more fats than you have.

Then Id do the refeed ONCE per week only.

If you are going to go keto NO HIIT. Burns to much muscle since yo uhave no carbs and HIIT needs glycogen as the fuel source. YOu need 1 hr morning light and 1 hr pwo light, heart rate around 110 bpm. You wouldnt normally start with that, but at this point you need it.

Those are initial comments, based on the dieting choice you want to take.
Good Luck at the KY I have a couple athletes doing that, I have a welter, Jamin you probably met him at the Bluegrass, and Josh King who just split for the overall at the Natural Northern. He will be a middle. And then a few figure gals.

I do like how on the refeed day you brought the protien down which is right, and you kept fats minimal which is also right. 5 grams is lower though than is necessary, 20-25 would be fine, as thats quite a drop from what you will be eating on a daily basis. On your refeed day you arent really burning fat its more to make the other 6 days mroe effective, so Id probably even up the carbs more, when I went keto the last 5 weeks I started at 500 carbs and as I got leaner and leaner I went up to 1000-1200 for the entire day, and they werent clean like yours. Some food for thought.

See ya there.

Ss

luke_b21
10-28-2009, 01:04 PM
I have a few pics from the show I will try to get up if I can figure out how, and I hope to get some pics just at the gym hitting poses maybe tomorrow and I'll try to get those up as well.

I think I'll take your advice Scooby and drop the direct carbs (oats) out completely on the low days and only have the refeed once a week, but push the carbs up higher on that day. I'm positive on the PB about it having 11g of fat (Naturally More - http://www.naturallymore.com/nutrition.html) and my protein powder having 0g fat (MGN Pure Isolate and/or Ultimate Nutrition ISO-Sensation 93).

I'll also consider lowering the protein somewhat (although I didn't quite follow the numbers you gave) and upping the fats to 13g/meal.

Thanks for the detailed response--I'd love to just hire you for my prep, but I just can't do it at this point from a financial standpoint (poor grad student). Jamin was shredded at the Bluegrass, so you obviously know what you're doing. Good luck to your athletes and see you there.

Scoobysnacks
10-28-2009, 01:11 PM
I have a few pics from the show I will try to get up if I can figure out how, and I hope to get some pics just at the gym hitting poses maybe tomorrow and I'll try to get those up as well.

I think I'll take your advice Scooby and drop the direct carbs (oats) out completely on the low days and only have the refeed once a week, but push the carbs up higher on that day. I'm positive on the PB about it having 11g of fat (Naturally More - http://www.naturallymore.com/nutrition.html) and my protein powder having 0g fat (MGN Pure Isolate and/or Ultimate Nutrition ISO-Sensation 93).

I'll also consider lowering the protein somewhat (although I didn't quite follow the numbers you gave) and upping the fats to 13g/meal.

Thanks for the detailed response--I'd love to just hire you for my prep, but I just can't do it at this point from a financial standpoint (poor grad student). Jamin was shredded at the Bluegrass, so you obviously know what you're doing. Good luck to your athletes and see you there.

I base things on lean body mass. So i was just saying I think your protein would be fine around 38 grams based on my numbers I use. You could round to 40 grams per meal and be fine, I just dont think you need 58 or 60 grams per meal.

Good Luck

luke_b21
10-28-2009, 01:11 PM
http://bl126w.blu126.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=abf7b93f-c29c-11de-a37d-00215ad75238&Aux=44|0|8CC24C095161350||

I'm the guy 2nd from right, blue trunks. My YOUNGER brother is to my right (in the black trunks) and placed 2nd.

luke_b21
10-28-2009, 01:13 PM
http://bl126w.blu126.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=3&messageId=082cc875-c293-11de-9714-00215ad8c1ca&Aux=44|0|8CC24B6F2F1AD90||
I'm on the left

luke_b21
10-28-2009, 01:14 PM
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs096.snc3/16332_518046494263_75200671_30780039_4589119_n.jpg

luke_b21
10-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Conditioning is never my strong suit, so I dropped about 11 lbs from Wed. night to Fri. night weigh-ins to make the 165lb cutoff to make sure I was at least as big as I could be in my weight class. It may have hurt me more than it helped me though--I spent all day Friday in a homemade sauna and didn't start carbing up until Friday night and felt pretty much like shit on Saturday. I'm considering just not even paying attention to weight for the next show and just carbing up on Wed/Thurs before I cut my water out.

cft05
10-28-2009, 01:24 PM
judging from that pic you have really good size. I'm 6 weeks out from the excaliber show here in california and i'm 5'6" 165 right now so we are kinda on same page. If you nail your conditioning you'll do great imo. Listen to scooby and keep up the hard work, good luck!

Scoobysnacks
10-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Conditioning is never my strong suit, so I dropped about 11 lbs from Wed. night to Fri. night weigh-ins to make the 165lb cutoff to make sure I was at least as big as I could be in my weight class. It may have hurt me more than it helped me though--I spent all day Friday in a homemade sauna and didn't start carbing up until Friday night and felt pretty much like shit on Saturday. I'm considering just not even paying attention to weight for the next show and just carbing up on Wed/Thurs before I cut my water out.

I cant tell you how wrong that is on so many levels. You will only look hard when the muscle is full, a flat ballon is squishy and the "skin" of it can be grabbed a full balloon is tight and you cant grab the skin at all. Muscle is the same.

Horrible, horrible practice bro. You would have been better coming in a middleweight for that show.

You have the muscle in the right places to be very very good, its your preparation that lets you down, as is most guys.

Good Luck

luke_b21
10-28-2009, 07:41 PM
I cant tell you how wrong that is on so many levels. You will only look hard when the muscle is full, a flat ballon is squishy and the "skin" of it can be grabbed a full balloon is tight and you cant grab the skin at all. Muscle is the same.

Horrible, horrible practice bro. You would have been better coming in a middleweight for that show.

You have the muscle in the right places to be very very good, its your preparation that lets you down, as is most guys.

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice. I kind of figured that out the hard way I guess. In my defense the middleweight class at this show went from 165-195lbs, and I knew I didn't have the best conditioning, so I thought if I could make lightweight at least I wouldn't weigh in at like 166lbs and be the smallest guy. But what I need to do is just lose some more fat lbs and make lightweight by being shredded instead of flat and depleted.

Scoobysnacks
10-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the advice. I kind of figured that out the hard way I guess. In my defense the middleweight class at this show went from 165-195lbs, and I knew I didn't have the best conditioning, so I thought if I could make lightweight at least I wouldn't weigh in at like 166lbs and be the smallest guy. But what I need to do is just lose some more fat lbs and make lightweight by being shredded instead of flat and depleted.

Oh you only did novice? Open middle is 165 1/4 to 176 1/4.

luke_b21
10-28-2009, 07:51 PM
No I did Novice and Open, but I just assumed I would be more competitive at novice and so that was my main focus.

luke_b21
11-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Anybody got any suggestions for peak week? I'm toying with a couple different ideas, but don't really know what I'm going to end up doing. Maybe moderate carb load Wed and taper carbs down as needed Thurs-Sat morning? Or maybe just carb and fat load Friday night and keep the diet about the same until then? Any insight is appreciated. I've done a few shows, but never really nailed it. I've never done a keto diet before now, so I don't really know how to factor that in either.