PDA

View Full Version : Please Welcome your new Masters Forum Leader, Joe DeMarco!

SallyAnne
10-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Welcome, Joe!

Here's a super brief history on Joe. I'll let him fill you in on the rest:

Quick Bio:
BS Exercise Science
DC Doctor of Chiropractic

Contest History:
2007 NPC Masters National lightweight winner
2009 NPC Team Universe - 2nd place

hifrommike65
10-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Here he is at the Team U.

joedemarco
10-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks SallyAnne and HifromMike65! I look forward to being the new forum leader here. I hope I can be of some assitance to everyone. I have 20 years of competitive bodybuilding under my belt going back to the 1989 Mr. Continental USA (1st-lightweight). My most recent contest was Team Universe this past September (2nd - lightweights).

I have also been a chiropractor for the past 18 years so I would be more then happy to discuss any training injuries you may have.

Best of luck to everyone in trying to reach your fitness goals!

AnglicanBeachParty
10-29-2009, 10:50 AM
AWESOME!

Welcome, Joe!

Baldiewonkanobi
10-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Welcome Joe. We will do everything we can from our level to make this a better and ever evolving Forum.

Of note on the state of our little Forum.....my guess would be RX has 75% of its Masters not posting in the Masters. Typical? Our current culture? Also some of the Stickys are old, out dated and no longer visited. Site needs a douche.

Bill Mortimer
Baldiewonkanobi
turning 70...been doin this since 1952.

Sledge
10-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Fantastic to have you here Joe.

joedemarco
10-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Welcome Joe. We will do everything we can from our level to make this a better and ever evolving Forum.

Of note on the state of our little Forum.....my guess would be RX has 75% of its Masters not posting in the Masters. Typical? Our current culture? Also some of the Stickys are old, out dated and no longer visited. Site needs a douche.

Bill Mortimer
Baldiewonkanobi

Yes, I will be doing some clean up in the forum regarding those out dated stickys, etc. I will also be adding some new stuff. Thanks for the feedback!

musclemilf
10-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Welcome! I'll promise to behave myself.

AnglicanBeachParty
10-29-2009, 12:03 PM

There seem to be a few over in the Pit ...

SpeedoGuido
10-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Welcome Joe!
I'm planning on competing in 2010 so I'll be on here bugging you from time to time!

What happened to esplendido? I enjoyed his posts.. will he still be hanging out with us?

How old are you Joe?

peace

fatbackgoal
10-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Welcome Joe. Great to have someone who is not only a competitor but also a doctor. I will be competing in bodybuilding and powerlifting in 2010 so hopefully will be able to tap your knowledge and experience.

joedemarco
10-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Welcome Joe!
I'm planning on competing in 2010 so I'll be on here bugging you from time to time!

What happened to esplendido? I enjoyed his posts.. will he still be hanging out with us?

How old are you Joe?

peace

In regards to contest prep, anything I can do to help just let me know. I'm 45 years old.

I guess Esplendido left and won't be posting here anymore.

joedemarco
10-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Welcome Joe. Great to have someone who is not only a competitor but also a doctor. I will be competing in bodybuilding and powerlifting in 2010 so hopefully will be able to tap your knowledge and experience.

Thanks! Feel free to fire away with any questions you may have.

DBowden
10-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Welcome Joe.

fircubi
11-06-2009, 10:34 PM
thanks Joe :yep:

I have also been a chiropractor for the past 18 years so I would be more then happy to discuss any training injuries you may have.

RejectedMilVet
12-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Thanks SallyAnne and HifromMike65! I look forward to being the new forum leader here. I hope I can be of some assitance to everyone. I have 20 years of competitive bodybuilding under my belt going back to the 1989 Mr. Continental USA (1st-lightweight). My most recent contest was Team Universe this past September (2nd - lightweights).

Best of luck to everyone in trying to reach your fitness goals!

I'm a newbie here but would love to ask a chiropractic related question. When I train traps heavy(shrugs, strict form, no cheating), about 2-3 days later I start getting pain from the base of my neck on the right side that sometimes travels up my neck to just behind the ear. I'm a "head forward" guy in terms of spinal alignment I suppose and in the old days(I'm 47 now) I never had pain related to trap training. Could I need an adjustment or perhaps realignment?

Baldiewonkanobi
12-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Welcome RMV. Post same question in 'Injury Q&A' as Joe will see it for sure.

I have that same problem and chalk it up to 'just another malady along with all the others' catergory. I look forward along with you to Joe's reply.

Where in OK? We already have a Tulsa regular.

Baldie

joedemarco
12-18-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm a newbie here but would love to ask a chiropractic related question. When I train traps heavy(shrugs, strict form, no cheating), about 2-3 days later I start getting pain from the base of my neck on the right side that sometimes travels up my neck to just behind the ear. I'm a "head forward" guy in terms of spinal alignment I suppose and in the old days(I'm 47 now) I never had pain related to trap training. Could I need an adjustment or perhaps realignment?

Welcome to the forum!

In regards to your traps, let me ask you a question. If you look in the mirror, are your shoulders level? Or, does one trap seem to be a little larger than the other? Given the fact that you mentioned that you have right sided pain after training traps, I would venture to guess that they are not level. If this is the case, you may want to train traps (i.e. shrugs) with dumbbells. Performing shrugs with a straight bar is probably stressing that right side greater then your left.

In regards to your thought on an adjustment, yes I think that would be a good idea. I think that would help the neck/shoulder/upper back alignment.

RejectedMilVet
12-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Welcome to the forum!

In regards to your traps, let me ask you a question. If you look in the mirror, are your shoulders level? Or, does one trap seem to be a little larger than the other? Given the fact that you mentioned that you have right sided pain after training traps, I would venture to guess that they are not level. If this is the case, you may want to train traps (i.e. shrugs) with dumbbells. Performing shrugs with a straight bar is probably stressing that right side greater then your left.

In regards to your thought on an adjustment, yes I think that would be a good idea. I think that would help the neck/shoulder/upper back alignment.

Thanks for the reply. I just check the mirror and I'm pretty sure they are level but I will certainly keep an eye on it. I think my problem might be related to the way I sleep or head ablge when my traps are pumped. Kind of like where to put your arms in bed to get comfy after a heavy bi/tri workout. Thanks again.

magsmalone
04-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Welcome Joe! I Have some common ground with you. I also won the lightweight class at Masters Nationals last year (women bodybuilding over 35) and I am also a doctor! I am an Anesthesiologist. I did an MD residency but I went to DO medical school. As I'm sure you know, we learn a lot of osteopathic manipulative therapies in our training as well. Will you be going to masters nationals this year?

magsmalone
04-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Bill Mortimer
Baldiewonkanobi
Wow! You are turning 70? I am inspired!

DUKE56
06-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Welcome, i hope to be competing in 2011. I'm in the process of losing the fat. I'm having a heck of a time with the belly fat. I really don't know where i'm losing the fat from, but i've lost down to 190.8 from 210; but i started the diet i'm on at 206. Yep i was a chunk.
Good luck with the site and i'll be getting some advice from you, i hope.

THEVMAN
06-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Welcome Joe - 4 wks out, dragging to cut that body fat off without becoming a basket ball looking guy in the process LOL

joedemarco
06-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Welcome Joe - 4 wks out, dragging to cut that body fat off without becoming a basket ball looking guy in the process LOL

Best of luck to you. I'm sure you will do awesome!

caribeman
06-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Joe question for you on nutrition....
do you know what the %'s are for keto as far as Protein, Carbs and fat?

Thanks.

charliesrp
10-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Hi
This is Charlies..
Cool going guy currently staying in New york..
Bodybuilding is my passion and I love to build my muscles all the time.

DUKE56
10-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Welcome and I am looking to compete in 2011. I am an old powerlifter trying something new. I hope you can give me an idea what my problem is. After a night of heavy lifting my collar bones hurt where they join in to my shoulder. I ice them down and they seem to get better till I lift heavy again. It's not so bad that I can't stand it usually after the ice and a nights rest they're ok.

joedemarco
10-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Welcome and I am looking to compete in 2011. I am an old powerlifter trying something new. I hope you can give me an idea what my problem is. After a night of heavy lifting my collar bones hurt where they join in to my shoulder. I ice them down and they seem to get better till I lift heavy again. It's not so bad that I can't stand it usually after the ice and a nights rest they're ok.

I can't say exactly from the limited info that I have, but it sounds like you may have some a-c joint tendonitis. Your a-c joint is the small bump you feel on the top of your shoulder. It's basically where the end of your collar bone (clavicle) meets the acromion process of your scapula. It's a pretty common "sore spot" for guys that lift.

In regards to treatment, I would always make sure you ice down the shoulders after training. Also try some over the counter motrin if that type of medication agrees with your stomach. Also, see what movements tend to aggravate the shoulders and avoid them for awhile.

Let me know how you make out and good luck!

Bobr
10-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Through my HGH use I have given myself a fairly serious case of Carpal Tunnel syndrome. I have some extreme goals for the 2016 ultra grand masters BB season requiring that I add or at least maintain as much muscle as possible over the next 5 years. Because of this I am real reluctant to give the GH up. So, as a chiropractic practitioner is there anything you can recommend for eleviating the worst of the symptoms-mainly the rather serious nightly pain from elbow to hand on my left side? I use Motrin and stretching exercises now with little relief. This seems to occur during my bulking phases as when I am at contest weight there is never any symptoms. I compete at about 198 and am at about 218 now. The CT started when I got over 210. I use 5 iu/day.

joedemarco
10-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Through my HGH use I have given myself a fairly serious case of Carpal Tunnel syndrome. I have some extreme goals for the 2016 ultra grand masters BB season requiring that I add or at least maintain as much muscle as possible over the next 5 years. Because of this I am real reluctant to give the GH up. So, as a chiropractic practitioner is there anything you can recommend for eleviating the worst of the symptoms-mainly the rather serious nightly pain from elbow to hand on my left side? I use Motrin and stretching exercises now with little relief. This seems to occur during my bulking phases as when I am at contest weight there is never any symptoms. I compete at about 198 and am at about 218 now. The CT started when I got over 210. I use 5 iu/day.

All I can tell you, if you don't have any plans on lowering the amount of HGH, is to periodically go get some therapy performed on the area. I work on people with carpal tunnel all the time with both manipulation to the wrist/elbow and active release to the surrounding musculature. I would also continue the stretching and motrin if it helps. I would try to avoid any braces, which some doctors may recommend. Braces tend to make the area more stiff and will result in muscle atrophy on the long term. Best of luck brother!

Bobr
10-27-2010, 03:32 PM
All I can tell you, if you don't have any plans on lowering the amount of HGH, is to periodically go get some therapy performed on the area. I work on people with carpal tunnel all the time with both manipulation to the wrist/elbow and active release to the surrounding musculature. I would also continue the stretching and motrin if it helps. I would try to avoid any braces, which some doctors may recommend. Braces tend to make the area more stiff and will result in muscle atrophy on the long term. Best of luck brother!

Thanks. I am considering the therapy. I actually started last night with a message therapist. If that doesn't help I'll try one of your profession.

DUKE56
12-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Hey Dr. Joe, I recently had a back injury that broke some of the "wings" on my spine, and dislocated a rib.
The spine in itself is solid (or I've been told by 3 different Drs. and I don't doubt them). I'm in therapy with a Chiropractor/spine injury/sports dr. who has been a competitive bodybuilder/powerlifter. My question is, how long does it take before being able to start lifting "light" weights. I just don't want to lose too much mass. I was training to compete and was told by two different bb'rs that I was well on my way for being ready in June. Now that's been put on indefinite hold. I'll be 55 in January.
Thanks

joedemarco
12-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Hey Dr. Joe, I recently had a back injury that broke some of the "wings" on my spine, and dislocated a rib.
The spine in itself is solid (or I've been told by 3 different Drs. and I don't doubt them). I'm in therapy with a Chiropractor/spine injury/sports dr. who has been a competitive bodybuilder/powerlifter. My question is, how long does it take before being able to start lifting "light" weights. I just don't want to lose too much mass. I was training to compete and was told by two different bb'rs that I was well on my way for being ready in June. Now that's been put on indefinite hold. I'll be 55 in January.
Thanks

Hey Duke, that's kind of a tough question given the fact that you sound like you had a pretty good trauma to your body (i.e. dislocated rib). The good thing, from what you have told me, is that your treating doctor is also a bodybuilder/powerlifter. He therefore should be able to guide you in the right direction. What is his current opinion on when you should go back to lifting? Do you have full mobility of your neck, back, shoulders, etc.? I often like to get patients exercising ASAP but every injury and patient is different. When you do start working out again, I tell patients to let pain "be their guide". If movements hurt, don't do them. If they don't hurt, then the movement is probably O.K. to perform.

Talk to your doctor and let me know what he has to say. Good luck and sorry to hear about your injury.

IzlamikPork
12-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Bienvenido Joe.

mkris7
03-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Welcome Joe,

Look forward to your contribution to this forum! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us!