PDA

View Full Version : Big carb meals or many small ones?

TooPowerful4u
10-28-2009, 11:26 PM
When carbing up, it seems alot of you guys like to go crazy high on carb loads. I hear Dorian did the same.....

Do you feel it is more beneficial to go crazy high on meals (100g+) for an insulin spike and to insure the load.....

Or to do many smaller more frequent meals (50g every hour). Which would probably be safer for bodyfat, but less of an insulin spike.

and why?

maxxmuscle
10-29-2009, 12:22 AM
I think the Insulin Spike / Fat Gain is overated.I have to take Novorapid 7 x per day along with Humulin and Lantus ( Im Type I Diabetic ) and i managed to get pretty lean and did pretty large carb ups ( 1000g Day ) 150g - 200g per meal........

I do make sure to keep the fat content of the meals low though.....

Frosty
10-29-2009, 01:25 AM
I like smaller and more frequent from my experience.

ArabMuscle
10-29-2009, 05:45 AM
I like smaller and more frequent from my experience.

X2. Small more frequent meals mean that you can control the outcome of the end result, as opposed to large portions where you MIGHT spill over.

Scoobysnacks
10-29-2009, 10:59 AM
It depends on the protocol.

If you are going to load and continue to load, say 1100 Weds, 700 Thurs and then 400 Fri. I think the first day you could have larger meals because you are HIGHLY insulin sensitive, but as the loading goes on you become less so becuase you are getting filled up. As the days pass the carbs need to be lower glycemic and or controlled some other way and the meals smaller IMHO. Usually though on this type of load I just keep them smaller and eveyr hour on the hour if someone can manage that. Ive made them larger though on the first day since they person has to work and can only take off Thurs and Fri. Then on Thurs with the larger load still I start making the meals smaller and more frequent.

If you are only loading hard ONLY one day and 3-4 days from the show day, I dont think it matters a bit of differnece becuase again your are highly insulin sensitive until you start to fill up; Ive had guys do like maxxmuscle and load 100 to 150 per meal, because under that type of loading you are trying to almost spill pretty hard so you are truly loaded then have 2-3 days back on your regular diet to dry out.

So my answer is it depends on how you set things up. Not an exact science to it.