PDA

View Full Version : The older I get the more I enjoy training.

Simon M
02-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't know if anyone else agrees, but I've trained on and off since I was 14 and since I've hit my 40's I've become much more focused and just enjoy training so much more.

Perhaps it's because the clock's ticking, or I'm just a calmer person, but training now is the highlight of my week and on Tuesday Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday I'm like a dog with two dicks!

fitbody
02-27-2009, 10:34 AM
with ya on this one
i'm more focused now that i've ever been
and i'm 44 !!!
this gonna be a my best yr ever
the 40's are the the best yrs to me
older, wiser, calmer, more foused
know what i want
and definately what i don't want
lives good !!!!!

gman
02-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I was 44 when I started, so it's still like a brand new thing to me. I love it!

I am only going to get better, and I am smart enough at 47 to know better than injure myself trying to go real heavy.

esplendido
02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Hmmmm.....competition training is a little different than getting into/staying in general shape. I prefer the latter, which I did and would enjoy immensely. The comp training ends up being a "job" and can get old or monotonous because of constantly pushing the limits.

All in all, though, I really enjoy my gym time.

esplendido
02-27-2009, 10:51 AM
....and I'll be 52 in 2 months, with 30+ years of training

Gunz
02-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Before the last year and a half, all my training was just to stay in shape. I would say I get more gratification and appreciation from mu current training lifestyle than the general staying in shape lifestyle. I think that's because of my competitive nature. Every workout is challenging myself to lift heavier, to do better than the last workout....

sassy69
02-28-2009, 01:06 AM
I started training in 1981... it took me until 1984 to hit a 'real gym' and work w/ a trainer, but its been an integral part of my life thru 3 college degrees, living in 6 different states and countless "new" jobs. It really is somethiing so fundamental to me in terms of giving me structure in my life, a place to take on daily challenges, offgas stress from my desk job, and getting to know people who are like-minded. Its the most natural thing I can think of that I do.

Definitely stepping up to competition raised the bar as well as gave me specific focus on different body parts. Then I went thru the phases of perfecting my form, jumping the weights up to REALLY FUCKING BIG, and then stepping them back down a little as I get > 40 and have to pay for all the years of wear & tear. Every phase of my life has given a different focus, approach & purpose to the same basic training.

john koenig
02-28-2009, 08:30 AM
I much prefer my post-40 years over those before. Earlier, pre-Internet, it was hit or miss, reading Weider bodybuilding magazines and attempting to incorporate those workouts into our lives, not knowing as much about nutrition (for a decade or so all I did was eat lots of protein, gobble 100 dessicated liver tabs daily, and not eat carbs after 7:00 p.m.!). Of course, we were all trying to "get huge", with little regard or knowledge of what real conditioning was, depending upon where one lived and who was around you.

Ruptured rotator cuff aside (nearly a decade ago), I'm relatively injury free (though just coming back from major right big toe surgery, two months in a non-weight bearing cast, wheelchair, etc.), and vastly enjoy lifting more than I did the first 25 years I was working out. Now I train. Not for competition but to be muscular, relatively ripped at all times, and a great example in my gym for members and staff (I'm a manager of personal training at a Gold's).

Two days ago I received clearance from my orthopedic surgeon to begin squatting and deadlifting again, after six months off (my big toe is now fused to my foot with titanium lag bolts), so I celebrated with six sets of 20rep squats and 4 sets of the same with deadlifts! Back in the rack, baby!!

thepump
03-19-2009, 05:27 PM
great threads

Desertmedic
04-20-2009, 01:27 AM
If i only knew then what i know now

Dom
04-20-2009, 07:41 AM
If i only knew then what i know now

Classic! I knew it all when I was young!!LOL!! I wish I could remember just some of it now!

Rocco1943
04-20-2009, 07:46 AM
I started working out or "exercising" with weights when I was about 14 I think. But, never for an extended period of time. I have kept it up sporadically since then. I think the past 5-7 years I have probably been more consistent and had better results thank ever. I think "time running out" is a factor but, also seeing guys in their 30's and 40's find out that I am 2 1/2 months away from 66 and look better than they look and can lift weights at work they strain to pick up. Love the look on their faces. LOL

Dom
04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I started working out or "exercising" with weights when I was about 14 I think. But, never for an extended period of time. I have kept it up sporadically since then. I think the past 5-7 years I have probably been more consistent and had better results thank ever. I think "time running out" is a factor but, also seeing guys in their 30's and 40's find out that I am 2 1/2 months away from 66 and look better than they look and can lift weights at work they strain to pick up. Love the look on their faces. LOL

Its the ass- less leather chaps you train in on leg day!! That explains the funny looks!! OH, and yes you need to tan!
ROCCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bowdown:

gman
04-20-2009, 12:50 PM
I just threw up in my mouth imagining that.

Desertmedic
04-20-2009, 02:08 PM
I enjoy it much more now and know what works for me alot better.Have been consistent and make inprovements now.Between 20-30 worked out ate whatever,and went to the bar everynight and couldn't figure out why the only thing i put on was fat, lol.Now i am dedicated 30-40 went from 210 lbs about 28% bf to 191 lbs 16% bf Goal is now to be 200 lbs at under 10% bf. Rodney that is outstanding and motivating

Dom
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
I just threw up in my mouth imagining that.

Not so bad, just need to tan.:eek:

gman
04-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Not so bad, just need to tan.:eek:

So as long as he's tan, wearing the assless chaps is ok with you!?:D

I started training old, but I do seem to enjoy it more and more. I don't dread leg day as I used to, in fact I love it best of all days!

Dom
04-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Just so long as we train! I really love going to the gym.

Rocco1943
04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm looking into spray tan now.lol

sassy69
04-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Well I had a first time experience today.. After starting lifting in 1981, I had a 25 lb plate drop on my big toe. It was an accident - I was chatting w/ a buddy and he happened to lean on stack of plates hanging off the smith frame, and the 25 was apparently just dangling on the edge. Down it went. Luckily my leg day was complete but I had to call it on posing & cardio. A small amount of swelling, there was a cut where the plate landed just below the toenail. And I suppose I'll lose the toenail.

Damn. Shoulda been wearing my steel toed tennis shoes.

Rocco1943
04-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Well I had a first time experience today.. After starting lifting in 1981, I had a 25 lb plate drop on my big toe. It was an accident - I was chatting w/ a buddy and he happened to lean on stack of plates hanging off the smith frame, and the 25 was apparently just dangling on the edge. Down it went. Luckily my leg day was complete but I had to call it on posing & cardio. A small amount of swelling, there was a cut where the plate landed just below the toenail. And I suppose I'll lose the toenail.

Sketchers has them lol

esplendido
04-22-2009, 09:47 AM

You and your luck with men!!!! :eek:

red barraca
04-22-2009, 12:06 PM
ya iam 30ys i love training more now because i've learned though the years how to train right and learning my body and finding out what works and what does'nt.

antonbrn
04-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Ouch! I bet that hurt.
When I slack off on going to the gym and the diet, I feel like crap. Sometimes it's hard forcing myself to go, but I feel great afterwards. The benefits and results are great.

The Big Sexy
04-23-2009, 01:23 AM
This is great to read! I'm 34 now, and am curious what is in store 10 years or 20 years from now!

It's good to see people totally cranking away!

esplendido
04-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Hey! I represent that remark!!!! I'm the 20 years from now!

sassy69
04-23-2009, 01:36 AM
Ouch! I bet that hurt.
When I slack off on going to the gym and the diet, I feel like crap. Sometimes it's hard forcing myself to go, but I feel great afterwards. The benefits and results are great.

Four things get me in the gym, depending on my mood I guess:

1) After a long day of sitting on my ass in front of a computer, I really look forward to the physical outlet. Often its just as good as addressng the urge to punch something.

2) If I'm in contest prep, it comes down to you either do it, or don't bother. (Very simple approach...)

3) Especially when I start to feel socially isolated and haven't talked to anyone about anything other than computer / tech stuff, I'll go to the gym to hang out w/ the meatheads.

4) Bottom line, regardless of how I feel just thinking abotu going to the gym, it is knowing how great I'll feel afterwards that will get me in the door in the first place.

Burr
04-25-2009, 07:36 PM
I love workout out three days a week plus cycling three days.
I'm not getting older, I getting better.

I love the burn, the challenge and the looks the old man gets.

Burr
Big, Lean, Mean and Clean
I'll be lifting until they pry the
bar from my cold dead hands
Adventure before Dementia