PDA

View Full Version : Need help!

Saki
11-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi guys,

I am about to turn 38, and am sort of struggling with my physique goals right now and could really use some guidance. I didn't know if I could post those types of questions on this board, so I posted for help over on the beginners board: This is embarrassing... but I need help getting defined! - RX Muscle Forums. If you get a chance, could you check out that thread and let me know if you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

over40
11-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi guys,

I am about to turn 38, and am sort of struggling with my physique goals right now and could really use some guidance. I didn't know if I could post those types of questions on this board, so I posted for help over on the beginners board: This is embarrassing... but I need help getting defined! - RX Muscle Forums (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?p=620309). If you get a chance, could you check out that thread and let me know if you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Diet and cardio!!

apex23
11-01-2009, 07:21 PM
you are not as bad as most people your age. With proper diet (not starving yourself) and cardio/weights...you will be good to go.

I prefer H.I.I.T. style cardio to keep the metabolism stoked. You can get yourself on track with no problem at 38...which is not to old to change.

Saki
11-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I prefer H.I.I.T. style cardio to keep the metabolism stoked. You can get yourself on track with no problem at 38...which is not to old to change.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but won't HIIT style cardio make me end up losing too much muscle? I thought I read somewhere that long sessions of low intensity (~130bpm) was best...?

freebirdmac
11-01-2009, 07:55 PM
A couple of HIIT sessions a week will be fine. As long as your deficit isn't too large and your nutrient intake is good, you should lose about 1 pound a week of fat and keep your muscles. Keep in mind fat loss isn't always seen on the scale.

Saki
11-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks. I really like jump rope, so I wonder if I could do some intervals of that.

That's an interesting observation about fat loss and the scale -- is that because water weight fluctuates?

freebirdmac
11-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks. I really like jump rope, so I wonder if I could do some intervals of that.

That's an interesting observation about fat loss and the scale -- is that because water weight fluctuates?

Water fluctuations mostly, scale error, and muscle gains. If your deficit isn't too big you can slowly have mass gains. But water fluctuations can really mask fat loss on the scale.

Jump rope would be fine. Just walk around for the rest interval.

Saki
11-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Hmm... fat loss and muscle gains together? that would be nice :) I've never had that before, but I think I tended to cut calories too much because I would lose weight, but not get leaner. Water fluctuations are definitely going to make it harder to figure out what's working, but I am going to force myself to be patient. So, I won't expect to have my six pack until two weeks from now... (just kidding!)

Thanks again for all of your help!

freebirdmac
11-01-2009, 09:17 PM
You want a 500 cal deficit for 1 pound of fat loss a week. You can use this to get a ballpark on your maintenance. Use "moderately active". Subtract of 500 and shoot for those cals. After 4 weeks gage your progress and make any needed adjustments. Which should be small. http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/tdcn.html

Saki
11-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Wow, you really know your stuff! Thanks for the link. According to http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/tdcn.html, I need ~3100 calories/day, so I will aim for 2600. I'll probably have to tweak my diet some in the beginning to approach that target, but should be interesting to see how close I get.