PDA

View Full Version : Plateau Busting Ideas?

IRONURSE
02-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Lots of great training info on here! Question to all .... What are your thoughts on busting thru plateaus? I started working out seriously in Nov 2007 - had to lose a ton of weight and bf (I was 160lbs, 33%bf). Now, for the last 6 months I have been concentrating on building muscle and I feel like I have hit a plateau. (I'm 5'6'', 120lbs, 11%bf)
I am interested in hearing what some of your strategies are if you don't mind sharing.
Thanks!
:D

tammyp
02-27-2009, 04:32 PM
1st off...you need to eat enough..and in surplus to add muscle.

i do forced reps, rest pause, drop sets...also maybe hitting weak areas 2 x a week.

cardio at a min.

BadAssBarbie
02-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Usually a cheat meal will get my metabolism fired up again.

sassy69
02-27-2009, 05:23 PM
If you want to build some good muscle & strength, EAT and LIFT like a mofo!

pnohe
02-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I have had a TON of results implimenting a strength/shape day while attempting to break plateaus with my figure competitors. An example of the split used would be ...
MONDAY chest/bis
TUESDAY strength/shape
WEDNESSDAY legs/shoulders
THURSDAY stregth/shape
FRIDAY back/tris

a sample strength/shape day...

jump squats 4 x 15 superset with
pushups 4 x max

bent over row (reverse grip) 4x15, 12, 10, 10 superset with
reverse pushup (aka reverse row) 4xmax

walking lunge 4x aprox 15 yards superset with
squat thrust 4x 15

assisted wide grip pull up 4x20,15,12,max
assisted dip 4x20,15,12,max

cable fly with lunge 4x20 each side

gorilla crunch 4 x max

so this is obviously just an example but over and over it has worked very well. training this way for about 4 weeks then returning to your last workouts should produce great gains. beasically you are going into a controlled overtraining period.

as a side note, I am sure this would also work well for my males, it just tends to be too hard for them (lol!!)

sassy69
02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
There are many things you can tweak, but I think I'm not clear on the plateau you want to break thru? Its very hard to build muscle & maintain very low bodyfat (e.g. <12%). So at 11% I think you're probably sacrificing some ability to gain muscle if you are trying to keep that lower bodyfat level. Also at only about 18 months into training, you've got a whole variety of hypertrophy styles you can try. E.g. 5x5, FTS-7, etc.

IRONURSE
02-28-2009, 05:20 PM
There are many things you can tweak, but I think I'm not clear on the plateau you want to break thru? Its very hard to build muscle & maintain very low bodyfat (e.g. <12%). So at 11% I think you're probably sacrificing some ability to gain muscle if you are trying to keep that lower bodyfat level. Also at only about 18 months into training, you've got a whole variety of hypertrophy styles you can try. E.g. 5x5, FTS-7, etc.

Thanks Sassy for the reply. The plateau is no more increases in size in the last 4 weeks but I have gotten stronger. I am not necessarily trying to keep the bf at 11% but I have been watching the protein/carbs and I am doing "slow" cardio to avoid catabolic changes. I would really like to know more about those hypertrophy styles.

IRONURSE
02-28-2009, 05:26 PM
I have had a TON of results implimenting a strength/shape day while attempting to break plateaus with my figure competitors. An example of the split used would be ...
MONDAY chest/bis
TUESDAY strength/shape
WEDNESSDAY legs/shoulders
THURSDAY stregth/shape
FRIDAY back/tris

a sample strength/shape day...

jump squats 4 x 15 superset with
pushups 4 x max

bent over row (reverse grip) 4x15, 12, 10, 10 superset with
reverse pushup (aka reverse row) 4xmax

walking lunge 4x aprox 15 yards superset with
squat thrust 4x 15

assisted wide grip pull up 4x20,15,12,max
assisted dip 4x20,15,12,max

cable fly with lunge 4x20 each side

gorilla crunch 4 x max

so this is obviously just an example but over and over it has worked very well. training this way for about 4 weeks then returning to your last workouts should produce great gains. beasically you are going into a controlled overtraining period.

as a side note, I am sure this would also work well for my males, it just tends to be too hard for them (lol!!)

Thanks Pnohe for the reply. The workout looks great. I tried doing a cutting workout for a couple of weeks then going back to my low reps / heavy weights. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. I am a newbie and can use all the advice I can get!

IRONURSE
02-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Usually a cheat meal will get my metabolism fired up again.

Thanks Badass! Girl you are a trip! Seriously, what is your cheat meal?
I'm thinking burger and fries or pizza ..... :eek:

IRONURSE
02-28-2009, 05:32 PM
1st off...you need to eat enough..and in surplus to add muscle.

i do forced reps, rest pause, drop sets...also maybe hitting weak areas 2 x a week.

cardio at a min.

Thanks Tammy for the reply. I do have to force feed! I am on stims and supps and I try to keep my "feeding" schedule at 3-4 hr intervals.
How long do you change up your workout to break thru? (weeks?)
I reduced cardio down to "slow" cardio on stepmill or tradmill @ 30mins / 5days week.

KRISSY CHIN
02-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Sounds like yummy choices to me:D
I had a burger and fries last night for my cheat meal=

Krissyxo

Melissa
02-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Lots of great training info on here! Question to all .... What are your thoughts on busting thru plateaus? I started working out seriously in Nov 2007 - had to lose a ton of weight and bf (I was 160lbs, 33%bf). Now, for the last 6 months I have been concentrating on building muscle and I feel like I have hit a plateau. (I'm 5'6'', 120lbs, 11%bf)
I am interested in hearing what some of your strategies are if you don't mind sharing.
Thanks!
:D

I have found myself in your shoes a couple of times during the past several months, as I am taking over 1 year off between shows since I'm switching to bb and trying to put on more muscle. My staple workout has been the 5x5 that Sassy mentioned, where you train each bodypart once per week. Pick one compound exercise for each major body part (I use squats, deadlifts, incline bench, and standing military press) and you progress to your 5 rep max over the course of 5 sets. There is a specific formula for figuring out the progression (if you'd like I could PM it to you). The rest of your workout should be moderate to lighter weight using a variety of exercises...note "lightER" because it shouldn't actually be light. You'll be looking for anywhere from 10-15 reps. Anyway, I like this model because it's a very simple way to track progress...the program basically does it for you and all you have to do is log your numbers.

When I become stagnant there, I have found that switching to the "traditional" Arnold split helps to break the plateau. Plus, it's a few weeks where you're not stressing about trying to beat numbers. The catch is that the workouts take a long time and you burn out quick (usually within 3 or 4 weeks) because you're training each bodypart 2 or 3 times per week. But by then, I'm usually ready to switch back to 5x5 again. I found this link for the Arnold workout: http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_60/69c_fitness_tip.html

Hope this helps!

sassy69
02-28-2009, 09:11 PM
I want to say don't get too frustrated because people seem to think changes continue linearly -- if you're seeing a stall in hypertrophy but an increase in strength may be the muscle is just starting to work w/ the size its gained and growth will pick up again. I'm thinking also particularly if you've been lower bodyfat. A change in the diet, like a good refeed mighte kick that up again, and possibly a change in your training focused at hypertrophy.

A last thought is identifying "how" your body grows - for some people certain combinations like low reps / high weight does it, for others the reverse, etc. This is another part of the "time spent" in "Fitness" - trying different programs & seeing what your body responds best to.

BadAssBarbie
02-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Well...I am an expert cheat meal eater:) I just had my last cheat meal though. No more for the next four weeks. UGH!! ANYWAY, mine was at BJ's Brewery. I had avacado egg rolls, pizza, and triple chocolate pizookie!!!!
I was serious though....a cheat meal usually does seem to spark my metabolism. I think it kinda shocks my body.
I think the first thing I want after my show is Cadburry Creme Eggs!! OMG!! It might put me into a diabetic coma for a while, but DAMN those things are good!!!!

tammyp
03-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Thanks Tammy for the reply. I do have to force feed! I am on stims and supps and I try to keep my "feeding" schedule at 3-4 hr intervals.
How long do you change up your workout to break thru? (weeks?)
I reduced cardio down to "slow" cardio on stepmill or tradmill @ 30mins / 5days week.

you are trying to add muscle right? why add stim when your not cutting? maybe post up your stats and diet. all the training in theworld isnt going to work unless you are eating for growth.

sassy69
03-01-2009, 03:52 PM
you are trying to add muscle right? why add stim when your not cutting? maybe post up your stats and diet. all the training in theworld isnt going to work unless you are eating for growth.

X2! Each component of your protocol needs to be structured towards the same protocol. If not, you're sending mixed messages to your body & it can't do both at once, so you get more of a lot of nothing, or worse, even step backwards because your body can't figure out what you are asking of it. I.e. less fuel & heavier training = catabolism.

IRONURSE
03-01-2009, 05:16 PM
I have found myself in your shoes a couple of times during the past several months, as I am taking over 1 year off between shows since I'm switching to bb and trying to put on more muscle. My staple workout has been the 5x5 that Sassy mentioned, where you train each bodypart once per week. Pick one compound exercise for each major body part (I use squats, deadlifts, incline bench, and standing military press) and you progress to your 5 rep max over the course of 5 sets. There is a specific formula for figuring out the progression (if you'd like I could PM it to you). The rest of your workout should be moderate to lighter weight using a variety of exercises...note "lightER" because it shouldn't actually be light. You'll be looking for anywhere from 10-15 reps. Anyway, I like this model because it's a very simple way to track progress...the program basically does it for you and all you have to do is log your numbers.

When I become stagnant there, I have found that switching to the "traditional" Arnold split helps to break the plateau. Plus, it's a few weeks where you're not stressing about trying to beat numbers. The catch is that the workouts take a long time and you burn out quick (usually within 3 or 4 weeks) because you're training each bodypart 2 or 3 times per week. But by then, I'm usually ready to switch back to 5x5 again. I found this link for the Arnold workout: http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_60/69c_fitness_tip.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks Melissa. Sure pm me anything you have. Very much appreciated.

IRONURSE
03-01-2009, 05:20 PM
I want to say don't get too frustrated because people seem to think changes continue linearly -- if you're seeing a stall in hypertrophy but an increase in strength may be the muscle is just starting to work w/ the size its gained and growth will pick up again. I'm thinking also particularly if you've been lower bodyfat. A change in the diet, like a good refeed mighte kick that up again, and possibly a change in your training focused at hypertrophy.

A last thought is identifying "how" your body grows - for some people certain combinations like low reps / high weight does it, for others the reverse, etc. This is another part of the "time spent" in "Fitness" - trying different programs & seeing what your body responds best to.

Thanks Sassy,
I have tried carb cycling (more on training days, less on off days) with a cheat day a week and for training I tried 1 body part / day x 5 days (2 weeks), then same + adding a weak area on two of the days (2 weeks). I am maintaining but no big changes.

IRONURSE
03-01-2009, 05:25 PM

Thanks Tammy,
You have a point. I was following a diet and workout plan designed by "Iron Dolls" Karen Sessions which did put size on and kept me pretty lean. My body got used to it and I started to tweak here and there. I will start a training journal (in the other thread) so you can see where I am at lifting and diet wise.

IRONURSE
03-01-2009, 05:31 PM
X2! Each component of your protocol needs to be structured towards the same protocol. If not, you're sending mixed messages to your body & it can't do both at once, so you get more of a lot of nothing, or worse, even step backwards because your body can't figure out what you are asking of it. I.e. less fuel & heavier training = catabolism.

Yep Sassy, you also have a point. I did put on some lean muscle mass using the Iron Dolls program but now I am stagnant. I need to make adjustments but not too sure what. I will start a training journal (in the other thread) and look forward to your input.

IRONURSE
03-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks so much to all of you for your suggestions. I will start a training journal in the other thread so that you can see what I am doing. I appreciate all the advice and your help in trying to help me figure this out. I'll start working on the journal tonight.
:)