PDA

View Full Version : confused!

irishmuscle
11-03-2009, 10:16 AM
if im right,i believe if you have carbs with ur protein shake after training it will help transport the nutients quicker to where its needed because of the insulin spike or something like that,but for the last 3 months ive been just havin a protein shake. Now am i mising out cause im not havn carbs in my shake. If i need carbs what should i put in,a few spoons of oats,a spoon of sugar,some orange juice etc etc. I would love some feed-back on this question,thanks guys.

ironwarrior22
11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Ive always heard that you should have more insulin potentiating carbohydrates like dextrose or waxy maize but I think white bread or white rice is just fine. Oatmeal wouldnt be the best option because its very fiborous and slow to digest and doesn't cause much of an insulin spike. Fruit is also not the best because your body cant restore muscle glycogen with it, it fills the liver glycogen and then goes directly to fat storage.

11-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Pre workout you can have rice, oats, pasta etc. for carbs.
Post workout you are better off with faster carbs such as waxymaize combined with whey.

MattPT88
03-12-2010, 09:25 PM
if im right,i believe if you have carbs with ur protein shake after training it will help transport the nutients quicker to where its needed because of the insulin spike or something like that,but for the last 3 months ive been just havin a protein shake. Now am i mising out cause im not havn carbs in my shake. If i need carbs what should i put in,a few spoons of oats,a spoon of sugar,some orange juice etc etc. I would love some feed-back on this question,thanks guys.

Well its the rise in blood glucose that cause the insulin to be released. But ya if you combine high GI foods with protein, the insulin will help shuttle the nutrients into the muscles faster. Bananas, watermelon, and carrots are all fruits/veggies that are high GI. Plus dextrose is a good choice.

Stay away from fibrous carbs and fats because they will slow down the digestion process and itll take longer to get the nutrients into the blood stream.

If your not on a strict diet or precontest Id say add some carbs to your postwork eating.