PDA

View Full Version : Are you a functional addict?

Sistersteel
02-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Thought I would spark up this discussion.

Any functional addicts among us? Would someone like to describe a functional addict for us or shall I do the honors?

Aaron Singerman
02-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Someone who is still using but is able to keep his/her job, pay the bills, keep relationships, but still is physically and mentally addicted to some substance.

Aaron Singerman
02-27-2009, 11:40 PM
I personally may have had functional periods, but generally they would only last for a short time, then I'd be back to normal non-functioning status.

BK
02-27-2009, 11:47 PM
I've known a couple people like this and was amazed that they could pull it off.

musclegoddess65
02-27-2009, 11:50 PM
I've been that functional addict and was married to one... eventually I realized that life would kill me if I didn't turn it around...

Sadly he did not learn the same... died at the age of 48, Oct 07, massive heart attack....

indianamonster1986
02-28-2009, 12:03 AM
I was one for about a year. Makes me wish I had that time back, but it opened my eyes to a lot of shit.

Sistersteel
02-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Someone who is still using but is able to keep his/her job, pay the bills, keep relationships, but still is physically and mentally addicted to some substance.

Hey there :) So nice of you to drop by!
Yes, indeed that is the classic definition of a functional addict.The interesting thing about functional addicts is that they use their drug to function normally. You certainly cannot tell that they are using because they are very coherent, lucid, productive in the workplace, provide for their families, and lead generally very normal lives. They might even work an extra job to ensure that they have a steady supply of the drug to keep them functioning. Now take away that "object of their obsession" and watch their lives crumble to the ground.

I, ladies and gentlemen, am the farthest thing from a functional addict.
I cannot function for shit when I am using. My life goes to hell INSTANTLY.
I do not think I ever was a functional addict. I am genetically predisposed to developing addictive tendencies and obsessive behaviors, so once it all came back to bite me in the ass, I was a goner.

Sistersteel
02-28-2009, 01:09 AM
I've been that functional addict and was married to one... eventually I realized that life would kill me if I didn't turn it around...

Sadly he did not learn the same... died at the age of 48, Oct 07, massive heart attack....

musclegoddess65 thank you for dropping by. That is a sad story. I am sure that must have been very hard on you. Those are the most difficult situations. Being married or in love with an addict who eventually pulls you down into the gutter with him. You stick around to help and before you know it you are the one in need of help.

If you do not mind me asking, had you guys gone your separate ways before he passed?

I have a friend who woke up one morning to a dead husband.
You are a strong women and I am happy you are here with us!!

Thank you for sharing! and please keep coming back!

musclegoddess65
03-01-2009, 06:33 PM
musclegoddess65 thank you for dropping by. That is a sad story. I am sure that must have been very hard on you. Those are the most difficult situations. Being married or in love with an addict who eventually pulls you down into the gutter with him. You stick around to help and before you know it you are the one in need of help.

If you do not mind me asking, had you guys gone your separate ways before he passed?

I have a friend who woke up one morning to a dead husband.
You are a strong women and I am happy you are here with us!!

Thank you for sharing! and please keep coming back!

Yes we had divorced before he died... Sadly, when we were married, I kept telling him he would make me a widow before he was 50... when our best friend Gary (who had found him dead) called me with the news.. Gary said.. well you always told him he would be dead before he was 50... Believe me when I say I always like to be right.... but this is one time in my life I would have been so glad to be wrong.

Even though we had divorced we remained the best of friends. We chatted regularly and got together when I went back east. Part of my leaving was because of the drugs. I knew if I stayed I would not be able to stop, by nature I think my personality is of an addictive type.

Thankfully, lately, my addiction is the gym....

Dr Pangloss
03-01-2009, 06:46 PM
what is the point of defining an "addict" as someone who is powerless over the drug and has realized "life is unmanageagle" if you're going to turn around and suggest there are "functional addicts?"

This is an oxymoron by Bill's own vernacular.

You know what? If they are functional, and their life is not fucked up, then they are not addicts. period. By your own logic.

Sistersteel
03-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Yes we had divorced before he died... Sadly, when we were married, I kept telling him he would make me a widow before he was 50... when our best friend Gary (who had found him dead) called me with the news.. Gary said.. well you always told him he would be dead before he was 50... Believe me when I say I always like to be right.... but this is one time in my life I would have been so glad to be wrong.

Even though we had divorced we remained the best of friends. We chatted regularly and got together when I went back east. Part of my leaving was because of the drugs. I knew if I stayed I would not be able to stop, by nature I think my personality is of an addictive type.

I am sorry for your loss. It takes a lot of courage for a woman to walk away from a situation like that. I am happy you have been able to find a release in the weight room. That is ultimately what brought here to share your story.

Thank you for your courage and please keep coming back!

musclegoddess65
03-01-2009, 06:57 PM
what is the point of defining an "addict" as someone who is powerless over the drug and has realized "life is unmanageagle" if you're going to turn around and suggest there are "functional addicts?"

You know what? If they are functional, and their life is not fucked up, then they are not addicts. period. By your own logic.

If they can not live their live without the drug, they are an addict, period. Yes they may be able to function, but... would they be able to function if their drug was no longer available to them??

DECABEATZ
03-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I use to be a functioning addict intill i crossed the line and couldnt control the tolerance and needed it every day and every 3 hours!!!!!!! Well i am still recovering from that financially and will be for another few years!

Sistersteel
03-01-2009, 06:58 PM

Functional addicts are people who generally do not think they have a problem. The steps are for those who have admitted defeat.

Dr Pangloss
03-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Functional addicts are people who generally do not think they have a problem. The steps are for those who have admitted defeat.

In other words, they are not addicts.

Sistersteel
03-01-2009, 07:27 PM
In other words, they are not addicts.

Blackbeard
An addict is a person who is physiologically or psychologically dependent on an addictive substance. Being functional simply means that these individuals
have managed to have some sort of a life while having a chemical dependency. Take away the drug, and watch their lives fall apart. The drug is merely a crutch that enables them to put on this facade that everything is going well on the surface.

Dr. Joel Nathan
03-04-2009, 11:34 PM

Yes, there are people who use addicting substances and and start and stop at will and they have no problems in their health or relationships. They would not fit under the category of addict because their drug use does not have adverse consequences.

There is an area of addiction called harm reduction. Today, I had lunch with a psychologist who specializes in this. After finishing my current Basic Training in Addiction Post, I'll tackle this topic.

If any forum readers have a drug use concern or have a friend who has a concern about the their substance use, they could Private Message me.

Joel Nathan, MD

Dr Pangloss
03-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Yes, there are people who use addicting substances and and start and stop at will and they have no problems in their health or relationships. They would not fit under the category of addict because their drug use does not have adverse consequences.

There is an area of addiction called harm reduction. Today, I had lunch with a psychologist who specializes in this. After finishing my current Basic Training in Addiction Post, I'll tackle this topic.

If any forum readers have a drug use concern or have a friend who has a concern about the their substance use, they could Private Message me.

Joel Nathan, MD

this was, respectfully, what i was trying to get at Joel. Does the medical community see these people as "in need of treatment?"

illwill
03-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I was a very functioning addict. I never lost my job or a relationship because of dope. I was always there for my son, with joint physical custody. I never brought that stuff around him. He never once saw me even drink a beer until he was 12. He's now 17. There was no way I wanted my boy to grow up like I had. I had him every other week, so my time to party was my off week.

I first began drinking alcohol at 11. Smoked my first weed joint at 12. Didn't like weed so I quickly went to sniffing glue, paint & gas. By 16 I was using coke, then crank every day. Which led to PCP 4 times a week. I started my career at 19. By 20 I scaled back my usage to weekends only. It wasn't until I was 36 that I quit all drugs. It will be 4 years in June. I still remember my big send off. WOW. A crazy week indeed.

My drugs were crank (snorting & smoking), coke (snorting & smoking), pcp (from 16-19), herion a couple of times, ecstacy, lcd, and shrooms.

SonOfPluto
03-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I was for many years. It wasn't until I was clean, that I realized just how much it actually compromised my overall performance in life. Pain killers were my addiction. I'm glad I never took the step to using heroin. Its very painful to this day for me to watch documentaries on Heroin addicition, because I see what I easily could have been or ever worse..

bigmikecox
03-10-2009, 09:10 PM
I was for about 5 years. Would always make it to work and train, but i'd binge every 3-4 weeks, which eventually became one a week. Almost ruined my life. Wasted so many years and jobs. I look back on my past and its hard to let go. The guilt is insane. I think back about the situations I put myself in and God only knows why i'm not dead or in jail. I willnever go back to that lifestyle again.

Sistersteel
03-11-2009, 12:51 AM
These posts remind me of a saying that appears in the basic text. I would like to share with you.

Those who fail to remember are doomed to repeat.

Reminders are important and a vital part of sobriety, my friends.

bigmikecox
03-11-2009, 05:05 AM
These posts remind me of a saying that appears in the basic text. I would like to share with you.

Those who fail to remember are doomed to repeat.

Reminders are important and a vital part of sobriety, my friends.

I never understood that saying when I was using. But i'd be on auto pilot during my binges but as soon as the dope was gone, i'd think, that was insane. It was such a vicious cycle of lying, sneaking and using. But in my mind, I was better than the people I was using with b/c I didn't do it everyday and I had a job. WTF???

TONYT82
03-11-2009, 08:06 AM
A few months ago i split with my ex,i started drinking a bit more than normall.Then one night when i was drunk as hell i got into my car,i drove 30 miles or so and crashes the whole car was twisted around me i should have been killed but all i got was a few scratchs,someone was looking down on me i know that for sure.
I still drink but im thinking i shouldnt ,"Those who fail to remember are doomed to repeat"
This has me thinking i need to stop drinking all together,

BigJD69
03-11-2009, 09:41 AM
What about someone that needs to be on a Narcotic for pain? That has been on them for a consistent basis for 15 yrs?

Sistersteel
03-11-2009, 11:35 AM
What about someone that needs to be on a Narcotic for pain? That has been on them for a consistent basis for 15 yrs?

Then they require chronic pain management. That is supervised by a physician.

Let me mention this:

A person who does not associate the drugs with getting high, ie a normal individual who does not suffer from addicitive/drug seeking behavior, is usually someone who will not have a problem when coming off the drugs even after extended periods of use.

So when drugs are solely used for therapeutic purposes, and are taken as prescribed, usually weaning off of them according to a monitored protocol should pose no problems for the patient.

That might be a good subject to take up with Dr.Nathan who could provide a more concrete approach.

BigJD69
03-11-2009, 02:39 PM
I agree Sistersteel, the above mentioned is me. I live in pain so I need them. I will take no more than 4 a day, and that's on a really bad day. I can see how most people can get out of control with them, not me! I don't have an addictive personality. My body doesn't crave the drug. I believe you are born with an addictive personality.

Sistersteel
03-11-2009, 05:33 PM
I agree Sistersteel, the above mentioned is me. I live in pain so I need them. I will take no more than 4 a day, and that's on a really bad day. I can see how most people can get out of control with them, not me! I don't have an addictive personality. My body doesn't crave the drug. I believe you are born with an addictive personality.

Yes. The program teaches you that addiction is usually an inherited trait. People with substance abuse issues are genetically predisposed to developing those kinds of tendencies. My father is an alcoholic and my mother is obsessive compulsive. My entire life my parents have self medicated in one way or another to live relatively normal lives.

Most people think that drug abuse is a character defect. Drug addiction is a disease. I know tons of people with chronic pain issues. Some have even spent over a year on morphine. These individuals tend to have no issues weaning off when the drug no longer serves a purpose.

Classic example. Let me tell you a bit about myself. If I take a pain pill today, it does absolutely NOTHING for my discomfort (assuminmg I had any). My mind automatically starts chasing the high. So what would start out as a single pill will end up being twenty in a matter of hours..and I would not feel any better than when I did after taking that first one.

The pleasure centers of my brain do not work right anymore. The hardest part of my recovery has been Learning how to enjoy life again without the use of drugs.

Sistersteel
03-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Wow, again, I will say that I am thankful for threads like this that keep it real...Most of us as fitness addicts or BB, have addictive personalities to begin with and I think it is great that we are bringing it to the table.

I too come from a family background of drug & alcohol abuse. I agree with you about folks being genetically predisposed.

And you are SO RIGHT...RELAPSE is a huge issue! I am speaking from my own experiences and those around me.

Those who fail to remember are doomed to repeat.- great reminder!

And as Dr Phil says (sorry.lol!)..."You cannot change what you don't acknowledge".

Exactly. Part of the solution is in acknowledging you have a problem and admitting defeat. Step 1.

BigJD69
03-12-2009, 02:22 AM
I feel bad for people like that. I have a lot of friends who are addicts and they struggle everyday of their life. I can't imagine being like that.

SonOfPluto
03-12-2009, 03:44 AM
I think what makes it so hard for a lot of us to quit is the fact that we've carried over our addictions from previous lives. And if we don't buckle down and deal with them in our present life, then it will just get passed on once again into the next. Ultimately, there is no getting around it, it must be conquered! Sometimes one will into somebody that never takes pills for anything, even the worst headaches. These are often souls that have successfully conquered their addictions in previous lives, so they carry an intrinsic anti drug addict into the present..

bigmikecox
03-12-2009, 05:07 AM
I feel bad for people like that. I have a lot of friends who are addicts and they struggle everyday of their life. I can't imagine being like that.

I wouldn't wish addiction on my worst enemy.

Addiction runs in my family and thankfully, everybody has overcome their addiction.

Fit_5"3
03-12-2009, 07:05 PM
This is a great topic.
I often wonder if I am an addict. I hate alcohol, but I smoke weed almost daily. Like, it's rare if I don't.
I work sober. I train sober. I train my clients sober.
I smoke small amounts (excuses starting....), but often. Some days maybe like every couple hours. I have a wonderful relationship with my husband, who also smokes, with my family - many who smoke, and my friends. Some of them smoke, some do not. In fact, my bff doesn't ever smoke.
I am successful, own homes, property, own 2 businessess that do well and stay on top of our busy schedules.
My first question is: am I an addict?
If so, yes, I am a functioning one.

Sistersteel, mind if I pm you about separate issue?

powermania
03-12-2009, 07:13 PM

thats not true at all! You can be functional and an addict. And their lives can indeed be fucked up more than you will ever know. Dont be so closed minded about the situation. Just because they can either function or not doesn't break or make them an addict.

Sistersteel
03-13-2009, 01:02 AM
This is a great topic.
I often wonder if I am an addict. I hate alcohol, but I smoke weed almost daily. Like, it's rare if I don't.
I work sober. I train sober. I train my clients sober.
I smoke small amounts (excuses starting....), but often. Some days maybe like every couple hours. I have a wonderful relationship with my husband, who also smokes, with my family - many who smoke, and my friends. Some of them smoke, some do not. In fact, my bff doesn't ever smoke.
I am successful, own homes, property, own 2 businessess that do well and stay on top of our busy schedules.
My first question is: am I an addict?
If so, yes, I am a functioning one.

Sistersteel, mind if I pm you about separate issue?

I suppose you could ask yourself, would you still be able to function as productively as you currently do were you to be forced to quit smoking?
If you can give it up easily without having it affect your life, then no, you are certainly not an addict.

Fit_5"3
03-14-2009, 08:16 PM
I suppose you could ask yourself, would you still be able to function as productively as you currently do were you to be forced to quit smoking?
If you can give it up easily without having it affect your life, then no, you are certainly not an addict.

Hey. I had a two days to mull over our conversation, and to read a lot of the NA threads. I also had a very long talk with my bff who is a recovering alcoholic.
To answer first, right now, I do believe I could stop smoking without it affecting my life. But I like to smoke.
I don't feel guilty smoking pot. I feel guilty using coke. And, after re-reading your PM x7, I realized that I justify it each time I use it (someone is in town and we want to party, etc). As of today, right now, I don't want to do coke again. Clearly, I binge on it. I need to learn to live for me and not be so easily swayed by anyone.
You had asked if my hubby uses when I do. Sometimes he will, sometimes I'll use it with friends or cousin.
We talked on our way home today and agreed that we just will not buy it anymore. He was very supportive of my request. He's really only done it a handfull of times. I did use drugs in high school/college, but then didn't use anything for years while I was a legal assistant, oh, other than alcohol which I binged on, hence the reason I hate it and don't touch it other than red wine here and there and that's like a 2 glass max or I'm a fool.
Thanks, SS, for everything in your message. I was absolutely not offended. You helped me open areas of my mind that I needed to.
I also re-read your story in the beginning thread and it reaffirmed what you said - - if it's not bad yet, it will be. I don't want to lose anything I have or anyone I love. Plus, there is too much life in me to waste on feeling like shit after a night of partying too late.
Thanks again. I will def keep up with this section.
Very much appreciate your time and help. :)

Sistersteel
03-15-2009, 12:59 AM
I don't want to lose anything I have or anyone I love. Plus, there is too much life in me to waste on feeling like shit after a night of partying too late.
Thanks again. I will def keep up with this section.
Very much appreciate your time and help. :)

That is the truth!
Please allow us to be a part of this journey with you and do not hesitate to drop by and tell us how you are feeling on a daily basis...

roseanne
09-07-2009, 05:52 AM

Well hello all, I am here finally. I have to say first OMG.. musclegoddess... is this half way down the path of destruction that I am on.. A VERY long story short. My husband and I are now separated, a long 6 or 8 months or so of total destruction, stress, now poverty, muscle loss lol.. ouch. and anything else that goes along with it. I had to deal with the worst of cocaine phsycosis (dontmind my spelling), Days and days of being kept awake, and now extreme poverty... maybe lose my house from it.
I also with all this had to compete this past month at the canadian nationals. I didnt do it for anyone but the sanity of myself, even with the embarasment of just.. yuk. Where i was going with this is, he just went into a week drug treatment program and I will have lots of counceling here too. This is only 1/2 done this journey.. he wont call or talk, divorce is what he askes. I just want the life i had last year. He also ended up in the hospital a month ago with massive chest pain, but was cleared of anything.... see.... if it doesnt stop... oh dear Musclegoddess I feel for you deaply. I will try to be here off and on.. you know how... timely we are dealing with this.. time is NOT of the essence.. with all thoughts of everyones encouragement... xo

Ryan Wacht
09-10-2009, 06:56 PM

I disagree to a certain extent. Having been there and done that, I realized that I missed out on a lot of things while I was merely 'functional' as opposed to being clean. I think that was because motivation was lacking while I was in the throws of addiction. During my time off work, I would be content with sleeping most of my free time away, while when clean, I would often feel the urge to get out of the house and do something. I also think that addicts that are functional underestimate just how much their usage compromises their performance of task in everyday life, including on the job.