PDA

View Full Version : Stop Squatting?

joedemarco
11-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Check out this video of Mike Boyle talking about why we should stop squatting. Personally, I disagree with him. I'm to old school to ever give up squatting!

http://www.functionalstrengthcoach3.com/squats.html

buckimscl
11-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Amen Doc!!!

Baldiewonkanobi
11-05-2009, 04:51 PM
I get a spasm in the lower lumbar on anything over 225. In my 40s I could rep 405. I have switched to HEAVY leg press and deadlifts. Legs are responding possible best ever as a Natural.

Baldie

cook
11-05-2009, 04:58 PM
When they pry the squat bar from my cold dead hands

fatbackgoal
11-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Interesting stuff. I just started doing squats again but have decided to let go of the ego, drop the weight and go for form. I have really felt it and may finally get my legs to grow. I am with Baldie, let the squats set up the heavy leg press.

gman
11-05-2009, 05:15 PM
my back hurts worse when I do leg press than when I squat

Baldiewonkanobi
11-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Turn around !!

Baldie

gman
11-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Turn around !!

Baldie

oh shit, I wasn't supposed to lie face down...dammit.

DBowden
11-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Never.

bodyhard
11-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Fuck no, even after my car accident and the docs told me not to I didn't and I wont.

HeavyDutyGuy
11-06-2009, 02:11 AM
Well. I usually don't have a problem with them. Although Mondays session setting a new PR and trying to force the bottom part of the ROM left me with a back spasm all week. (Fk the ass to grass shit, my torso and calves too long and thighs too short to do that without weight, let alone 600 lbs). Leg extensions supersetted with leg presses both done unilaterally finished the job. The back torque may have been as much from the unilateral leg press, I bring my knee about as far back as it will go, I have to wedge myself in, lol. The good part is my thighs are now my thickest bodypart proportonately. So yeah gonna keep squatting and supersetting. Deadlifts on back day work them pretty good too.

joedemarco
11-06-2009, 08:15 AM
my back hurts worse when I do leg press than when I squat

I'm not surprised. Mechanically, your back is in a much more vulnerable position on a leg press then on a squat.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-06-2009, 09:29 AM
I do agree that squats are the *Number One* Bodybuilding exercise....just that after 5 decades of doing them my lower back stops me from upping the necessary poundages I need to make my Gwenyth Paltroe sticks grow...I put on one of those large rubber velcro edged heat wraps plus my belt these days and still @ 225+ ZAP. So heavy leg press (going for 16 wheels tomorrow), dead lifts and good mornings are my new foundation builders. Like the rest of you I add in all the foo foo lunging, extensions and ham curls.

Baldie

Oh...Joe...I have had 3 Meniscus surgeries, 'was' scheduled for knee replacements 7 years ago and 3 years ago broke my Tibia, Fibia and Talus. Synvisc and BioCell technology baby....kept me in the game.

Capt_lou
11-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Found out a little over a month ago that I have a bulging disk in my T12-L1, so not getting under a bar for awhile.

Leg Press, Extensions, Lunges, Glute/Ham raises are about as much as I can do at this time.

Aaron Singerman
11-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Stop squatting and your legs will end up looking like many Master's class guys already do... Seems like leg size is the first thing to go.

axioma
11-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Stop squatting and your legs will end up looking like many Master's class guys already do... Seems like leg size is the first thing to go.

I don't know if you have really looked at the master class guys lately, but most of the shows I have been to recently the masters divisions is deciding the open as well. That is a slam on Masters, bro. You might be talking 3 or 4 deep in a division, but the top guys will kick the shit out of any guy your age or younger. Mel, Stan, Robert...need wheels? The Masters are the true warriors in bodybuilding my friend. Anyone can juice and lift through the 30's, however most guys in the 40+ have had the ruptured disc, torn tendons and stress fractures. I know I have. I hope I am the exception to your observation at Master Nationals.

axioma
11-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm not surprised. Mechanically, your back is in a much more vulnerable position on a leg press then on a squat.

I have difficulty finding the right leg press to get the feel in the legs and not the lower back. My gym doesn't have a good one, fight the machine instead of the weight. Any suggestions on setting up the press to work? Could I shorten the range since I go deep on squats? How do you feel about vertical press? I really can't go over 400 on squats for reps and 1000+ presses are tearing up the lower back more than the quads.

bodimajestik
11-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Squats will just break your back and leg bones....you can get the size on leg presses and hack squats

joedemarco
11-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I have difficulty finding the right leg press to get the feel in the legs and not the lower back. My gym doesn't have a good one, fight the machine instead of the weight. Any suggestions on setting up the press to work? Could I shorten the range since I go deep on squats? How do you feel about vertical press? I really can't go over 400 on squats for reps and 1000+ presses are tearing up the lower back more than the quads.

I like vertical presses. Are you saying that you don't squat? Is that why you are looking for an alternative?

bodimajestik
11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Have done squats like crazy....but lately good better mass and shape sticking with Leg Presses and Hack squats......I don't let my ego take over my bodybuilding goals...at least for legs

joedemarco
11-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Squats will just break your back and leg bones....you can get the size on leg presses and hack squats

Thank you for sharing your lack of weight lifting knowledge with this forum.

fitbody
11-12-2009, 10:49 AM
squatting is the most natural functional movement of our humanity
to give up squatting is ludicris
how the hell do you get to the toilet if you don't squat
how do you sit in a chair ?
now how you squat
and how heavy you squat
this is what needs to be addressed !

seeing we are discussing this on the masters thread
there is a little saying that holds so true here when it comes to us that are gettin a bit older

"IF YOU DON'T USE IT YOU LOSE IT"

now me...
i like to be fully self sufficient
and i wanna be taking care of myself to a ripe old age
so i will continue to squat in order to continue to stay healthy & functional
not to mention how i love to squat sitting on a man !
ha ha '
would never wanna lose the ability to do that !

ob205
11-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I think a great solution to the load becoming to great in Back Squats is to switch to Front squats! You usually can only handle about 60-75% of what you do on back squats and it definitely recruits the quads more.

gman
11-12-2009, 12:28 PM
i cannot do a front squat to save my life

joedemarco
11-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Front squats are also a great exercise. You definitely feel it more in the quads on front squats.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Bill Pearl told me that if you were stuck on a desert island and had only one piece of equipment pray that it is a squat rack. "Done right your ears will even grow".

I agree...wish my lower backdid. Avitar shows that my ecto body did sport some presentable wheels at one time. Squats. These days heavy pressing, 45 degree and vertical, and dead lifts must be my staple. The Nationl level Masters have fantastic legs right up to about age 65 max. After that its sad. I hope to be the best up there..even if its only bold separation and striation. Better than the baby smooth I saw earlier this year.

Baldie

fitbody
11-12-2009, 12:44 PM
I think a great solution to the load becoming to great in Back Squats is to switch to Front squats! You usually can only handle about 60-75% of what you do on back squats and it definitely recruits the quads more.

i cannot do a front squat to save my life

i always put my clients on front squats first
otherwise people cheat too much

Gman you could if you had the right teacher
you gotta totally back of the weight !

fitbody
11-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Bill Pearl told me that if you were stuck on a desert island and had only one piece of equipment pray that it is a squat rack. "Done right your ears will even grow".

I agree...wish my lower backdid. Avitar shows that my ecto body did sport some presentable wheels at one time. Squats. These days heavy pressing, 45 degree and vertical, and dead lifts must be my staple. The Nationl level Masters have fantastic legs right up to about age 65 max. After that its sad. I hope to be the best up there..even if its only bold separation and striation. Better than the baby smooth I saw earlier this year.

Baldie

yep
but the deadlift is the same movement as a squat except reverse
so really you don't need equip to train the squat
just hold onto something or someone of the ground
use proper form
and stand up and down and up and down
and there you go ~ squattin'

people say to me when i teach them Deads....
what does this work ?
EVERYTHING I SAY, from the tips of your toes to the top of your head
not to mention the oh so important pelvic floor muscles te he he...
if you could only pick 1 exercise i'd say Deadlifts
if you could pick 2 i'd say 1. deads 2. squats
and that'll hit every muscle in your freakin' body done right

gman
11-12-2009, 12:46 PM
i always put my clients on front squats first
otherwise people cheat too much

Gman you could if you had the right teacher
you gotta totally back of the weight !

I think I was able to do it with 95 a few years back...gave up when I couldn't go heavier...

Maybe could do better now that I have a few front delts to rest the bar on!

bodimajestik
11-12-2009, 12:56 PM
I do every thing heavy ass except for squats....I have done them in past as I won my state level powerlifting show by squating 410 pounds all natural when I was only 19 years old...I am 24 now....I have stopped squating like a year ago becz of my knee pain but I do very heavy leg presses and have got better results when I use to do squats a lot....The issue with me leaving squats or with squats is that we tend to go for ego and heavy weight...Good if you can keep your ego in control but was not the case with mine and it resulted in some cartilage issue so I just quit them.....

@fitbody....I agree with you that you make your clients do front so they cannot cheat but I think they train under your guidance and you know when to stop them when they try to lift too much heavy or with wrong form. Stubborn asses like me cannot be controlled...when I use to powerlift or do squats, if some other guy in the gym didh heavier then me then I had to beat him no matter what others say...so that is the main reason I've given up on them and due to my knee issue......Just wanted to clear here that I have done very heavy squating and been through that mindest of if you don't squat then you cannot be a bodybuilder

fitbody
11-12-2009, 01:09 PM
I think I was able to do it with 95 a few years back...gave up when I couldn't go heavier...

Maybe could do better now that I have a few front delts to rest the bar on!

never give up
never give up
never give up

start in the smith machine...

then when you are stronger & more confident use fr wts

its all about mind set
mind over matter
when something is hard for me
i focus on that and make it my master

ADAPT & OVERCOME

fitbody
11-12-2009, 01:11 PM
I do every thing heavy ass except for squats....I have done them in past as I won my state level powerlifting show by squating 410 pounds all natural when I was only 19 years old...I am 24 now....I have stopped squating like a year ago becz of my knee pain but I do very heavy leg presses and have got better results when I use to do squats a lot....The issue with me leaving squats or with squats is that we tend to go for ego and heavy weight...Good if you can keep your ego in control but was not the case with mine and it resulted in some cartilage issue so I just quit them.....

@fitbody....I agree with you that you make your clients do front so they cannot cheat but I think they train under your guidance and you know when to stop them when they try to lift too much heavy or with wrong form. Stubborn asses like me cannot be controlled...when I use to powerlift or do squats, if some other guy in the gym didh heavier then me then I had to beat him no matter what others say...so that is the main reason I've given up on them and due to my knee issue......Just wanted to clear here that I have done very heavy squating and been through that mindest of if you don't squat then you cannot be a bodybuilder

467 lbs squat was my best in a meet at 167 lbs bodywt
i was good for a 485 actually
but circumstances i didn't get to take it
i was 1991 U.S. National Champ Powerlifter

bodimajestik
11-12-2009, 01:12 PM
never give up
never give up
never give up

start in the smith machine...

then when you are stronger & more confident use fr wts

its all about mind set
mind over matter
when something is hard for me
i focus on that and make it my master

ADAPT & OVERCOME

You give me a kiss and I'll lift whatever you want me too....

fitbody
11-13-2009, 12:36 AM
THE SQUAT

Down this road, in a gym far away,
a young man was heard to say,
"no matter what i do, my legs won't grow"
he tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses , too
trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he'd do.

from the corner of the gym where the big men train,
through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain
where the noise is made with big forty fives,
a deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees.
a very big man with legs like trees.

laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack
chalking his hands and monstrous back,
said, "boy, stop lying and don't say you've forgotten,
the trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN'. "

bodimajestik
11-13-2009, 02:23 AM
I get your word tough women....

zander
11-13-2009, 03:09 AM
one day again ... maybe ..

cook
11-13-2009, 08:40 AM
See if anyone agees with me here.I think squats are the most effective exercise for building quads so on a scale of 0-100 let`s give them 100.Leg presses let`s give a 93,leg extensions a 78 ,on down to walking around the block we give a 6.If you have bulging disks in your back and your risking paralysis doing squats then of course you have to do something else .This is bodybuilding not destroying so you do leg presses which are slightly less effective but you can still build alot of quad muscle.I have seen people who could only do leg extensions and these are farther down the scale.Hopefully we never get to the point where all we can do for quads is walk around the block but who knows?Now I`m 50yrs.old and have been squatting since 17 and my knees are probably the healthiest part on me.I guess the point I`m trying to make is we should do the most effective exercise we can safely do but I see many people simply making excuses to not do squats.Anyone agree?

gman
11-13-2009, 08:42 AM
i feel squats more in my hams and ass.

bodimajestik
11-13-2009, 08:50 AM

Gman I agree with you....everybody has a different body type and different way to react to some exercises.....I can do incline presses way more heavy then Bench presses....when I did squats, the only pain I was feeling was in ass and hips... am 6.1 ft tall guys....Guys of Lee Priest's height can do them easily...I said that if you can build good muscles doing leg presses and Hack squats and if you are having issues while squatting then it is not necessary to squat.....Did Dorian Yates squat??? no stil he won the sandow 6 times and many other don't also....Guys who can do it..good for them but you can still build good thighs without them

cook
11-13-2009, 08:52 AM
You might be getting too far forward and be using your hips to pull the weight up.

cook
11-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Gman I agree with you....everybody has a different body type and different way to react to some exercises.....I can do incline presses way more heavy then Bench presses....when I did squats, the only pain I was feeling was in ass and hips... am 6.1 ft tall guys....Guys of Lee Priest's height can do them easily...I said that if you can build good muscles doing leg presses and Hack squats and if you are having issues while squatting then it is not necessary to squat.....Did Dorian Yates squat??? no stil he won the sandow 6 times and many other don't also....Guys who can do it..good for them but you can still build good thighs without them
Yates did squats until he had a hip problem that forced him to stop So he found other exercises to replace them that didn`t aggravate this.Which is what I suggested in my post about squats.

bodimajestik
11-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Whatever reason...Yates still had good thigh mass.....I am just in favor of doing more leg presses and hack squats then regular bone shattering squats....simply becz the pressure is more on hips and glutes rather then thighs no matter how much good form you use

browny133
11-13-2009, 09:06 AM
i agree 100% with you cook...so many people have so many excuses for not doing them and its coz they're simply the most taxing exercise to do..i love squats and made my best progress from getting rid of my knee wraps,my ego and a plate off each end and doing deep higher reps.

cook
11-13-2009, 09:11 AM
i agree 100% with you cook...so many people have so many excuses for not doing them and its coz they're simply the most taxing exercise to do..i love squats and made my best progress from getting rid of my knee wraps,my ego and a plate off each end and doing deep higher reps.
Excellent point on form.I see people squatting 405lbs all the time who could not do one proper squat with 225 and then wonder why their knees and hips are killing them.

gman
11-13-2009, 09:11 AM
225 is about my rep out limit where I can actually do 10-12...feel like a pussy but I am a bodybuilder not a powerlifter.

looking strong vs being strong

fitbody
11-13-2009, 09:12 AM

You might be getting too far forward and be using your hips to pull the weight up.

form is key
and you have to find the right form for your bodys structure

fitbody
11-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Excellent point on form.I see people squatting 405lbs all the time who could not do one proper squat with 225 and then wonder why their knees and hips are killing them.

ha ha with ya bro
not only that piliing on the weight and going down like a few inches !
makes me wanna hurl

last sun less than 4 hrs sleep training partner fuckin' flaked
had to train 9 am sun due to pt appts and accomidating clients

MUST BRING UP LEGS !

so fuck it did 285 lbs 3 x 8 buried it below parellel
with the help of my motivational collage that always goes with me around the gym on leg day of Dave Palumbo's legs
so for when i wanna cut it high
and when i wanna punk out on wt instead of jumpin every workout
i look at those pix of his legs and i remember what i gotta do

bodimajestik
11-13-2009, 09:18 AM
form is key
and you have to find the right form for your bodys structure

As I said earlier I am a tall guy....so according to my body structure I cannot go way down because then the pressure would come onto my joints rather then the muscles...and spotter there would always say to me to go down and I am like...do you want me to just sit down on the floor?....lol

That is one issue with squats that people looking at you will always say you to go down a bit more.....and ya we are bodybuilders not powerlifters....though I use to power lift but my aim to build my body and not go for ego to break it....dnt take me wrong I DO very heavy dead lifts and presses and pulling...but squat is the main issue for me......I quit it not becz I am scared to it but it gave me some injury in my knees and hips.....

cook
11-13-2009, 09:21 AM
225 is about my rep out limit where I can actually do 10-12...feel like a pussy but I am a bodybuilder not a powerlifter.

looking strong vs being strong
Dude I feel your pain.I come from a powerlifting background so that`s one reason I `m partial to squats.But I can squat about half the weight I once could.I`m doing more reps now and still plugging along though.

fitbody
11-13-2009, 09:21 AM

if you don't feel like you're gonna puke doing legs
you ain't training hard enough

in between my sets last wkend
i laid on the rubber matting floor of the gym
with my feet up on a bench
cuz my lower back was engorged with blood and tight
underneather the big vent blasting cold air at me
a former pro football guy came up to me and said "are you ok"
i'm like "oh yeah, i'm ok"
as i panted away trying to catch my breath
" my backs just tight !"

after squats went an piled the wt on hack squats
then over to leg ext (2 plates away from the bottom of the stack)

YEAH FUCK GROW MOTHER FUCKERS' GROW !
SUCK IT UP PRINCESS !
DO YOU WANNA BRING UP YOUR LEGS OR NOT
YOU KNOW WHAT YOU GOTTA DO
JUST FUCKIN' SUCK IT UP & DO IT !

gman
11-13-2009, 09:25 AM
is this true on a cut too?

how can you grow on a deficit?

just asking because I don't know much

browny133
11-13-2009, 09:27 AM
lol...love it love it...makes me wanna do legs right now.gotta wait till sunday:-)

cook
11-13-2009, 09:30 AM
I`ve been there.Laying on the floor after a high rep set of squats.Can`t catch my breath. heart about to explode and thinking Oh shit did I push it too far? But I`ve always made it back.

fitbody
11-13-2009, 09:34 AM
I`ve been there.Laying on the floor after a high rep set of squats.Can`t catch my breath. heart about to explode and thinking Oh shit did I push it too far? But I`ve always made it back.

thatz the best feeling in the world
like me on sunday
fuck how great i felt when i pulled it off
making my jump on my own with so little sleep
i was like "HELL YA !!!!!!!!!!"

the feeling you get when you unrack it like; FUCK THIS IS HEAVY !!!!!!
i almost always unrack just an inch lift up
and readjust to make sure bar completely centered on back
plus gets your head ready for how heavy it's gonna be
Ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....
lets fuckin' do this !

everyone in the whole gym staring at you like you're a freak
screaming bloody murder
fuck it !
just get it up
thatz the name of the game

fitbody
11-13-2009, 09:37 AM
lol...love it love it...makes me wanna do legs right now.gotta wait till sunday:-)

yeah me too legs sunday
fuckin' kill it ! :yep:

gman
11-13-2009, 09:38 AM
damn, I need to workout at a hardcore gym with some freaks someday.

I probably tap about 10% of my potential

fitbody
11-13-2009, 04:48 PM
damn, I need to workout at a hardcore gym with some freaks someday.

I probably tap about 10% of my potential

FUCK I dont' train in a hardcore gym
wish i did
have trained at some great one
not really any around anymore there anyway
i'm at a major corporate fitness center
i work at the largest chain of gyms in the Vancouver lower mainland
everyone looks at me like i'm crazy when i train
i actually had a few ex-pro football players on 2 seperate occasions
come up to me the last month and them say that i brought back great memories for their younger days seein me training like that
ha ha i don't care what people think when i train
i make alot of noise
i love the sound of the banging of the iron
i'm there to work not look pretty

buckimscl
11-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Gman, I used to have a gym that had a puke bucket by the squat rack. No air conditioning and a little heat in the winter and 200lb db's. Damn, I loved that place. Open 24 hours and they gave you a key. Owner died and they shut it down!

gman
11-13-2009, 04:56 PM
yeah, I meant hardcore people to train with, not hardcore gyms guys.

I have never trained with someone that worked that hard...I probably have no idea how easy I am taking it.

trying to picture how good my legs might be if I trained them as hard as FB...

fitbody
11-13-2009, 04:57 PM
when i first started training for powerlifting competition i trained in Brownwood, Texas the gym i trained in no air conditioning no windows where wt room was
fucking over 100 degrees outside and even hotter inside some days
fuck it
GUT IT OUT

buckimscl
11-13-2009, 05:01 PM

I have never trained with someone that worked that hard...I probably have no idea how easy I am taking it.

We might be able to set somthing up in Columbus. Bring your shit and maybe we'll hit legs Saturday morning. Nothing like squatting till your start getting queasy and then do some lunges as a superset....... HAHA(insert evil laugh)

exit2010
damn. makes me wish today was leg day. eh, almost.

fitbody

trying to picture how good my legs might be if I trained them as hard as FB

fuck dude you just gotta find it within you
i totally physce myself up
i got the collage of Daves legs i focus on
i wrap my wrists
i wrap my knees
all the while i'm talking to myself in my head and out loud
i don't care what people say or think i gotta get myself up
or i'm gonna get crushed
i take big inhales then forcefully exhale quite a few times
i quicken my breathing & my heart rate
gotta get the adreneline flowing
i get up tighten my belt
grab the bar
put my forehead on the bar
couple more big breaths
get under it
unrack slightly make sure bar evenly balance
about 98 % of time will reset it to be perfect
i even growl most if not all the time when it's heavy
it makes my heart rate go up
and then fuckin' do it

buckimscl
11-13-2009, 05:02 PM
i got the collage of Daves legs i focus on
i wrap my wrists
i wrap my knees
all the while i'm talking to myself in my head and out loud
i don't care what people say or think i gotta get myself up
or i'm gonna get crushed
i take big inhales then forcefully exhale quite a few times
i quicken my breathing & my heart rate
gotta get the adreneline flowing
i get up tighten my belt
grab the bar
put my forehead on the bar
couple more big breaths
get under it
unrack slightly make sure bar evenly balance
about 98 % of time will reset it to be perfect
i even growl most if not all the time when it's heavy
it makes my heart rate go up
and then fuckin' do it

Should I be getting aroused????? JK everyone calm down;)

fitbody
11-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Should I be getting aroused????? JK everyone calm down;)

you tell me hon
alotta guys that would turn them right off
I'M A FUCKIN' ANIMAL IN THE GYM
I'M ON A MISSION RIGHT NOW
2010 dude i'm gonna kill it
they lit a fire under my ass this yr
i got something to prove
i told my training partner & i sent Dave an email which i titled "I Promise"
saying: i promise i'm gonna train harder this next yr than i ever have in my life
and i'm doing that

exit2010
11-13-2009, 05:11 PM
jeezus. okay good luck in 2010, fitbody.

buckimscl
11-13-2009, 05:11 PM
I love the gym that I train in it's a constant barrage of women with the silver dumbells. The women who I train are there for a purpose and a reason. They grab their db's off the other rack where the men get their's from. There form is good they know what exercises do what and they see results. Every woman I train squats on a weekly basis. I had one text me today to remind me it's leg day on Monday.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-13-2009, 05:12 PM
What show in 2010 Fit?

Baldie

gman
11-13-2009, 05:13 PM
I would love to do this in the 150 sq ft free weight area in my Y....might be kind of fun to see what happens. I am surrounded by cardio and machines being used by 60 year old women!

No spotters to be had either. That's why I never try to squat heavy...my max ever is 3 at 275.

I know I can do more...

fitbody
11-13-2009, 05:14 PM

mike i forgot to attach this
you need to listen to the words of this song
especially the beginning
i used this song all the way thru my show this yr
and was listening to it today

i especially listen to it on leg day
listening to it right now....
fuckin yeah !

Eminem - Till I Collapse

YouTube- Eminem - Till I Collapse

buckimscl
11-13-2009, 05:17 PM
I would love to do this in the 150 sq ft free weight area in my Y....might be kind of fun to see what happens. I am surrounded by cardio and machines being used by 60 year old women!

No spotters to be had either. That's why I never try to squat heavy...my max ever is 3 at 275.

I know I can do more...
G, when I work out at the "Y" I get the craziest looks. I was squatting about 475 a month or so ago and it's the same stuff you get. All of these old women and men and they look at me like I got 12 eyes or something. This old lady comes up to me once and says "That's alot of weight. You're gonna hurt yourself. I smiled at her and said "Ma'am , yes it is alot of weight and no I'm not gonna hurt myself. I've got it under control." She smiled and walked away. I need to put that on a shirt!!!!

gman
11-13-2009, 05:17 PM
awesome song...not a rap fan, but this is good shit!

I will puke or come close to it next leg day, promise!

People at the Y think I am the baddest motherfucker around. I lift heavier than anyone in there in the a.m.

lol

Especially when I do 405 dl's...i get some crazy looks. That ain't even heavy for hardcore people!

It's all perspective I guess.

These are the same people asking me why I want to lose any more weight...fucking clueless

fitbody
11-13-2009, 05:21 PM
G, when I work out at the "Y" I get the craziest looks. I was squatting about 475 a month or so ago and it's the same stuff you get. All of these old women and men and they look at me like I got 12 eyes or something. This old lady comes up to me once and says "That's alot of weight. You're gonna hurt yourself. I smiled at her and said "Ma'am , yes it is alot of weight and no I'm not gonna hurt myself. I've got it under control." She smiled and walked away. I need to put that on a shirt!!!!

do it and send me a shirt !
and put on the back of my shirt...
"BUCKY was HERE !"

Ha ha !!!!

fitbody
11-13-2009, 05:22 PM
awesome song...not a rap fan, but this is good shit!

I will puke or come close to it next leg day, promise!

People at the Y think I am the baddest motherfucker around. I lift heavier than anyone in there in the a.m.

lol

Especially when I do 405 dl's...i get some crazy looks. That ain't even heavy for hardcore people!

It's all perspective I guess.

These are the same people asking me why I want to lose any more weight...fucking clueless

it's not about being a rap fan
its the words !

buckimscl
11-13-2009, 05:23 PM
do it and send me a shirt !
and put on the back of my shirt...
"BUCKY was HERE !"

Ha ha !!!!
I can make that happen! I got skillz!!!;)

bodyhard
11-13-2009, 05:26 PM
mike i forgot to attach this
you need to listen to the words of this song
especially the beginning
i used this song all the way thru my show this yr
and was listening to it today

i especially listen to it on leg day
listening to it right now....
fuckin yeah !

Eminem - Till I Collapse

YouTube- Eminem - Till I Collapse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPkAHvp1Vgw)

Fuck fitbody you got me hyped up right now, fucking wish I was in the gym right now doing squats, still got some weeks left.....counting!

buckimscl
11-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Fuck fitbody you got me hyped up right now, fucking wish I was in the gym right now doing squats, still got some weeks left.....counting!
Dude, you gotta do something about the Avi!!! WTH :)

gman
11-13-2009, 05:29 PM
it's not about being a rap fan
its the words !

I listened to them, I promise:hypno:

that's why I said it was good shit.

I am listening to Rammstein a lot lately, that gets me fucking pissed off so I can work harder!

YouTube- Rammstein - Feuer Frei

fitbody
11-13-2009, 05:32 PM
I can make that happen! I got skillz!!!;)

do it then mr.weaver ;)

gman
11-13-2009, 05:36 PM
seriously fb...I was wondering about what I asked way up above...I hear so many opinions.

Can you grow muscle while leaning out? As in kill your legs by squatting your ass off, and have them grow even though you are eating below maintenance

buckimscl
11-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Gman, I'm not as experienced as Fit but I believe you can. Proper training and proper nutrition. Burn the fat for energy and build the muscle. Just MHO

buckimscl
11-13-2009, 05:39 PM
I may have some shirts like that made (got a friend who screens) and bring them to the Arnold for the Masters participants!!!

fitbody
11-13-2009, 05:39 PM

you should check out my thread "Q & A with Canadian Dawn Alison"
its in the "Womens" section
then go to "Womens Q & A"
here's the link: http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=1173&page=22

i put up daily motivation with my "Pt of the Day'
and alotta times "Pt of the Night"
and sometimes more
it's all about motivation

listen to this...
Bring Me to Life - Evanescence
YouTube- Bring Me to Life - Evanescence

you gotta find it within yourself
people have no idea what they're capable of !!!!!!
sometimes you just have to be shown, pushed
i've had some great mentors
my first husband believed me like no other before him or since
but what he instilled in me can never be taken away
and i freely give that to others
PAYING IT FORWARD
sometimes someone something can light a fire within us, that changes us
and thatz what i try to help people find, and do
it's my passion

gman
11-13-2009, 05:44 PM
You got me believing I can be a freak, FB

Once I lean out and do a show, I am going to pack on some fucking lean mass. I think I can carry a lot more on my frame than I have right now...if I work harder than I ever have.

fitbody
11-13-2009, 05:52 PM
jeezus. okay good luck in 2010, fitbody.

thanx hon
gonna kick some fuckin' ass at nationals
it may just be my own
but at least i know i gave it all i had and left nothing in the tank

fitbody
11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
I love the gym that I train in it's a constant barrage of women with the silver dumbells. The women who I train are there for a purpose and a reason. They grab their db's off the other rack where the men get their's from. There form is good they know what exercises do what and they see results. Every woman I train squats on a weekly basis. I had one text me today to remind me it's leg day on Monday.

fuck doin shoulders last night never train at night
did 50's db's for front raises
then tried 50's for 1 arm bentover rear delt raises ~ too light
but the 55 & 60's were being used
so i said fuck it grabbed the 65's did them
on the 8th rep i threw the db on the ground
rubber db's which i hate & on rubber matting ground
i was grunting away during my set
then when i chucked it on the ground my training partner says to me
(we are both personal trainers there by the way)
"EXCUSE ME MISS CAN YOU PLEASE NOT THROW THE DB'S ON THE FLOOR"
i said "OH I THOUGHT THATS WHY THEY WERE RUBBER SO YOU COULD DO THAT"
HA HA
like i give a shit what the sign say GGrrrrrrrrrrr.........

fitbody
11-13-2009, 05:58 PM

I 2nd that it makes me wanna throw up i can't look at it ! :mad:

buckimscl
11-13-2009, 06:00 PM
fuck doin shoulders last night never train at night
did 50's db's for front raises
then tried 50's for 1 arm bentover rear delt raises ~ too light
but the 55 & 60's were being used
so i said fuck it grabbed the 65's did them
on the 8th rep i threw the db on the ground
rubber db's which i hate & on rubber matting ground
i was grunting away during my set
then when i chucked it on the ground my training partner says to me
(we are both personal trainers there by the way)
"EXCUSE ME MISS CAN YOU PLEASE NOT THROW THE DB'S ON THE FLOOR"
i said "OH I THOUGHT THATS WHY THEY WERE RUBBER SO YOU COULD DO THAT"
HA HA
like i give a shit what the sign say GGrrrrrrrrrrr.........
Ms, would you please not throw the weights and stop all the grunting your annoying the other customers......:p

fitbody
11-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Ms, would you please not throw the weights and stop all the grunting your annoying the other customers......:p

ha ha thatz why i'm glad my ex-boyfriend just bought this gym in langley
and i'm probably gonna move there after working at FW for 10 yrs

fitbody
11-13-2009, 06:13 PM
What show in 2010 Fit?

Baldie

Canadian Nationals Open Heavy Wt Women Aug 14th, 2010 Saskatoon, Sk
Canadian Nationals Masters Women Aug 21, 2010 Toronto, Ont

bodyhard
11-13-2009, 09:35 PM

I 2nd that it makes me wanna throw up i can't look at it ! :mad:

LOL damn guys be nice, that was me just last year :D :D

Fitbody one day I will PM you I think you would be interested on what I have to say.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Canadian Nationals Open Heavy Wt Women Aug 14th, 2010 Saskatoon, Sk
Canadian Nationals Masters Women Aug 21, 2010 Toronto, Ont

We will all be on your team. You are one dialed in chick.

Baldie

bodyhard
11-14-2009, 12:05 AM

Baldie

She is straight up hardcore, a fucking breath of fresh air from all these fucking wannabees in the Masters section. I came here because I was tired of all the bullshit on the other site and now this place (the Masters section) is becoming just as sickening. I keep throwing up in my mouth from all the fucking ass kissing.

if I see one more YOU LOOK great to people who clearly look like shit I think I am going to kill myself :D :D

blu2xtreme
11-14-2009, 12:37 AM
She is straight up hardcore, a fucking breath of fresh air from all these fucking wannabees in the Masters section. I came here because I was tired of all the bullshit on the other site and now this place (the Masters section) is becoming just as sickening. I keep throwing up in my mouth from all the fucking ass kissing.

if I see one more YOU LOOK great to people who clearly look like shit I think I am going to kill myself :D :D

Who pissed in your Wheaties :hypno:

Bad night ...in the Bronx

I think people do try and help here ...you don't stick around enough to notice or help
and calling people wannabees ...in their own section is bullshit and you know it...your better then that

sassy69
11-14-2009, 12:54 AM
squatting is the most natural functional movement of our humanity
to give up squatting is ludicris
how the hell do you get to the toilet if you don't squat
how do you sit in a chair ?
now how you squat
and how heavy you squat
this is what needs to be addressed !

seeing we are discussing this on the masters thread
there is a little saying that holds so true here when it comes to us that are gettin a bit older

"IF YOU DON'T USE IT YOU LOSE IT"

now me...
i like to be fully self sufficient
and i wanna be taking care of myself to a ripe old age
so i will continue to squat in order to continue to stay healthy & functional
not to mention how i love to squat sitting on a man !
ha ha '
would never wanna lose the ability to do that !

I'm a little late to the discussion, but this is my first thought related to squats. I actually went years not knowing how to squat correctly, simply due to the fact that back then "girls didn't lift" and I had no one around me to really learn from (N. Minnesota is NOT the mecca of weight training...). When I did finally learn, I also realized just how wonderfully functionally correct they are, and I literally HAVE to do ass to the floor bodywt squats just to get everything aligned correctly. Otherwise my friggen knees get all tweaky on me and feel like they're going to pinch at any moment. Once I get a couple of those going, I'm in the game. I was training for NPC Nationals up until 2 weeks ago, and 4 weeks ago (just before you get inside of 4-6 weeks out & you really start to feel the depletion) I was able to get out 2 sets of 6 ATF (I guess nearly atf -- ham to calf) w/ 225.

Anyway, I go hardcore when I can do it w/o getting hurt, but I still consider ATF Squats to be my foundation exercise just to get everything lined up & working the right way.

fitbody
11-14-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm a little late to the discussion, but this is my first thought related to squats. I actually went years not knowing how to squat correctly, simply due to the fact that back then "girls didn't lift" and I had no one around me to really learn from (N. Minnesota is NOT the mecca of weight training...). When I did finally learn, I also realized just how wonderfully functionally correct they are, and I literally HAVE to do ass to the floor bodywt squats just to get everything aligned correctly. Otherwise my friggen knees get all tweaky on me and feel like they're going to pinch at any moment. Once I get a couple of those going, I'm in the game. I was training for NPC Nationals up until 2 weeks ago, and 4 weeks ago (just before you get inside of 4-6 weeks out & you really start to feel the depletion) I was able to get out 2 sets of 6 ATF (I guess nearly atf -- ham to calf) w/ 225.

Anyway, I go hardcore when I can do it w/o getting hurt, but I still consider ATF Squats to be my foundation exercise just to get everything lined up & working the right way.

Rock on sista !
and babe you are never to late in discussion
you just jump right in anytime you're gorgeous self wants to

fitbody
11-14-2009, 01:31 AM
seriously fb...I was wondering about what I asked way up above...I hear so many opinions.

Can you grow muscle while leaning out? As in kill your legs by squatting your ass off, and have them grow even though you are eating below maintenance

it is possible somewhat, but depends on lots factors
but if you are talking all out contest dieting
especially closer to end
you are just trying to just hold what you got
and you will always lose a bit of lean mass even under the most ideal conditions
but you still wanna train your ass off to try to preserve all you can

fitbody
11-14-2009, 01:44 AM
You got me believing I can be a freak, FB

Once I lean out and do a show, I am going to pack on some fucking lean mass. I think I can carry a lot more on my frame than I have right now...if I work harder than I ever have.

thatz why they call me "THE COACH"

what he taught me about me believing in myself
is what i try to teach others
i give what was freely given to me
and hope in turn it gets passed along
thatz what it's all about

haha thatz what i do
believe in people until they can believe in theirselves
like my first husband powerlifting legend Doug Yound did

YOU GOTTA BELIEVE

my saying for Fit Body is: "IF YOU CAN SEE IT YOU CAN BE IT"

pic is Doug Young 3 x world champ powerlifter, 3 x world record holder in the Bench Press
the man who got me into the iron game
and taught me everything i know
he was my coach, my husband, my lover, my mentor, my friend
i will always miss him
RIP

fitbody
11-14-2009, 02:07 AM
LOL damn guys be nice, that was me just last year :D :D

Fitbody one day I will PM you I think you would be interested on what I have to say.

you are gonna make me wait ?
till when ?
i hate when people do that to me...
i gotta tell you something, but not right now
don't you know i'm a sag !
the impatient one....
out with it !

fitbody
11-14-2009, 02:28 AM

Baldie

awe thanx hon it means alot to me :hmn:

fitbody
11-14-2009, 02:29 AM
She is straight up hardcore, a fucking breath of fresh air :D :D

ha ha thanx for the compliment
PM me i wanna know whatz on your mind !

bodimajestik
11-14-2009, 02:48 AM
This post would have been incomplete if no one was against the squats...I belong to later part.....I will try to provide all the facts why we do not need to squat to build thighs, so through this discussion people can find their answers.....

bodyhard
11-14-2009, 02:22 PM
you are gonna make me wait ?
till when ?
i hate when people do that to me...
i gotta tell you something, but not right now
don't you know i'm a sag !
the impatient one....
out with it !

ha ha thanx for the compliment
PM me i wanna know whatz on your mind !

LOL nah I wont make you wait just been mad busy, I will PM soon very soon.

Its not a biggie just want to pick your brain on training don't know too many female bodybuilders that are as hardcore as you. And give you some feedback on me, plus I am am intrigued..

fitbody
11-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Awaiting your PM - go right ahead and pick away my brain - you can pm or ask in my Q and A in womens Q nd A in womens section. - my. Thread Q and A with Canadian Dawn Alison which ever u prefer and however I can b of service just holler

LOL nah I wont make you wait just been mad busy, I will PM soon very soon.

Its not a biggie just want to pick your brain on training don't know too many female bodybuilders that are as hardcore as you. And give you some feedback on me, plus I am am intrigued..

sassy69
11-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Awaiting your PM - go right ahead and pick away my brain - you can pm or ask in my Q and A in womens Q nd A in womens section. - my. Thread Q and A with Canadian Dawn Alison which ever u prefer and however I can b of service just holler

Will you please also make a recommendation on a better avatar for our friend w/ the really bad case of gyno?

buckimscl
11-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Sassy, we have.....

browny133
11-14-2009, 03:13 PM
leg sunday tomorrow(fuckin bring it on)..stuffed mt face tonight as its treat day. beef tacos n strawberry triffle.up at 7am for breakfast with my daughter then of to the dungeon to cripple myself.high reps this week so bring a sick bag..:-/

bodyhard
11-14-2009, 03:20 PM

I will go the PM route

Will you please also make a recommendation on a better avatar for our friend w/ the really bad case of gyno?

LOL why the hate on my AV :(

Sassy, we have.....

Yes he has :D

fitbody
11-14-2009, 06:15 PM
leg sunday tomorrow(fuckin bring it on)..stuffed mt face tonight as its treat day. beef tacos n strawberry triffle.up at 7am for breakfast with my daughter then of to the dungeon to cripple myself.high reps this week so bring a sick bag..:-/

awesome good thinking
me too had my treat meal 12 oz strip loin garlic mashed potatoes & asparagus
legs tomorrow

bodyhard
11-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Joedemarco sorry to hijack your thread.

Fitbody I sent you a PM not sure if you got it cause I don't see anything in my sent box. Can you let me know if you got it?

bob7708
11-14-2009, 06:46 PM
I have been weight training and weight lifting for DECADES! If there is only one single weight lifting exercise that I could do to the exclusion of others it would be the squat.
I have to go back and listen to him again becouse I didn't catch it all but I know that the squat reaches all of MY lower area including the abdominal area, but you have to do it properly and do it very carefully. In my opinion it is the most important weight lifting exercise you can do becouse of all the side benefits to your health. The most important being that a well toned leg muscle group helps pump blood back up to the heart (important when you get older) and it makes it a lot easier, for me anyway, to get off my ass and walk farther distances and for a lot longer than I would if I had unconditioned legs. It also is of enormous help in Areobic exercises like running, walking or biking. Squatting is a weight lifting exercise that makes an active life a lot easier to live.

browny133
11-14-2009, 06:57 PM
agree wit you bob...its also said that it stimulates natural test levels.if ever i have a layoff for a few weeks i always come back and start with squats.i cant walk,sit or take a shite for a while but its all good...i like a quick sniff of smelling salts(amonia and menthol) before i squat because after i rack the bar the extra oxygen and bloodrush gives me a great natural high..you cant beat it!!

bob7708
11-15-2009, 05:33 AM
agree wit you bob...its also said that it stimulates natural test levels.if ever i have a layoff for a few weeks i always come back and start with squats.i cant walk,sit or take a shite for a while but its all good...i like a quick sniff of smelling salts(amonia and menthol) before i squat because after i rack the bar the extra oxygen and bloodrush gives me a great natural high..you cant beat it!!

I know what you mean about laying off squats and then going back to them. I just want to DIE after the first few days. :flash: :drool:
I was almost bed ridden this last time but after you get broken in there's nothing like the sense of power,strength and well being it gives you.
I'll try that with the smelling salts too. :)

Baldiewonkanobi
11-15-2009, 11:34 AM
OK OK you all got me thinking about squats. I mentioned that over 225 (not really all that bad for age 70) I get lower back spasams. Crazy because dead lifts dont bother me. So I'm thinking front squats in the Smith. I did my best ever leg presses, 15 wheels, in the past 20 years this morning and then went right for the Smith. Baby steps. Worked up to 35ers a side for 10 reps slightly below parallel. Butt busters. No surprises so I will keep this in my bag of tricks until the show. Upping weight/reps weekly of course.

Baldie on the grow

fitbody
11-15-2009, 12:00 PM
OK OK you all got me thinking about squats. I mentioned that over 225 (not really all that bad for age 70) I get lower back spasams. Crazy because dead lifts dont bother me. So I'm thinking front squats in the Smith. I did my best ever leg presses, 15 wheels, in the past 20 years this morning and then went right for the Smith. Baby steps. Worked up to 35ers a side for 10 reps slightly below parallel. Butt busters. No surprises so I will keep this in my bag of tricks until the show. Upping weight/reps weekly of course.

Baldie on the grow

IF YOU CAN DEADLIFT YOU CAN SQUAT
it is a squat silly

I posted some good stuff on deadlifting on my Q & A in the womens section other day
like yesterday think, here's the link: http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=1173&page=23

bob7708
11-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Fitbody. Isn't that right? It's been years since I did the deadlift. On the deadlift you should keep the back straight and the knee's slightly bent and then straighten the knee's to lift the weight. Just don't lift with your back. Isn't that the correct way to do the deadlift?

DBowden
11-15-2009, 12:12 PM
I would rather do squats than any other exercise.

There is no single exercise that stresses the body more than squats.
GH and test level increases are a result from squatting.

Also,
To my understanding, leg presses put your spine at much more of a compromised position than squats do, so squats are less risky than leg presses.
I feel more much more stress and strain on my lower back from doing 900+ pound leg presses than I do from doing 315+ pound squats and I am tall, 6'1 and a half.

fitbody
11-15-2009, 12:14 PM
it's leg day
today YEAH date at 1pm

check out body position of DEAD vs SQUAT ~ same !
except hand & arms of course

fitbody
11-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Fitbody. Isn't that right? It's been years since I did the deadlift. On the deadlift you should keep the back straight and the knee's slightly bent and then straighten the knee's to lift the weight. Just don't lift with your back. Isn't that the correct way to do the deadlift?

absolutely back straight
I FREAK THE FUCK OUT ON CLIENT, MEMBER OR STRANGER IS I SEE BENT OR ROUNDED BACK, YIKES

and knees slightly bent

MAIN THIS IS BAR MUST BE TOUCHING BODY AT ALL TIMES
OR THIS WHEN DANGER OF HURTING LOW BACK
up shin over knees up thighs
down same way

fitbody
11-15-2009, 12:20 PM
I would rather do squats than any other exercise.

There is no single exercise that stresses the body more than squats.
GH and test level increases are a result from squatting.

Also,
To my understanding, leg presses put your spine at much more of a compromised position than squats do, so squats are less risky than leg presses.
I feel more much more stress and strain on my lower back from doing 900+ pound leg presses than I do from doing 315+ pound squats and I am tall, 6'1 and a half.

I SAY DEADS THE KING OF ALL
ha ha
SQUATS 2nd
but thatz my own personal opinion
i'm a deadifting fiend

bodimajestik
11-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Here are some of the videos in which squats breaks legs-

YouTube- Dude Breaks Leg On Record Squat Attempt

YouTube- Big Bach Squatting Accident

Watch it...don't be scared.....

bob7708
11-15-2009, 12:48 PM
One other question for you fitbody and I'll stop bugging ya about it.
Instead of doing squats the standard way (weight over shoulders etc. etc.) I have been using a machine where I lay head down on a slanting board (about a 45 degree slant) and push up on a platform that has weights hooked onto it and I have been doing my squats that way and it seems to be worknig fine. Is this method as good as doing standard squats as long as I keep the correct form? I have had knee replacement surgery and my Doc. outlawed standard squats but O.K.'d this one.

P.S I saw your Competition pictures at TwixPix and you looked absolutely stunning in those pictures. Keep it up....I know you will!!!! :)

Baldiewonkanobi
11-15-2009, 12:50 PM
I scrape my shins all the way up on a dead. Eyes dead ahead. I went for reps instead of weight 25 years ago as a young (45 years old) Bodybuilder. Repping 405 in both was my all time max. Something these days about the weight not being on my shoulders seems to make the difference. But shit, I'm lucky not to be 6' under like most of my friends or one step into the front door of Happy Acres Home for the Elderly. I'll be as happy as Fit's vibrator next week when I press 800+ for reps at age 70. (not knocking you girl...you are sompin else) And, leg press does nothing to my back...should I say 'yet'?

Baldie on the grow

bob7708
11-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Great video's Bodimajestik but it helps to have a shot of something before watching them. Especially the last one. :drool:

bodimajestik
11-15-2009, 12:57 PM
My aim of those videos in not to discourage...there are lot of fools there who after watchin good weight lifting videos try to lift weight, which they cannot actually lift...remember guys the people who lift heavy have trained for years to get to that much power and strength and form....don't be scared of liftin heavy and I lift heavy too but just do it with safety......

bodimajestik
11-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Benedikt Magnusson 1100 Tire Deadlift WORLD RECORD!

YouTube- Benedikt Magnusson 1100 Tire Deadlift WORLD RECORD!

DBowden
11-15-2009, 01:01 PM
I SAY DEADS THE KING OF ALL
ha ha
SQUATS 2nd
but thatz my own personal opinion
i'm a deadifting fiend

To each their own.

Besides all that has been pointed out there is just something about a heavy squat that is nothing like any other exercise.

Weight lifting to me is as much mental as it is physical in many ways
Heavy squats to me are much more mentally challenging than deads.

I find that on a dead-lift , in the back of my mind I know that if I fail during the lift I can always drop the weight on the floor , squats are different.

How my mind perceives failing while having on my back a heavy weight in the 400+ pound range during a squat is unlike how my mind perceives failing while pulling a heavy weight from the floor

fitbody
11-15-2009, 01:37 PM
One other question for you fitbody and I'll stop bugging ya about it.
Instead of doing squats the standard way (weight over shoulders etc. etc.) I have been using a machine where I lay head down on a slanting board (about a 45 degree slant) and push up on a platform that has weights hooked onto it and I have been doing my squats that way and it seems to be worknig fine. Is this method as good as doing standard squats as long as I keep the correct form? I have had knee replacement surgery and my Doc. outlawed standard squats but O.K.'d this one.

P.S I saw your Competition pictures at TwixPix and you looked absolutely stunning in those pictures. Keep it up....I know you will!!!! :)

no it's not as good
its a supplement exercise
you don't have to squat heavy to reap benefits
you just need to squat correctly
or course the heavier you lift the better
but you have to listen to your body'
you have to start super light
get the form down
and slowly add wt each and every workout
like 10 lb jumps each wk
down to 5 lb jump
but name of game is form and addin wt each wo you can

the wt must be lite enough so the form is good
and do that long enough to be able to
train the neural pathways
so when the wt gets heavy
you're body has a groove made
and easier to keep form with heavier wt
when form goes to crap
back way off in wt
being recycle
i''ll go up to ie: 315 for reps
then recycle back to 135 and jump up again slowly'
this is how you progress and get stronger
not by staying at heavy wt forever
this is how you get injured

squats most times should be first exercise
so you can give your all to them
make sure you warmup fully
i'll do the bar for 8 reps
then 135 for 5 (no knee wraps)
then 225 for 3 (here on in i wrap knees)
then 285 for 3 x 8
those are my jumps right now

thanx for compliment on my pics
i'll never stop competin it's who i am & what i do...

fitbody
11-15-2009, 01:48 PM
To each their own.

Besides all that has been pointed out there is just something about a heavy squat that is nothing like any other exercise.

Weight lifting to me is as much mental as it is physical in many ways
Heavy squats to me are much more mentally challenging than deads.

I find that on a dead-lift , in the back of my mind I know that if I fail during the lift I can always drop the weight on the floor , squats are different.

How my mind perceives failing while having on my back a heavy weight in the 400+ pound range during a squat is unlike how my mind perceives failing while pulling a heavy weight from the floor

i totally agree with to each his own
and wt lifting is waaaaaaaaaay more mental than physical for sure

but don't agree on other point....
ONE OF THE 1ST THINGS MY 1ST HUBBY POWERLIFTING GREAT DOUG YOUNG TAUGHT ME WAS: HOW TO DUMP A SQUAT !
so if i get in trouble i chuck it off my back
course never need to cuz fuckin gut the sucker out

deadlifts are at the end of the 3 lifts in powerlifting for a reason
cuz contests are won & lost here
to be a great deadlifter you gotta have a huge heart, strong grip & you gotta be a fuckin pit bull dog to no matter how tough the fucker is you don't give up and you don''t let you and you pull and you pull till you make it

below pics is an unoffical world record of 501 lbs at 168 bodywt
that was one of those great lifts of your life you'll never forget
i broke the blood vessels in my right eye
and there's still a brown spot there today
my souvenir

fitbody
11-15-2009, 01:50 PM
One other question for you fitbody and I'll stop bugging ya about it. Instead of doing squats the standard way (weight over shoulders etc. etc.) I have been using a machine where I lay head down on a slanting board (about a 45 degree slant) and push up on a platform that has weights hooked onto it and I have been doing my squats that way and it seems to be worknig fine. Is this method as good as doing standard squats as long as I keep the correct form? I have had knee replacement surgery and my Doc. outlawed standard squats but O.K.'d this one.

YOU ARE NEVER BUGGING ME WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO LEARN !!!!!!!!

I ALWAYS SAY THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS !!!!!!!!

ASK AWAY....
i ask you...
how can i be of service ?????????

fitbody
11-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Benedikt Magnusson 1100 Tire Deadlift WORLD RECORD!

YouTube- Benedikt Magnusson 1100 Tire Deadlift WORLD RECORD! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuRxpqP9BQY&NR=1)

now thatz what i'm talkin bout ! thatz a turn on !

fitbody
11-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Here are some of the videos in which squats breaks legs-

YouTube- Dude Breaks Leg On Record Squat Attempt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMzDJiYFK5A)

YouTube- Big Bach Squatting Accident (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otqbG5CbZ7E&feature=related)

Watch it...don't be scared.....

you gotta take a weight you are capable of !
course accidents can happen
alot can be avoided it you are prepared & smart
PLUS HEAVY WTS ~ MAX WEIGHTS MAKE YOU MAKE MISTAKES
AND IF YOU AREN'T READY FOR IT MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY
IT WILL ATTACK YOU AND CRUSH YOU
YOU GOTTA TRAIN SMART AS WELL AS HARD !

toxic Avenger
11-15-2009, 02:16 PM
i might have something to add here. I'm 48 and have been very active all my life and have squatted pretty much from 18 to 48. I also did a lot of martial arts and competitions . All this said. I have had my knees scoped along the way. I have some arthritis in the trochlea area and this is from heavy squats. I just had another scope done a few weeks ago. Docs always tell you to stop doing the things that continue to cause degeneration. I plan to continue squatting with some limits. Unfortunately we all wear out. These are just the facts of life.

fitbody
11-15-2009, 02:26 PM
i might have something to add here. I'm 48 and have been very active all my life and have squatted pretty much from 18 to 48. I also did a lot of martial arts and competitions . All this said. I have had my knees scoped along the way. I have some arthritis in the trochlea area and this is from heavy squats. I just had another scope done a few weeks ago. Docs always tell you to stop doing the things that continue to cause degeneration. I plan to continue squatting with some limits. Unfortunately we all wear out. These are just the facts of life.

HA HA...
when they give me that paper like for medical info
and it' says list your surgeries...
then they give you like a line...
i'm like... "can i have another piece of paper please!"
i'll be 45 in a few days...
when i list my surgeries i start at my toes and go up my body so many
and the scars & stitches i have are all over my body too ontop that
my 1st hubby would tell me
"SHOW ME A MAN WITH NO SCARS, I'LL SHOW YOU SOMEONE WHO HASN'T DONE A FUCKIN' THING IN HIS LIFE"
me i just change man to person ha ha....
i was having like a surgery a yr for awhile
1 yr i had 2 knee ACL and hernia ha ha
people were like holy fuck
me i was like fuck it as long as they can fix me just do it"THEY CAN REBUILD HER"

fatbackgoal
11-15-2009, 03:30 PM
I just started the Wendler system and made a commitment to doing squats. I got the Starting Strength book and video and realized much of my pain was caused by ego and bad form. Now I love squats and am starting to feel how they are helping my entire body. I can't see giving up squats and the feeling you have at the bottom refusing to let the weight beat you.

bob7708
11-15-2009, 05:12 PM
YOU ARE NEVER BUGGING ME WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO LEARN !!!!!!!!

I ALWAYS SAY THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS !!!!!!!!

ASK AWAY....
i ask you...
how can i be of service ?????????

I love your Maid service Fitgirl. Now THAT'S what I call service!!! She looks like she might be a Bikini gal or a Figure Competitor. :) ;)
Thanks for answering my questions like you did. You have been a big help in clearing up some weight lifting points for me.
I do have a couple of more questions and I don't remember what they are right now but will get back to you later. :help:

Baldiewonkanobi
11-15-2009, 06:34 PM

I have had 3 scopes and a round of Synvisc in each arthritic knees. I was scheduled for knee replacements....'was'. Now 5 years taking BioCell which you can now get at Vitamin Shoppe (Hyaluronic acid, glucosamine, condroitin) a very different delievry system...I have zero knee pain. Pressed 750 for 6 reps this morning at age 70.

Baldie

buckimscl
11-15-2009, 06:41 PM
I have had 3 scopes and a round of Synvisc in each arthritic knees. I was scheduled for knee replacements....'was'. Now 5 years taking BioCell which you can now get at Vitamin Shoppe (Hyaluronic acid, glucosamine, condroitin) a very different delievry system...I have zero knee pain. Pressed 750 for 6 reps this morning at age 70.

Baldie
Good job Baldie! Obviously you recommend the BioCell.

fitbody
11-15-2009, 06:47 PM

Baldie

you could try Species Arthrolyze too for joint care !

freebirdmac
11-15-2009, 07:02 PM
it's leg day
today YEAH date at 1pm

check out body position of DEAD vs SQUAT ~ same !
except hand & arms of course

I had to ponder this for awhile as I've temporarily put bb squats aside as they were giving my quads a bye. Now I can deadlift, no problem. At the moment my best is 140# for 6 reps. Squats, I can go atg no problem. Hell my butt can touch my ankles. But getting to parallel once I have 95# pounds on my back is a major sticking point. And why my quads were getting a bye. Thinking about your dead/squat comparison I think depth is the difference. You don't go atg on deads. Now I can get on a plate loaded lever machine and work up to 230# for reps, but it only allows enough travel to go to parallel. That exercise has also be temporarily tabled as so much weight on my upper back via shoulders was causing upper back pain. I need to strengthen my upper back.

I'm hoping machine hack squats (low, to the limit) will eventually help bb squats. In the meantime I'm using heavy presses, extensions, and starting this week Smith, feet forward squats to help grow my quads.

gman
11-15-2009, 07:50 PM
I have the opposite problem...can only squat to parallel unless I have at least 95 on the bar. I can go down further when I have weight on me to push me down.

Probably tight hamstring issues is my guess

D_T
11-15-2009, 07:55 PM
At 45 I am now squatting more than I ever have in 30 years; set a PR recently and never had a serious injury either.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-15-2009, 08:02 PM
BioCell is not a product but a patented process allowing Hyaluronic Acid to enter the body orally without getting zapped along the way. Jarrow and Vitamin Shoppe are two suppliers who use BioCell. Fit I'll check your reccomendation for Hyaluronic Acid.

Baldie

HeavyDutyGuy
11-16-2009, 12:22 AM
My notes on AtG squats. Only way I can even get in that position is with feet foward and torso leaning back- ie sissy squats, smith machine and hack machine. The second sometimes hurts my back- a little, the third sometimes my knees. My solution?, do those light, then load up heavy on the bb and go to about parallel. Not ideal for the purists, but safer and sort of gives the best of both worlds. I've noted the best full squatters are often 5'8" or shorter, women with their gumby joints, wider hips and lower center of gravity, or have thighs proportionately long to calves. I don't fit any of those categories. Dammit.

fitbody
11-16-2009, 12:27 AM
I had to ponder this for awhile as I've temporarily put bb squats aside as they were giving my quads a bye. Now I can deadlift, no problem. At the moment my best is 140# for 6 reps. Squats, I can go atg no problem. Hell my butt can touch my ankles. But getting to parallel once I have 95# pounds on my back is a major sticking point. And why my quads were getting a bye. Thinking about your dead/squat comparison I think depth is the difference. You don't go atg on deads. Now I can get on a plate loaded lever machine and work up to 230# for reps, but it only allows enough travel to go to parallel. That exercise has also be temporarily tabled as so much weight on my upper back via shoulders was causing upper back pain. I need to strengthen my upper back.

I'm hoping machine hack squats (low, to the limit) will eventually help bb squats. In the meantime I'm using heavy presses, extensions, and starting this week Smith, feet forward squats to help grow my quads.

as far as depth of squat
you don't have to go ATG as you call it
parellel is fine
actually above is fine too
you have to listen to your body
i always say to clients you have to listen to your body
only you know how it feels
if with good form you start gettin pain at a certain depth
stop before that point

bodimajestik
11-16-2009, 02:25 AM
After reading different posts here completely shows that different people have different body types...you will find people who have never been injured in their life doing squats and you will find people having done surgeries due to them......I did them real heavy in my power lifting days and as like many others I discovered that my body structure is not meant for squats...I didn't leave them becz I am scared of doing them but I never felt my thighs were getting worked...only things getting the results were my knees and butts....I was training with one of the best in power lifting business and some of the national players and tried different forms too....these players also agreed that squats are not meant for some people.....Now people who have done them without any serious injury will always back them up which I can understand(I woulf have)....but just not meant for me....I got great results on hack squats and leg presses......

bob7708
11-16-2009, 10:56 AM
BioCell? Wish I knew about it five years ago. :babyboy:
I'm glad to hear it worked for you though Baldiewonkanobi. Don't ever fear knee replacement surgery if you have to have it becouse it's the most successful surgery performed in Medicine today. Mine was completely successful and I'm glad I had it done but I'll pass Biocell onto a couple of people I know who might benifit by it.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Here is their site. I should be their poster boy (geezer boy).

http://www.biocelltechnology.com/

Baldie

bob7708
11-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Before I start my weight lifting in the morning at the Gym I go to I first drink a glass of pure apple juice and a small can of Red Bull. It works great but in about two hours after I get home I start getting a mild to bad case of.....oh! How I hate trying to spell this word........:flash: diahreah. I know that fruit juice and Red Bull isn't the smartest way to start the exercise program so what types of food gives the necessary energy for weight lifting and is easy on the stomach?

fitbody
11-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Before I start my weight lifting in the morning at the Gym I go to I first drink a glass of pure apple juice and a small can of Red Bull. It works great but in about two hours after I get home I start getting a mild to bad case of.....oh! How I hate trying to spell this word........:flash: diahreah. I know that fruit juice and Red Bull isn't the smartest way to start the exercise program so what types of food gives the necessary energy for weight lifting and is easy on the stomach?

why do you do this ?
you answered this saying: I know that fruit juice and Red Bull isn't the smartest way to start the exercise program

well depends what you are trying to accomplish
and where you're physique is right now and where you want to go
but like a good breaky would be

either:
1. oatmeal, with berries + protein powder + udo's oil or species mac nut oil
or
2. eggwhite pancake with fruit in or on top with natural pb or nut butters

see my thread...
for tons of egg white pancake recipes starts post # 310
and then just sift thru the posts theres at least 30 yummy pancake recipes there....
:"Q & A WITH CANADIAN DAWN ALISON"
under “WOMENS Q & A”
in the "Women section"
here's the link:http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=1173&page=11

fitbody
11-17-2009, 12:30 AM
this thread should be titled
"WHY YOU SHOULD SQUAT !"

buckimscl
11-17-2009, 12:34 AM
I agree with Fit. Why you should squat is a better title.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-17-2009, 05:44 AM
Can the Moderator ask the Webmaster to make the change of title??

Joe, are you there?

Baldie

juggernaut
11-17-2009, 05:49 AM
I'm a big proponent of front squats. I can do these any style, 20 rep, 10x10, etc. I am kind of tall at 6'1", and back squats kill my knees and my form is shit. Front squats are totally better substitute.

cook
11-17-2009, 08:40 AM
thatz why they call me "THE COACH"

what he taught me about me believing in myself
is what i try to teach others
i give what was freely given to me
and hope in turn it gets passed along
thatz what it's all about

haha thatz what i do
believe in people until they can believe in theirselves
like my first husband powerlifting legend Doug Yound did

YOU GOTTA BELIEVE

my saying for Fit Body is: "IF YOU CAN SEE IT YOU CAN BE IT"

pic is Doug Young 3 x world champ powerlifter, 3 x world record holder in the Bench Press
the man who got me into the iron game
and taught me everything i know
he was my coach, my husband, my lover, my mentor, my friend
i will always miss him
RIP
That picture of Doug was on the cover of Terry Todd`s book Inside Powerlifting. I had that book when I first started lifting.

bob7708
11-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Fitbody: "why do you do this ?
you answered this saying: I know that fruit juice and Red Bull isn't the smartest way to start the exercise program?

Got Me! I sometimes take the fastest and easiest route without giving much thought to it....until it starts to catch up with me, like this bad habit did.

I checked out you recipes and am going to try the first two you listed. They look good. Thanks.

fitbody
11-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Fitbody: "why do you do this ?
you answered this saying: I know that fruit juice and Red Bull isn't the smartest way to start the exercise program?

Got Me! I sometimes take the fastest and easiest route without giving much thought to it....until it starts to catch up with me, like this bad habit did.

I checked out you recipes and am going to try the first two you listed. They look good. Thanks.

FAST & EASY is not the best way
IF YOU WANNA EXCEL IN ANYTHING YOU GOTTA PUT FORTH THE EFFORT
nothing worth anything cums easy

fitbody
11-17-2009, 09:56 AM
That picture of Doug was on the cover of Terry Todd`s book Inside Powerlifting. I had that book when I first started lifting.

yep that pic was on the inside of Terrys book
this pic below was on the inside...
i know i have a copy still
stole it from a Vancouver Library cuz my went missing....;)

fitbody
11-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm a big proponent of front squats. I can do these any style, 20 rep, 10x10, etc. I am kind of tall at 6'1", and back squats kill my knees and my form is shit. Front squats are totally better substitute.

wrap ur knees !
get them here: http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/
you need good wraps not crappy ones
say hi to rickey crain tell him Dawn sent you

bodimajestik
11-17-2009, 10:01 AM
yep that pic was on the inside of Terrys book
this pic below was on the inside...
i know i have a copy still
stole it from a Vancouver Library cuz my went missing....;)

cool thick dude...now that is called a man....hair on the chest. Men these days try to get clean, some even shave their test...I don't shave my chest untill its showtime......good pic again....

cook
11-17-2009, 10:09 AM
I wish I still had that book but like so many things when I was young I would throw them away or move and leave them not knowing some day I would like to have them.I got to have a conversation with Terry Todd one night in 1980. The world championships were in Arlington and I was at the gym I trained at and Terry and his wife Jan were the only other people there.Two of the nicest people I ever met and he thought Doug was the best powerlifter in the world at that time.

fitbody
11-17-2009, 10:45 AM
I wish I still had that book but like so many things when I was young I would throw them away or move and leave them not knowing some day I would like to have them.I got to have a conversation with Terry Todd one night in 1980. The world championships were in Arlington and I was at the gym I trained at and Terry and his wife Jan were the only other people there.Two of the nicest people I ever met and he thought Doug was the best powerlifter in the world at that time.

Doug & I spent some time with Terry & Jan a few x's

do what i did...
find one at a library and just keep it and pay the fine !
fuck my copy that went missing
Doug signed it and gave to my baby brother Bruce
and now both of them are dead
do you know how bad i'd like to have that book

crains muscle world used to sell them
they can't get them anymore
you could always search the web too

bodimajestik
11-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Doug & I spent some time with Terry & Jan a few x's

do what i did...
find one at a library and just keep it and pay the fine !
fuck my copy that went missing
Doug signed it and gave to my baby brother Bruce
and now both of them are dead
do you know how bad i'd like to have that book

crains muscle world used to sell them
they can't get them anymore
you could always search the web too

How did he die??

juggernaut
11-17-2009, 11:01 AM
wrap ur knees !
get them here: http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/
you need good wraps not crappy ones
say hi to rickey crain tell him Dawn sent you
I use these: http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/95498

bob7708
11-17-2009, 11:07 AM
FAST & EASY is not the best way
IF YOU WANNA EXCEL IN ANYTHING YOU GOTTA PUT FORTH THE EFFORT
nothing worth anything cums easy

Your right but I was refering to my "fast and easy" breakfast and nothing else. On my weight training, I train hard and take it very seriously......I always have. ;)

cook
11-17-2009, 12:27 PM
When I met Terry and Jan Todd I knew who both of them were.In case some of you don`t know Jan squatted over 600 lbs. thirty years ago.I asked both of them powerlifting questions and the last thing I was going to do was talk about myself but then Terry asked how my training was going and I had just squatted 600 in a meet a couple of months earlier.It was the most I had ever done and haven`t done it since.So I swelled up with pride and said I just did a 600lbs.Squat and he said "yeah that`s what my wife squats".......OWNED

joedemarco
11-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Can the Moderator ask the Webmaster to make the change of title??

Joe, are you there?

Baldie

The reason it's titled "stop squatting" is because of the initial video. Mike Boyle (well known trainer of athletes) talks extensively as to his theory of why we should not squat. I think what has happened is that a lot of people posting to this thread have not watched the initial video and therefore the thread has gone somewhat off course....lol

fitbody
11-17-2009, 05:23 PM
How did he die??

heart attack at 61
lived his life too hard
may he finally rest in peace

fitbody
11-17-2009, 05:25 PM
cool thick dude...now that is called a man....hair on the chest. Men these days try to get clean, some even shave their test...i don't shave my chest untill its showtime......good pic again....

;)thatz how i like them ! ;) real men for me ! ;)i love chest hair !;)

fitbody
11-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Your right but I was refering to my "fast and easy" breakfast and nothing else. On my weight training, I train hard and take it very seriously......I always have. ;)

the FOOD IS 85 % OF REACHING ANY KIND OF FITNESS GOALS OR HIGHER

ITS ANOTHER FORM OF DEDICATION !

it's like FAST & EASY SEX ~ YUCK ~ DO IT RIGHT !!!!!!!!

fitbody
11-17-2009, 05:34 PM
The reason it's titled "stop squatting" is because of the initial video. Mike Boyle (well known trainer of athletes) talks extensively as to his theory of why we should not squat. I think what has happened is that a lot of people posting to this thread have not watched the initial video and therefore the thread has gone somewhat off course....lol

I JUST WATCHED IT ~ MY HEART RATE HAS TAKEN OFF !
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY VALIUM HANDY ??????
is that him who's speaking ????
i was trying to get a pic to post here
ok i'm gonna post a picture of my coach Dave Palumbo & his legs K? below
now Dave recommends squats for me to gain leg size
i am in my 2nd yr training with him
i would tend to believe Dave Palumbo over Mike Boyle ha ha anyday
and so "Mikey" is saying all the bodybuilders in the past are wrong as to....
SQUATS ARE NOT A LOWER BODY EXERCISE !!!!!!! ha ha ha sorry....
i don't believe that... i don't believe him
i don't care what kinda freakin research he's done
to me the proof is in the results

fitbody
11-17-2009, 05:37 PM

oh and on the title of this thread...
i was joking about changing it
cuz its perfect the way it is
but you will never change my mind that squats are not a lower body exercise
now he says its a back exercise
if you back lift it it can be alot back true
but to say it's not a lower body exercise is complete nonsense

juggernaut
11-17-2009, 05:38 PM
what she said fool

bob7708
11-17-2009, 07:15 PM
the FOOD IS 85 % OF REACHING ANY KIND OF FITNESS GOALS OR HIGHER

ITS ANOTHER FORM OF DEDICATION !

it's like FAST & EASY SEX ~ YUCK ~ DO IT RIGHT !!!!!!!!

Those are words from the wise Goddess Dawn and I shall heed them. :bowdown: :) ;)

joedemarco
11-18-2009, 08:20 AM

I absolutely agree. 99% of the time, if someone has great wheels, they have spent a lot of time in the squat rack.

bodimajestik
11-18-2009, 08:58 AM
what she said fool

Hey Dawn see the PIC very closely...There is a guy in the left corner in White T-Shirt and mustache.....he looks like your ex.....tell me I am wrong....:)

fitbody
11-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Hey Dawn see the PIC very closely...There is a guy in the left corner in White T-Shirt and mustache.....he looks like your ex.....tell me I am wrong....:)

nope not him ~ not near big enough for Doug !

fitbody
11-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Those are words from the wise Goddess Dawn and I shall heed them. :bowdown: :) ;)

smart !

you GOTTA FEED THE MACHINE

YOU DON'T PUT JUNK FUEL IN A MASERATI ENGINE

do you know the movie RATATOUILLE ?
the pappa rat hits the nail on the head when he says: FOOD IS FUEL !

bodimajestik
11-18-2009, 10:12 AM
nope not him ~ not near big enough for Doug !

Just I came across this pic and gave it a thought......

bob7708
11-18-2009, 10:25 AM
smart !

you GOTTA FEED THE MACHINE

YOU DON'T PUT JUNK FUEL IN A MASERATI ENGINE

do you know the movie RATATOUILLE ?
the pappa rat hits the nail on the head when he says: FOOD IS FUEL !

Great comments, Fitbody!! You've got a cute sense of humor and I get a kick out of your comments but I bet your one TOUGH TRAINER in the gym! :drool::sistersteel:

HeavyDutyGuy
11-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Not a lower body exercise? Then what? Triceps? Nuts. Its the numero uno. But all the variations are all worthwile IMO.

fitbody
11-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Not a lower body exercise? Then what? Triceps? Nuts. Its the numero uno. But all the variations are all worthwile IMO.

exactly !
agree 100 %
:yep:

Baldiewonkanobi
11-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Bill Pearl told me that if you are stuck on an island with only one piece of equipment to train on pray it is a squat rack..."even your ears will grow".

Baldie

bob7708
12-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Bill Pearl told me that if you are stuck on an island with only one piece of equipment to train on pray it is a squat rack..."even your ears will grow".

Baldie

I am in total agreement with that statement just made by Baldiewonkanobi.
I've always said that if I were limited to doing just ONE exercise with weights I would choose doing squats. Squatting is, by far, the single most valuable exercise with weights that a person can ever do. Absolutely no doubt about it!!!

gman
12-01-2009, 06:48 PM
deads imo

probably because I can do them a helluva a lot better than squats! lol