PDA

View Full Version : Shoulders

Shawn Bellon
02-10-2009, 09:30 AM
by PTAaron

I was reading the August issue of Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, and it had a few great research studies in it... but one I thought I would post here was related to bodybuilders and shoulder dysfunction... (if this is in the wrong place please move it)

A study was performed comparing 54 men (29 bodybuilders and 25 nonbodybuilders) between the ages of 21 and 34, looking at shoulder range of motion and strength values between the 2 groups. Basically the study found that the bodybuilders had statistically significant loss of shoulder internal rotation (basically this was tested with the Apply scratch test... you try to touch your hands together behind your back with one arm coming from above and the other from below) which is characteristic of shoulder joint pathology. Meaning that there may not necessarily be a problem there now, but there is more likely to be one in the future.

The study also found that the bodybuilders were on average stronger based on % of bodyweight with most shoulder movements EXCEPT muscle testing of the middle and lower trapezius muscles - 2 muscle VERY important to normal scapular movement. There was only a 1.2% difference in strength of these muscles between the bodybuilders and nonbodybuilders. This suggests that the weight training programs most follow leave them with imbalances that can potentially lead to shoulder joint dysfunction.

How to fix the problem and prevent it from happening to you: This is the easy part... first is stretch, and stretch often. Be sure you are warmed up before you stretch, and hold the stretches 15-30 seconds and do not do bouncing movements. To stretch for internal rotation - hold a towel in one hand above your head like you were going to do a one arm dumbell tricep extension, grab the towel behind your back with your other hand and pull up on it with the arm above your head until you feel a "medium" stretch.
Second thing to do is strengthen the lower traps and middle traps - this is very simple: Lower traps - you lie on a bench face down with your arms hanging down. Lift your arms up like you are Superman flying and hold for a count of 5, repeat for 3 sets of 10. Add weight slowly as it gets easier. Middle traps - lying on your stomach on a bench lift your arms out to the side with your thumbs up (like doing reverse flyes, only do it with low weight and squeeze your shoulder blades together at the top) - repeat 10 times for 3 sets. Work your way up to doing all of these exercises for 3-5 sets of 15-20 reps - the goal here isn't high weight it is high reps for endurance.

Internal and external rotation exercises with the elbow at your side and a towel roll in your armpit area (puts the muscles in a more advantagous position), the middle and lower trap exercises that I described above, pec stretching, and internal rotation stretching typically help.
It is always beneficial to be evaluated in person by a professional to determine if you have any joint capsule tightness that is causing abnormal movement, because this is relatively easy to correct as well - if the exercises and correcting muscle imbalances don't work.
Also don't forget the importance of ice... fill a paper cup with water, freeze it, then peel off enough of the paper on top to expose the ice while leaving you enough paper to hold on to... rub the ice over the area of pain with moderate pressure for 5-7 minutes, or until it is numb and bright red. Then using your index and middle finger on the other hand, press in to the tendons and rub across them with moderate pressure - this isn't going ot be comfortable - the idea is to irritate the area to speed healing (sounds backwards, but it is a proven technique). Try doing this every day, and you should notice an overall decrease in the irritation as well.

DBowden
02-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Great article Future, thanks for posting it.

Shawn Bellon
02-10-2009, 09:58 AM
You are welcome sir. :)

orhochris
02-12-2009, 11:58 AM
just about to start rehab for shoulder surgery on this exact issue... Shoulder blade/scapula protracts big time when I try to use my right hand to reach my left hand that is over head behind the back like the article descrives. will definitely use this after and ask the PT what he thinks.. i'll pass on the results. Keep up the good work

towtheline
02-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Does anyone have the article that was done several months ago about the importance of warming up before you stretch? Sounds so simple, but watch how manyh BBers just start doing windmills and ballistic stretching movements before warming up. These guys will be rehabbing soon. Good post by future.

chucksm00th
02-16-2009, 09:17 PM
I had injured my shoulder a few years ago and its been an annoyance her and there, I was on celebrex for like 6 months but that didnt do much, eventually it got so bad i got a cortizone shot, that felt amazing but it only dulls the pain so you dont know if your re-injuring it. I happened to read about Aflutop and Adequan (got adequan) and it helped tremendously, within 2 wks i felt 70% better...check it out

ScorpioChiq
02-18-2009, 07:26 AM
I had injured my shoulder a few years ago and its been an annoyance her and there, I was on celebrex for like 6 months but that didnt do much, eventually it got so bad i got a cortizone shot, that felt amazing but it only dulls the pain so you dont know if your re-injuring it. I happened to read about Aflutop and Adequan (got adequan) and it helped tremendously, within 2 wks i felt 70% better...check it out

Great news! I picked up some adequan for my knees and plan to start it today - it occured to me that it may help my shoulder too. Did you run it at 1CC every other day?

Thanks for the article Future, .... does anyone have any more shoulder rehab/shoulder girdle strengthening exercises btw?

chucksm00th
02-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Great news! I picked up some adequan for my knees and plan to start it today - it occured to me that it may help my shoulder too. Did you run it at 1CC every other day?

Thanks for the article Future, .... does anyone have any more shoulder rehab/shoulder girdle strengthening exercises btw?

the doseages are 100mg 2x per week for 4 wks, basically a total of 8 shots.
I shot every mon and thurs....but tues and fri is fine etc etc..

If you get the horse versio is 500mg ml and you have to dose it down to .2cc or 20ius if using an insulin pin. The dog version is 100mg per 1cc. just remember that when dosing.

I started a thread in chem enhancement regarding how often it can be used but havent got an answer yet.

NaPent
03-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks for info, that was great

orhochris
03-16-2009, 02:02 PM
tlaked to my PT about this stuff. He agreed completely. this will also help scapular stabilization problems as well. the middle traps are important for that as well.

Larry C
03-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Good thread, used to have problems with my shoulders because of capoeira so I might practise those exercises.

TONYT82
04-04-2009, 03:07 PM
is stretching bad if your superspinatus tendon is slightly inflamed???