PDA

View Full Version : Drug Addict Stereotyping

Sistersteel
02-28-2009, 01:20 AM
It is not really a very long period of time before someone becomes physically addicted to drugs. The drugs will change the way the brain works as well as the composition of their blood. The person then becomes dependent on the drug and will be obsessed with getting more. Because of this, it can be said that the first time drugs were used was a voluntary action. However, the addictive substances in the drugs take over making it close to impossible for the user to stop.

Another stereotype that surrounds drug addiction is that those who take drugs are terrible people. More often than not, the person who is addicted to drugs has an addictive personality making him predisposed to becoming addicted. It doesn't matter what the drug is. The effect on the brain is the same. As soon as addictive substances start to affect the brain, the person will have a physical and mental desire for more drugs. That need will take over and nothing else will matter. The addiction is not a terrible person's disease. Although addicts often show erratic behavior, those who are predisposed to addiction do not necessarily have disturbing characteristics. Drug addiction can happen to everyone.

Among the most common misconception related to drug addiction is that no treatment will work unless the addicted wants it to work. Most drug addicts will say that they do not want treatment and many people who are addicted to drugs will enter a drug rehabilitation facility because they are forced to by a court or their families. Actual studies around this show that the reason why a person enters a treatment facility really does not matter. If the program is thorough and is actually effective, there is no reason why a person who initially did not want treatment cannot successfully go through the program and recover.

One of the saddest myths us that people who are addicted to drugs are a waste of time and effort. Addiction is a disease and it is something that the addict will suffer from if there is no help and support available. No one should be considered a hopeless case. There are many addicts who move past their addiction and go on to lead very productive lives. Moving past an addiction can be something that is very difficult to go through. However, living with an addiction is surely much harder.

There are many beliefs and stereotypes and drug addiction and recovery that are just not true. It is never a good idea to generalize about people and their behavior. Everyone is worthy of treatment and help. If the public were aware of the problems of drug addiction and how easily it could happen to anyone, they might be more likely to see an addicted person as someone who is worthy of help and respect.

mr.genetics
02-28-2009, 01:22 AM
Stereotypes are there for a reason. The people being stereotyped created them themselves by their actions and the public molded their view around that. It's the same as anything else. I am saying this as a recovered addict as well. There are people that don't fit the stereotypes, but so much more that do which is why they are there in the first place. Although I may not agree with stereotyping anyone, I understand why they are made.

Sistersteel
02-28-2009, 01:45 AM
I have to disagree.

Most stereotyping exists NOT because of the group's actions, but rather as a result of those who pass judgment based on their flawed and biased perception of what is deemed acceptable or normal. That is ignorance.

Everyone is guilty of a stereotype at some point or another. We have all said, "I hate people like this"...never fully taking into account the fact that we can't see the whole story or the fact that just because some people cheat a system doesn't mean all or even most people abuse a system. Yet, when we start reciting stereotypes and using them habitually with no thought...it shows a deep intolerance and even hatred towards a group of people we have quit trying to understand. At the least, we have dehumanized the people we ridicule and/or blame for our troubles. We have begun to use them and their life circumstances as a way to boost our own fragile egos. We damn them as a way to make ourselves feel superior.

mr.genetics
02-28-2009, 01:48 AM
How do you think they are made? People don't base assumptions off of 20% or less of a population. For the most part we base what we see the most of. It's not like the "good" addicts are in some secret club of secrecy and the others are all out to make a bad name for the rest. The general public has based a stereotype on what they have seen the most of in the past. This may not be true today, but it was at one point and that is why it's there.

Sistersteel
02-28-2009, 02:45 AM
How do you think they are made? People don't base assumptions off of 20% or less of a population. For the most part we base what we see the most of. It's not like the "good" addicts are in some secret club of secrecy and the others are all out to make a bad name for the rest. The general public has based a stereotype on what they have seen the most of in the past. This may not be true today, but it was at one point and that is why it's there.

People should not make assumptions, period. I am not arguing the fact that stereotyping DOES exist. We run across stereotypes everyday: White trash, red neck, tree-hugger, flaming liberal, fundamentalist..etc. And these references are certainly not flattering, making stereotyping nothing more than a mean spirited judgment. Stereotypes are nothing more than a superficial oversimplified conception of what people WANT to think. They are shortcuts that prevent you from doing the important research that allows you to develop a deeper understanding of who people really are.

mr.genetics
02-28-2009, 11:16 AM
I agree with you, however my argument is that they are made based on how things are displayed in a majority, however wrong that may be.

Sistersteel
02-28-2009, 01:07 PM
I appreciate the feedback big guy. Makes for some interesting debates in here. Thanks for contributing.

mr.genetics
02-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Well just know that I am totally on your side, and having been there, I wish there wasn't any stereotypes. A prime example is that a lot of women think that bodybuilders are self absorbed meat heads and won't date them right? I know I'm not even close to self absorbed, I don't think I'm a meat head, and neither would the people who know me personally, but because of the way I look, I am frequently judged that way. (thank god I have a kick ass girl). The point I am trying to make is that when there is a stereotype made, it could have been made a long time ago based on a majority of a population that either the public saw themselves, or the media portrayed. It's sad that they still stand, but you have to first understand them so that you can prevent them from holding you back. Just because someone thinks you are a certain way because of others that preceded or followed you, does not mean that you are part of that group, and you should make a larger effort to allow people to see that you are not. Too many people, whether they be "addicts" or "meat heads" allow themselves to be put into these categories because they are too lazy or scared to try and break out. My challenge to anyone here suffering from a stereotypical life, is change it. Make it known you aren't part of it. You aren't a bum addict or a self absorbed jock. You may have an addiction or you may enjoy working out, but that isn't who you are as a person. It is part of it, but not the whole picture, so why let everyone make it that way?

crashcrew56
03-07-2009, 07:05 PM
I think stereotypes are wrong in soo many cases, I've known a lot of really good people that have mixed up w/ the wrong substances

bigmikecox
03-10-2009, 09:17 PM
I personally know cops and doctors that are addicts and you would never sterotype them as a addict.

Sistersteel
03-11-2009, 01:17 AM
I personally know cops and doctors that are addicts and you would never sterotype them as a addict.

I spent some time in some upscale rehabs when my pocketbook allowed it.
Some of the most prominent and successful men and women in our society have substance abuse isses. Lawyers, doctors, senators, priests, teachers... addiction does not discriminate. I was in rehab with Sean Paul's father in Jamaica too. lol

Believe it or not you will find stereotyping among addicts. In rehab, your self worth was measured by your drug of choice and your choice of administration. As ridiculous as this sounds, If you did blow, you were an addict with class. Everybody wanted to be your friend. If you smoked cocaine, you were trash but still managed to fit in. But for IV users, you could not even find someone to room with.

I remember days when not only did no one want to room with me, but no one wanted to eat with me at the same table. And all the IV users besides me died over the years. Found my friend dead on the steps. She ran out to get a hit and with her tolerance having dropped after detox, that one hit killed her. She never made it back to her room.

One day I had an argument with one of the women at the facility. She was running her mouth about me and talking shit. Calling me a junkie. Self righteous bitch thought she was holier than thou because she shoved her shit up her nose and I put it up my arm.

So I go: Bitch, you've put more shit up your nose than I've ever put up my arm so you can kiss my ass.

She had nothing to say to that, because that is the damn truth.

bigmikecox
03-11-2009, 08:10 PM
An addict is an addict. People that have never had to deal with addiction can put sterotypes on addicts. Cocaine has been glorified so to speak in movies, where as crack is considered a "dirty" drug. WTF???

Dr. Joel Nathan
03-12-2009, 09:50 AM
One thing that characterizes people with addiction issues is low self esteem. Sometimes those that stereotype what an addict is are addicts themselves or have family members who have this disease. Don't criticize them, just know that they have their own problems and are much more interested in themselves than in you.

If someone stereotypes you, have no fear. Other people's opinion is just that.

Joel Nathan, MD