PDA

View Full Version : AM Training - Pre/Post Workout Nutrition ?

Cooker
11-10-2009, 07:55 AM
I have started training 1st thing in the morning and I am trying to figure out what might be the best peri-workout nutrition protocol.

The problem is I usually hit the gym within 20 minutes of waking up. I don't want anything too heavy in my gut while working out and after my workout I do not have much of an appetite.

What might be the best way to handle the peri-workout nutrition of an AM training session? If it matters I am carb cycling so carbs are not out of the question. Is training on an empty stomach a really that bad of an idea?

Thanks.

jixxxer
11-11-2009, 10:59 AM
surprised no one responded. Im no expert but what I do, being in the same position as u, is wake, take a protien shake mixed with oatmeal. Pretty much the same post workout but with a lil more fast acting carbs.

UnfinishedBusiness
11-13-2009, 12:08 PM
I have started training 1st thing in the morning and I am trying to figure out what might be the best peri-workout nutrition protocol.

The problem is I usually hit the gym within 20 minutes of waking up. I don't want anything too heavy in my gut while working out and after my workout I do not have much of an appetite.

What might be the best way to handle the peri-workout nutrition of an AM training session? If it matters I am carb cycling so carbs are not out of the question. Is training on an empty stomach a really that bad of an idea?

Thanks.

I train first thing in am as well.

I have played around with many different things.

What I do now is wake up about 45 min. before training, I lose sleep because of it.

I pee, wash my hands and run down stairs to eat as quickly as possible.

I usually have sludge made with wpi, a tiny bit of NPB and 1 serving of oat flour.

After I eat, I then wash up and get ready for my workout and I usually have some time to kill.

I personally cannot train on an empty stomach, and really need about 45 min. after eating.

Would like the extra sleep, but its the price to pay

tony63
11-13-2009, 12:50 PM

Thanks.

Training on an empty stomach is not a great idea. It can lead to catabolism.

I also workout in the AM. My preworkout is

45g whey shake and a whole grain bagel with jam- around 45g of carbs.
I eat this about 30 minutes before going to the gym.