PDA

View Full Version : Excitotoxins...

Youngguns
02-28-2009, 07:07 PM
If glutamate is so bad for you because it's a single amino acid, what about leucine and others we take?

NPCKnight
02-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Glutamte isnt bad BECAUSE its a single amino acid. That is not what makes it MSG bad for you. MSG causes overstimulation of your neurotransmitters in your brain. When nerve cells get fucked with and you have high levels in the brain you open yourself up to a whole host of potential problems, some of which we may not even know about yet.

Leucine on the other hand stimulates and initiates protein synthesis...

Youngguns
03-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Glutamte isnt bad BECAUSE its a single amino acid. That is not what makes it MSG bad for you. MSG causes overstimulation of your neurotransmitters in your brain. When nerve cells get fucked with and you have high levels in the brain you open yourself up to a whole host of potential problems, some of which we may not even know about yet.

Leucine on the other hand stimulates and initiates protein synthesis...
I was told by a neuro surgeon that the reason glutamate was so bad was because it is a single amino and our bodies don't know how to handle it. We were never meant to eat single aminos in nature.

orhochris
03-03-2009, 05:59 PM
IN college, my professor teaching "nutrition for exercise" course said that individual amino's were counterproductive. Her reasoning and the other "scholarly Folks" is that to build muscle, you have to have a specific ratio of all the essential and non-essential amino acids represented.

Think of it as a jigsaw puzzle... you need every piece of the puzzle to finish the picture. if you keep giving your body single aminos... its like tetris and the pieces you don't need keep coming down the shoot to be digested in the bloodstream. since your body may need the "L" shape piece... but it keeps getting sent that square piece. then it cna't finish building the protein your body is working on.

taking extra amino's is like having 9 corner pieces for a puzzle... wihtout an even arrangement of all the others they are just left over till the other pieces arive to build mroe muscle.

orhochris
03-03-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm not saying I agree... I still add leucine and others to my shakes...

but if you think about it... thats the reason vegetarians have to be so meticulous with their food sources... cuz certain amino acid profiles don't mesh with others.. which means they cna't build the muscle/protein they need. which is why they mix things like beans and rice so they get complementary amino's

Youngguns
05-18-2010, 03:13 PM
IN college, my professor teaching "nutrition for exercise" course said that individual amino's were counterproductive. Her reasoning and the other "scholarly Folks" is that to build muscle, you have to have a specific ratio of all the essential and non-essential amino acids represented.

Think of it as a jigsaw puzzle... you need every piece of the puzzle to finish the picture. if you keep giving your body single aminos... its like tetris and the pieces you don't need keep coming down the shoot to be digested in the bloodstream. since your body may need the "L" shape piece... but it keeps getting sent that square piece. then it cna't finish building the protein your body is working on.

taking extra amino's is like having 9 corner pieces for a puzzle... wihtout an even arrangement of all the others they are just left over till the other pieces arive to build mroe muscle.
That frame of thought is certainly flawed. You're simply getting an ample supply of a specific amino acid which tells your body it's ok to ramp up protein synthesis because the precise amino is readily available.

Jason Newman
05-18-2010, 07:02 PM

the thing is i dont think people take aminos such as glutamine or leucine to directly be put into tissue,

as far as myself i take them more for the cascade of reactions they have on the body such as leucing stimulating protein sysntheis so that the protein you eat about an hour later is more productive, i agree with your teachers, that you can not take a single amino and think that said amino will be laced into the muscle for growth constantly it will only occur when your body is short of that aminos to hit its peak ratio