PDA

View Full Version : Weight Training, Daily Protein and Metabolism

bob7708
11-13-2009, 04:10 PM
This may have been alraedy asked but I'll ask it anyway. I am back into weight training after several years layoff.

1.) I take 'GNC Liquid protien' or 'Twin Labs Liquid Amino Acids' as a supplement after training and with some food. About how many grams of protein a day should I take in to sustain and promote muscle growth while building muscle mass?

2.) Does building muscle mass with weights increase your metabolic rate to the point where you can actually start loseing weight (fat)?

3.) How often a week should you train your large muscle masses like your legs, quads, calves and thighs when building muscle mass? Two or three times a week? I train these areas three times a week but feel I might be be better if I only trained them twice a week. Can I expect much muscle growth in this area by training only twice a week?

buckimscl
11-13-2009, 06:52 PM
This may have been alraedy asked but I'll ask it anyway. I am back into weight training after several years layoff.

1.) I take 'GNC Liquid protien' or 'Twin Labs Liquid Amino Acids' as a supplement after training and with some food. About how many grams of protein a day should I take in to sustain and promote muscle growth while building muscle mass?

2.) Does building muscle mass with weights increase your metabolic rate to the point where you can actually start loseing weight (fat)?

3.) How often a week should you train your large muscle masses like your legs, quads, calves and thighs when building muscle mass? Two or three times a week? I train these areas three times a week but feel I might be be better if I only trained them twice a week. Can I expect much muscle growth in this area by training only twice a week?

Bob,
1. You should try to consume 1-1.5 grams per lb per day. Ideally the majority should come from whole foods spread out over 5-6 meals a day. Don't become overly dependent on protein drinks. Whole foods are best. Lean proteins like b/s chicken, turkey, tilapia, salmon, lean beef. Flank steak is an excellent choice and so is bison if you can get it.

2. Yes, your metabolism will increase and stay increased after you are done training for a period of time but nutrition is still an important key to becoming lean. If it were just training then powerlifters would look like greek gods.

3. I hit my majors (Legs, chest, back, shoulders) once a week. The popular mindset back in the 80's was two to three times a week but your body can reach a state of overtraining and growth is stagnant. Most bodybuilders train their major parts once a week. If you are a new person to training then initially you can probably train them twice a week without reaching a state of overtraining. My current split looks like this:
M-Quads, hams, calves
T-Chest/Tri'/Abs
W-off
R-Back/Bi's/Abs
F- Delts/Traps/ light tris'
S & S off
I do cardio 6 days a week but I am prepping right now. Do not neglect your cardio because the most important muscle is the heart.

bob7708
11-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks Buckimscl. I will follow your suggestions. I know what you mean about the 80's and the golden rule of three times a week. I am now just doing my major bodyparts just twice a week...and no more. :)
Thanks again!