PDA

View Full Version : ruptured implant

tammyp
11-17-2009, 06:12 PM
a friend of mine got her boobs done by the same dr as me 2 yrs ago. she has silicone overs, like i do. she says one ruptured....for no reason. wtf? have any of you heard of this?

Nitro Fueled Barbie/Mel Marx
11-17-2009, 06:22 PM
this is why we get insurance. sometimes (regardless if they are silicone or saline) they will just rupture. it's on the insurance form.

Tatyana
11-17-2009, 06:24 PM
No.

GirlyMuscle
11-17-2009, 06:28 PM
You scared me, Tammy! I read the title of the post and I know yours are only about a year old.

Dr Rick Silverman, who is a plastic surgeon and competitive bodybuilder, says that implants are made to take a hit by a linebacker and not rupture. I'm gonna guess this was a freak incident.

Curt James
11-17-2009, 06:38 PM
a friend of mine got her boobs done by the same dr as me 2 yrs ago. she has silicone overs, like i do. she says one ruptured....for no reason. wtf? have any of you heard of this?

Um, don't infract me, Tammy. Freak accidents or occurrences do happen. No knowledge of silicone overs, but my first Harley's belt drive separated. They're kevlar and are supposed to be able to support the weight of a freaking car and not break. Mine simply separated....for no reason. :dunno:

Okay, nothing to do with boobs, but perhaps the freakishly inexplicable applies here.

Sledge
11-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Boobs and belt drives. Nothing but trouble, both can leave you stranded scratching your head wondering what happened.

Tu Holmes
11-17-2009, 06:49 PM
boobs and belt drives. Nothing but trouble, both can leave you stranded scratching your head wondering what happened.

qfmft

Nitro Fueled Barbie/Mel Marx
11-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Boobs and belt drives. Nothing but trouble, both can leave you stranded scratching your head wondering what happened.

LOL 10x:D

GirlyMuscle
11-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Is that why you went with pectittys instead of boobs?

fitmomma3
11-17-2009, 09:19 PM
i knew a girlfriends that broke but they were saline...she was taking a shower and washing up there and went over one and it was flat lol but i havn't heard of a silicone just rupturing for no reason... weird, but the implant itself is under warranty but you still have to pay for the anesthesia and the other surgery charges (minimal but still sucks to have to go back in)

MattPT88
11-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Well it can happen. Her immune system, more than likely, attacked it because it was seen as a foreign body. The body only sees in "self" and "not self" so chances are it saw it as "not self" so it sent in the troops.

This is kind of a freak accident though. Breast implants are ungodly durable. They can handle temps of 300F+, 400+ lb of pressure, take a fast ball, etc you get the point. I watched a show about how durable they are and they ran it through a battery of tests. The one it failed though was a bullet coming out of a gun. So dont get shot it wont help ya...hahaha

Matt

powergirl
11-18-2009, 01:26 AM
My friend woke up one morning and one of hers was flat. Just kind of slow-leaked it's way out all night (it was saline).
Not that great of a surprise to wake up! (I think she was 14-16 weeks out from a show too!)

tight booty
11-18-2009, 05:55 AM
I've never heard of it happening with silicon, but with saline yes it does.
And my surgeon told me that they are extremely durable. He said a truck could hit me head on, probably kill me but my implants would be fine.
I think with anything though, you can get a "dud" and in this case your friend got dud silicon cohesive gel implants.

tammyp
11-18-2009, 06:44 AM
i gotta admit..after she texted me i went into the bathroom at work and checked mine out..lol. she just had a baby, gained a good amount of weight and breast fed. unless that kid has a set of serious teeth ....i cant see how that had a thing to do with it.

TheTransformator
11-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Can't you put a claim down on the implant manufacturer...?

Isn't there a risk for some auto imune illness if they break...?

Catwoman
11-18-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't often post but since this just happened to me I thought I would comment. Silicone implants can rupture and no there isn't a risk of auto immune illness. The silicone usually stays contained in the capsule of scar tissue that forms. Replacing the implant is not a big deal but a little more work to clean the pocket is needed. The costs are usually not covered by insurance which sucks. The implants were not meant to last a lifetime, only about 10-15 years. Mine were 19 years so I hade a pretty good run. I had to replace mine in October and in a week or two I will be back in the gym. I found out mine was ruptured through my an ultrasound and an MRI. Often with silicone, a rupture can go undetected for a long time. If you think there is a problem or if they are really old, an MRI is recommended.

TheTransformator
11-18-2009, 07:45 AM
There is alot out there about women having serious health issues after a leak...

tight booty
11-18-2009, 09:05 AM
There is alot out there about women having serious health issues after a leak...
That was with the old silicon implants. When they ruptured, the silicon flowed through the body. But now it is contained in cohesive gel bag and if it ruptures then it can't just flow everywhere. It stays around the chest in lumps, I believe.
I actually did know a woman at the gym and she had the old silicon implants. She said she got them 25 years ago for her husband. They felt a little hard she said and so she got my surgeon to check them out. He said it was a build up of calicum but other than that they were fine. He said if she wanted to replace them she could, but she chose not to.

BadAssBarbie
11-18-2009, 10:27 AM
This just happened to my aunt last week. She got her implants about 15 yrs ago though. She was told the implants were saline, but it didn't absorb into her system and deflate. It's is hard and painful, which makes me think its a silicone implant. I told her she needs to get it out asap!

tammyp
11-18-2009, 01:14 PM
this shit just freaks me out!

figure_22
11-19-2009, 05:07 PM
this shit just freaks me out!

Me too, I was really considering getting implants this winter, but decided against it. Gonna wait until I have kiddos to reconsider....but all this rupture talk is scaring me further and further away!

tight booty
11-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I think the risk of an implant made of silicon cohesive gel rupturing is low. It probably does happen but not that often and in the case of Tammys friend, I bet there was a default with the implant. So don't worry about it girls, no point really in worrying about something that may never even happen! :)

BadAssBarbie
12-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Me too, I was really considering getting implants this winter, but decided against it. Gonna wait until I have kiddos to reconsider....but all this rupture talk is scaring me further and further away!

I donno if this helps, but I got my first set of implants when my 1st baby was 2 yrs old. I didn't plan on having any more kids, but...oops!!! Anyway, even with implants(under the muscle)I was able to breastfeed my 2nd baby! I nursed him for 15 months...no problems at all!!

Catwoman
12-09-2009, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't let the risk of rupture deter you if you really want implants. I never regretted my decision to get them. I had mine for nineteen years before they discovered the rupture. It was scary at first but as it turned out it was really not a big deal (other than the cost of replacing them) . I just had them replaced in October and I am back in the gym already. I never had kids but I have a lot of friends who had implants and had kids and they are fine. Just discuss all of your concerns with a qualified doctor. Good luck!

fitbody
01-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I've never heard of it happening with silicon, but with saline yes it does.
And my surgeon told me that they are extremely durable. He said a truck could hit me head on, probably kill me but my implants would be fine.
I think with anything though, you can get a "dud" and in this case your friend got dud silicon cohesive gel implants.

mine are silicone and they started leaking after 13 yrs and got replaced

a rupture could depend if she did something to cause it to happen
i've been careful not to do anything to strongly impact them
stopped me from alotta sports i woulda done if i hadn't had them
but this is the price i was willing to pay for the look
maybe it was a faulty sack

GeminiJedi
01-15-2010, 06:00 PM
This is kind of a freak accident though. Breast implants are ungodly durable. They can handle temps of 300F+, 400+ lb of pressure, take a fast ball, etc you get the point. I watched a show about how durable they are and they ran it through a battery of tests. The one it failed though was a bullet coming out of a gun. So dont get shot it wont help ya...hahaha

Matt

"Manswers" on Spike. They re-aired that last night.

And I was told at a consultation that the new silicone ones can rupture, but the only way to know is with MRI (because they're like gummy bears and the silicone doesn't leak out like saline).