PDA

View Full Version : Why would a woman's period shorten?

Frosty
11-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Asking this for a woman I know. She's 34 and she commented on how her periods are only 2-3 days now and she doesn't know why. She's not really lean or anything like that. She does train a lot, but not what I would consider really hard.

Any ideas?

Suzy Brown
11-20-2009, 01:57 PM
In my experience, it all has to do with fat intake & minerals. Less body-fat & less fat in the diet, the easier/ shorter they get. Same with minerals, like iron: when I take iron supplements, they are quick & painless.

*RedStar*
11-20-2009, 01:59 PM
In my experience, it all has to do with fat intake & minerals. Less body-fat & less fat in the diet, the easier/ shorter they get. Same with minerals, like iron: when I take iron supplements, they are quick & painless.

you don't think hormones are the leading factor for this change?

Suzy Brown
11-20-2009, 02:13 PM
you don't think hormones are the leading factor for this change?

I suppose ultimately, but changing the diet (along with her regular workouts) is probably behind the hormonal change.

I'm not particularly educated in this feild, I was really saying what I've found to be true for me. If I eat a shitty diet with a lot of junk and don't take my supps, I'll have a worse monthly. If I have a cleaner diet and supplement, its easy peasy.

I'll go on to mention I'm particularly, maybe atypically, healthy down there. I don't think I've ever known anyone to be as textbook as me in that department.

Frosty
11-20-2009, 02:57 PM
I forgot to mention that while shorter, she's started to experience cramping and pain when she used to not have that when they were longer.

Suzy Brown
11-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Is she on BC or any other med? Anything change with those? Any changes in diet at all? any other abnormal symptoms?

If she has nothing else going on, I'd say wait a month or 2 and see if it continues. If it continues, she might want to see her Dr.

Frosty
11-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Is she on BC or any other med? Anything change with those? Any changes in diet at all? any other abnormal symptoms?

If she has nothing else going on, I'd say wait a month or 2 and see if it continues. If it continues, she might want to see her Dr.

I don't know of what she's taking BC-wise. I can always ask to see what's up there.

I'm kind of suspecting that it may have to do with diet and stress as she's getting older. Maybe she got away with things fine when she was younger but now it may be causing issues. She said in her family the women seem to stop bleeding on their periods by 40, so not sure if the shortened part is hereditary or something. She isn't always consistent with diet and I've suspected some things such as an imbalanced essential fat ratio, lack of magnesium, lack of fat soluble vitamins and stress when it comes to the cramps.

Of course I can only do so much. She listens, it's just she doesn't always do and keep up with things.

Suzy Brown
11-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Every body is just a little different but hopefully you have a few clues to go on. Check fats & minerals is the best suggestion I have for you.

Also remember the quality of the supps, & that she might have slightly different needs than others you've worked with.

As long as she's not experiencing anything worrisome, like no flow, or debilitating pain, or discharge during the rest of the month, chances are she's just off her own kilter and nothing is actually 'wrong.'

Amber-Leigh
11-20-2009, 03:42 PM
When I changed to a keto diet for a few months my period stopped altogether. When I eat clean it's a lot shorter. When I eat crap it's way worse. I do believe it has a lot to do with diet, hormone changes and stress. When I'm uder a lot of stress my period skips a month here and there.

If she's getting worse cramps and pain she should see her Dr.

sassy69
11-25-2009, 05:05 PM
FWIW, mine went from a miserable 7 days when I was in my teens and these days its like a minor 2 day affair. I think that is common as you get older.

The cramping, if she's on a new birth control pill or changed something recently, I'd give it a few more months - if it persists, then I'd visit the OB-GYN and ask.

Tatyana
11-25-2009, 05:31 PM
I have always had really short periods (2-3 days), and the cramping on day one can be brutal at times.